We cannot command nature except by obeying her. -- Sir Francis Bacon

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!Lane Larson
`* Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!Mike S.
 +* Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!candycanearter07
 |`* Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!Spalls Hurgenson
 | +- Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!Justisaur
 | `- Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!candycanearter07
 `- Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!Ross Ridge

1
Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!

<l718kuFhm2vU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418236&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418236

From: lnlarson@stoat.inhoin.edu (Lane Larson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 21:25:34 -0500
 by: Lane Larson - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 02:25 UTC

kyonshi wrote:
> Source: https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/50098/introducing-a-limited-floppy-edition-of-cyberpunk-2077
>
> INTRODUCING A LIMITED FLOPPY EDITION OF CYBERPUNK 2077!
> 2024-04-01
>
> Are you a fan of sleeper gaming PCs?
>
> Do you yearn for the retrofuturistic experience of the original
> Cyberpunk?
>
> Do you miss the good ol? days when game installation was a ritual
> of its own?
>

> Whichever of the above describes you best, then you?ll love the
> Floppy Edition of Cyberpunk 2077!
>

> Nowadays, in the era of digital distribution, most PCs come with
> no drives. However, we also heard many voices from people within
> our community who love the vintage experience of manual
> installation. We get it! After all, CD PROJEKT started by
> distributing games on CDs.
>

> That?s why we?ve decided to explore something you?ve been asking
> us for since even before the original release ? Cyberpunk 2077 on
> floppy diskettes!
>

> Embrace the ritual of classic game installation using 97,619 3.5?
> diskettes. Make sure to invite friends over and schedule shifts,
> as our initial estimations indicate that it might take about 2
> months of non-stop diskette-swapping to finish.
>

> Sounds awesome, right? It sure does! Follow the link below to
> wishlist the Floppy Edition! Be prepared for a truck delivery
> though!
>

> https://cp2077.ly/FloppyEdition
>

> See you in Night City!

Neither of my new computers even have CD-ROM drives. I purchased an
offboard DVD-ROM drive, mostly because I wanted to put some music CDs on
them. Haven't had any trouble with it. Dell.

Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!

<3rvn0j13br4lnf6qbqtfda8mt8apehn1v0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418239&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418239

From: Mike_S@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 08:53:42 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 12:53 UTC

On Mon, 1 Apr 2024 21:25:34 -0500, Lane Larson
<lnlarson@stoat.inhoin.edu> wrote:

>Neither of my new computers even have CD-ROM drives. I purchased an
>offboard DVD-ROM drive, mostly because I wanted to put some music CDs on
>them. Haven't had any trouble with it. Dell.

I bought my computer a few years ago. It not only has no drives but it
has no bays to put drives into. Seriously, that is when I realized
that physical media was dead on the PC.

Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!

<uuh03b$37h9a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418241&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418241

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 13:10:03 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 13:10 UTC

Mike S <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote at 12:53 this Tuesday (GMT):
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2024 21:25:34 -0500, Lane Larson
><lnlarson@stoat.inhoin.edu> wrote:
>
>>Neither of my new computers even have CD-ROM drives. I purchased an
>>offboard DVD-ROM drive, mostly because I wanted to put some music CDs on
>>them. Haven't had any trouble with it. Dell.
>
> I bought my computer a few years ago. It not only has no drives but it
> has no bays to put drives into. Seriously, that is when I realized
> that physical media was dead on the PC.

At least external USB drives exist.. unless it doesn't have that either.

Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!

<nc3o0j5b6lqsgojqsbtq23tj9rur76a1bf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418242&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418242

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 10:00:45 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:00 UTC

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 13:10:03 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07
<candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote:
>Mike S <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote at 12:53 this Tuesday (GMT):

>> I bought my computer a few years ago. It not only has no drives but it
>> has no bays to put drives into. Seriously, that is when I realized
>> that physical media was dead on the PC.

>At least external USB drives exist.. unless it doesn't have that either.

No, he said he bought a computer, not a Mac. ;-)

My newest PC is seriously limited in drive-bays too. It has no
external bays (so no floppy, optical or tape drives, nor any 'fun' LCD
displays), and its two 3.5" internal drive bays are essentially after
thoughts, inconveniently hidden beneath the front panel and difficult
to access (even the niches for 2.5" SSDs are somewhat hidden).

Coming from my previous PC, which had five external bays and at least
as many internal, the lack of upgrade options is jarring. Then again,
I knew this when I bought the PC. I could have opted for a better
chassis, but I didn't feel like paying the premium. Anyway, I still
have my older towers, so if I /really/ to, I can always transfer the
motherboard into the old case.

