My computer can beat up your computer. -- Karl Lehenbauer

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

SubjectAuthor
* CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?Dimensional Traveler
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?candycanearter07
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?Ant
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?Anssi Saari
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?Mike S.
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?Justisaur
+* Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?Zaghadka
|`- Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?Justisaur
+* Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?Xocyll
|`- Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?Spalls Hurgenson
`- Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?Kyonshi

1
CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<vfsn1j9e3t7uejhgq7vircn06ieol3m4ft@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418489&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418489

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 11:36:46 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:36 UTC

I know that it has barely been half a month since our last poll, but
that is only because I was so late with the previous one. Hopefully
this one will put us back on our regular schedule.

This month's Completely Random And Pointless poll is somewhat related
to our last one too, as both dealt with the audio aspect of video
games. However, this one is a bit more specific.

-----------------

More precisely, the question is: You're playing a game. Do you leave
the music on, or off?

* Do) Music on, and loud:
It's the best thing in the game!
* Re) Music on:
I want the full experience, and the soundtrack
is part of that experience
* Mi) Music on, but low:
I guess I'm glad it's there, but I don't want
it to be so much in the way
* Fa) Music on, but not in the game:
Fuck the developer's vision, I'm playing my
own tunes!
* So) Music off:
I need to hear every sound the enemy makes;
music just gets in the way!
* La) Wait, games have music?:
I never noticed!
* Ti) My computer doesn't have a soundcard/speakers
So THAT'S what that little 3.5mm jack is for!

-----------------

Generally, I fall into the second category (Re). I quite enjoy games
with a musical soundtrack. If done well, it greatly enhances the
emotional impact of the situation, and games lacking a soundtrack
often feel cheaper, more budget than those with. It's a very rare game
where I ditz around with soundtrack volumes; I want that music.

(one of those exceptions, inevitably, is my endless love-affair with
the EuroTruck Simulator games. I never listen to the in-game music,
but instead listen to a selection of MP3s streamed off my own
hard-drive. Half of my crashes in that game are because I'm singing
offkey to some song and not paying enough attention to the traffic.
;-).

Where do your listening choices fall? Are you a music lover, or hater?
And is this the most pointless of our Completely Random and Pointless
Polls yet?

Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<uvh3l0$3oal2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418492&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418492

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:26:58 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:26 UTC

On 4/14/2024 8:36 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> I know that it has barely been half a month since our last poll, but
> that is only because I was so late with the previous one. Hopefully
> this one will put us back on our regular schedule.
>
> This month's Completely Random And Pointless poll is somewhat related
> to our last one too, as both dealt with the audio aspect of video
> games. However, this one is a bit more specific.
>
> -----------------
>
> More precisely, the question is: You're playing a game. Do you leave
> the music on, or off?
>
> * Do) Music on, and loud:
> It's the best thing in the game!
> * Re) Music on:
> I want the full experience, and the soundtrack
> is part of that experience
> * Mi) Music on, but low:
> I guess I'm glad it's there, but I don't want
> it to be so much in the way
> * Fa) Music on, but not in the game:
> Fuck the developer's vision, I'm playing my
> own tunes!
> * So) Music off:
> I need to hear every sound the enemy makes;
> music just gets in the way!
> * La) Wait, games have music?:
> I never noticed!
> * Ti) My computer doesn't have a soundcard/speakers
> So THAT'S what that little 3.5mm jack is for!
>
> -----------------
>
> Generally, I fall into the second category (Re). I quite enjoy games
> with a musical soundtrack. If done well, it greatly enhances the
> emotional impact of the situation, and games lacking a soundtrack
> often feel cheaper, more budget than those with. It's a very rare game
> where I ditz around with soundtrack volumes; I want that music.
>
> (one of those exceptions, inevitably, is my endless love-affair with
> the EuroTruck Simulator games. I never listen to the in-game music,
> but instead listen to a selection of MP3s streamed off my own
> hard-drive. Half of my crashes in that game are because I'm singing
> offkey to some song and not paying enough attention to the traffic.
> ;-).
>
> Where do your listening choices fall? Are you a music lover, or hater?
> And is this the most pointless of our Completely Random and Pointless
> Polls yet?

Well, I definitely don't go the female deer route. (Yes, I see what you
did there!) I'm usually a So. The music usually gets very repetitive
and distracting plus I already have hearing issues so I turn it off or
as far down as I can so I can hear the important sounds.

dirty old man.

Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<uvhtjp$3tkue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418494&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418494

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:50:02 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:50 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 15:36 this Sunday (GMT):

> I know that it has barely been half a month since our last poll, but
> that is only because I was so late with the previous one. Hopefully
> this one will put us back on our regular schedule.
>
> This month's Completely Random And Pointless poll is somewhat related
> to our last one too, as both dealt with the audio aspect of video
> games. However, this one is a bit more specific.
>
> -----------------
>
> More precisely, the question is: You're playing a game. Do you leave
> the music on, or off?
>
> * Do) Music on, and loud:
> It's the best thing in the game!
> * Re) Music on:
> I want the full experience, and the soundtrack
> is part of that experience
> * Mi) Music on, but low:
> I guess I'm glad it's there, but I don't want
> it to be so much in the way
> * Fa) Music on, but not in the game:
> Fuck the developer's vision, I'm playing my
> own tunes!
> * So) Music off:
> I need to hear every sound the enemy makes;
> music just gets in the way!
> * La) Wait, games have music?:
> I never noticed!
> * Ti) My computer doesn't have a soundcard/speakers
> So THAT'S what that little 3.5mm jack is for!
>
> -----------------
>
> Generally, I fall into the second category (Re). I quite enjoy games
> with a musical soundtrack. If done well, it greatly enhances the
> emotional impact of the situation, and games lacking a soundtrack
> often feel cheaper, more budget than those with. It's a very rare game
> where I ditz around with soundtrack volumes; I want that music.
>
> (one of those exceptions, inevitably, is my endless love-affair with
> the EuroTruck Simulator games. I never listen to the in-game music,
> but instead listen to a selection of MP3s streamed off my own
> hard-drive. Half of my crashes in that game are because I'm singing
> offkey to some song and not paying enough attention to the traffic.
> ;-).
>
> Where do your listening choices fall? Are you a music lover, or hater?
> And is this the most pointless of our Completely Random and Pointless
> Polls yet?

Listening to a youtube video while the musics on low (or off)

Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<bpWcnRTmfPV-5IH7nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418496&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418496

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:50:43 +0000
 by: Ant - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 00:50 UTC

It depends on the games. If I need to hear sound effects like stealth,
then music is off during gameplays!

--
"We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him." --1 Thessalonians 4:14. Slammy Caturday with "winter" rain.
| |o o| |

Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<sm0y19f3vl5.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418497&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418497

From: anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:59:18 +0300
sha1:z9NCb3Gh2OJn8kGpUbjEjdNIip4=
 by: Anssi Saari - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 07:59 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> writes:

> More precisely, the question is: You're playing a game. Do you leave
> the music on, or off?

Music on at default volume so Re usually for me. In the ancient times
also Mi, I remember I had to turn music low sometimes because I couldn't
make out the dialog, the music was drowning it out. But that was
probably 20 years ago, audio design in games has improved.

Also, subtitles are now commonly available too. I think I've read gamers
really like those, although I don't remember if it was native speakers
or not.

Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<n8aq1jt4h6kuogcs7q9oo7buvvqm2gptie@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418499&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418499

From: Mike_S@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 09:19:32 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:19 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 11:36:46 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> * Do) Music on, and loud:
> It's the best thing in the game!
> * Re) Music on:
> I want the full experience, and the soundtrack
> is part of that experience
> * Mi) Music on, but low:
> I guess I'm glad it's there, but I don't want
> it to be so much in the way
> * Fa) Music on, but not in the game:
> Fuck the developer's vision, I'm playing my
> own tunes!
> * So) Music off:
> I need to hear every sound the enemy makes;
> music just gets in the way!
> * La) Wait, games have music?:
> I never noticed!
> * Ti) My computer doesn't have a soundcard/speakers
> So THAT'S what that little 3.5mm jack is for!
>
>-----------------
>
>Generally, I fall into the second category (Re). I quite enjoy games
>with a musical soundtrack. If done well, it greatly enhances the
>emotional impact of the situation, and games lacking a soundtrack
>often feel cheaper, more budget than those with. It's a very rare game
>where I ditz around with soundtrack volumes; I want that music.

Re or Mi for me depending on the game. Music is very important to me
as is sound in general. I want the full audio experience.

Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<uvjdsu$b2pm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418502&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418502

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 07:34:03 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:34 UTC

On 4/14/2024 8:36 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> I know that it has barely been half a month since our last poll, but
> that is only because I was so late with the previous one. Hopefully
> this one will put us back on our regular schedule.
>
> This month's Completely Random And Pointless poll is somewhat related
> to our last one too, as both dealt with the audio aspect of video
> games. However, this one is a bit more specific.
>
> -----------------
>
> More precisely, the question is: You're playing a game. Do you leave
> the music on, or off?
>
> * Do) Music on, and loud:
> It's the best thing in the game!

Rarely, sometimes when I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077 and one of the songs I
like comes on the radio I'll turn it up. but...

> * Re) Music on:
> I want the full experience, and the soundtrack
> is part of that experience

I default to this, but it doesn't last in a lot of games.

> * Mi) Music on, but low:
> I guess I'm glad it's there, but I don't want > it to be so much in the way

Can't hear dialog or audio cues in some games, so this ends up being
what I do most of the time.

> * Fa) Music on, but not in the game:
> Fuck the developer's vision, I'm playing my
> own tunes!

I used to do this a lot. Music is generally better than in the days I
did this, but sometimes the music isn't very good, or again with C2077,
I'll hear a song on the radio, and then after it's over I want to listen
to more of the songs I like instead of whatever's on, so I turn off the
music/radio and listen to my own playlist of cyberpunk/electronic music.

I sometimes get to this point with repetitive music as well.

> * So) Music off:
> I need to hear every sound the enemy makes;
> music just gets in the way!

Rarely, but it happens. I generally like the music in the souls game,
but I've seen some posts of people saying certain bosses are much easier
if you do this. If I ever go back to fight the ancient dragon Darkeater
Midir I'm trying this.

This also happens playing mobile games as I don't want to disturb anyone
else where I am.

I used to play EQ many decades ago like this and have the TV going so I
could watch something during the boring bits. And my goodness there was
a lot of boring bits.

> * La) Wait, games have music?:
> I never noticed!

If a game has no music perhaps. I've spent many an hour of Dungeon
Robber with no music on, or back when the kids were smaller so I could
keep an ear out for them easier.

> * Ti) My computer doesn't have a soundcard/speakers
> So THAT'S what that little 3.5mm jack is for!

No not that, not since... not since motherboards had one built in.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<fttq1j5a4bt85v21imdqs0n7tjk1oh9734@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418511&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418511

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:54:25 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:54 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 11:36:46 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>Where do your listening choices fall? Are you a music lover, or hater?
>And is this the most pointless of our Completely Random and Pointless
>Polls yet?

Do do do de do. When I was playing the original Descent, the neighbors
downstairs would pound on their ceiling the MIDI techno was raging so
loudly.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<uvk1tj$fhla$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418513&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418513

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:15:46 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 20:15 UTC

On 4/15/2024 11:54 AM, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 11:36:46 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>> Where do your listening choices fall? Are you a music lover, or hater?
>> And is this the most pointless of our Completely Random and Pointless
>> Polls yet?
>>
> Do do do de do. When I was playing the original Descent, the neighbors
> downstairs would pound on their ceiling the MIDI techno was raging so
> loudly.

I used to scare kids playing (or demo mode) original Doom on full blast
on Halloween.

In the one apartment I lived in with my grandpa when I was 16-20 it was
me banging on the ceiling at 2am when the upstairs neighbors blasted
country music at 2am after they got back from the bar when I had to go
to work the next morning. I punched a hole in the wall one of those times.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<fe6s1j128clt5p7hqbjkj4049l9d5nct7m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418518&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418518

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 02:31:47 -0400
 by: Xocyll - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 06:31 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>I know that it has barely been half a month since our last poll, but
>that is only because I was so late with the previous one. Hopefully
>this one will put us back on our regular schedule.
>
>This month's Completely Random And Pointless poll is somewhat related
>to our last one too, as both dealt with the audio aspect of video
>games. However, this one is a bit more specific.
>
>-----------------
>
>More precisely, the question is: You're playing a game. Do you leave
>the music on, or off?
>
> * Do) Music on, and loud:
> It's the best thing in the game!
> * Re) Music on:
> I want the full experience, and the soundtrack
> is part of that experience
> * Mi) Music on, but low:
> I guess I'm glad it's there, but I don't want
> it to be so much in the way
> * Fa) Music on, but not in the game:
> Fuck the developer's vision, I'm playing my
> own tunes!
> * So) Music off:
> I need to hear every sound the enemy makes;
> music just gets in the way!
> * La) Wait, games have music?:
> I never noticed!
> * Ti) My computer doesn't have a soundcard/speakers
> So THAT'S what that little 3.5mm jack is for!
>
>-----------------
<snip>

Generally #4, I like what I like, and I'm usually tired of what the
developers like before I've even made a character. Why do they insist
in playing loud shitty music in the menus?

Been doing the no music and my own tunes since Diablo on win95B, even
had 2 sound cards in the machine to make it possible; A SB clone from
Zoltrix and an actually SB AWE 32, since win95 did co-operative
multitasking and only allowed one sound source - whoever got there first
kept it forever. 2 sounds cards = 2 sources can play and I listened to
a variety of .mp3s a friend had given me.

These days the old machine is basically nothing more than a display
machine (game info, recipes and such,) and music machine - old radio
which lost an output channel has it's headphone output routed through
the computer and of course it plays mp3s.

I'll sometimes let game music play for a bit, but I always end up
shutting it off after a bit.

Xocyll

Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<uvl9ce$qul5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418519&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418519

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 09:16:48 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 07:16 UTC

On 4/14/2024 5:36 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> I know that it has barely been half a month since our last poll, but
> that is only because I was so late with the previous one. Hopefully
> this one will put us back on our regular schedule.
>
> This month's Completely Random And Pointless poll is somewhat related
> to our last one too, as both dealt with the audio aspect of video
> games. However, this one is a bit more specific.
>
> -----------------
>
> More precisely, the question is: You're playing a game. Do you leave
> the music on, or off?
>
> * Do) Music on, and loud:
> It's the best thing in the game!
> * Re) Music on:
> I want the full experience, and the soundtrack
> is part of that experience
> * Mi) Music on, but low:
> I guess I'm glad it's there, but I don't want
> it to be so much in the way
> * Fa) Music on, but not in the game:
> Fuck the developer's vision, I'm playing my
> own tunes!
> * So) Music off:
> I need to hear every sound the enemy makes;
> music just gets in the way!
> * La) Wait, games have music?:
> I never noticed!
> * Ti) My computer doesn't have a soundcard/speakers
> So THAT'S what that little 3.5mm jack is for!
>
> -----------------
>
> Generally, I fall into the second category (Re). I quite enjoy games
> with a musical soundtrack. If done well, it greatly enhances the
> emotional impact of the situation, and games lacking a soundtrack
> often feel cheaper, more budget than those with. It's a very rare game
> where I ditz around with soundtrack volumes; I want that music.
>
> (one of those exceptions, inevitably, is my endless love-affair with
> the EuroTruck Simulator games. I never listen to the in-game music,
> but instead listen to a selection of MP3s streamed off my own
> hard-drive. Half of my crashes in that game are because I'm singing
> offkey to some song and not paying enough attention to the traffic.
> ;-).
>
> Where do your listening choices fall? Are you a music lover, or hater?
> And is this the most pointless of our Completely Random and Pointless
> Polls yet?

Re) for me, unless the music is really annoying, which happens
occasionally. But then in general the game isn't either that great to
begin with, or something I have been playing so long I could play it
blindfolded.

Re: CRAP Poll: Rock On... or Off?

<6fbt1jh2lo4d7f6fiqgvs2fgt17elpj3vj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418530&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418530

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:00:54 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:00 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 02:31:47 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:

>Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:

>> * Fa) Music on, but not in the game:
>> Fuck the developer's vision, I'm playing my
>> own tunes!
>
>Generally #4, I like what I like, and I'm usually tired of what the
>developers like before I've even made a character. Why do they insist
>in playing loud shitty music in the menus?
>
>Been doing the no music and my own tunes since Diablo on win95B, even
>had 2 sound cards in the machine to make it possible; A SB clone from
>Zoltrix and an actually SB AWE 32, since win95 did co-operative
>multitasking and only allowed one sound source - whoever got there first
>kept it forever. 2 sounds cards = 2 sources can play and I listened to
>a variety of .mp3s a friend had given me.

Back in the mid 90s, this ability was something developers boasted
about. Being able to take out the game's CD-ROM and pop-in a CD-Audio
disc of your own was seen as amazingly advanced technology.

Oddly, I most often used that feature to listen to the music from
OTHER video games. "Mechwarrior 2" and "Interstate 76" were the go-to
soundtracks for /so/ many other games I played during that era. ;-)

(They still are... although these days I use MP3 rips instead of
shuffling around the optical discs).