We don't really understand it, so we'll give it to the programmers.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Borderlands movie

SubjectAuthor
* Borderlands moviekyonshi
+* Re: Borderlands movieXocyll
|+* Re: Borderlands moviecandycanearter07
||`* Re: Borderlands movieXocyll
|| `* Re: Borderlands movieSpalls Hurgenson
||  `- Re: Borderlands movieXocyll
|`* Re: Borderlands movieJustisaur
| +* Re: Borderlands movieDimensional Traveler
| |+* Re: Borderlands moviecandycanearter07
| ||`* Re: Borderlands movieJustisaur
| || +- Re: Borderlands moviecandycanearter07
| || `- Re: Borderlands movieDimensional Traveler
| |`* Re: Borderlands movieAnssi Saari
| | `* Re: Borderlands movieDimensional Traveler
| |  `* Re: Borderlands movieAnssi Saari
| |   `- Re: Borderlands movieXocyll
| `- Re: Borderlands movieXocyll
+* Re: Borderlands movieAnssi Saari
|`- Re: Borderlands movieZaghadka
+- Re: Borderlands movieAnt
+* Re: Borderlands movieSpalls Hurgenson
|`* Re: Borderlands movieXocyll
| `* Re: Borderlands movieZaghadka
|  `* Re: Borderlands movieMike S.
|   `- Re: Borderlands moviecandycanearter07
`* Re: Borderlands movieZaghadka
 `* Re: Borderlands movieZaghadka
  `* Re: Borderlands movieRoss Ridge
   `- Re: Borderlands movieZaghadka

Pages:12
Borderlands movie

<urk8p5$3457l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417496&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417496

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Borderlands movie
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:07:53 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 09:07 UTC

Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/

Re: Borderlands movie

<l9frti56re5nsn0m85sbpn04cbcbsq1qga@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417499&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417499

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Borderlands movie
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 05:46:03 -0500
 by: Xocyll - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:46 UTC

kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
>Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
>I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
>what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ
>
>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/

So Uwe Boll is back?

....but they killed the Tax Credit for making shite movie versions of
video games.

Xocyll

Re: Borderlands movie

<sm07ciqjh2v.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417500&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417500

From: anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:13:12 +0200
sha1:qvt9fjUWxHiPZGh6xlYET3m7iLE=
 by: Anssi Saari - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:13 UTC

kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> writes:

> Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
> Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
> I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
> what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by
> now.

I'm not that hopeful and the trailer didn't look like much but I think
I'll probably check it out.

Re: Borderlands movie

<urkrup$38grr$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417502&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417502

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:35:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:35 UTC

On 2024-02-27, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
> kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
> porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
>>Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
>>I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
>>what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ
>>
>>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/
>
> So Uwe Boll is back?
>
> ...but they killed the Tax Credit for making shite movie versions of
> video games.
>
> Xocyll

Oh, isn't that the guy who made the Postal movie?

Re: Borderlands movie

<url0gg$39e3k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417505&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417505

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 07:52:48 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 15:52 UTC

On 2/27/2024 2:46 AM, Xocyll wrote:
> kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
> porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>> Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
>> Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
>> I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
>> what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ
>>
>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/
>
> So Uwe Boll is back?
>
> ...but they killed the Tax Credit for making shite movie versions of
> video games.
>
> Xocyll

It's Eli Roth writing/directing, but looking at his directorial resume,
I don't see anything warranting much more hope than Uwe Boll. More
hope, yes, but not much more. It can't possibly be Uwe Boll bad can it?

The movie looks horrible. I usually like Jack Black, but the Claptrap
(who he voices) scenes are horrendous. Kate Blanchett looks to be
miscast, and unfortunately looks like the best thing about the movie.

I may watch it when it comes to streaming if if shows up on one of the
channels I get, probably not though.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Borderlands movie

<osCcncpa7-jXmEP4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417506&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417506

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 15:52:42 +0000
 by: Ant - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 15:52 UTC

I still haven't played Borderland games. I wonder how different the movie will be.

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

> Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
> Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
> I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
> what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ

> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/

--
"Daniel replied, 'No wise man, enchanter, magician or diviner can explain to the king the mystery he has asked about, but there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries.'" ???Daniel 2:27-28. Still quiet & pls hurry up, Washington!
| |o o| |

Re: Borderlands movie

<uj2stilj9ae2cqssn8hnmnbh1s46iidkc3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417507&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417507

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:26:14 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 16:26 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:07:53 +0100, kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

>Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
>Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
>I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
>what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ
>
>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/

Ehn.

I have played the games (and don't really care for them; they're fine,
but not to my taste), but I don't have much faith in this show.

Not the trailers doesn't look interesting. I can see what the
producers are going for; a sort of cross between "Guardians of the
Galaxy" and "Suicide Squad", with a dash of "Kingsmen" for color and a
squirt of "Mad Max" for setting. The rogues-as-heroes genre is always
a popular genre, after all.

