Disobedience: The silver lining to the cloud of servitude. -- Ambrose Bierce

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

SubjectAuthor
* Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"Spalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"LucLan
|`- Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"rms
+* Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"candycanearter07
|`* Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"Justisaur
| +- Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"candycanearter07
| `- Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"JAB
+- Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"Justisaur
`* Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"Kyonshi
 `* Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"Justisaur
  `* Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"Kyonshi
   `* Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"Justisaur
    +- Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"Kyonshi
    `* Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"Spalls Hurgenson
     `- Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"Justisaur

1
Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<qqkt0jdnt2dupe704tr197me9vo0o99ah7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418304&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418304

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 12:33:30 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:33 UTC

I totally forgot it was Thursday. Well, obviously not 'totally',
seeing as I've remembered now... but usually I'm a bit more
on-the-ball. Oh well, I'm sure you'll none of you notice if I rush
through this announcement. ;-)

* The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition
Firstly, you may have this one already (Epic gave it away
back in December just passed). The game itself is essentially
"Starfield", albeit a bit more tongue in cheek and less focused
on quantity-over-quality. Whether you like it or not really
depends on whether its humor lands with you; gameplay-wise,
it's basically standard 'Bethesda-open-world', even if its
not made by Bethesda. A good game, in my opinion; not great,
but good.

* Thief (a.k.a., "Thief 4")
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/thief-5bb95f
This is the one where Garret, the eponymous thief, wears
eyeliner. It's... okay. I liked it's semi-open-world version
of the City, and some of the quests were fun... but it
lacked the atmosphere and FEEL of being a proper Thief game.
Combat was nerfed, so getting into a fight isn't as deadly
as it should be (and thus stealth became less of a necessity),
it had an awful end-game boss battle, and the overall story
was blah. But as a generic stealth-action game, it's fine.
It's just not Thief.

So, neither game are top-notch, but neither are stinkers either. And
they aren't retro-graphic'd Indies either, which is a very welcome
change. But I don't expect this beneficence to last; we'll be back to
the usual filler in a week or two, I'm sure. Anyway, you've got the
normal 7-day limit to claim these. Enjoy!

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uumld8$oq0k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418306&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418306

From: address@is.invalid (LucLan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:44:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: LucLan - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:44 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I totally forgot it was Thursday. Well, obviously not 'totally',
> seeing as I've remembered now... but usually I'm a bit more
> on-the-ball. Oh well, I'm sure you'll none of you notice if I rush
> through this announcement. ;-)
>

> * The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition
> Firstly, you may have this one already (Epic gave it away
> back in December just passed). The game itself is essentially
> "Starfield", albeit a bit more tongue in cheek and less focused
> on quantity-over-quality. Whether you like it or not really
> depends on whether its humor lands with you; gameplay-wise,
> it's basically standard 'Bethesda-open-world', even if its
> not made by Bethesda. A good game, in my opinion; not great,
> but good.
>

> * Thief (a.k.a., "Thief 4")
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/thief-5bb95f
> This is the one where Garret, the eponymous thief, wears
> eyeliner. It's... okay. I liked it's semi-open-world version
> of the City, and some of the quests were fun... but it
> lacked the atmosphere and FEEL of being a proper Thief game.
> Combat was nerfed, so getting into a fight isn't as deadly
> as it should be (and thus stealth became less of a necessity),
> it had an awful end-game boss battle, and the overall story
> was blah. But as a generic stealth-action game, it's fine.
> It's just not Thief.
>

> So, neither game are top-notch, but neither are stinkers either. And
> they aren't retro-graphic'd Indies either, which is a very welcome
> change. But I don't expect this beneficence to last; we'll be back to
> the usual filler in a week or two, I'm sure. Anyway, you've got the
> normal 7-day limit to claim these. Enjoy!

Thank you very much for the info.
I hope I will have time to play 'Thief'.

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uumlnv$p0p0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418308&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418308

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:50:07 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:50 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 16:33 this Thursday (GMT):

> I totally forgot it was Thursday. Well, obviously not 'totally',
> seeing as I've remembered now... but usually I'm a bit more
> on-the-ball. Oh well, I'm sure you'll none of you notice if I rush
> through this announcement. ;-)
>

> * The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition
> Firstly, you may have this one already (Epic gave it away
> back in December just passed). The game itself is essentially
> "Starfield", albeit a bit more tongue in cheek and less focused
> on quantity-over-quality. Whether you like it or not really
> depends on whether its humor lands with you; gameplay-wise,
> it's basically standard 'Bethesda-open-world', even if its
> not made by Bethesda. A good game, in my opinion; not great,
> but good.

