Experiments must be reproducible; they should all fail in the same way.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

SubjectAuthor
* free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!rms
+* Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!Justisaur
|`* Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!Justisaur
| `* Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!Justisaur
|  `* Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!rms
|   `* Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!Justisaur
|    `* Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!rms
|     `- Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!Justisaur
+- Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!Zaghadka
+- Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!PW
`- Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!JAB

1
free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

<uktf0m$1dtov$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416227&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416227

From: rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 14:55:31 -0700
 by: rms - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 21:55 UTC

Glad I kept holding off on this one, sounds like a genuinely good game, if
limited in scope.
https://gaming.amazon.com/deathloop-epic/dp/amzn1.pg.item.5e473650-48f7-4f95-a68f-025f5928fd73

rms

Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

<dace18d3-ece9-4386-a929-8420987432f1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416233&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416233

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 19:47:35 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!
From: justisaur@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 03:47 UTC

On Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 1:55:39 PM UTC-8, rms wrote:
> Glad I kept holding off on this one, sounds like a genuinely good game, if
> limited in scope.
> https://gaming.amazon.com/deathloop-epic/dp/amzn1.pg.item.5e473650-48f7-4f95-a68f-025f5928fd73

Ooh! Yeah it was one that interested me, but not enough to pull the trigger.
Oh godh it's on Epic through Amazon, what a pain. I still got it. I feel a
strange emotion I can only call angry-happy.

- Justisaur

Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

<rcg6nihf1e0u5mgrg6iesnqrci5o779vcg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416240&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416240

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 10:17:51 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 16:17 UTC

On Thu, 7 Dec 2023 14:55:31 -0700, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, rms
wrote:

>Glad I kept holding off on this one, sounds like a genuinely good game, if
>limited in scope.
>https://gaming.amazon.com/deathloop-epic/dp/amzn1.pg.item.5e473650-48f7-4f95-a68f-025f5928fd73

Nice. Snagged it. Too bad it's on Epic, but hey, it'll still work.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

<kat7nip43a8r12h61b03hufu7q5o86facn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416257&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416257

From: iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 22:05:58 -0700
 by: PW - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 05:05 UTC

On Thu, 7 Dec 2023 14:55:31 -0700, "rms" <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net>
wrote:

>Glad I kept holding off on this one, sounds like a genuinely good game, if
>limited in scope.
>https://gaming.amazon.com/deathloop-epic/dp/amzn1.pg.item.5e473650-48f7-4f95-a68f-025f5928fd73
>
>rms

*--

One of PC Gamers few "must play" games with a perfect score (like
Disco Elysium). I could not get into it and haven't tried again since
it frist came out.

-pw

Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

<ul1fcd$260hi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416260&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416260

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 10:26:19 +0000
 by: JAB - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 10:26 UTC

On 07/12/2023 21:55, rms wrote:
> Glad I kept holding off on this one, sounds like a genuinely good game,
> if limited in scope.
> https://gaming.amazon.com/deathloop-epic/dp/amzn1.pg.item.5e473650-48f7-4f95-a68f-025f5928fd73

That was almost good enough for me to get an account with Epic, but not
quite.

Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

<uui344$3fui4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418253&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418253

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:07:46 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 23:07 UTC

On 12/7/2023 7:47 PM, Justisaur wrote:
> On Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 1:55:39 PM UTC-8, rms wrote:
>> Glad I kept holding off on this one, sounds like a genuinely good game, if
>> limited in scope.
>> https://gaming.amazon.com/deathloop-epic/dp/amzn1.pg.item.5e473650-48f7-4f95-a68f-025f5928fd73
>
> Ooh! Yeah it was one that interested me, but not enough to pull the trigger.
> Oh godh it's on Epic through Amazon, what a pain. I still got it. I feel a
> strange emotion I can only call angry-happy.

I finally got around to starting this last night. It's got a sort of
70's future aesthetic I of like, and it's interesting so far. I'm not
too into the FPS and searching around for stuff and trying to figure out
how to open doors and codes for door and whatnot though.

I tried looking up a walkthrough after getting stuck on one of those
doors in a place I have a mission to get through, but it was more like
'just look around and enjoy' with some info on how to become powerful I
didn't understand yet.

The enemies are weird. They look kind of like living mannequins and say
things that sound like valley girls and act pretty stupid, yet they're
still dangerous in numbers.

I've died like 4 times in as many hours, however 2 of those were
scripted as far as I could tell, and the other 2 weren't restart deaths
as after you get by the scripted part you don't really die the first
couple times, you appear nearby invisible instead you effectively have
an artifact that gives you 3 lives I assume as a nod to old games where
that's what you had.

Guns are guns. They look a bit odd, sort of steampunk future or
something, but they're guns. I got a pneumatic nail gun which is for
stealth but it doesn't do enough damage to take out enemies before they
alert everyone, so I'm not sure the point, though you can get upgrades,
so maybe it'll work eventually. I feel like I'm playing a game of
keystone cops where everyone's an idiot, which is mildly amusing, but
not really my thing.

I'm not too sure about it yet, but it's supposedly around 17 hours for
the normal game, but with me putzing around I don't feel like I've made
any real progress in 4, so it'll probably be a lot longer for me if I
can figure out how to get anywhere.

Funny enough the character you play acts fairly clueless so far too, so
I guess I'm in the right spirit? I don't really like that spirit
though. /shrug/

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

<uui3kj$3fui4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418254&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418254

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:16:34 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 23:16 UTC

On 4/2/2024 4:07 PM, Justisaur wrote:
> On 12/7/2023 7:47 PM, Justisaur wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 1:55:39 PM UTC-8, rms wrote:
>>> Glad I kept holding off on this one, sounds like a genuinely good
>>> game, if
>>> limited in scope.
>>> https://gaming.amazon.com/deathloop-epic/dp/amzn1.pg.item.5e473650-48f7-4f95-a68f-025f5928fd73
>>
>> Ooh!  Yeah it was one that interested me, but not enough to pull the
>> trigger.
>> Oh godh it's on Epic through Amazon, what a pain.  I still got it.  I
>> feel a
>> strange emotion I can only call angry-happy.
>
> I finally got around to starting this last night.  It's got a sort of
> 70's future aesthetic I of like, and it's interesting so far.  I'm not
> too into the FPS and searching around for stuff and trying to figure out
> how to open doors and codes for door and whatnot though.
>
> I tried looking up a walkthrough after getting stuck on one of those
> doors in a place I have a mission to get through, but it was more like
> 'just look around and enjoy' with some info on how to become powerful I
> didn't understand yet.
>
> The enemies are weird.  They look kind of like living mannequins and say
> things that sound like valley girls and act pretty stupid, yet they're
> still dangerous in numbers.
>
> I've died like 4 times in as many hours, however 2 of those were
> scripted as far as I could tell, and the other 2 weren't restart deaths
> as after you get by the scripted part you don't really die the first
> couple times, you appear nearby invisible instead you effectively have
> an artifact that gives you 3 lives I assume as a nod to old games where
> that's what you had.
>
> Guns are guns.  They look a bit odd, sort of steampunk future or
> something, but they're guns.  I got a pneumatic nail gun which is for
> stealth but it doesn't do enough damage to take out enemies before they
> alert everyone, so I'm not sure the point, though you can get upgrades,
> so maybe it'll work eventually.  I feel like I'm playing a game of
> keystone cops where everyone's an idiot, which is mildly amusing, but
> not really my thing.
>
> I'm not too sure about it yet, but it's supposedly around 17 hours for
> the normal game, but with me putzing around I don't feel like I've made
> any real progress in 4, so it'll probably be a lot longer for me if I
> can figure out how to get anywhere.
>
> Funny enough the character you play acts fairly clueless so far too, so
> I guess I'm in the right spirit?  I don't really like that spirit
> though. /shrug/

My time with the game just came to an abrupt end. I realized I can't
play it. I left it on pause because if you quit out of the game when on
a mission all your progress is lost. You can only safely quit in between
areas. Unfortunately every time I've paused it for any length of time
it freezes and the only way to do anything is kill the process... which
also means you lose any progress.

So I lost a good hour plus of progress from this morning. I don't see
any way I can play this with the broken up times I can play games, and
pausing I do.

That's a really unfortunate feature. I guess I can try looking up
fixes, though I'm not particularly into the game yet, so I'm not feeling
like it's worth it.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

<uui6qj$3gnb7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418255&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418255

From: rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 18:10:56 -0600
 by: rms - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 00:10 UTC

>Unfortunately every time I've paused it for any length of time it freezes
>and the only way to do anything is kill the process... which also means you
>lose any progress.

