Somebody's terminal is dropping bits. I found a pile of them over in the corner.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Low Review #s good / unusual games.

SubjectAuthor
* Low Review #s good / unusual games.Justisaur
+* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.Spalls Hurgenson
|`* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.Justisaur
| `- Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.Spalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.rms
|`* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.Justisaur
| `* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.candycanearter07
|  +* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.Spalls Hurgenson
|  |`- Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.candycanearter07
|  `* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.Justisaur
|   `- Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.candycanearter07
+- Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.Mike S.
+* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.candycanearter07
|`* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.Justisaur
| `- Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.candycanearter07
+- Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.Ross Ridge
+* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.candycanearter07
|`* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.Justisaur
| `* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.candycanearter07
|  `* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.Justisaur
|   `- Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.candycanearter07
`* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.candycanearter07
 `* Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.JAB
  `- Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.candycanearter07

1
Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvosid$1mlsl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418545&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418545

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Low Review #s good / unusual games.
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:15:06 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:15 UTC

Someone posted elsewhere asking for sub 1000 reviewed Steam games that
are unique. I had quite a few, so I thought I'd share. I know I've
posted about all these before, but we have new people since most of
those, so here you go:

Cosmochoria - The Little Prince (small worlds) sci-fi 2d side roguelite,
this one is the most under-reviewed for how good it is, best on my list,
and top 3 roguelites I've played. Someone labeled it the real No-Man's
Sky. It's got some issues, but you can play until the end just fine.

Death Skid Marks - Roguelite meets Spy Hunter with a BAAAD attitude
(lots of swearing.)

3030 Deathwar - Reminds me of a bit grittier Star Control II, has a bit
more story and interaction.

88 heroes - silly superheroes try to get to top of tower before all 88
of them have died. Platformer.

Deadly tower of monsters - 50's sci-fi.

Freedom Force - criminally under-revewed old supers game.

Void Scrappers - Simpler/shorter Vampire Survivors for asteroids type game.

Zorbus - Very accessible rogue-like (not lite.) You get to fight gods
for their position at the end. My favorite of this genre I've found so far.

Super Hero League of Hoboken - Very old 'supers' turn based rpg. Very
silly, and really it's more like Gamma World as the supers are in a post
apoc world and are mutants. I remember one of them has something like
the ability to see what's in a closed pizza box or something like that.

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages - Star Control II type game, only has a
lot more going on, including multiplayer, and an insanely weird story
mode, and the ships/weapons get pretty complicated and overpowered. $5
I'd easily pay $25.

Invincible Presents: Atom Eve - I normally hate Telltale type games, but
it has a better mix of JRPG type combat and roleplaying. I also love
Invincible. Well worth the $4.

What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<20i02jd36b3qmrn3ihn4fam30dr7t4oe97@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418551&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418551

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:19:27 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:19 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:15:06 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Someone posted elsewhere asking for sub 1000 reviewed Steam games that
>are unique. I had quite a few, so I thought I'd share. I know I've
>posted about all these before, but we have new people since most of
>those, so here you go:
>

>Cosmochoria - The Little Prince (small worlds) sci-fi 2d side roguelite,
>this one is the most under-reviewed for how good it is, best on my list,
>and top 3 roguelites I've played. Someone labeled it the real No-Man's
>Sky. It's got some issues, but you can play until the end just fine.

My god, it is the Little Prince. I mean, no, not really, but probably
as close as we'd ever get nowadays.

(I never really liked Saint-Exupéry's book. It seemed such a pointless
tale. But it had a unique and memorable style and the game seems to
capture some of that. Not much... but some ;-)

>Super Hero League of Hoboken - Very old 'supers' turn based rpg. Very
>silly, and really it's more like Gamma World as the supers are in a post
>apoc world and are mutants. I remember one of them has something like
>the ability to see what's in a closed pizza box or something like that.

This is an old classic from 1994. It might only have low reviews
today, but it was quite well reviewed back when it was new. I actually
visited the real-life Hoboken just to compare it to this game
(unsurprisingly, it's completely different from the post-apocalyptic
version... even if it is in New Jersey ;-)

>What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?

