An optimist believes we live in the best world possible; a pessimist fears this is true.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

SubjectAuthor
* Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetSpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetZaghadka
+* Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetDimensional Traveler
|+- Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetcandycanearter07
|+* Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetXocyll
||`- Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetcandycanearter07
|`- Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetJAB
+* Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetWerner P.
|`* Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetJAB
| `* Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetWerner P.
|  +- Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetDimensional Traveler
|  `* Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetJAB
|   `- Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetXocyll
`- Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feetDimensional Traveler

1
Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<3o5vui5m7mskfiec8m4c3ija2lciep1meo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417856&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417856

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:53:47 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 23:53 UTC

<snark mode=full power>

I know we've all been very concerned about what Bobby Kotick -
long-term CEO of Activision - is going to be doing with his time now
that he's no longer CEO of Activision. After all, he's such a
/beloved/ personality and under his guidance Activision became the
awesomely innovative company it is today. That's how we all remember
Bobby, right?

Well, don't worry; he's making do. In fact, he's thinking of buying
TikTok.* And I can't think of an online community more deserving of
him.

Okay, maybe that's unfair to TikTok (I'm not anti-TikTok because I'm
old; I'm anti-TikTok because I prefer long-form communication). I'm
not sure any community deserves Bobby leading it.

It's not confirmed, this rumor of his acquiring the company. He's
merely 'expressed interest'. He's also said that he sees it as
valuable for training AI models, instead of, you know, as an online
community. I guess it isn't at all surprising that he sees it as a
resource to be mined rather than valued for itself.

Of course, even with all the money he looted - erm, I mean,
legitmately earned through hard work - from Activision, Kotick won't
be able to afford TikTok all on his lonesome. Fortunately, he's
thinking of involving such treasured luminaries as Sam Altman in the
purchase. I'm sure with two such endearing personalities leading the
charge, TikTok will soar to new heights.

And we won't have to worry about Bobby anymore.

* read here:
https://www.wsj.com/tech/why-the-new-effort-to-ban-tiktok-caught-fire-with-lawmakers-7cd3f980?st=jnjw9hqtrb8mfct&s=03

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<ha8vuidmoc2rij24hu8rbn9ct3dtetnu69@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417857&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417857

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:28:30 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:28 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:53:47 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

><snark mode=full power>
>
>I know we've all been very concerned about what Bobby Kotick -
>long-term CEO of Activision - is going to be doing with his time now
>that he's no longer CEO of Activision. After all, he's such a
>/beloved/ personality and under his guidance Activision became the
>awesomely innovative company it is today. That's how we all remember
>Bobby, right?
>
>Well, don't worry; he's making do. In fact, he's thinking of buying
>TikTok.* And I can't think of an online community more deserving of
>him.
>
>Okay, maybe that's unfair to TikTok (I'm not anti-TikTok because I'm
>old; I'm anti-TikTok because I prefer long-form communication). I'm
>not sure any community deserves Bobby leading it.
>
>It's not confirmed, this rumor of his acquiring the company. He's
>merely 'expressed interest'. He's also said that he sees it as
>valuable for training AI models, instead of, you know, as an online
>community. I guess it isn't at all surprising that he sees it as a
>resource to be mined rather than valued for itself.
>
>Of course, even with all the money he looted - erm, I mean,
>legitmately earned through hard work - from Activision, Kotick won't
>be able to afford TikTok all on his lonesome. Fortunately, he's
>thinking of involving such treasured luminaries as Sam Altman in the
>purchase. I'm sure with two such endearing personalities leading the
>charge, TikTok will soar to new heights.
>
>And we won't have to worry about Bobby anymore.

My concern is deep and heartfelt as well.

Hmm. I think I'd like to buy Tik-Tok. You in, Spalls?

There's, now *I've* expressed interest in purchasing Tik-Tok with a
business partner!

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<uso8t3$3tk0t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417858&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417858

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:50:45 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:50 UTC

On 3/11/2024 4:53 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> <snark mode=full power>
>
> I know we've all been very concerned about what Bobby Kotick -
> long-term CEO of Activision - is going to be doing with his time now
> that he's no longer CEO of Activision. After all, he's such a
> /beloved/ personality and under his guidance Activision became the
> awesomely innovative company it is today. That's how we all remember
> Bobby, right?

Who?

> Well, don't worry; he's making do. In fact, he's thinking of buying
> TikTok.* And I can't think of an online community more deserving of
> him.
>
> Okay, maybe that's unfair to TikTok (I'm not anti-TikTok because I'm
> old; I'm anti-TikTok because I prefer long-form communication). I'm
> not sure any community deserves Bobby leading it.

Musk has already claimed 'X', is he going to rename this to 'Y'?

> It's not confirmed, this rumor of his acquiring the company. He's
> merely 'expressed interest'. He's also said that he sees it as
> valuable for training AI models,

I do not want to be on the same planet as an AI "trained" on TikTok.
Maybe not even the same star system....

> instead of, you know, as an online community. I guess it isn't at all surprising that he sees it as a
> resource to be mined rather than valued for itself.

It has value for itself?

> Of course, even with all the money he looted - erm, I mean,
> legitmately earned through hard work - from Activision, Kotick won't
> be able to afford TikTok all on his lonesome. Fortunately, he's
> thinking of involving such treasured luminaries as Sam Altman in the
> purchase. I'm sure with two such endearing personalities leading the
> charge, TikTok will soar to new heights.
>
> And we won't have to worry about Bobby anymore.

Who?

> * read here:
> https://www.wsj.com/tech/why-the-new-effort-to-ban-tiktok-caught-fire-with-lawmakers-7cd3f980?st=jnjw9hqtrb8mfct&s=03

No thank you.

dirty old man.

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<usoeng$3un4n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417861&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417861

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 02:30:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 02:30 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote at 00:50 this Tuesday (GMT):
> On 3/11/2024 4:53 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
[snip]
>> It's not confirmed, this rumor of his acquiring the company. He's
>> merely 'expressed interest'. He's also said that he sees it as
>> valuable for training AI models,
>
> I do not want to be on the same planet as an AI "trained" on TikTok.
> Maybe not even the same star system....

That seems like the worst possible idea ever. We already saw what
happened with Twitter(X) ai..

>> instead of, you know, as an online community. I guess it isn't at all surprising that he sees it as a
>> resource to be mined rather than valued for itself.
>
> It has value for itself?

no

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<usosmn$53n6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417862&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417862

From: werpu@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 07:28:39 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 06:28 UTC

Am 12.03.24 um 00:53 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> ll, don't worry; he's making do. In fact, he's thinking of buying
> TikTok.* And I can't think of an online community more deserving of
> him.

Yes absolutely perfect fit...

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<eg61vi9h7ni78gcem1kb5visrl9ss22aqp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417864&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417864

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:08:17 -0400
 by: Xocyll - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:08 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> looked up from reading the
say:

>On 3/11/2024 4:53 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> <snark mode=full power>
>>
>> I know we've all been very concerned about what Bobby Kotick -
>> long-term CEO of Activision - is going to be doing with his time now
>> that he's no longer CEO of Activision. After all, he's such a
>> /beloved/ personality and under his guidance Activision became the
>> awesomely innovative company it is today. That's how we all remember
>> Bobby, right?
>>
>Who?
>
>> Well, don't worry; he's making do. In fact, he's thinking of buying
>> TikTok.* And I can't think of an online community more deserving of
>> him.
>>
>> Okay, maybe that's unfair to TikTok (I'm not anti-TikTok because I'm
>> old; I'm anti-TikTok because I prefer long-form communication). I'm
>> not sure any community deserves Bobby leading it.
>>
>Musk has already claimed 'X', is he going to rename this to 'Y'?

Don't be silly, XikXok, or perhaps ShortX.
<snip>

Xocyll

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<usru7k$t558$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417869&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417869

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:13:05 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:13 UTC

On 12/03/2024 00:50, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> Okay, maybe that's unfair to TikTok (I'm not anti-TikTok because I'm
>> old; I'm anti-TikTok because I prefer long-form communication). I'm
>> not sure any community deserves Bobby leading it.
>>
> Musk has already claimed 'X', is he going to rename this to 'Y'?

Maybe rename it DickCock just so you know Bobby boy owns it?

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<uss0aq$tmbu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417871&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417871

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:48:54 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:48 UTC

On 12/03/2024 06:28, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 12.03.24 um 00:53 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
>> ll, don't worry; he's making do. In fact, he's thinking of buying
>> TikTok.* And I can't think of an online community more deserving of
>> him.
>
> Yes absolutely perfect fit...

TikTok is part of social media I don't really understand as it seems
aimed at two types of people, those with the attention span of a gnat
and those who want to show off just how 'brilliant' they are to
strangers on the internet.

What I hate even more about it is when someone insists on showing me
this 'funny' video that someone sent to them!

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<ussi0o$113s8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417876&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417876

From: werpu@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 16:50:48 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:50 UTC

Am 13.03.24 um 11:48 schrieb JAB:

> TikTok is part of social media I don't really understand as it seems
> aimed at two types of people, those with the attention span of a gnat
> and those who want to show off just how 'brilliant' they are to
> strangers on the internet.
>
> What I hate even more about it is when someone insists on showing me
> this 'funny' video that someone sent to them!
It is a narcissist greenhouse... perfect fit for Kotick

And yes, it is annoying, unless you have a 5 seconds attention span,
which I exceed!

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<ussien$114mj$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417879&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417879

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 08:58:16 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:58 UTC

On 3/13/2024 8:50 AM, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 13.03.24 um 11:48 schrieb JAB:
>>>

>> TikTok is part of social media I don't really understand as it seems
>> aimed at two types of people, those with the attention span of a gnat
>> and those who want to show off just how 'brilliant' they are to
>> strangers on the internet.
>>
>> What I hate even more about it is when someone insists on showing me
>> this 'funny' video that someone sent to them!
> It is a narcissist greenhouse... perfect fit for Kotick
>
> And yes, it is annoying, unless you have a 5 seconds attention span,
> which I exceed!

If I ever watched something on TikTok I suspect I'd only pay attention
for about 5 seconds because it wouldn't hold my attention for any longer
than that.

dirty old man.

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<usuht9$1hq0o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417888&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417888

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:01:12 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:01 UTC

On 13/03/2024 15:50, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 13.03.24 um 11:48 schrieb JAB:
>>>

>> TikTok is part of social media I don't really understand as it seems
>> aimed at two types of people, those with the attention span of a gnat
>> and those who want to show off just how 'brilliant' they are to
>> strangers on the internet.
>>
>> What I hate even more about it is when someone insists on showing me
>> this 'funny' video that someone sent to them!
> It is a narcissist greenhouse... perfect fit for Kotick
>
> And yes, it is annoying, unless you have a 5 seconds attention span,
> which I exceed!

It's something I dislike about social media in general it pretty much
encourages that type of behaviour and then goes out of its way to give
you 'performance anxiety' if you're not popular enough. That doesn't
mean I think it's all bad just 95% of it!

The other thing I don't like about it is the way the algorithms are
designed to feed you information that it thinks you're like which in
this case means information that it thinks you'll agree with. Oh you
just watched a video from one side of the political spectrum so lets
show you something from the over side that may give you a different
perspective. On the other hand lets just give you something that doesn't
challenge your view point but instead re-enforces it.

Another problem, a lie is spread halfway around the world before the
truth has even got out of bed.

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<usv945$1nl7k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417892&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417892

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:37:27 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 16:37 UTC

On 3/11/2024 4:53 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> <snark mode=full power>

<snip for space>

> * read here:
> https://www.wsj.com/tech/why-the-new-effort-to-ban-tiktok-caught-fire-with-lawmakers-7cd3f980?st=jnjw9hqtrb8mfct&s=03

Just to show another angle on this....

House passes a bill that could lead to a TikTok ban if Chinese owner
refuses to sell
The Associated Press

https://apnews.com/article/tiktok-ban-house-vote-china-national-security-8fa7258fae1a4902d344c9d978d58a37

The US House of Representatives passed a bill to require the company
that owns TikTok to sell it to a non-Chinese entity or be banned in the US.

dirty old man.

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<usvb1b$1o6nq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417896&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417896

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 17:10:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 17:10 UTC

Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote at 18:08 this Tuesday (GMT):
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> say:
>
>>On 3/11/2024 4:53 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>> <snark mode=full power>
>>>
>>> I know we've all been very concerned about what Bobby Kotick -
>>> long-term CEO of Activision - is going to be doing with his time now
>>> that he's no longer CEO of Activision. After all, he's such a
>>> /beloved/ personality and under his guidance Activision became the
>>> awesomely innovative company it is today. That's how we all remember
>>> Bobby, right?
>>>
>>Who?
>>
>>> Well, don't worry; he's making do. In fact, he's thinking of buying
>>> TikTok.* And I can't think of an online community more deserving of
>>> him.
>>>
>>> Okay, maybe that's unfair to TikTok (I'm not anti-TikTok because I'm
>>> old; I'm anti-TikTok because I prefer long-form communication). I'm
>>> not sure any community deserves Bobby leading it.
>>>
>>Musk has already claimed 'X', is he going to rename this to 'Y'?
>
> Don't be silly, XikXok, or perhaps ShortX.
><snip>
>
> Xocyll

Or VineX (Xine?)

Re: Bobby Kotick Lands on his feet

<mjo6vi9e7146vb37fd6knmn8ic0kj8t9de@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417900&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417900

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 16:48:27 -0400
 by: Xocyll - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:48 UTC

JAB <noway@nochance.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On 13/03/2024 15:50, Werner P. wrote:
>> Am 13.03.24 um 11:48 schrieb JAB:
>>>>

>>> TikTok is part of social media I don't really understand as it seems
>>> aimed at two types of people, those with the attention span of a gnat
>>> and those who want to show off just how 'brilliant' they are to
>>> strangers on the internet.
>>>
>>> What I hate even more about it is when someone insists on showing me
>>> this 'funny' video that someone sent to them!
>> It is a narcissist greenhouse... perfect fit for Kotick
>>
>> And yes, it is annoying, unless you have a 5 seconds attention span,
>> which I exceed!
>>

>It's something I dislike about social media in general it pretty much
>encourages that type of behaviour and then goes out of its way to give
>you 'performance anxiety' if you're not popular enough. That doesn't
>mean I think it's all bad just 95% of it!
>
>The other thing I don't like about it is the way the algorithms are
>designed to feed you information that it thinks you're like which in
>this case means information that it thinks you'll agree with. Oh you
>just watched a video from one side of the political spectrum so lets
>show you something from the over side that may give you a different
>perspective. On the other hand lets just give you something that doesn't
>challenge your view point but instead re-enforces it.
>
>Another problem, a lie is spread halfway around the world before the
>truth has even got out of bed.

Always heard that as "A lie will be half way round the world before the
truth has got it's boots on."

Xocyll