Wasn't that one of those "bombed on release but redeemed over updates"
games or am I thinking of a different space game?

> * Thief (a.k.a., "Thief 4")
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/thief-5bb95f
> This is the one where Garret, the eponymous thief, wears
> eyeliner. It's... okay. I liked it's semi-open-world version
> of the City, and some of the quests were fun... but it
> lacked the atmosphere and FEEL of being a proper Thief game.
> Combat was nerfed, so getting into a fight isn't as deadly
> as it should be (and thus stealth became less of a necessity),
> it had an awful end-game boss battle, and the overall story
> was blah. But as a generic stealth-action game, it's fine.
> It's just not Thief.

I sure do love stealth games gradually making the character more
powerful until it becomes obsolete lol

> So, neither game are top-notch, but neither are stinkers either. And
> they aren't retro-graphic'd Indies either, which is a very welcome
> change. But I don't expect this beneficence to last; we'll be back to
> the usual filler in a week or two, I'm sure. Anyway, you've got the
> normal 7-day limit to claim these. Enjoy!

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uunkla$13r3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418313&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418313

From: rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:37:44 -0600
 by: rms - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 01:37 UTC

>I hope I will have time to play 'Thief'.

I pre-ordered and liked it a lot on release, and put 90+ hours into it.
The first game (in particular) is certainly better in plot and writing, but
Thief 4 looked great. I wonder how I would feel about it now....

rms

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uuo00g$162l4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418315&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418315

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 21:51:27 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 04:51 UTC

On 4/4/2024 9:33 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> I totally forgot it was Thursday. Well, obviously not 'totally',
> seeing as I've remembered now... but usually I'm a bit more
> on-the-ball. Oh well, I'm sure you'll none of you notice if I rush
> through this announcement. ;-)
>

> * The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition
> Firstly, you may have this one already (Epic gave it away
> back in December just passed). The game itself is essentially
> "Starfield", albeit a bit more tongue in cheek and less focused
> on quantity-over-quality. Whether you like it or not really
> depends on whether its humor lands with you; gameplay-wise,
> it's basically standard 'Bethesda-open-world', even if its
> not made by Bethesda. A good game, in my opinion; not great,
> but good.

It's not open world. But yeah it's a bit Fallout in space, or more
correctly on a number of mostly small areas of different worlds, and a
spaceship/station or 3. It's by Obsidian, the Fallout NV devs. I
personally enjoyed it more than Fallout 4 or NV for that matter. The
NPC party members are very good. Combat and character building is
fairly similar to Fallout from what I remember, with some twists. Well
worth a play or two.

> So, neither game are top-notch,

Shut yo' mouth about The Outer Worlds. It's quite top-notch! (Yeah it's
being given away like a redheaded step daughter, and probably everyone
here's got it already, I bought it when it came out.)

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uuo0m6$16apu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418316&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418316

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 22:02:59 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 05:02 UTC

On 4/4/2024 9:50 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 16:33 this Thursday (GMT):
>>
>> I totally forgot it was Thursday. Well, obviously not 'totally',
>> seeing as I've remembered now... but usually I'm a bit more
>> on-the-ball. Oh well, I'm sure you'll none of you notice if I rush
>> through this announcement. ;-)
>>

>> * The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition
>> Firstly, you may have this one already (Epic gave it away
>> back in December just passed). The game itself is essentially
>> "Starfield", albeit a bit more tongue in cheek and less focused
>> on quantity-over-quality. Whether you like it or not really
>> depends on whether its humor lands with you; gameplay-wise,
>> it's basically standard 'Bethesda-open-world', even if its
>> not made by Bethesda. A good game, in my opinion; not great,
>> but good.
>
> Wasn't that one of those "bombed on release but redeemed over updates"
> games or am I thinking of a different space game?

