"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." -- Albert Einstein

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have

SubjectAuthor
* Begun the Anomaly Loop wars haveSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars havecandycanearter07
|`* Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars haveDimensional Traveler
| `* Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars haveLane Larson
|  `- Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars havecandycanearter07
+* Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars haveJAB
|`* Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars haveKyonshi
| `- Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars haveSpalls Hurgenson
`- Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars haveJustisaur

1
Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have

<jaj51j9sfdi2s34o03sjul483k7t47b2h4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418348&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418348

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 13:01:59 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 17:01 UTC

The other day, I praised "Exit 8", a game with a very simple premise:
you walk down a corridor, and are presented with a simple choice: if
the current stretch of corridor you are in is identical to the last
bit, keep moving forward. If there is something different - an anomaly
- then turn around. Repeat until you get to the end of the corridor.
It was a simple premise, wonderfully atmospheric, and quite fun. It
was also a game you could finish in five minutes. But given its
limited gameplay, I think that was fair: enjoyable as the concept was,
it alone couldn't carry a longer experience. While not the first to
explore the idea (arguably, Kojima's "P.T." demo was the originator)
"Exit 8" explored the idea so thoroughly that little more needed to be
done with it. "Exit 8's" biggest sin was its cost; even with today's
inflationary prices, $5 for 5 minutes of gameplay was a bit steep.
Still, it was well received by both critics and players.

So of course now we're starting to be inundated by clones of the game.

Well, perhaps 'inundated' is a bit excessive (then again, we're only a
couple of months since "Exit 8" was released). Still, already three
new games using the exact same concept have been announced: "Platform
9" (from the same developer as "Exit 8"; "Anomaly Loop", and now
"Stairway 7". None of which do anything to really expand from the
original idea.

We often praise Indie developers for helping to push new ideas,
especially in comparison to so-called 'triple-A' publishers who are
often seen as stick-in-the-mud developers who shy away from any game
that doesn't rehash tried-n-true 'safe' mechanics that will appeal to
the largest audience. Nonetheless, we should also recognize that
Indies are equally likely to fall back on 'safe' ideas too. In fact,
Indies are often even worse, doing little more than skinning over
somebody else's game and then calling it a day. It makes the worst
'Doom clones' or 'Mario clones' of yesteryear look expansive in
comparison.

Indie development is a double-edged sword, and as much as we condemn
the big-name publishers for their lack of innovation, so too should we
be wary about Indies. Good ideas can come from anywhere, and so too
bad trends like lazy copying.

It's a shame. I quite enjoyed "Exit 8", and felt that its ideas - used
in moderation in a much fuller game - could be quite effective. But I
fear that - like crafting and survival games - it's going to end up
being used everywhere, watering down its effect.

Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have

<uuv2m2$30ou0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418353&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418353

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 21:20:02 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 21:20 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 17:01 this Sunday (GMT):

> The other day, I praised "Exit 8", a game with a very simple premise:
> you walk down a corridor, and are presented with a simple choice: if
> the current stretch of corridor you are in is identical to the last
> bit, keep moving forward. If there is something different - an anomaly
> - then turn around. Repeat until you get to the end of the corridor.
> It was a simple premise, wonderfully atmospheric, and quite fun. It
> was also a game you could finish in five minutes. But given its
> limited gameplay, I think that was fair: enjoyable as the concept was,
> it alone couldn't carry a longer experience. While not the first to
> explore the idea (arguably, Kojima's "P.T." demo was the originator)
> "Exit 8" explored the idea so thoroughly that little more needed to be
> done with it. "Exit 8's" biggest sin was its cost; even with today's
> inflationary prices, $5 for 5 minutes of gameplay was a bit steep.
> Still, it was well received by both critics and players.
>
> So of course now we're starting to be inundated by clones of the game.
>
> Well, perhaps 'inundated' is a bit excessive (then again, we're only a
> couple of months since "Exit 8" was released). Still, already three
> new games using the exact same concept have been announced: "Platform
> 9" (from the same developer as "Exit 8"; "Anomaly Loop", and now
> "Stairway 7". None of which do anything to really expand from the
> original idea.
>
> We often praise Indie developers for helping to push new ideas,
> especially in comparison to so-called 'triple-A' publishers who are
> often seen as stick-in-the-mud developers who shy away from any game
> that doesn't rehash tried-n-true 'safe' mechanics that will appeal to
> the largest audience. Nonetheless, we should also recognize that
> Indies are equally likely to fall back on 'safe' ideas too. In fact,
> Indies are often even worse, doing little more than skinning over
> somebody else's game and then calling it a day. It makes the worst
> 'Doom clones' or 'Mario clones' of yesteryear look expansive in
> comparison.
>
> Indie development is a double-edged sword, and as much as we condemn
> the big-name publishers for their lack of innovation, so too should we
> be wary about Indies. Good ideas can come from anywhere, and so too
> bad trends like lazy copying.
>
> It's a shame. I quite enjoyed "Exit 8", and felt that its ideas - used
> in moderation in a much fuller game - could be quite effective. But I
> fear that - like crafting and survival games - it's going to end up
> being used everywhere, watering down its effect.