I wouldn't even know where to look to see how many reviews any of the
game I play actually have. ;-)

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvpmsk$1s7cb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418553&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418553

From: rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:44:19 -0600
 by: rms - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 23:44 UTC

>What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?
Well this one has 1300 reviews, so close. But I liked my review of it :)
so I'll repost it here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/960980/Apsulov_End_of_Gods/
I'll give a strong thumbsup for this first-person sci-fi horror
adventure-action (mostly adventure) title. This is a dark thriller set in an
underground research center, with several visits to mythic other-worlds
along the way, as you slowly discover your purpose and help combat an evil
force that has seized control of the base.

The theme here is all Norse mythology, and you'll find yourself more and
more immersed in this mythos as you proceed deeper into the base. The
soundscape intensifies this immersion, as you are surrounded by distant
screams, squishy goo and other effects, and a very good musical soundtrack
with ethereal chants or driving Viking drumbeats. Liken Apsulov to something
of a mix of Soma and Hellblade: Senuas's Sacrifice, and you'll have a sense
of the atmosphere.

Levels are quite dark -- I'd definitely play at night with headphones. And
turn down difficulty, as combat is not the focus here and you'll be avoiding
enemies until later, when a weapon is acquired. The story is partially
revealed through audiotapes scattered throughout, so take the time to look
for and listen to these. My one complaint would be a somewhat maze-like
quality to the levels, and pathfinding will consume some of your playtime,
but the total length of the game is 5-7 hours, so this is not a big deal.

I paid $16 the last sale, and feel it's worth the full price of $20.
Apsulov: End of Gods is only the second game (behind Control) I've fully
played through this year, and I chose well. Thanks to Angry Demon Studio for
an enjoyable couple evenings battling the Trickster God!

rms

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvq1il$21ppj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418554&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418554

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:46:44 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 02:46 UTC

On 4/17/2024 4:44 PM, rms wrote:
>> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?
>   Well this one has 1300 reviews, so close.  But I liked my review of
> it :) so I'll repost it here:

1000 is probably a bit on the extra low side, maybe 3000, or 5000? I'm
not really sure where the cutoff is. If it's good and got little
exposure, that's good enough.

> https://store.steampowered.com/app/960980/Apsulov_End_of_Gods/

That sure looks cool, added to my wishlist!

I should really play Hellblade at some point too.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvq22t$21ppj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418555&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418555

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:55:24 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 02:55 UTC

On 4/17/2024 3:19 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:15:06 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Someone posted elsewhere asking for sub 1000 reviewed Steam games that
>> are unique. I had quite a few, so I thought I'd share. I know I've
>> posted about all these before, but we have new people since most of
>> those, so here you go:
>>

>> Cosmochoria - The Little Prince (small worlds) sci-fi 2d side roguelite,
>> this one is the most under-reviewed for how good it is, best on my list,
>> and top 3 roguelites I've played. Someone labeled it the real No-Man's
>> Sky. It's got some issues, but you can play until the end just fine.
>

> My god, it is the Little Prince. I mean, no, not really, but probably
> as close as we'd ever get nowadays.
>
> (I never really liked Saint-Exupéry's book. It seemed such a pointless
> tale. But it had a unique and memorable style and the game seems to
> capture some of that. Not much... but some ;-)

It was one of my favorites as a kid. Probably more to do with the idea
of being on a tiny planet in space and cool pictures. I'd agree the
story wasn't anything special.

>> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?
>
> I wouldn't even know where to look to see how many reviews any of the
> game I play actually have. ;-)

I went to my Steam Library, looked for things I would rate highly that
were Indy and I'd expect to have low #'s of reviews. I generally keep
ones I liked in certain folders so I can find them if I want to play
them again, vs. the ones I really didn't that end up in a folder named
'garbage.' and click on the 'store page' button.

I also checked GOG for the games I rated highly, then verified in Steam
if they were low.

It did take about an hour to do that. I could see it would be a
herculean task for you with you extensive collection. :D

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<me622jde1qbmltcqvb9prnkm0e0u24g6mk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418560&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418560

From: Mike_S@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:10:46 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:10 UTC

wrote:

>What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?

