It's hard to think of you as the end result of millions of years of evolution.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)

SubjectAuthor
* FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)Zaghadka
+* Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)Justisaur
|+* Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)Spalls Hurgenson
||+- Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)candycanearter07
||+- Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)Zaghadka
||+- Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)Justisaur
||`- Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)JAB
|`- Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)Justisaur
`- Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)Mike S.

1
FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)

<2nlovithnfng47gbn1vesrp6c3ecumg8je@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418017&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418017

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:51:05 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 15:51 UTC

Hello again! I won't bore you with an overlong introduction; it's
Thursday and we all know what this post is about. Today we get two
free games. You know what to do.

* Call of the Wild: The Angler
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/call-of-the-wild-the-angler
"Call of the Wild: The Hunter" is an open-world hunting
game that presented huge, gorgeous maps and a reasonable
hunting simulation. "The Angler", made by the same
developers, essentially uses the same tech as a basis
for a fishing game, but I found it a lot less convincing.
In part, because the graphics that wowed us in 2017 are
looking a lot less impressive in 2024 (especially with
regards to the water), and also because the base game is
just a lot less interesting and complete. This is a game
that demands you buy its expansions if you want to have
any fun with it. And the core gameplay - the fishing -
isn't even much fun; it poorly simulates the real-life
hobby and is extremely grindy. Being able to wander the
wilds to find the perfect fishing spot, and then wade
into deep water to cast your line sounds like it could
be a lot of fun, but the game fails to capture that
experience. I'd love to be able to recommend this game,
if only because modern computer fishing games are such
a rare breed. But even if you love the genre, this
game is probably not worth your time.

Note: There are several free DLC packs (two winter cosmetics, and a
tackle pack) so if you do grab the game don't forget to claim the DLC
too,

* Invincible Presents: Atom Eve
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/atom-eve-ff090d
Essentially, a Telltale Games-style adventure where you
take on the role of a super-hero. But it's more visual
novel than adventure. Apparently its based on some comic
book. There's a mix of combat and relationship
management, and the whole thing has a very comic-book
aesthetic. A must-get for fans of the Invincible comic,
or even if you just enjoy visual-novel style games.
Otherwise? You can probably pass. It's not a bad game
at all, but it is targeted at a very narrow niche.

BONUS:
* The Sims 4: Backyard Stuff
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-sims-4--backyard-stuff
An expansion/DLC pack for "The Sims 4" (which is also
free on Epic, and has been for over a year). As the
title suggests, it adds a number of backyard
garden objects and activities. If you like and play
"The Sims 4", this is a no-brainer, but if the base game
isn't of interest to you, this expansion isn't going
to change your mind about it.

Seven days to claim, as usual (well, except for "The Sims 4"
expansion, which has no time limit). Grab the games or not; your
choice.

Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)

<pdnovi5f1nbddnp0fkbnuig5ogb8aimu8u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418020&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418020

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:18:48 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:18 UTC

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:51:05 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>Seven days to claim, as usual (well, except for "The Sims 4"
>expansion, which has no time limit). Grab the games or not; your
>choice.

There is no "Choice." There is only The Number.

I'm an apostate, apparently. I didn't bite on the fishing game.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)

<uthpil$2anm9$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418027&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418027

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a
bonus)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:08:37 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:08 UTC

On 3/21/2024 8:51 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Hello again! I won't bore you with an overlong introduction; it's
> Thursday and we all know what this post is about. Today we get two
> free games. You know what to do.
>
> * Call of the Wild: The Angler
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/call-of-the-wild-the-angler
> "Call of the Wild: The Hunter" is an open-world hunting
> game that presented huge, gorgeous maps and a reasonable
> hunting simulation. "The Angler", made by the same
> developers, essentially uses the same tech as a basis
> for a fishing game, but I found it a lot less convincing.
> In part, because the graphics that wowed us in 2017 are
> looking a lot less impressive in 2024 (especially with
> regards to the water), and also because the base game is
> just a lot less interesting and complete. This is a game
> that demands you buy its expansions if you want to have
> any fun with it. And the core gameplay - the fishing -
> isn't even much fun; it poorly simulates the real-life
> hobby and is extremely grindy. Being able to wander the
> wilds to find the perfect fishing spot, and then wade
> into deep water to cast your line sounds like it could
> be a lot of fun, but the game fails to capture that
> experience. I'd love to be able to recommend this game,
> if only because modern computer fishing games are such
> a rare breed. But even if you love the genre, this
> game is probably not worth your time.
>
> Note: There are several free DLC packs (two winter cosmetics, and a
> tackle pack) so if you do grab the game don't forget to claim the DLC
> too,

Blech, grindy and Epic, pass.

> * Invincible Presents: Atom Eve
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/atom-eve-ff090d
> Essentially, a Telltale Games-style adventure where you
> take on the role of a super-hero. But it's more visual
> novel than adventure. Apparently its based on some comic
> book. There's a mix of combat and relationship
> management, and the whole thing has a very comic-book
> aesthetic. A must-get for fans of the Invincible comic,
> or even if you just enjoy visual-novel style games.
> Otherwise? You can probably pass. It's not a bad game
> at all, but it is targeted at a very narrow niche.

Weird, this also showed up on Amazon Prime Games just after you posted
last week. I only tried one Telltale game (a batman game) and didn't
care for it, so probably won't like it, but I really enjoy the
Invincible cartoon on Amazon Prime. I'm not bothering getting it on
Epic as I already have it on Prime and Epic is a hassle.

> BONUS:
> * The Sims 4: Backyard Stuff
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-sims-4--backyard-stuff
> An expansion/DLC pack for "The Sims 4" (which is also
> free on Epic, and has been for over a year). As the
> title suggests, it adds a number of backyard
> garden objects and activities. If you like and play
> "The Sims 4", this is a no-brainer, but if the base game
> isn't of interest to you, this expansion isn't going
> to change your mind about it.
>

> Seven days to claim, as usual (well, except for "The Sims 4"
> expansion, which has no time limit). Grab the games or not; your
> choice.

I should probably pick it up just in case my daughter every wants to try
Sims, but being Epic I can't be bothered.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)

<iqsovi5l8rbr6sir3u56st8goan3ckjuon@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418031&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418031

From: Mike_S@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 13:53:26 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:53 UTC

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:51:05 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>BONUS:
>* The Sims 4: Backyard Stuff
>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-sims-4--backyard-stuff
> An expansion/DLC pack for "The Sims 4" (which is also
> free on Epic, and has been for over a year). As the
> title suggests, it adds a number of backyard
> garden objects and activities. If you like and play
> "The Sims 4", this is a no-brainer, but if the base game
> isn't of interest to you, this expansion isn't going
> to change your mind about it.

I had no idea I owned any Sims game but apparently I do.

Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)

<dd5rvi9n1mloul1pm7s7h2ri9r2po9f9kn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418038&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418038

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 10:37:03 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:37 UTC

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:08:37 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 3/21/2024 8:51 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>I only tried one Telltale game (a batman game) and didn't
>care for it, so probably won't like it, but I really enjoy the
>Invincible cartoon on Amazon Prime. I'm not bothering getting it on
>Epic as I already have it on Prime and Epic is a hassle.

Telltale games aren't bad, but a) they are far much more limited in
scope and mechanics than other adventure games, and b) following the
success of the formula with their "Walking Dead" series, the
developers overused the mechanic in all their other games.

The titles walk a narrow line between 'game' and 'walking simulator',
with only limited difficulty, but - at release - this was a novel
change from the usual. Now, not so much. Similarly, it's reactive,
(supposedly) branching storyline that would react to actions in
previous acts (or even episodes!) was a unique gimmick. It even became
a meme - "<character> will remember that!".

But overuse, simplicity and familiarity robbed these games of a lot of
their charm. It's hard to recommend them - or their clones - in 2024.

Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)

<utk8or$30ia9$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418046&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418046

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
bonus)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:40:11 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:40 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 14:37 this Friday (GMT):
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:08:37 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On 3/21/2024 8:51 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>I only tried one Telltale game (a batman game) and didn't
>>care for it, so probably won't like it, but I really enjoy the
>>Invincible cartoon on Amazon Prime. I'm not bothering getting it on
>>Epic as I already have it on Prime and Epic is a hassle.
>
> Telltale games aren't bad, but a) they are far much more limited in
> scope and mechanics than other adventure games, and b) following the
> success of the formula with their "Walking Dead" series, the
> developers overused the mechanic in all their other games.
>
> The titles walk a narrow line between 'game' and 'walking simulator',
> with only limited difficulty, but - at release - this was a novel
> change from the usual. Now, not so much. Similarly, it's reactive,
> (supposedly) branching storyline that would react to actions in
> previous acts (or even episodes!) was a unique gimmick. It even became
> a meme - "<character> will remember that!".
>
> But overuse, simplicity and familiarity robbed these games of a lot of
> their charm. It's hard to recommend them - or their clones - in 2024.

Yeah, but Minecraft Story Mode was funny and I enjoyed it.

Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)

<abhrvi91rror68suoj83vtdvvpelgcj6mo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418051&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418051

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:58:53 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 17:58 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 10:37:03 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:08:37 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On 3/21/2024 8:51 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>I only tried one Telltale game (a batman game) and didn't
>>care for it, so probably won't like it, but I really enjoy the
>>Invincible cartoon on Amazon Prime. I'm not bothering getting it on
>>Epic as I already have it on Prime and Epic is a hassle.
>
>Telltale games aren't bad, but a) they are far much more limited in
>scope and mechanics than other adventure games, and b) following the
>success of the formula with their "Walking Dead" series, the
>developers overused the mechanic in all their other games.

Agreed. The Walking Dead was more of a visual novel. Tales of Monkey
Island, otoh, is not.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)

<utku45$35k7h$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418056&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418056

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
bonus)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:44:37 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:44 UTC

On 3/22/2024 7:37 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:08:37 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/21/2024 8:51 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>> I only tried one Telltale game (a batman game) and didn't
>> care for it, so probably won't like it, but I really enjoy the
>> Invincible cartoon on Amazon Prime. I'm not bothering getting it on
>> Epic as I already have it on Prime and Epic is a hassle.
>
> Telltale games aren't bad, but a) they are far much more limited in
> scope and mechanics than other adventure games, and b) following the
> success of the formula with their "Walking Dead" series, the
> developers overused the mechanic in all their other games.

Oh I guess I played 2 since I tried to play the Walking Dead game, but
the puzzle to get out of the mini-mart was too annoying to bother with
going any further.

> The titles walk a narrow line between 'game' and 'walking simulator',
> with only limited difficulty, but - at release - this was a novel
> change from the usual. Now, not so much. Similarly, it's reactive,
> (supposedly) branching storyline that would react to actions in
> previous acts (or even episodes!) was a unique gimmick. It even became
> a meme - "<character> will remember that!".
>
> But overuse, simplicity and familiarity robbed these games of a lot of
> their charm. It's hard to recommend them - or their clones - in 2024.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)

<utopdo$8e3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418074&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418074

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
bonus)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 08:48:53 +0000
 by: JAB - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 08:48 UTC

On 22/03/2024 14:37, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:08:37 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/21/2024 8:51 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>> I only tried one Telltale game (a batman game) and didn't
>> care for it, so probably won't like it, but I really enjoy the
>> Invincible cartoon on Amazon Prime. I'm not bothering getting it on
>> Epic as I already have it on Prime and Epic is a hassle.
>
> Telltale games aren't bad, but a) they are far much more limited in
> scope and mechanics than other adventure games, and b) following the
> success of the formula with their "Walking Dead" series, the
> developers overused the mechanic in all their other games.
>
> The titles walk a narrow line between 'game' and 'walking simulator',
> with only limited difficulty, but - at release - this was a novel
> change from the usual. Now, not so much. Similarly, it's reactive,
> (supposedly) branching storyline that would react to actions in
> previous acts (or even episodes!) was a unique gimmick. It even became
> a meme - "<character> will remember that!".
>
> But overuse, simplicity and familiarity robbed these games of a lot of
> their charm. It's hard to recommend them - or their clones - in 2024.

I'm a bit of a fan of Telltale games but I do agree that after The
Walking Dead 1 + 2 you've kinda seen what they could offer 'gameplay'
wise so you needed something else to make up for that. To me that came
in the setting and I very much enjoyed The Wolf Among Us and Tales from
the Borderlands. The latter even manages something that I rarely see in
games. I actually found it quite humorous as normally when I see a game
described as funny my expectations really aren't very high.

