Somebody's terminal is dropping bits. I found a pile of them over in the corner.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / CRAP Poll: Jackpot!

SubjectAuthor
* CRAP Poll: Jackpot!Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!Mike S.
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!Justisaur
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!candycanearter07
+* Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!Dimensional Traveler
|+- Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!candycanearter07
|`* Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!Justisaur
| `- Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!Dimensional Traveler
`* Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!Zaghadka
 `- Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!Spalls Hurgenson

1
CRAP Poll: Jackpot!

<o3qvtih2h0i87481d8n59b40jg6hsjgdhi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417553&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417553

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 22:02:22 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 03:02 UTC

[So, this Completely Random and Pointless Poll is going to be slightly
different. Come with me for a voyage into the realm of fantasy:]

Congratulations! You've been hired, at a very premium salary, by a
software publisher for a very high-level position. They are going to
release a new game with a budget of $150 million dollars, and - all
you need to do to earn your salary - is decide what kind of game
you're going to make! But there are some rules to this fantasy:

1) You aren't picking the game to be made so much as the
type of game, from a list provided to you below (You
may have a specific game in mind and maybe the
developers will make that, but really you need to
choose based on the options below)
2) That game will be released and - magically - will be
/at least/ of average quality (it may be great, it may
not, but for $150 million USD you know aren't going to
get a flop). It will also get enough sales to at least
earn back the expense of making it.
3) Here's the kicker though: You're going to have to play
this game at least 500 hours, and your name will be
associated with it forever.

Your choice of game types are:

A) Enhancement: Take a classic game - probably one you
love - and give it some minor tweaks and upgrades. It's
still visibly an old game - in its graphics, sounds,
and gameplay - but now it will run on modern hardware
and you won't need to know what the hell CONFIG.SYS does.
Example: pretty much anything put out by NightDive studios

B) Re-Master: Take a classic game - probably one you love
- and give it a good polish. Upscale - or redo! - all
its textures, maybe give it an entirely new engine; it's
still recognizably 'that old game' but it has a lot of
modern quality-of-life enhancements (like mouselook!)
that take away a lot of the pain of playing an older title.
Example: System Shock (2023)

C) Re-Boot: Same IP, same core ideas, but (probably) a
new story, definitely a new engine, and new mechanics
too. Accessible both to fans of the original and -
hopefully - newcomers too.
Example: Tomb Raider (2013)

D) Re-Release: The original game, as it came out. It
was great when it released and it doesn't need any
enhancements, damn it, not even a DOSBox port! That
$150 million is probably all going to marketing, but
- by hook or by crook - you're going to convince
people of that game's awesomeness!
Example: has this ever been done?!?

E) Formula: Basically, you give the money to Ubisoft.
Take an existing game, give it a new skin, a new hero,
and a new map, and call it a day.
Example: Far Cry 4

F) New But Old: The safe option; take a popular genre,
and make a similar game. Maybe it's a survival game,
maybe it's an FPS, maybe it's a hidden-object puzzle
game. It doesn't matter. Sure, you aren't creating
new mechanics or innovative stories, but the end
result will be fun and the sort of thing people
enjoy playing.
Example: Star Wars The Old Republic MMORPG

G) New But New: A completely new IP and revolutionary
mechanics. The end result may be completely genre-
busting and industry shaking... or it could be a
flawed masterpiece; there's no telling. It may be the
game you can never put down because it's that good,
or the game you admire but can't play because its
developers exceeded their own ability. But nobody
will confuse your game with any other... at least
not until the clones start coming out.
Example: Wolfenstein 3D... or E.T for Atari2600

H) Just For You: It's going to be exactly the sort of
game /you/ like. It probably won't be very popular,
it likely won't shake up the industry. If its novel
in any way, its original ideas won't be copied. But
it's the sort of game you - and maybe a few thousand
others - can easily play for thousands of hours.
Example: EuroTruck Simulator 2

H) Just Uwe Boll It: Fuck it, with $150 million at
stake, are you really gonna waste it on a /video game/?
Develop the game for $10 million (it's not going to
be very good, and it won't at all be memorable), then
cook the books so you and your cronies can pocket
the change. Sure, you'll have to endure 500 hours of
terrible gameplay, maybe spend some time in court,
and be a laughing stock of the industry, but all
those millions of dollars sure will help you sleep
well at night!
Example: I dunno, Star Citizen, maybe*?

Remember, your game is still going to be of reasonable quality and
won't be a flop, whatever you decide. Your choice, however, may impact
on how the game is remembered. Also, you're going to have to spend a
lot of your time with your masterpiece, so you'll probably want
something that won't make you grind your teeth.

Pick wisely.

----------------------------------

Is this a weird CRAP Poll or what? And is anyone even going to read
this far? I have no idea. This one is pretty long. Sometimes my ideas
get a bit out of hand...

Anyway, as much as I would like to say I'd pick option G (new but new)
I think I'd probably pick F (new but old, the safe option). I guess
that makes me a bit of a hypocrite because I am constantly harping on
how the industry never takes chances, and yet here I am following the
same course. But in the end, I'm going to have to play this game for a
long time, and I'd much rather spend that time in a Skyrim rather than
a new genre that doesn't necessarily appeal to me. I guess I'm just
selfish.

I had fun writing this one. Hopefully it will spark some discussion.
We'll see, I guess.

Until next time!

* allegedly, I say for legal purposes.

Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!

<oi61uilft27r2mpcn7nnjr9o50sas6fd9m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417557&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417557

From: Mike_S@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:58:59 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 14:58 UTC

On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 22:02:22 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> B) Re-Master: Take a classic game - probably one you love
> - and give it a good polish. Upscale - or redo! - all
> its textures, maybe give it an entirely new engine; it's
> still recognizably 'that old game' but it has a lot of
> modern quality-of-life enhancements (like mouselook!)
> that take away a lot of the pain of playing an older title.
> Example: System Shock (2023)

This one for me. My example would be the Bard's Tale Trilogy remaster
but I suppose System Shock 2023 works too.

I like remasters just fine. I do not care about innovation at all. I
want to make something I care about. I want to make something that
others who like the same games as me to like and care about it. For
me, that means OLD games with upscaled graphics and modern controls.
That would make me happy. And if it makes the people who buy it happy,
then I succeeded.

Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!

<urq85h$lvgf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417558&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417558

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 07:34:08 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:34 UTC

On 2/28/2024 7:02 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> [So, this Completely Random and Pointless Poll is going to be slightly
> different. Come with me for a voyage into the realm of fantasy:]
>

> H) Just For You: It's going to be exactly the sort of
> game /you/ like. It probably won't be very popular,
> it likely won't shake up the industry. If its novel
> in any way, its original ideas won't be copied. But
> it's the sort of game you - and maybe a few thousand
> others - can easily play for thousands of hours.
> Example: EuroTruck Simulator 2
>
> H) Just Uwe Boll It: Fuck it, with $150 million at
> stake, are you really gonna waste it on a /video game/?
> Develop the game for $10 million (it's not going to
> be very good, and it won't at all be memorable), then
> cook the books so you and your cronies can pocket
> the change. Sure, you'll have to endure 500 hours of
> terrible gameplay, maybe spend some time in court,
> and be a laughing stock of the industry, but all
> those millions of dollars sure will help you sleep
> well at night!
> Example: I dunno, Star Citizen, maybe*?

I'll take both H's and have them remake Dungeon Robber in Javascript so
it can run on anything. Throw in some of my own ideas how to improve
it. $10m should make a pretty damn good version of that.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!

<urq87b$m43e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417560&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417560

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:35:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:35 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote at 03:02 this Thursday (GMT):

> [...]
> cook the books so you and your cronies can pocket
> the change. Sure, you'll have to endure 500 hours of
> terrible gameplay, maybe spend some time in court,
> and be a laughing stock of the industry, but all
> those millions of dollars sure will help you sleep
> well at night!
> Example: I dunno, Star Citizen, maybe*?
>

> Remember, your game is still going to be of reasonable quality and
> won't be a flop, whatever you decide. Your choice, however, may impact
> on how the game is remembered. Also, you're going to have to spend a
> lot of your time with your masterpiece, so you'll probably want
> something that won't make you grind your teeth.
>
> Pick wisely.
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> Is this a weird CRAP Poll or what? And is anyone even going to read
> this far? I have no idea. This one is pretty long. Sometimes my ideas

It is pretty weird.

> Anyway, as much as I would like to say I'd pick option G (new but new)
> I think I'd probably pick F (new but old, the safe option). I guess
> that makes me a bit of a hypocrite because I am constantly harping on
> how the industry never takes chances, and yet here I am following the
> same course. But in the end, I'm going to have to play this game for a
> long time, and I'd much rather spend that time in a Skyrim rather than
> a new genre that doesn't necessarily appeal to me. I guess I'm just
> selfish.
>

> I had fun writing this one. Hopefully it will spark some discussion.
> We'll see, I guess.
>
> Until next time!
>

> * allegedly, I say for legal purposes.

I'd say new-but-old? Granted, the number of paper mario-like indies that
have come out recently might be influencing that :)

Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!

<urqcmb$murc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417567&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417567

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:51:24 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:51 UTC

> [...]
>
> Pick wisely.
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> Is this a weird CRAP Poll or what? And is anyone even going to read
> this far? I have no idea. This one is pretty long. Sometimes my ideas
> get a bit out of hand...
>
> Anyway, as much as I would like to say I'd pick option G (new but new)
> I think I'd probably pick F (new but old, the safe option). I guess
> that makes me a bit of a hypocrite because I am constantly harping on
> how the industry never takes chances, and yet here I am following the
> same course. But in the end, I'm going to have to play this game for a
> long time, and I'd much rather spend that time in a Skyrim rather than
> a new genre that doesn't necessarily appeal to me. I guess I'm just
> selfish.
>

> I had fun writing this one. Hopefully it will spark some discussion.

