Knowledge, sir, should be free to all! -- Harry Mudd, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: FREE GAME: Space Crew

SubjectAuthor
* FREE GAME: Space CrewSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: FREE GAME: Space CrewJAB
|`- Re: FREE GAME: Space CrewSpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: FREE GAME: Space CrewJustisaur
`* Re: FREE GAME: Space Crewcandycanearter07
 `* Re: FREE GAME: Space CrewSpalls Hurgenson
  `* Re: FREE GAME: Space Crewcandycanearter07
   `* Re: FREE GAME: Space CrewSpalls Hurgenson
    `- Re: FREE GAME: Space Crewcandycanearter07

1
FREE GAME: Space Crew

<up1aui1as9483h4p6rnjotk9babu7an9im@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417646&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417646

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: FREE GAME: Space Crew
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 18:31:56 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 23:31 UTC

Another day, another free game. This time, it's on Steam

* Space Crew: Legendary Edition
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1176710/Space_Crew_Legendary_Edition/
Okay, sure, it's basically a casual mobile game ported
to PC but that doesn't automatically make it awful.
Gameplay-wise, it reminds me of a less intense version
of "FTL" with a few more things to do, and more varied
visuals. Is it the sort of game that will occupy you
for long? No, but it's fine for a quick breather
between more 'serious' titles. And it's free.

Sadly, I can only announce this one, not benefit. I already own it. I
hate not getting freebies (If only there were a way for me to avoid
this problem ;-)!

Re: FREE GAME: Space Crew

<us4dpi$34kh9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417658&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417658

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: FREE GAME: Space Crew
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:11:29 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:11 UTC

On 03/03/2024 23:31, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Another day, another free game. This time, it's on Steam
>

> * Space Crew: Legendary Edition
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1176710/Space_Crew_Legendary_Edition/
> Okay, sure, it's basically a casual mobile game ported
> to PC but that doesn't automatically make it awful.
> Gameplay-wise, it reminds me of a less intense version
> of "FTL" with a few more things to do, and more varied
> visuals. Is it the sort of game that will occupy you
> for long? No, but it's fine for a quick breather
> between more 'serious' titles. And it's free.
>

> Sadly, I can only announce this one, not benefit. I already own it. I
> hate not getting freebies (If only there were a way for me to avoid
> this problem ;-)!

I think I'll pass!

"Do you love grinding endlessly for the tiniest upgrades?
Do you love every failed mission losing you two hours of grinding?
Do you love the intuitive logic of a ship that for SOME reason can't
hire enough crew to man all its guns?
Do you love repetitive missions, intentionally awkward controls, and
tediously slow progression?
Then this game is for you! "

Re: FREE GAME: Space Crew

<tepbuil60kbejuftlftnetctfkkm9fvmcl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417660&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417660

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 10:20:47 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:20 UTC

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:11:29 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>On 03/03/2024 23:31, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> Another day, another free game. This time, it's on Steam
>>

>> * Space Crew: Legendary Edition
>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1176710/Space_Crew_Legendary_Edition/
>> Okay, sure, it's basically a casual mobile game ported
>> to PC but that doesn't automatically make it awful.
>> Gameplay-wise, it reminds me of a less intense version
>> of "FTL" with a few more things to do, and more varied
>> visuals. Is it the sort of game that will occupy you
>> for long? No, but it's fine for a quick breather
>> between more 'serious' titles. And it's free.
>>

>> Sadly, I can only announce this one, not benefit. I already own it. I
>> hate not getting freebies (If only there were a way for me to avoid
>> this problem ;-)!
>>

>I think I'll pass!
>
>"Do you love grinding endlessly for the tiniest upgrades?
>Do you love every failed mission losing you two hours of grinding?
>Do you love the intuitive logic of a ship that for SOME reason can't
>hire enough crew to man all its guns?
>Do you love repetitive missions, intentionally awkward controls, and
>tediously slow progression?
>Then this game is for you! "

Not that I disagree with any of that, however I think this is
indicative of how the game (and similar titles), is, at heart,
designed to be played as a mobile title. Namely, in small five- or
ten-minute chunks. Playing it thusly disguises its repetitiveness and
grind.

Of course, this game is being sold on PC, where it's common to play
for hours on end, so there's really no excuse for the developers. But
the core design philosophy is sound... if utilized on the proper
platform.

Anyway, just 'cause you claim the game doesn't mean you actually have
to play it. The Number is happy either way. ;-)

Re: FREE GAME: Space Crew

<us4s2m$37nk4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417663&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417663

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 08:15:18 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:15 UTC

On 3/3/2024 3:31 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Another day, another free game. This time, it's on Steam
>

> * Space Crew: Legendary Edition
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1176710/Space_Crew_Legendary_Edition/
> Okay, sure, it's basically a casual mobile game ported
> to PC but that doesn't automatically make it awful.
> Gameplay-wise, it reminds me of a less intense version
> of "FTL" with a few more things to do, and more varied
> visuals. Is it the sort of game that will occupy you
> for long? No, but it's fine for a quick breather
> between more 'serious' titles. And it's free.
>

> Sadly, I can only announce this one, not benefit. I already own it. I
> hate not getting freebies (If only there were a way for me to avoid
> this problem ;-)!

I'm 99% sure I've got this from somewhere else, Prime maybe? I got it
on steam, though I'm sure I played it a tiny bit and didn't really care
for it.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: FREE GAME: Space Crew

<us4th8$3881j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417664&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417664

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:40:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:40 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 23:31 this Sunday (GMT):
> Another day, another free game. This time, it's on Steam
>

> * Space Crew: Legendary Edition
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1176710/Space_Crew_Legendary_Edition/
> Okay, sure, it's basically a casual mobile game ported
> to PC but that doesn't automatically make it awful.
[snip]

The only mobile-port game I can really think of that was actually
good was ProgressBar95.

Re: FREE GAME: Space Crew

<qv9fuilp6lr9k35krmjutn35forou4avh9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417690&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417690

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 18:19:25 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:19 UTC

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:40:09 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07
<candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote:

>Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 23:31 this Sunday (GMT):
>> Another day, another free game. This time, it's on Steam
>>

>> * Space Crew: Legendary Edition
>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1176710/Space_Crew_Legendary_Edition/
>> Okay, sure, it's basically a casual mobile game ported
>> to PC but that doesn't automatically make it awful.
>[snip]
>
>The only mobile-port game I can really think of that was actually
>good was ProgressBar95.

The gameplay in ProgressBar was attrocious, but I really enjoyed
revisting the old GUIs (or at least their takes on 'em). They've since
released several updates adding more GUIs, and I'm tempted to go back
and give the game another chance.

But then I'd actually have to play all its mini-games again...

Re: FREE GAME: Space Crew

<us8mfb$6i2m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417697&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417697

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 03:04:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 03:04 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 23:19 this Tuesday (GMT):
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:40:09 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07
><candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote:
>
>>Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 23:31 this Sunday (GMT):
>>> Another day, another free game. This time, it's on Steam
>>>

>>> * Space Crew: Legendary Edition
>>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1176710/Space_Crew_Legendary_Edition/
>>> Okay, sure, it's basically a casual mobile game ported
>>> to PC but that doesn't automatically make it awful.
>>[snip]
>>
>>The only mobile-port game I can really think of that was actually
>>good was ProgressBar95.
>

> The gameplay in ProgressBar was attrocious, but I really enjoyed
> revisting the old GUIs (or at least their takes on 'em). They've since
> released several updates adding more GUIs, and I'm tempted to go back
> and give the game another chance.
>
> But then I'd actually have to play all its mini-games again...

Oh cool, you're the first person who actually knew what I was
talking about :D
I did like the gameplay, but I kinda got burned out.. I think I
stopped around when the Decomp gun was added in May.

Re: FREE GAME: Space Crew

<js2hui5pma9j137hc94aeqa72e4q3c1v88@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417701&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417701

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 10:31:37 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:31 UTC

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 03:04:12 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07
<candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote:

>Oh cool, you're the first person who actually knew what I was
>talking about :D
>I did like the gameplay, but I kinda got burned out.. I think I
>stopped around when the Decomp gun was added in May.

I have no idea what the Decomp gun is, but whether that is because I
just don't remember or because the last time I played the game was in
late 2020 is up to you to decide. ;-)

I don't mind 'casual' or 'mobile' games. I just don't think they're a
good fit for PCs. I'm fine with them on a handheld but - IMHO - if
you're making/porting a game to PC, you ought to make sure its
gameplay is full enough to support an hour-long gaming session. And
most casual/mobile games are designed to be played in five minute
spurts, while waiting for a friend or in the elevator, or whatever.

But YMMV. I'm probably old, what do I know what's popular these days.
;-)

Re: FREE GAME: Space Crew

<usd9so$18f4a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417726&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417726

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 21:00:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 21:00 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 15:31 this Wednesday (GMT):
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 03:04:12 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07
><candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> wrote:
>
>>Oh cool, you're the first person who actually knew what I was
>>talking about :D
>>I did like the gameplay, but I kinda got burned out.. I think I
>>stopped around when the Decomp gun was added in May.
>
> I have no idea what the Decomp gun is, but whether that is because I
> just don't remember or because the last time I played the game was in
> late 2020 is up to you to decide. ;-)

Yeah, I think it was added in late 2022/3? I'm not sure though.

> I don't mind 'casual' or 'mobile' games. I just don't think they're a
> good fit for PCs. I'm fine with them on a handheld but - IMHO - if
> you're making/porting a game to PC, you ought to make sure its
> gameplay is full enough to support an hour-long gaming session. And
> most casual/mobile games are designed to be played in five minute
> spurts, while waiting for a friend or in the elevator, or whatever.
>
> But YMMV. I'm probably old, what do I know what's popular these days.
> ;-)

Agreed, except I played a worrying amount of PB95 on my computer.
According to steam, I've played it for about 170 hours.