I haven't played it yet, but the lowest reviewed game I purchased on
Steam I think is an RPG called Legends of Amberland. It currently sits
at just 209 reviews. The reviews are very positive however and I am
sure I will like it. It is a Might & Magic 3 clone which is one my
favorite RPGs ever. Legends of Amberland has a sequel now so I guess I
better play it soon.

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvrbc2$2a98n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418563&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418563

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 14:40:02 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 14:40 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 16:15 this Wednesday (GMT):
> Someone posted elsewhere asking for sub 1000 reviewed Steam games that
> are unique. I had quite a few, so I thought I'd share. I know I've
> posted about all these before, but we have new people since most of
> those, so here you go:
>

> Cosmochoria - The Little Prince (small worlds) sci-fi 2d side roguelite,
> this one is the most under-reviewed for how good it is, best on my list,
> and top 3 roguelites I've played. Someone labeled it the real No-Man's
> Sky. It's got some issues, but you can play until the end just fine.
>
> Death Skid Marks - Roguelite meets Spy Hunter with a BAAAD attitude
> (lots of swearing.)
>
> 3030 Deathwar - Reminds me of a bit grittier Star Control II, has a bit
> more story and interaction.
>
> 88 heroes - silly superheroes try to get to top of tower before all 88
> of them have died. Platformer.
>
> Deadly tower of monsters - 50's sci-fi.
>
> Freedom Force - criminally under-revewed old supers game.
>
> Void Scrappers - Simpler/shorter Vampire Survivors for asteroids type game.
>
> Zorbus - Very accessible rogue-like (not lite.) You get to fight gods
> for their position at the end. My favorite of this genre I've found so far.
>
> Super Hero League of Hoboken - Very old 'supers' turn based rpg. Very
> silly, and really it's more like Gamma World as the supers are in a post
> apoc world and are mutants. I remember one of them has something like
> the ability to see what's in a closed pizza box or something like that.
>
> Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages - Star Control II type game, only has a
> lot more going on, including multiplayer, and an insanely weird story
> mode, and the ships/weapons get pretty complicated and overpowered. $5
> I'd easily pay $25.
>
> Invincible Presents: Atom Eve - I normally hate Telltale type games, but
> it has a better mix of JRPG type combat and roleplaying. I also love
> Invincible. Well worth the $4.
>

> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?

Well, the lowest-reviewed game on my library is "Cheese Quest"
at 23 reviews. It's definitely a strange and short game, but it's a fun
little time. Also, its 3$ and says it's inspired by Inscryption which I
loved soo

Another low reviewed (749) game I remember liking was Stone Story RPG.
It's.. anoter strange one but it's fun to boot up occasionally. I really
like the ASCII art for it.
(also I got it while it was in early release ;D)

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvrd4b$2am8i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418564&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418564

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:10:03 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:10 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 02:46 this Thursday (GMT):
> On 4/17/2024 4:44 PM, rms wrote:
>>> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?
>>   Well this one has 1300 reviews, so close.  But I liked my review of
>> it :) so I'll repost it here:
>
> 1000 is probably a bit on the extra low side, maybe 3000, or 5000? I'm
> not really sure where the cutoff is. If it's good and got little
> exposure, that's good enough.

Oh, 3000 counts as low? I'd like to add DLCquest then.

>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/960980/Apsulov_End_of_Gods/
>
> That sure looks cool, added to my wishlist!
>
> I should really play Hellblade at some point too.

Looks pretty cool.

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<ceg22jlf99fd0edheoja70qebo8ckpdger@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418568&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418568

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:16:18 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:16 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:55:24 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 4/17/2024 3:19 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:15:06 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Someone posted elsewhere asking for sub 1000 reviewed Steam games that
>>> are unique. I had quite a few, so I thought I'd share. I know I've
>>> posted about all these before, but we have new people since most of
>>> those, so here you go:
>>>

>>> Cosmochoria - The Little Prince (small worlds) sci-fi 2d side roguelite,
>>> this one is the most under-reviewed for how good it is, best on my list,
>>> and top 3 roguelites I've played. Someone labeled it the real No-Man's
>>> Sky. It's got some issues, but you can play until the end just fine.
>>

>> My god, it is the Little Prince. I mean, no, not really, but probably
>> as close as we'd ever get nowadays.
>>
>> (I never really liked Saint-Exupéry's book. It seemed such a pointless
>> tale. But it had a unique and memorable style and the game seems to
>> capture some of that. Not much... but some ;-)
>
>It was one of my favorites as a kid. Probably more to do with the idea
>of being on a tiny planet in space and cool pictures. I'd agree the
>story wasn't anything special.

I think some of my dislike is that it was pushed on me because, 'you
like science fiction, don't you? Then you really need to read this
one!', which sets completely unjustified expectations for the book.

That said, I've maintained a healthy distrust of Baobab trees my
entire life, thanks to that book. ;-)

>It did take about an hour to do that. I could see it would be a
>herculean task for you with you extensive collection. :D

Heh.

Also, given the vast number of older games, the 'review' count
wouldn't be a particularly accurate account of popularity, notability
or quality. (see the aforementioned "Super Hero League of Hoboken)

And outside of the oldies? Well, quite honestly, I'm not really a fan
of most Indie games. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely admire the
developers and recognize their importance to the industry. They're
really the only reason we're seeing any new ideas in gaming anymore.
But I usually don't enjoy PLAYING the games, as much as I appreciate
the inventiveness and novelty of them. They usually have aesthetics
that dont' appeal to me, are too focused on the new gimmick they are
exploring, and almost always lack that level of polish I prefer. The
games are designed to appeal to a small niche (usually the ones that
adore the 'gimmick' central to the game) and make little effort to
cater to less fantatical gamers. So you end up with stuff like "Super
Meat Boy", which is undeniably an excellent game, but if you don't
adore super-tight ultra-difficult movement-focused platformers, you'll
probably not have a good time.

I'm much more a fan of the mid-tier games - the titles produced by
studios that are situated somewhere between the "garage" Indies and
the triple-A behemoths, and borrow a bit from both sides. But those
games usually have thousands of reviews and are so well known that
they'd hardly need introduction from the likes of me.

(That said, have you ever heard of these "Truck Simulator" games from
SCS Studios? I hear they're the bomb. Is that something kids still
say, 'the bomb'? I want to sound cool and with it ;-)

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<brh22j5qtll9h4s2saii40ht054is7nnk4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418569&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418569

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:19:57 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:19 UTC

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:10:03 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07
<candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote:

>Oh, 3000 counts as low? I'd like to add DLCquest then.

I played that one. It had its moments, but the joke became tired
pretty quickly. It didn't really have the gameplay to justify its
price. It felt like one of those Flash games that used to infest the
net, like the fake "WinBlowz 95" game that was briefly popular. You'd
load it up, play around with it for 10 or 15 minutes, chortle at the
joke, then put it away forever. But at least those were free...

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvrid7$2bqf7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418570&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418570

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:40:07 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 16:40 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 16:19 this Thursday (GMT):
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:10:03 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07
><candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote:

>>Oh, 3000 counts as low? I'd like to add DLCquest then.
>>

> I played that one. It had its moments, but the joke became tired
> pretty quickly. It didn't really have the gameplay to justify its
> price. It felt like one of those Flash games that used to infest the
> net, like the fake "WinBlowz 95" game that was briefly popular. You'd
> load it up, play around with it for 10 or 15 minutes, chortle at the
> joke, then put it away forever. But at least those were free...

I think it was pretty funny. Then again, I also bought it for a
multi-game randomizer before realizing the linux version specifically
wasn't compatible and didn't bother to refund it.