I mean, "poorly coded generic indie game ripping off stuff" is so common
someone made a parody game about it (tERRORbane)

also Exit 8 sounds vaugely familiar to the Stanley Parable.

Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have

<uuv450$313m4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418354&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418354

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 14:45:06 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 21:45 UTC

On 4/7/2024 2:20 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 17:01 this Sunday (GMT):
>>
>> The other day, I praised "Exit 8", a game with a very simple premise:
>> you walk down a corridor, and are presented with a simple choice: if
>> the current stretch of corridor you are in is identical to the last
>> bit, keep moving forward. If there is something different - an anomaly
>> - then turn around. Repeat until you get to the end of the corridor.
>> It was a simple premise, wonderfully atmospheric, and quite fun. It
>> was also a game you could finish in five minutes. But given its
>> limited gameplay, I think that was fair: enjoyable as the concept was,
>> it alone couldn't carry a longer experience. While not the first to
>> explore the idea (arguably, Kojima's "P.T." demo was the originator)
>> "Exit 8" explored the idea so thoroughly that little more needed to be
>> done with it. "Exit 8's" biggest sin was its cost; even with today's
>> inflationary prices, $5 for 5 minutes of gameplay was a bit steep.
>> Still, it was well received by both critics and players.
>>
>> So of course now we're starting to be inundated by clones of the game.
>>
>> Well, perhaps 'inundated' is a bit excessive (then again, we're only a
>> couple of months since "Exit 8" was released). Still, already three
>> new games using the exact same concept have been announced: "Platform
>> 9" (from the same developer as "Exit 8"; "Anomaly Loop", and now
>> "Stairway 7". None of which do anything to really expand from the
>> original idea.
>>
>> We often praise Indie developers for helping to push new ideas,
>> especially in comparison to so-called 'triple-A' publishers who are
>> often seen as stick-in-the-mud developers who shy away from any game
>> that doesn't rehash tried-n-true 'safe' mechanics that will appeal to
>> the largest audience. Nonetheless, we should also recognize that
>> Indies are equally likely to fall back on 'safe' ideas too. In fact,
>> Indies are often even worse, doing little more than skinning over
>> somebody else's game and then calling it a day. It makes the worst
>> 'Doom clones' or 'Mario clones' of yesteryear look expansive in
>> comparison.
>>
>> Indie development is a double-edged sword, and as much as we condemn
>> the big-name publishers for their lack of innovation, so too should we
>> be wary about Indies. Good ideas can come from anywhere, and so too
>> bad trends like lazy copying.
>>
>> It's a shame. I quite enjoyed "Exit 8", and felt that its ideas - used
>> in moderation in a much fuller game - could be quite effective. But I
>> fear that - like crafting and survival games - it's going to end up
>> being used everywhere, watering down its effect.
>

> I mean, "poorly coded generic indie game ripping off stuff" is so common
> someone made a parody game about it (tERRORbane)

So, what are some of the indie rip offs of 'tERRORbane'?

dirty old man.

Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have

<l7gklsFrhuiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418355&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418355

From: lnlarson@stoat.inhoin.edu (Lane Larson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 17:22:49 -0500
 by: Lane Larson - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 22:22 UTC

The Back Rooms
Armello

that's all I can think off right now.

Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have

<uuvnp4$38shg$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418356&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418356

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 03:20:04 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 03:20 UTC

well like idk its a pretty new game

Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have

<uv0k0f$3f9ko$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418360&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418360

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:21:50 +0100
 by: JAB - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 11:21 UTC

On 07/04/2024 18:01, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> We often praise Indie developers for helping to push new ideas,
> especially in comparison to so-called 'triple-A' publishers who are
> often seen as stick-in-the-mud developers who shy away from any game
> that doesn't rehash tried-n-true 'safe' mechanics that will appeal to
> the largest audience. Nonetheless, we should also recognize that
> Indies are equally likely to fall back on 'safe' ideas too. In fact,
> Indies are often even worse, doing little more than skinning over
> somebody else's game and then calling it a day. It makes the worst
> 'Doom clones' or 'Mario clones' of yesteryear look expansive in
> comparison.

Oh I agree. Although I'd certainly say there's more innovation in indie
games* it also has a lot of jump on the bandwagon to make a quick buck
with no innovation to be seen. I think the difference is it's a space
where 'wacky' ideas still come out of the blue which remind me of the
early days of computer games (in the case probably the early 80's to the
very early 90's) where you would get games that you'd play and think WTF
is this.

*Now what an indie game actually is would seem to be a bit like porn.
Hard to define but you know it when you see it.

Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have

<uv0peu$3gkfb$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418361&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418361

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:50:43 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:50 UTC

On 4/8/2024 1:21 PM, JAB wrote:

> Oh I agree. Although I'd certainly say there's more innovation in indie
> games* it also has a lot of jump on the bandwagon to make a quick buck
> with no innovation to be seen. I think the difference is it's a space
> where 'wacky' ideas still come out of the blue which remind me of the
> early days of computer games (in the case probably the early 80's to the
> very early 90's) where you would get games that you'd play and think WTF
> is this.

Ugh, all those newfangled games. Pong was enough for your grandfather,
Pong was enough for your father, Pong sure enough is enough for you.

Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have

<uv10ac$3i5tm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418372&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418372

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 07:51:56 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:51 UTC

On 4/7/2024 10:01 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Nonetheless, we should also recognize that
> Indies are equally likely to fall back on 'safe' ideas too. In fact,
> Indies are often even worse, doing little more than skinning over
> somebody else's game and then calling it a day. It makes the worst
> 'Doom clones' or 'Mario clones' of yesteryear look expansive in
> comparison.

I think it's the human condition. Especially visible in music. Young
new artists make something different, their own and can't do anything
else, whether one hit wonder, or a slightly longer period of time they
run out of anything really new and interesting.

One can blame the consumers, they generally want more of the same and
demand it of the artists, which leads to the artists taking the money
and not working on anything new and getting stuck in that mode. They
even lash out at the artists for trying anything new saying things like
"You betrayed their roots," etc.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Begun the Anomaly Loop wars have

<1o181jtheu7uoube0osjvn6okfq9g91bv7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418374&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418374

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 11:04:55 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:04 UTC

On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:50:43 +0200, Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 4/8/2024 1:21 PM, JAB wrote:
>

>> Oh I agree. Although I'd certainly say there's more innovation in indie
>> games* it also has a lot of jump on the bandwagon to make a quick buck
>> with no innovation to be seen. I think the difference is it's a space
>> where 'wacky' ideas still come out of the blue which remind me of the
>> early days of computer games (in the case probably the early 80's to the
>> very early 90's) where you would get games that you'd play and think WTF
>> is this.
>>

>Ugh, all those newfangled games. Pong was enough for your grandfather,
>Pong was enough for your father, Pong sure enough is enough for you.

What, Space Wars isn't good enough for you? You kids, blindly
following the latest trends!!1!

(Ava Lovelace has entered the room, gambling tickets in hand...)