It's an awesome game on par with or better than Obsidian's Fallout NV
who also made this, since release. Reviews were very good, which is why
I bought it besides being a big Fallout fan. It did bomb sales wise, but
that's because it came out as one of the first Epic exclusives before
anyone was really using Epic. It's barely a space game, it's a CRPG
like Fallout except on some different worlds in a late-capitalist
dystopia that's falling apart.

The only space game I know of that might fit "bombed on release but
redeemed over updates" is No Man's Sky. That still doesn't sound like
my type of game other than being a space setting, but it's on my
wishlist and who knows, I might buy it someday.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uuo28p$16kb5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418318&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418318

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 05:30:02 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 05:30 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote at 05:02 this Friday (GMT):
> On 4/4/2024 9:50 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 16:33 this Thursday (GMT):
>>>
>>> I totally forgot it was Thursday. Well, obviously not 'totally',
>>> seeing as I've remembered now... but usually I'm a bit more
>>> on-the-ball. Oh well, I'm sure you'll none of you notice if I rush
>>> through this announcement. ;-)
>>>

>>> * The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
>>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition
>>> Firstly, you may have this one already (Epic gave it away
>>> back in December just passed). The game itself is essentially
>>> "Starfield", albeit a bit more tongue in cheek and less focused
>>> on quantity-over-quality. Whether you like it or not really
>>> depends on whether its humor lands with you; gameplay-wise,
>>> it's basically standard 'Bethesda-open-world', even if its
>>> not made by Bethesda. A good game, in my opinion; not great,
>>> but good.
>>
>> Wasn't that one of those "bombed on release but redeemed over updates"
>> games or am I thinking of a different space game?
>
> It's an awesome game on par with or better than Obsidian's Fallout NV
> who also made this, since release. Reviews were very good, which is why
> I bought it besides being a big Fallout fan. It did bomb sales wise, but
> that's because it came out as one of the first Epic exclusives before
> anyone was really using Epic. It's barely a space game, it's a CRPG
> like Fallout except on some different worlds in a late-capitalist
> dystopia that's falling apart.
>
> The only space game I know of that might fit "bombed on release but
> redeemed over updates" is No Man's Sky. That still doesn't sound like
> my type of game other than being a space setting, but it's on my
> wishlist and who knows, I might buy it someday.
>
> --
> -Justisaur
>
> ø-ø
> (\_/)\
> `-'\ `--.___,
> ¶¬'\( ,_.-'
> \\
> ^'

Oh yea, no mans sky is what I was thinking of.

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uuobhq$18rdu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418319&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418319

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 09:08:23 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 08:08 UTC

On 05/04/2024 06:02, Justisaur wrote:
> On 4/4/2024 9:50 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 16:33 this
>> Thursday (GMT):
>>>
>>> I totally forgot it was Thursday. Well, obviously not 'totally',
>>> seeing as I've remembered now... but usually I'm a bit more
>>> on-the-ball. Oh well, I'm sure you'll none of you notice if I rush
>>> through this announcement. ;-)
>>>

>>> * The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
>>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition
>>>     Firstly, you may have this one already (Epic gave it away
>>>     back in December just passed). The game itself is essentially
>>>     "Starfield", albeit a bit more tongue in cheek and less focused
>>>     on quantity-over-quality. Whether you like it or not really
>>>     depends on whether its humor lands with you; gameplay-wise,
>>>     it's basically standard 'Bethesda-open-world', even if its
>>>     not made by Bethesda. A good game, in my opinion; not great,
>>>     but good.
>>
>> Wasn't that one of those "bombed on release but redeemed over updates"
>> games or am I thinking of a different space game?
>
> It's an awesome game on par with or better than Obsidian's Fallout NV
> who also made this, since release.  Reviews were very good, which is why
> I bought it besides being a big Fallout fan. It did bomb sales wise, but
> that's because it came out as one of the first Epic exclusives before
> anyone was really using Epic.  It's barely a space game, it's a CRPG
> like Fallout except on some different worlds in a late-capitalist
> dystopia that's falling apart.

There were quite a few negative reviews on Steam comparing it
unfavourable to FO:NV and I never thought it was a fair comparison. The
games may look the same at first glance but they play quite differently
as CRPG's. So FO:3/NV have a big open world where you can just wander
the wasteland exploring all the stories/locations. There is a main quest
but I think in many ways it plays second fiddle to most of the other
content. OW really isn't an open world and also it's much more tightly
focused on the main story line with some side quests.

FO:NV is on my all time classics list whereas OW I enjoyed but I can't
say I thought it was a great game. That's really down to personal
preferences than one being better as they were trying to achieve
different things.

As always though, horses for courses and all that.

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uuoe41$19eok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418320&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418320

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 10:49:35 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 08:49 UTC

On 4/4/2024 6:33 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> I totally forgot it was Thursday. Well, obviously not 'totally',
> seeing as I've remembered now... but usually I'm a bit more
> on-the-ball. Oh well, I'm sure you'll none of you notice if I rush
> through this announcement. ;-)
>

> * The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition
> Firstly, you may have this one already (Epic gave it away
> back in December just passed). The game itself is essentially
> "Starfield", albeit a bit more tongue in cheek and less focused
> on quantity-over-quality. Whether you like it or not really
> depends on whether its humor lands with you; gameplay-wise,
> it's basically standard 'Bethesda-open-world', even if its
> not made by Bethesda. A good game, in my opinion; not great,
> but good.
>

> * Thief (a.k.a., "Thief 4")
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/thief-5bb95f
> This is the one where Garret, the eponymous thief, wears
> eyeliner. It's... okay. I liked it's semi-open-world version
> of the City, and some of the quests were fun... but it
> lacked the atmosphere and FEEL of being a proper Thief game.
> Combat was nerfed, so getting into a fight isn't as deadly
> as it should be (and thus stealth became less of a necessity),
> it had an awful end-game boss battle, and the overall story
> was blah. But as a generic stealth-action game, it's fine.
> It's just not Thief.
>

> So, neither game are top-notch, but neither are stinkers either. And
> they aren't retro-graphic'd Indies either, which is a very welcome
> change. But I don't expect this beneficence to last; we'll be back to
> the usual filler in a week or two, I'm sure. Anyway, you've got the
> normal 7-day limit to claim these. Enjoy!

Hmm. I have both of them already on Steam (and Thief I even paid for
instead of getting it in a bundle, only to realize it wasn't what I wanted).
Maybe I finally should try to play The Outer Worlds to see if I'd like it.
The problem is that in all that cheeky advertising it never really says
what it is even ABOUT.

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uup4oe$1elir$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418327&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418327

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 08:18:37 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 15:18 UTC

On 4/5/2024 1:49 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
> On 4/4/2024 6:33 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>
>> I totally forgot it was Thursday. Well, obviously not 'totally',
>> seeing as I've remembered now... but usually I'm a bit more
>> on-the-ball. Oh well, I'm sure you'll none of you notice if I rush
>> through this announcement. ;-)
>>

>> * The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition
>>     Firstly, you may have this one already (Epic gave it away
>>     back in December just passed). The game itself is essentially
>>     "Starfield", albeit a bit more tongue in cheek and less focused
>>     on quantity-over-quality. Whether you like it or not really
>>     depends on whether its humor lands with you; gameplay-wise,
>>     it's basically standard 'Bethesda-open-world', even if its
>>     not made by Bethesda. A good game, in my opinion; not great,
>>     but good.
>>

>> * Thief (a.k.a., "Thief 4")
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/thief-5bb95f
>>     This is the one where Garret, the eponymous thief, wears
>>     eyeliner. It's... okay. I liked it's semi-open-world version
>>     of the City, and some of the quests were fun... but it
>>     lacked the atmosphere and FEEL of being a proper Thief game.
>>     Combat was nerfed, so getting into a fight isn't as deadly
>>     as it should be (and thus stealth became less of a necessity),
>>     it had an awful end-game boss battle, and the overall story
>>     was blah. But as a generic stealth-action game, it's fine.
>>     It's just not Thief.
>>

>> So, neither game are top-notch, but neither are stinkers either. And
>> they aren't retro-graphic'd Indies either, which is a very welcome
>> change. But I don't expect this beneficence to last; we'll be back to
>> the usual filler in a week or two, I'm sure. Anyway, you've got the
>> normal 7-day limit to claim these. Enjoy!
>>

> Hmm. I have both of them already on Steam (and Thief I even paid for
> instead of getting it in a bundle, only to realize it wasn't what I
> wanted).
> Maybe I finally should try to play The Outer Worlds to see if I'd like it.
> The problem is that in all that cheeky advertising it never really says
> what it is even ABOUT.