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvrpnk$2ddmb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418571&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418571

From: rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 18:45:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ross Ridge - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 18:45 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Someone posted elsewhere asking for sub 1000 reviewed Steam games that
>are unique. I had quite a few, so I thought I'd share. I know I've
>posted about all these before, but we have new people since most of
>those, so here you go:

The only game in my Steam library I could find with under 1000 reviews
that I would recommend was Kohan: Arhiman's Gift. I've spent more time
playing the Kohan series of RTS games than any other RTS series. This is
the second Kohan game, and only has 123 reviews on Steam. The low number
of reviews is due in large part to the fact it was originally released
before Steam even existed.

All of the other "hidden gems" I could think of are in the 1000 to 3000
reviews range.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvs60k$2gaam$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418577&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418577

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:14:43 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 22:14 UTC

On 4/18/2024 8:10 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 02:46 this Thursday (GMT):
>>>   Well this one has 1300 reviews, so close.  But I liked my review of
>>> it :) so I'll repost it here:
>>
>> 1000 is probably a bit on the extra low side, maybe 3000, or 5000? I'm
>> not really sure where the cutoff is. If it's good and got little
>> exposure, that's good enough.
>
> Oh, 3000 counts as low? I'd like to add DLCquest then.

I actually watched a video on that one, maybe someone posted a link here?

It didn't look good to actually play, but was more just making fun of
DLC happy companies. Unless there was another game that's similar but
different.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvs7oc$2gofr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418578&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418578

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:44:25 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 22:44 UTC

On 4/18/2024 7:40 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 16:15 this Wednesday (GMT):

>> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?
>

> Well, the lowest-reviewed game on my library is "Cheese Quest"
> at 23 reviews. It's definitely a strange and short game, but it's a fun
> little time. Also, its 3$ and says it's inspired by Inscryption which I
> loved soo

Hmm. Card Battler, I've not had any luck with those. Looks interesting
otherwise

> Another low reviewed (749) game I remember liking was Stone Story RPG.
> It's.. anoter strange one but it's fun to boot up occasionally. I really
> like the ASCII art for it.
> (also I got it while it was in early release ;D)

Apparently on mobile cheaper/free. It sure looks unusual. I might give
it a try.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvsp2i$2nj45$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418579&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418579

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 03:40:02 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 03:40 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 22:14 this Thursday (GMT):
> On 4/18/2024 8:10 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 02:46 this Thursday (GMT):
>>>
>>> 1000 is probably a bit on the extra low side, maybe 3000, or 5000? I'm
>>> not really sure where the cutoff is. If it's good and got little
>>> exposure, that's good enough.
>>
>> Oh, 3000 counts as low? I'd like to add DLCquest then.
>
> I actually watched a video on that one, maybe someone posted a link here?
>
> It didn't look good to actually play, but was more just making fun of
> DLC happy companies. Unless there was another game that's similar but
> different.

No yea that's probably it. It was basiically a walking sim.

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvsp2j$2nj45$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418580&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418580

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 03:40:03 -0000 (UTC)

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 22:44 this Thursday (GMT):
> On 4/18/2024 7:40 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 16:15 this Wednesday (GMT):
>

>>> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?
>>

>> Well, the lowest-reviewed game on my library is "Cheese Quest"
>> at 23 reviews. It's definitely a strange and short game, but it's a fun
>> little time. Also, its 3$ and says it's inspired by Inscryption which I
>> loved soo
>
> Hmm. Card Battler, I've not had any luck with those. Looks interesting
> otherwise

I suck at most but I keep going for rougelike card games. The most
recent is Balatro (which I've won 4 times at :D)

>> Another low reviewed (749) game I remember liking was Stone Story RPG.
>> It's.. anoter strange one but it's fun to boot up occasionally. I really
>> like the ASCII art for it.
>> (also I got it while it was in early release ;D)
>
> Apparently on mobile cheaper/free. It sure looks unusual. I might give
> it a try.

It certainly is unusual. I got frustrated and quit tho bc it does feel a
bit grind heavy.