I don't need to use discs often... but when I do - whether floppy,
zip, optical or SD card - having external drives already in the drive
is a very welcome feature. Having to dig through the drawers trying to
find the necessary USB device is annoying.

Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!

<uuh4kk$38i39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418245&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418245

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 07:27:32 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:27 UTC

On 4/2/2024 7:00 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 13:10:03 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07
> <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote:
>> Mike S <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote at 12:53 this Tuesday (GMT):
>
>>> I bought my computer a few years ago. It not only has no drives but it
>>> has no bays to put drives into. Seriously, that is when I realized
>>> that physical media was dead on the PC.
>
>> At least external USB drives exist.. unless it doesn't have that either.
>
> No, he said he bought a computer, not a Mac. ;-)
>

> My newest PC is seriously limited in drive-bays too. It has no
> external bays (so no floppy, optical or tape drives, nor any 'fun' LCD
> displays), and its two 3.5" internal drive bays are essentially after
> thoughts, inconveniently hidden beneath the front panel and difficult
> to access (even the niches for 2.5" SSDs are somewhat hidden).
>
> Coming from my previous PC, which had five external bays and at least
> as many internal, the lack of upgrade options is jarring. Then again,
> I knew this when I bought the PC. I could have opted for a better
> chassis, but I didn't feel like paying the premium. Anyway, I still
> have my older towers, so if I /really/ to, I can always transfer the
> motherboard into the old case.
>
> I don't need to use discs often... but when I do - whether floppy,
> zip, optical or SD card - having external drives already in the drive
> is a very welcome feature. Having to dig through the drawers trying to
> find the necessary USB device is annoying.

I've got space for putting in drives in my big ass tower. I don't have
any though. In the past I've had problems with every single internal CD
or DVD player/writer I've bought for a PC. I have an external CD-DVD
player I've never had any issue with. It's in a drawer, which shows how
often I use it. I think I used it once in the last 3 years.

The CD format may eventually make a comeback as supposedly some company
claims they can fit 1.6 petabytes on one. By the time they get it to
market that probably won't be that impressive though.

I got rid of the majority of my floppies in my last move, and haven't
had any use for one.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!

<uuh7nc$39e6r$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418247&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418247

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 15:20:12 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 15:20 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 14:00 this Tuesday (GMT):
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 13:10:03 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07
><candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote:
>>Mike S <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote at 12:53 this Tuesday (GMT):
>
>>> I bought my computer a few years ago. It not only has no drives but it
>>> has no bays to put drives into. Seriously, that is when I realized
>>> that physical media was dead on the PC.
>
>>At least external USB drives exist.. unless it doesn't have that either.
>
> No, he said he bought a computer, not a Mac. ;-)

Good one!

> My newest PC is seriously limited in drive-bays too. It has no
> external bays (so no floppy, optical or tape drives, nor any 'fun' LCD
> displays), and its two 3.5" internal drive bays are essentially after
> thoughts, inconveniently hidden beneath the front panel and difficult
> to access (even the niches for 2.5" SSDs are somewhat hidden).

Yeah, I miss having the disk and wifi lights on my old T410.

> Coming from my previous PC, which had five external bays and at least
> as many internal, the lack of upgrade options is jarring. Then again,
> I knew this when I bought the PC. I could have opted for a better
> chassis, but I didn't feel like paying the premium. Anyway, I still
> have my older towers, so if I /really/ to, I can always transfer the
> motherboard into the old case.
>
> I don't need to use discs often... but when I do - whether floppy,
> zip, optical or SD card - having external drives already in the drive
> is a very welcome feature. Having to dig through the drawers trying to
> find the necessary USB device is annoying.

Or buying it.

Re: Introducing a limited floppy edition of Cyberpunk 2077!

<uursi4$265nb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418336&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418336

From: rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:17:08 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
 by: Ross Ridge - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:17 UTC

Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
>I bought my computer a few years ago. It not only has no drives but it
>has no bays to put drives into. Seriously, that is when I realized
>that physical media was dead on the PC.

If you're building your own or having one custom made, there seems to
be a better selection of cases with 5.25" drive bays than there was
a year and half ago when I was buying a case for my new PC. It looks
like they brought back (or maybe just found some stashed away somewhere)
a few older case designs with 3 external drive bays. You can even find
them with relatively modern USB 3.0 front panel ports.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca