From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: FREE GAME: Astro Duel 2
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 11:05:38 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 16:05 UTC

Hello! The game you want - the reason you clicked on this post - is
right down there.? Just look for the bit starting with an asterisk.
This part is just my usual introductory blather. I know none of you
read it. I don't know why I even bother. It just feels wrong to jump
right into the free stuff. It needs build-up, fanfare, /something/,
you know? So, imagine some fanfare; maybe some trumpets blowing -
da-da-da-DAAAAH! - or something. There. NOW we can go to the free
game.

* Astro Duel 2
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/astro-duel-2-e1261d
Surely after all that (and if you don't know what I mean
by 'all that' then you - as usual - skipped my introductory
paragraph ;-) the game on offer must be great. Well, I don't
know if it's /bad/ but it doesn't look /great/. It's a
top-down shooter (heaven, hell, take your pick) with
retro-graphics. If that's your thing, you'll probably get a
kick out of it. It seems to be co-op/versus-only though,
so single-player gamers are left in the lurch. All in all,
I'm not sure it was worth the triumphal trumpets.

Seven days to decide; choose wisely. The Number is watching and will
judge you accordingly.

Re: FREE GAME: Astro Duel 2

<9s6kuit0800tgi3gdge104hvb6155burm6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417722&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417722

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: FREE GAME: Astro Duel 2
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 13:55:42 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 19:55 UTC

On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 11:05:38 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>Hello! The game you want - the reason you clicked on this post - is
>right down there.? Just look for the bit starting with an asterisk.

Actually, I clicked to see if you had anything clever to say about how
utterly lame this offering is. I am a sad panda.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: FREE GAME: Astro Duel 2

<usd9a0$18b2q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417723&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417723

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:50:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:50 UTC

Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com> wrote at 19:55 this Thursday (GMT):
> On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 11:05:38 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>

>>Hello! The game you want - the reason you clicked on this post - is
>>right down there.? Just look for the bit starting with an asterisk.
>
> Actually, I clicked to see if you had anything clever to say about how
> utterly lame this offering is. I am a sad panda.

Same, though I think I might have played the first game at some
point. The font seemed familiar.

Re: FREE GAME: Astro Duel 2

<bh9muipalouj20vfvnp1mnslsejethme1m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417821&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417821

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 10:03:25 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:03 UTC

On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 13:55:42 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Actually, I clicked to see if you had anything clever to say about how
>utterly lame this offering is. I am a sad panda.

But is it lame?

I suppose it is, in the sense that "hello, we're Epic, a multi-billion
dollar company, and the best we can offer is this cheap Indie game as
a freebie". Or maybe even in a, "Hello, I hate Indie and/or retro
titles therefore this game is terrible according to my tastes."

On the other hand, I am sure there are a lot of people who DO like
this genre of game (although I myself am not one of them) who would
take offense at your denigration of their favored style.

The game itself is also brand new, rather than some reheated Indie
title released years ago. Being offered for free on release day is
pretty cool. And while we only have 24 hours of reviews to go by, so
far most are quite positive about the game, regarding it as a fun
throwback to old-school shooters you'd play with a bunch of friends on
the couch.

Not my style of game certainly, and I myself wish we'd see Epic
offering fewer Indie/retro/arcade games, but I'm not sure this
qualifies as the game itself as 'lame'. Epic, maybe, but the game
itself seems to be good for what it is.

(Yes, I can easily trash the game in one post and defend it in the
next. I'm naturally ornery ;-)

Re: FREE GAME: Astro Duel 2

<9qpmui1cib0mflef59j5esugn933hkha2n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417826&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417826

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:32:56 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:32 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 10:03:25 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>But is it lame?

It is undoubtedly so.