I've also played a Batman game that I got from Amazon Prime. I didn't
get very far into it as it's just not a setting that I particularly
enjoy. Strangely enough I think I would have enjoyed it far more if it
was based on the original TV series.

Re: FREE GAMES: "Call of the Wild: Angler" and "Atom Eve" (and a bonus)

<uvea21$330sm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418474&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418474

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
bonus)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 08:57:50 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:57 UTC

On 3/21/2024 10:08 AM, Justisaur wrote:
> On 3/21/2024 8:51 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>
>> Hello again!  I won't bore you with an overlong introduction; it's
>> Thursday and we all know what this post is about. Today we get two
>> free games. You know what to do.
>>
>> * Call of the Wild: The Angler
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/call-of-the-wild-the-angler
>>      "Call of the Wild: The Hunter" is an open-world hunting
>>      game that presented huge, gorgeous maps and a reasonable
>>      hunting simulation. "The Angler", made by the same
>>      developers, essentially uses the same tech as a basis
>>      for a fishing game, but I found it a lot less convincing.
>>      In part, because the graphics that wowed us in 2017 are
>>      looking a lot less impressive in 2024 (especially with
>>      regards to the water), and also because the base game is
>>      just a lot less interesting and complete. This is a game
>>      that demands you buy its expansions if you want to have
>>      any fun with it. And the core gameplay - the fishing -
>>      isn't even much fun; it poorly simulates the real-life
>>      hobby and is extremely grindy. Being able to wander the
>>      wilds to find the perfect fishing spot, and then wade
>>      into deep water to cast your line sounds like it could
>>      be a lot of fun, but the game fails to capture that
>>      experience.  I'd love to be able to recommend this game,
>>      if only because modern computer fishing games are such
>>      a rare breed. But even if you love the genre, this
>>      game is probably not worth your time.
>>
>> Note: There are several free DLC packs (two winter cosmetics, and a
>> tackle pack) so if you do grab the game don't forget to claim the DLC
>> too,
>>

> Blech, grindy and Epic, pass.
>
>> * Invincible Presents: Atom Eve
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/atom-eve-ff090d
>>      Essentially, a Telltale Games-style adventure where you
>>      take on the role of a super-hero. But it's more visual
>>      novel than adventure. Apparently its based on some comic
>>      book. There's a mix of combat and relationship
>>      management, and the whole thing has a very comic-book
>>      aesthetic. A must-get for fans of the Invincible comic,
>>      or even if you just enjoy visual-novel style games.
>>      Otherwise? You can probably pass. It's not a bad game
>>      at all, but it is targeted at a very narrow niche.
>
> Weird, this also showed up on Amazon Prime Games just after you posted
> last week.  I only tried one Telltale game (a batman game) and didn't
> care for it, so probably won't like it, but I really enjoy the
> Invincible cartoon on Amazon Prime.  I'm not bothering getting it on
> Epic as I already have it on Prime and Epic is a hassle.

I guess it was free through prime, but actually on Epic.

I got around to trying it, it's fairly short, I finished it in under 8
hours. I found it much better than the Telltale games I've tried. I
had no issues getting through puzzles (I dare to perhaps say it didn't
even have any puzzles.) It had at least half JRPG style turn-based
fights Vs. the role-play sections which kept it balanced enough I didn't
get bored. The fights were with the only the one main character on your
side (mostly, there's a couple points another super throws rocks from
off screen at the enemies.) It also has a skill tree.

I found it engaging and not a slog without the large party to go through
turns for. I'm almost tempted to play it again to try different skill
trees, and RP options. I had watched and enjoyed Invincible on Prime,
so I may have enjoyed it more than those without the background. On the
other hand I tended to go for RP options that were similar to the show,
so maybe being too familiar hurts.

I know Invincible is yet another take on DC where the characters are
more gray (at best) to downright evil (what if superman were evil.)
There's getting to be too many of those. I had to look up which DC
super Atom Eve is based off of and it looks like it's Firestorm, I don't
think I've ever even heard of Firestorm.

Thoroughly enjoyed, recommend.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø