A fail-safe circuit will destroy others. -- Klipstein

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: Hotmail quit working with SM

SubjectAuthor
* Hotmail quit working with SMJukka Lahtinen
`* Hotmail quit working with SMDirk Fieldhouse
 `* Hotmail quit working with SM...winston
  `* Hotmail quit working with SMDirk Fieldhouse
   `* Hotmail quit working with SM...winston
    `* Hotmail quit working with SMAnt
     `* Hotmail quit working with SM...winston
      `* Hotmail quit working with SMNuno Silva
       `- Hotmail quit working with SM...winston

1
Hotmail quit working with SM

<87fs2a8fvw.fsf@sonera.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1107&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1107

From: jtfjdehf@hotmail.com.invalid (Jukka Lahtinen)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Hotmail quit working with SM
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 23:35:31 +0300
 by: Jukka Lahtinen - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 20:35 UTC

Seamonkey 2.53.17-1 on Fedora 38 Linux:
http://hotmail.com or https://hotmail.com:

Secure Connection Failed
The connection to www.microsoft.com has terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred.
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

At least since Sunday 15th of October.

With Firefox it works.
Do they have some expired certificate that Seamonkey rejects but Firefox
doesn't mind?

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Re: Hotmail quit working with SM

<Hq6cnRAdcsvX0rL4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1109&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1109

Subject: Re: Hotmail quit working with SM
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 04:21:45 +0100
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 03:21 UTC

On 16/10/2023 21:35, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Seamonkey 2.53.17-1 on Fedora 38 Linux:
> http://hotmail.com or https://hotmail.com:
>
> Secure Connection Failed
> The connection to www.microsoft.com has terminated unexpectedly. Some
> data may have been transferred.
> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity
> of the received data could not be verified.
>    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
>
> At least since Sunday 15th of October.
>
> With Firefox it works.
> Do they have some expired certificate that Seamonkey rejects but Firefox
> doesn't mind?

I don't get any UI feedback like that though the destination page is a
O365 promo page with no sign of offering any way to launch or subscribe
to a free email program. Nonetheless it assures me that I've found the
right place for Hotmail. Perhaps you only get further if logged-in to
live.com. And really, JS from 3 different base domains including
countless microsoft.com subdomains.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: Hotmail quit working with SM

<ugo0pa$3h1ok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1110&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1110

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 03:16:57 -0400
 by: ...winston - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 07:16 UTC

Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
> On 16/10/2023 21:35, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
>> Seamonkey 2.53.17-1 on Fedora 38 Linux:
>> http://hotmail.com or https://hotmail.com:
>>
>> Secure Connection Failed
>> The connection to www.microsoft.com has terminated unexpectedly. Some
>> data may have been transferred.
>> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity
>> of the received data could not be verified.
>>    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
>>
>> At least since Sunday 15th of October.
>>
>> With Firefox it works.
>> Do they have some expired certificate that Seamonkey rejects but Firefox
>> doesn't mind?
>
> I don't get any UI feedback like that though the destination page is a
> O365 promo page with no sign of offering any way to launch or subscribe
> to a free email program. Nonetheless it assures me that I've found the
> right place for Hotmail. Perhaps you only get further if logged-in to
> live.com. And really, JS from 3 different base domains including
> countless microsoft.com subdomains.
>
> /df

Agreed, no feedback like that.
Different results here with SM 2.53.17.1
The landing spot for SM 2.53.17 using the http/https hotmail.com url
yields a web page with Microsoft 365 in the url, but on that page two
options are evident
= Signon or Create a free account.
If you create a free account, you are starting the process to creating a
Microsoft Account. The free account options use an existing email
address(e.g. your isp.com, gmail, yahoo, etc) or get a new email
address(the choices for new are of the form outlook.com or hotmail.com)

Accessing hotmil.com with either http or https yields a sign in option.
Clicking sign-on provides the usual Microsoft account sign-in dialog box
for username and password.
Entering a legitimate Microsoft account email address and password
yields an https://outlook.live.com/mail screen with a blue envelope that
fails to open to the Microsft Account's Inbox(all MSFT accounts have a
web outlook.live.com Inbox).

Here's where it gets interesting.
If one enters onedrive.com in the SM address bar, it loads OneDrive web UI
If one enters account.microsoft.com in the SM address bar, it loads the
Microsoft Account entire account Profile options(Info, Privacy,
Security, Payment/Billing, Subscriptions/Services, Devices)
- this(OneDrive and Profile) works when a valid MSFT account is
entered, b/c the valid MSFT account signed on the Microsoft online
service successfully(even in SeaMonkey)
=> i.e. one can access pretty much everything for that respective
Microsoft Account, all online services, but not the Microsoft Accounts
web based email Inbox
Note: Outlook.live.com is the main redirected web site when entering
or using an http or https prefix for hotmail.com, live.com, and
outlook.com in a browser.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Hotmail quit working with SM

<8QadnUN-paYUtqz4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1112&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1112

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 14:13:44 +0100
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 13:13 UTC

On 18/10/2023 08:16, ...winston wrote:
> Different results here with SM 2.53.17.1

No, that looks like the promo poage I saw but more fully described, thanks.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: Hotmail quit working with SM

<ugrg0l$dei6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1114&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1114

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 10:55:16 -0400
 by: ...winston - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 14:55 UTC

Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
> On 18/10/2023 08:16, ...winston wrote:
>> Different results here with SM 2.53.17.1
>
> No, that looks like the promo poage I saw but more fully described, thanks.
>
> /df

You're welcome.

Thanks for the clarification.

It might be helpful, if the op followed up and explain the purpose of
accessing http/https hotmail.com which is only a landing page(not a web
site) to access/logon to a Microsoft Accounts online services or create
a new account(using an existing email address) or create a new account
of the form(outlook.com or hotmail.com)

Until then, like others - can't duplicate the error(Secure Connection
failure, etc.)in SeaMonkey.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Hotmail quit working with SM

<qFOdna-mwIFZCqz4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1116&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1116

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 20:55:32 +0000
 by: Ant - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 20:55 UTC

Ditto. I was able to sign into my old Hotmail account from the mid 90s. However, loading the email service seems to get stuck at https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/ with its animated blue old school mail icon (paper into envelope). :(
--
"This is what the Lord Almighty says: 'Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.'" ???Zechariah 7:9-10. (A)estivations, allergies, heat, spams, etc. again. So many snail mails (late last night) this wk.
| |o o| |

Re: Hotmail quit working with SM

<ugs6j0$imj8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1117&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1117

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 17:20:33 -0400
 by: ...winston - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 21:20 UTC

Ant wrote:
> ...winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
>>>
>>> No, that looks like the promo poage I saw but more fully described, thanks.
>>>
>>> /df
>>>
>> You're welcome.
>
>> Thanks for the clarification.
>
>> It might be helpful, if the op followed up and explain the purpose of
>> accessing http/https hotmail.com which is only a landing page(not a web
>> site) to access/logon to a Microsoft Accounts online services or create
>> a new account(using an existing email address) or create a new account
>> of the form(outlook.com or hotmail.com)
>
>> Until then, like others - can't duplicate the error(Secure Connection
>> failure, etc.)in SeaMonkey.
>
> Ditto. I was able to sign into my old Hotmail account from the mid 90s. However, loading the email service seems to get stuck at https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/ with its animated blue old school mail icon (paper into envelope). :(

Correct, that's the symptom that the op should be seeing.
I suspect the op's Secure Connection problem were due to something else
besides SeaMonkey(or its default settings)

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Hotmail quit working with SM

<ugs9jr$jh7h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1118&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1118

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 23:16:16 +0100
 by: Nuno Silva - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 22:16 UTC

On 2023-10-19, ...winston wrote:

> Ant wrote:
[...]
>> Ditto. I was able to sign into my old Hotmail account from the mid
>> 90s. However, loading the email service seems to get stuck at
>> https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/ with its animated blue old school
>> mail icon (paper into envelope). :(
>
> Correct, that's the symptom that the op should be seeing.
> I suspect the op's Secure Connection problem were due to something
> else besides SeaMonkey(or its default settings)

Here https://outlook.office.com/mail/ appears to be stuck in the blue
envelope too. I wonder if it's this:

> [...]/owa.mailindex.js, line 2: SyntaxError: bad method definition

None of the three built-in UA settings worked, but the following
two overrides worked for me:

"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"

and

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:52.59.12) Gecko/20160044
Firefox/52.59.12"

(This was tested using User-Agent Switcher, so I'm not sure whether a
site-specific override for office.com will be sufficient or not.

Also: this was on a SeaMonkey profile where I was already logged in, so
I didn't test the login form/page.)

--
Nuno Silva

Re: Hotmail quit working with SM

<ugt6il$tnk6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1119&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1119

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 02:26:28 -0400
 by: ...winston - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 06:26 UTC

Nuno Silva wrote:
> On 2023-10-19, ...winston wrote:
>
>> Ant wrote:
> [...]
>>> Ditto. I was able to sign into my old Hotmail account from the mid
>>> 90s. However, loading the email service seems to get stuck at
>>> https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/ with its animated blue old school
>>> mail icon (paper into envelope). :(
>>
>> Correct, that's the symptom that the op should be seeing.
>> I suspect the op's Secure Connection problem were due to something
>> else besides SeaMonkey(or its default settings)
>
> Here https://outlook.office.com/mail/ appears to be stuck in the blue
> envelope too. I wonder if it's this:
>
>> [...]/owa.mailindex.js, line 2: SyntaxError: bad method definition
>
> None of the three built-in UA settings worked, but the following
> two overrides worked for me:
>
> "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"
>
> and
>
> "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:52.59.12) Gecko/20160044
> Firefox/52.59.12"
>
> (This was tested using User-Agent Switcher, so I'm not sure whether a
> site-specific override for office.com will be sufficient or not.
>
> Also: this was on a SeaMonkey profile where I was already logged in, so
> I didn't test the login form/page.)

Sounds similar to a much earlier script type issue(a few years ago)
where SM yielded a spinning cursor trying to load the a MSFT account
Calendar app.

Recently, but only lasted for less than a day and a different backend
problem, accessing OneDrive(immediately after the latest version
number/update was pushed down in Win10/11 using the OneDrive app's View
Online option yielded a browser window with a 403 error(Permisson
related) with an Azure Gateway notice.

--