Basically what I remember is you wander around solve a bunch of small
community's/corporate overlords problems - one way or another, often
involving violence, and not necessarily the way they want. Essentially
almost everyone has a lot of skeletons in their closet and only a very
few if anyone has clean hands. You're essentially the out of left field
monkey wrench to decide their fates.

Much like Fallout 4, you wake up from cyrosleep and don't have any idea
what's going on, and you discover what's up as you explore and talk to
people.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uuqu7f$1v5d2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418332&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418332

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 22:09:15 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 20:09 UTC

On 4/5/2024 5:18 PM, Justisaur wrote:
> On 4/5/2024 1:49 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
>> On 4/4/2024 6:33 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>>
>>> I totally forgot it was Thursday. Well, obviously not 'totally',
>>> seeing as I've remembered now... but usually I'm a bit more
>>> on-the-ball. Oh well, I'm sure you'll none of you notice if I rush
>>> through this announcement. ;-)
>>>

>>> * The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition
>>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/the-outer-worlds-spacers-choice-edition
>>>     Firstly, you may have this one already (Epic gave it away
>>>     back in December just passed). The game itself is essentially
>>>     "Starfield", albeit a bit more tongue in cheek and less focused
>>>     on quantity-over-quality. Whether you like it or not really
>>>     depends on whether its humor lands with you; gameplay-wise,
>>>     it's basically standard 'Bethesda-open-world', even if its
>>>     not made by Bethesda. A good game, in my opinion; not great,
>>>     but good.
>>>

>>> * Thief (a.k.a., "Thief 4")
>>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/thief-5bb95f
>>>     This is the one where Garret, the eponymous thief, wears
>>>     eyeliner. It's... okay. I liked it's semi-open-world version
>>>     of the City, and some of the quests were fun... but it
>>>     lacked the atmosphere and FEEL of being a proper Thief game.
>>>     Combat was nerfed, so getting into a fight isn't as deadly
>>>     as it should be (and thus stealth became less of a necessity),
>>>     it had an awful end-game boss battle, and the overall story
>>>     was blah. But as a generic stealth-action game, it's fine.
>>>     It's just not Thief.
>>>

>>> So, neither game are top-notch, but neither are stinkers either. And
>>> they aren't retro-graphic'd Indies either, which is a very welcome
>>> change. But I don't expect this beneficence to last; we'll be back to
>>> the usual filler in a week or two, I'm sure. Anyway, you've got the
>>> normal 7-day limit to claim these. Enjoy!
>>>

>> Hmm. I have both of them already on Steam (and Thief I even paid for
>> instead of getting it in a bundle, only to realize it wasn't what I
>> wanted).
>> Maybe I finally should try to play The Outer Worlds to see if I'd like
>> it.
>> The problem is that in all that cheeky advertising it never really
>> says what it is even ABOUT.
>
> Basically what I remember is you wander around solve a bunch of small
> community's/corporate overlords problems - one way or another, often
> involving violence, and not necessarily the way they want.  Essentially
> almost everyone has a lot of skeletons in their closet and only a very
> few if anyone has clean hands.  You're essentially the out of left field
> monkey wrench to decide their fates.
>
> Much like Fallout 4, you wake up from cyrosleep and don't have any idea
> what's going on, and you discover what's up as you explore and talk to
> people.

Yeah, I decided to start the game (considering I now have it on Steam
and Epic and didn't touch it). There's a bit of black humor in it, which
might go one way or another. Your main mission is to save the other
people trapped in your cryo-ship (well, so far) and you are supposed to
meet up with a smuggler who gets killed by your escape pod. Something
that seems to have happened before, as his ship's computer is very eager
to accept you as the ship's new owner (and implies that this has
happened multiple times before).
Well, that's as much as I got in about an hour of playing.

I do have to say that I don't really like first person perspective in
these games. I know I grew up with enough games that were like that, but
it feels limiting in comparison to 3rd person view.
Just a pet peeve of mine.

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uusjus$2bi71$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418339&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418339

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:56:27 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 22:56 UTC

On 4/5/2024 1:09 PM, Kyonshi wrote:

> I do have to say that I don't really like first person perspective in
> these games. I know I grew up with enough games that were like that, but
> it feels limiting in comparison to 3rd person view.
> Just a pet peeve of mine.

I too prefer seeing my character. That probably goes all the way back
to 2d flat turn based RPGs for me. But for real time games it gives a
tiny bit more field of view, and I get to see all my gear and whatnot.

I know some FPP games have had mods to add it in, but really you have to
have a model with movements. Apparently OW only has an idle model which
you can see when you don't touch the controls for a minute.

I understand it's a lot more work to make such a model with all the
movements though.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<20240407020522.000005aa@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418341&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418341

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 02:05:22 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 00:05 UTC

On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:56:27 -0700
Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > I do have to say that I don't really like first person perspective
> > in these games. I know I grew up with enough games that were like
> > that, but it feels limiting in comparison to 3rd person view.
> > Just a pet peeve of mine.
>
> I too prefer seeing my character. That probably goes all the way
> back to 2d flat turn based RPGs for me. But for real time games it
> gives a tiny bit more field of view, and I get to see all my gear and
> whatnot.
>
> I know some FPP games have had mods to add it in, but really you have
> to have a model with movements. Apparently OW only has an idle model
> which you can see when you don't touch the controls for a minute.
>
> I understand it's a lot more work to make such a model with all the
> movements though.

I assume it would be. I don't quite get the great reviews the game has
supposedly gotten, to me the graphics and game design look somewhat
lackluster so far.
But oh well, lets see what happens when I progress further.

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<c3q31jtq30njqsoqa4lpuhk1tdej4amhtq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418343&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418343

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 20:32:23 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 00:32 UTC

On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:56:27 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> I do have to say that I don't really like first person perspective in
>> these games. I know I grew up with enough games that were like that, but
>> it feels limiting in comparison to 3rd person view.
>> Just a pet peeve of mine.
>
>I too prefer seeing my character. That probably goes all the way back
>to 2d flat turn based RPGs for me. But for real time games it gives a
>tiny bit more field of view, and I get to see all my gear and whatnot.

>I know some FPP games have had mods to add it in, but really you have to
>have a model with movements. Apparently OW only has an idle model which
>you can see when you don't touch the controls for a minute.

I bounce between the two options. Being able to see my avatar is
important to making me feel immersed in the experience, but a
first-person view offers more intense moment-to-moment gameplay. The
best games are the ones that let you switch at will between the two.
That lets me play in TPP for ordinary activities (walking about,
picking up herbs, platforming) but zoom in for when I need to actually
LOOK at stuff, or for combat.

Preferably with the ability to move the camera further out too. Too
many third-person games have their cameras bolted too closely to the
character's butt for my enjoyment (it was, for instance, one of my
complaints with "Horizon: Zero Dawn". I'd have enjoyed that game more
if I could have zoomed out the camera a bit).

Re: Free Game: "Outer Worlds" and "Thief"

<uv0ueq$3honf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111418364&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111418364

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 07:20:09 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:20 UTC

On 4/6/2024 5:32 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 15:56:27 -0700, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

>>> I do have to say that I don't really like first person perspective in
>>> these games. I know I grew up with enough games that were like that, but
>>> it feels limiting in comparison to 3rd person view.
>>> Just a pet peeve of mine.
>>
>> I too prefer seeing my character. That probably goes all the way back
>> to 2d flat turn based RPGs for me. But for real time games it gives a
>> tiny bit more field of view, and I get to see all my gear and whatnot.
>
>> I know some FPP games have had mods to add it in, but really you have to
>> have a model with movements. Apparently OW only has an idle model which
>> you can see when you don't touch the controls for a minute.
>

> I bounce between the two options. Being able to see my avatar is
> important to making me feel immersed in the experience, but a
> first-person view offers more intense moment-to-moment gameplay. The
> best games are the ones that let you switch at will between the two.
> That lets me play in TPP for ordinary activities (walking about,
> picking up herbs, platforming) but zoom in for when I need to actually
> LOOK at stuff, or for combat.

Hear Hear!

That's actually my biggest complaint about Souls games is the camera
especially in fights with really big bosses. If I could zoom out a bit
so I could see what they hell the ancient dragon is doing it wouldn't be
so needlessly frustrating.

I do also prefer being able to switch between modes. Obviously again
that's more work for the devs making sure both work and look good.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\