Well that's a drag. I googled a bit but freezing fixes are years old. I
haven't tried the game myself as yet

rms

Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

<uuilu9$3nfrb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418258&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418258

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:28:54 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 04:28 UTC

On 4/2/2024 5:10 PM, rms wrote:
>> Unfortunately every time I've paused it for any length of time it
>> freezes and the only way to do anything is kill the process... which
>> also means you lose any progress.
>
>   Well that's a drag.  I googled a bit but freezing fixes are years
> old.  I haven't tried the game myself as yet

I managed to fix it I think, at least it hasn't happened again yet and I
paused it for a good while while walking the dog.

None of the fixes I found seemed like the right thing to try, but then I
remembered DD:DA had the same issue which was fixed by using windowed
instead of full screen mode (actually I remember issues going back at
least as far as Fallout 3, on Win 7 I think, at the time with
fullscreen) so I changed to windowed mode.

I'm starting to get into it a bit more, the fire fights seem fairly easy
for me now. I managed to clear out a whole mansion of what seemed like
50 enemies and a boss, and killed another boss. I'm not entirely sure
what I'm doing yet, but they at least give you a main mission for each
area which hasn't been hard to follow. I also managed to get to the 2nd
day without getting 'looped' (though it just loops you back anyway, but
at least I wasn't forced by 3 deaths in an area.)

Kind of irritating you can't keep any weapons or powers. I assume
you're supposed to plan around getting them. Kind of like groundhog day
you keep learning things and trying things, except the bosses seem to
remember each day as well as you.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

<uuino4$3nqkg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418259&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418259

From: rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:59:45 -0600
 by: rms - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 04:59 UTC

>Kind of irritating you can't keep any weapons or powers. I assume you're
>supposed to plan around getting them. Kind of like groundhog day you keep
>learning things and trying things

If you haven't played The Forgotten City yet, take a look at it. The
gameplay is exactly that, with each loop getting more and more streamlined.
Great game

rms

Re: free Free (sort of) Deathloop on Prime!

<uv8m51$1mk5h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418450&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418450

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 05:47:26 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 12:47 UTC

On 4/2/2024 9:59 PM, rms wrote:
>> Kind of irritating you can't keep any weapons or powers.  I assume
>> you're supposed to plan around getting them.  Kind of like groundhog
>> day you keep learning things and trying things
>
>   If you haven't played The Forgotten City yet, take a look at it.  The
> gameplay is exactly that, with each loop getting more and more
> streamlined. Great game

I finished Deathloop last night. There is a way to keep weapons and
trinkets, one could say the game is in prelog before that point. By the
end of the game I was a near invincible death machine starting the loop.

I'm sure it was way longer than 16 hours. Epic says I took 153 hours,
but I left it open a lot, way more than other games because you can't
save in the middle of an area which took about an hour at the beginning
to get through (which is still really annoying, they could've had it
just do constant overwriting saves like DS and had the same effect.)

I did quit at one point as I kept blowing one section after about 5
hours lost on that, having to start it over each time. I thought of
something that might work so I got back to the game and got through that.

The puzzles where they had pointers and hints some I still couldn't
figure out in a timely manner and I had to look up. Not a lot though.
There were a few side ones I never got, and one that was so complicated
and required numerous going back and forth between different areas that
I gave up after I looked it up.

I almost quit when I found out the antagonist's relationship to the
protagonist, it was really rough. I'll leave that out as a spoiler.

The game was thought provoking and I couldn't stop thinking about it
this morning. There's several things were I in the situation I'd want
to try to get other people to remember (which you can't do in the game
of course.) Speaking of that, I was wrong about the other bosses
remembering, they don't except for your antagonist and one other
non-boss (that we know of by the end of the game.)

I'd recommend it strongly if you can get through the flaws.

SPOILERS:
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

The antagonist Juliana is your daughter. Constantly having to kill or
be killed by your daughter about broke me. I finally got past it by
thinking it's self defense, and you wake up the next morning anyway, and
it's 'just a videogame.'

The end you can choose not to (or well in my case I thought I was in a
cut scene and missed the opportunity, not that I would've anyway,) and
continue the loop.

You 'repair' your relationship and become all chummy with her if you do
that. The protagonist is a horrible person if she's to be believed
having killed her out of the blue in a drunken stupor as the first shot
fired in their war against each other, which makes it fairly
unbelievable to repair, but perhaps after some unknown time in loop
she's either crazy or lonely enough to do so.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\