This is not my selection, just an observation. Option D is never go to
happen in the real world. Period. People working at that level don't
get hired if they aren't the kind of people who feel the need to piddle
on the product like a dog marking its territory. If they aren't
"improving" whatever it is then they can't claim credit for its success.
Just re-releasing, unaltered, an existing game doesn't boost their
profile and resume, so they won't let it happen.

This kind of behavior is more noticeable in the TV & Movie industry but
its there in all billion dollar plus industries.

dirty old man.

Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!

<urqe2s$ncjs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417569&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417569

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:15:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:15 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote at 16:51 this Thursday (GMT):
> [...]
>> a new genre that doesn't necessarily appeal to me. I guess I'm just
>> selfish.
>>

>> I had fun writing this one. Hopefully it will spark some discussion.
>> We'll see, I guess.
>>
>> Until next time!
>>
> This is not my selection, just an observation. Option D is never go to
> happen in the real world. Period. People working at that level don't
> get hired if they aren't the kind of people who feel the need to piddle
> on the product like a dog marking its territory. If they aren't
> "improving" whatever it is then they can't claim credit for its success.
> Just re-releasing, unaltered, an existing game doesn't boost their
> profile and resume, so they won't let it happen.
>
> This kind of behavior is more noticeable in the TV & Movie industry but
> its there in all billion dollar plus industries.

Nintendo *technically* does that with its Virtual Console and NSO stuff.
Not that they don't have loads of issues too.

Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!

<urqiqv$occ9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417571&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417571

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:36:14 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:36 UTC

On 2/29/2024 8:51 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 2/28/2024 7:02 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>

>>      D) Re-Release: The original game, as it came out. It
>>         was great when it released and it doesn't need any
>>         enhancements, damn it, not even a DOSBox port! That
>>         $150 million is probably all going to marketing, but
>>         - by hook or by crook - you're going to convince
>>         people of that game's awesomeness!
>>      Example: has this ever been done?!?

>> Until next time!
>>
> This is not my selection, just an observation.  Option D is never go to
> happen in the real world.  Period.  People working at that level don't
> get hired if they aren't the kind of people who feel the need to piddle
> on the product like a dog marking its territory.  If they aren't
> "improving" whatever it is then they can't claim credit for its success.
>  Just re-releasing, unaltered, an existing game doesn't boost their
> profile and resume, so they won't let it happen.
>
> This kind of behavior is more noticeable in the TV & Movie industry but
> its there in all billion dollar plus industries.

Bethesda just did this again with Fallouts 1-3. Though they made a
special box to put the codes in.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!

<urqnko$pcq2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417579&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417579

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:58:18 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 19:58 UTC

On 2/29/2024 10:36 AM, Justisaur wrote:
> On 2/29/2024 8:51 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 2/28/2024 7:02 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>>

>>>      D) Re-Release: The original game, as it came out. It
>>>         was great when it released and it doesn't need any
>>>         enhancements, damn it, not even a DOSBox port! That
>>>         $150 million is probably all going to marketing, but
>>>         - by hook or by crook - you're going to convince
>>>         people of that game's awesomeness!
>>>      Example: has this ever been done?!?
>

>>> Until next time!
>>>
>> This is not my selection, just an observation.  Option D is never go
>> to happen in the real world.  Period.  People working at that level
>> don't get hired if they aren't the kind of people who feel the need to
>> piddle on the product like a dog marking its territory.  If they
>> aren't "improving" whatever it is then they can't claim credit for its
>> success.   Just re-releasing, unaltered, an existing game doesn't
>> boost their profile and resume, so they won't let it happen.
>>
>> This kind of behavior is more noticeable in the TV & Movie industry
>> but its there in all billion dollar plus industries.
>>

> Bethesda just did this again with Fallouts 1-3.  Though they made a
> special box to put the codes in.

And if you sniff that special box you will detect the faint virtual odor
of dog piss. ;)

dirty old man.

Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!

<kdn3ui9g6tp6la5gkru5els3j4d8idqit6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417592&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417592

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 07:53:30 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 13:53 UTC

On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 22:02:22 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>[So, this Completely Random and Pointless Poll is going to be slightly
>different. Come with me for a voyage into the realm of fantasy:]
>

>Congratulations! You've been hired, at a very premium salary, by a
>software publisher for a very high-level position. They are going to
>release a new game with a budget of $150 million dollars, and - all
>you need to do to earn your salary - is decide what kind of game
>you're going to make! But there are some rules to this fantasy:

Screw your options.

Phone game with tons of MTXs. Similar to Uwe Boll.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: CRAP Poll: Jackpot!

<jmq3uitdpndl05h8hr9lcsl1dicbhrf5ls@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417596&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417596

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 09:50:20 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:50 UTC

On Fri, 01 Mar 2024 07:53:30 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 22:02:22 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>Screw your options.

You win the poll.

I didn't know you could actually do that, but you managed it.

(More seriously, the options in CRAP Polls are always just
recommendations for the lazy. Always take the unmentioned third path,
even if you have to hack your way through the shrubbery to get there
;-)