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvsp2j$2nj45$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418581&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418581

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 03:40:03 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 03:40 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 16:15 this Wednesday (GMT):
> Someone posted elsewhere asking for sub 1000 reviewed Steam games that
> are unique. I had quite a few, so I thought I'd share. I know I've
> posted about all these before, but we have new people since most of
> those, so here you go:
>

> Cosmochoria - The Little Prince (small worlds) sci-fi 2d side roguelite,
> this one is the most under-reviewed for how good it is, best on my list,
> and top 3 roguelites I've played. Someone labeled it the real No-Man's
> Sky. It's got some issues, but you can play until the end just fine.
>
> Death Skid Marks - Roguelite meets Spy Hunter with a BAAAD attitude
> (lots of swearing.)
>
> 3030 Deathwar - Reminds me of a bit grittier Star Control II, has a bit
> more story and interaction.
>
> 88 heroes - silly superheroes try to get to top of tower before all 88
> of them have died. Platformer.
>
> Deadly tower of monsters - 50's sci-fi.
>
> Freedom Force - criminally under-revewed old supers game.
>
> Void Scrappers - Simpler/shorter Vampire Survivors for asteroids type game.
>
> Zorbus - Very accessible rogue-like (not lite.) You get to fight gods
> for their position at the end. My favorite of this genre I've found so far.
>
> Super Hero League of Hoboken - Very old 'supers' turn based rpg. Very
> silly, and really it's more like Gamma World as the supers are in a post
> apoc world and are mutants. I remember one of them has something like
> the ability to see what's in a closed pizza box or something like that.
>
> Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages - Star Control II type game, only has a
> lot more going on, including multiplayer, and an insanely weird story
> mode, and the ships/weapons get pretty complicated and overpowered. $5
> I'd easily pay $25.
>
> Invincible Presents: Atom Eve - I normally hate Telltale type games, but
> it has a better mix of JRPG type combat and roleplaying. I also love
> Invincible. Well worth the $4.
>

> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?

I completely forgot, there is this one demo-only unreleased card game
that seems interesting, called Dungeons and Degenerate Gamblers.
Technically, it has 0 reviews since you can't
review a not released game, but there's 100~ submissions in the
discussion page. It's another card rougelike, but Blackjack themed
instead of poker. Also, it's free so you can't really go wrong.

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvu0kj$324hh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418590&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418590

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 07:55:15 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:55 UTC

On 4/18/2024 8:40 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 16:15 this Wednesday (GMT):

>> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?
>

> I completely forgot, there is this one demo-only unreleased card game
> that seems interesting, called Dungeons and Degenerate Gamblers.
> Technically, it has 0 reviews since you can't
> review a not released game, but there's 100~ submissions in the
> discussion page. It's another card rougelike, but Blackjack themed
> instead of poker. Also, it's free so you can't really go wrong.

Looks like some weird thing I'd come up with for card games. I'll give
it a try.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<uvu38p$32qqd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418596&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418596

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:40:09 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:40 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 14:55 this Friday (GMT):
> On 4/18/2024 8:40 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 16:15 this Wednesday (GMT):
>
>>> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?
>>

>> I completely forgot, there is this one demo-only unreleased card game
>> that seems interesting, called Dungeons and Degenerate Gamblers.
>> Technically, it has 0 reviews since you can't
>> review a not released game, but there's 100~ submissions in the
>> discussion page. It's another card rougelike, but Blackjack themed
>> instead of poker. Also, it's free so you can't really go wrong.
>
> Looks like some weird thing I'd come up with for card games. I'll give
> it a try.

Yeah, it's a fun little game.

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<v03ka2$e4nl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418630&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418630

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:01:37 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:01 UTC

On 4/19/2024 8:40 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 14:55 this Friday (GMT):

>>> I completely forgot, there is this one demo-only unreleased card game
>>> that seems interesting, called Dungeons and Degenerate Gamblers.
>>> Technically, it has 0 reviews since you can't
>>> review a not released game, but there's 100~ submissions in the
>>> discussion page. It's another card rougelike, but Blackjack themed
>>> instead of poker. Also, it's free so you can't really go wrong.
>>
>> Looks like some weird thing I'd come up with for card games. I'll give
>> it a try.
>

> Yeah, it's a fun little game.

I played a couple runs so far. I got killed once by some guy who had
tons of low cards. The second run I finished the demo. Love it! Can't
wait for the full thing. Thanks for this one!

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<v03q2i$fe61$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418634&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418634

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 19:40:02 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 19:40 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 18:01 this Sunday (GMT):
> On 4/19/2024 8:40 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 14:55 this Friday (GMT):

>>> Looks like some weird thing I'd come up with for card games. I'll give
>>> it a try.
>>

>> Yeah, it's a fun little game.
>
> I played a couple runs so far. I got killed once by some guy who had
> tons of low cards. The second run I finished the demo. Love it! Can't
> wait for the full thing. Thanks for this one!

You're welcome :D

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<v046v1$i30o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418640&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418640

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 23:20:01 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 23:20 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 16:15 this Wednesday (GMT):
> Someone posted elsewhere asking for sub 1000 reviewed Steam games that
> are unique. I had quite a few, so I thought I'd share. I know I've
> posted about all these before, but we have new people since most of
> those, so here you go:
>

> Cosmochoria - The Little Prince (small worlds) sci-fi 2d side roguelite,
> this one is the most under-reviewed for how good it is, best on my list,
> and top 3 roguelites I've played. Someone labeled it the real No-Man's
> Sky. It's got some issues, but you can play until the end just fine.
>
> Death Skid Marks - Roguelite meets Spy Hunter with a BAAAD attitude
> (lots of swearing.)
>
> 3030 Deathwar - Reminds me of a bit grittier Star Control II, has a bit
> more story and interaction.
>
> 88 heroes - silly superheroes try to get to top of tower before all 88
> of them have died. Platformer.
>
> Deadly tower of monsters - 50's sci-fi.
>
> Freedom Force - criminally under-revewed old supers game.
>
> Void Scrappers - Simpler/shorter Vampire Survivors for asteroids type game.
>
> Zorbus - Very accessible rogue-like (not lite.) You get to fight gods
> for their position at the end. My favorite of this genre I've found so far.
>
> Super Hero League of Hoboken - Very old 'supers' turn based rpg. Very
> silly, and really it's more like Gamma World as the supers are in a post
> apoc world and are mutants. I remember one of them has something like
> the ability to see what's in a closed pizza box or something like that.
>
> Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages - Star Control II type game, only has a
> lot more going on, including multiplayer, and an insanely weird story
> mode, and the ships/weapons get pretty complicated and overpowered. $5
> I'd easily pay $25.
>
> Invincible Presents: Atom Eve - I normally hate Telltale type games, but
> it has a better mix of JRPG type combat and roleplaying. I also love
> Invincible. Well worth the $4.
>

> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?

Oh, I just stumbled into another one that looks interesting called
"Overboard". (415 reviews). It's apparently a reverse murder mystery,
where you try to get away with murder.

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<v056ia$rfsb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418644&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418644

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:19:16 +0100
 by: JAB - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 08:19 UTC

On 22/04/2024 00:20, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?
>
> Oh, I just stumbled into another one that looks interesting called
> "Overboard". (415 reviews). It's apparently a reverse murder mystery,
> where you try to get away with murder.

I've got that and I can very much recommend it. Basically take a choose
your own adventure, use the capabilities a computer has to make it
better and then add in the twist that the gameplay loop is to use what
you discovered on the previous play-through to help you make better
choice this time.

Re: Low Review #s good / unusual games.

<v05klh$un05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418645&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418645

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:20:01 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:20 UTC

JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote at 08:19 this Monday (GMT):
> On 22/04/2024 00:20, candycanearter07 wrote:
>>> What are your favorite games with low numbers of reviews?
>>
>> Oh, I just stumbled into another one that looks interesting called
>> "Overboard". (415 reviews). It's apparently a reverse murder mystery,
>> where you try to get away with murder.
>
> I've got that and I can very much recommend it. Basically take a choose
> your own adventure, use the capabilities a computer has to make it
> better and then add in the twist that the gameplay loop is to use what
> you discovered on the previous play-through to help you make better
> choice this time.

Neat. I was just looking thru the steam store and thought it looked
cool.