But whether the IP has the popularity to carry the movie seems very...
iffy to me. The style this movie is aping is getting a bit long in the
tooth (it was novel with "Guardians of the Galaxy") and the crude
humor (which featured so heavily in the "Suicide Squad" movies) never
really captured that big of an audience. And there's only so far you
can drag out the "hahaha all the heroes are assholes to one another"
cliche before it becomes tired and old hat.

If the movie were associated with a better-known IP, it /might/ have a
better chance of drawing out the fad... but its using a license only a
tiny percentage of people have ever heard of or cares about.

Still... it COULD work. Thank god they decided to go with a movie
instead of making it a TV series. The genre is endurable for two
hours, but stretched out over ten hours would be painful.

Still, if I were to go and see it, though, it would be based on the
appeal of the movie and not because it's "Borderlands". Honestly, I
think the producers would have been better off just making their own
thing (that just happened to be weirdly similar to the games) and not
actually paying for the license. Because I don't think that franchise
has quite the draw they're hoping for.

Re: Borderlands movie

<url5uq$3amuh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417508&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417508

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 09:25:48 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:25 UTC

On 2/27/2024 7:52 AM, Justisaur wrote:
> On 2/27/2024 2:46 AM, Xocyll wrote:
>> kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
>> porn spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>
>>> Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
>>> Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
>>> I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
>>> what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ
>>>
>>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/
>>
>> So Uwe Boll is back?
>>
>> ...but they killed the Tax Credit for making shite movie versions of
>> video games.
>>
>> Xocyll
>
> It's Eli Roth writing/directing, but looking at his directorial resume,
> I don't see anything warranting much more hope than Uwe Boll.  More
> hope, yes, but not much more.  It can't possibly be Uwe Boll bad can it?

Eli Roth is a horror film maker. I've never played Borderlands so I
have no idea how much "horror" it is.

dirty old man.

Re: Borderlands movie

<url88j$3b8sg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417509&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417509

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:05:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:05 UTC

On 2024-02-27, Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 2/27/2024 7:52 AM, Justisaur wrote:
>> On 2/27/2024 2:46 AM, Xocyll wrote:
>>> kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
>>> porn spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>>> So Uwe Boll is back?
>>>
>>> ...but they killed the Tax Credit for making shite movie versions of
>>> video games.
>>>
>>> Xocyll
>>
>> It's Eli Roth writing/directing, but looking at his directorial resume,
>> I don't see anything warranting much more hope than Uwe Boll.  More
>> hope, yes, but not much more.  It can't possibly be Uwe Boll bad can it?
>>
> Eli Roth is a horror film maker. I've never played Borderlands so I
> have no idea how much "horror" it is.

The real horror will be the quality! /probably/

Re: Borderlands movie

<urlafv$3bq48$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417514&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417514

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:43:08 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:43 UTC

On 2/27/2024 10:05 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 2024-02-27, Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> It's Eli Roth writing/directing, but looking at his directorial resume,
>>> I don't see anything warranting much more hope than Uwe Boll.  More
>>> hope, yes, but not much more.  It can't possibly be Uwe Boll bad can it?
>>>
>> Eli Roth is a horror film maker. I've never played Borderlands so I
>> have no idea how much "horror" it is.

Not much. It's Mad Max, with over the top powers and guns mixed with
D&D. Probably the closest horror would be The Hills Have Eyes.

> The real horror will be the quality! /probably/

I think that's a given based on the trailer and reactions I've seen
elsewhere. I seriously doubt it will get a theatrical release, and even
if it does, probably won't make it past the first weekend.

The budget is 100 Million, which seems insanely high given the narrow
appeal and 'director's' previous movies. All I can think is Lionsgate
needs a tax write off (Shades of Boll.)

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Borderlands movie

<urlf08$3cqa8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417515&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417515

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:00:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:00 UTC

On 2024-02-27, Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2/27/2024 10:05 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:

>>> Eli Roth is a horror film maker. I've never played Borderlands so I
>>> have no idea how much "horror" it is.
>
> Not much. It's Mad Max, with over the top powers and guns mixed with
> D&D. Probably the closest horror would be The Hills Have Eyes.
>

>> The real horror will be the quality! /probably/
>
> I think that's a given based on the trailer and reactions I've seen
> elsewhere. I seriously doubt it will get a theatrical release, and even
> if it does, probably won't make it past the first weekend.
>
> The budget is 100 Million, which seems insanely high given the narrow
> appeal and 'director's' previous movies. All I can think is Lionsgate
> needs a tax write off (Shades of Boll.)

100M? That's ridiculously high.

Re: Borderlands movie

<urlfer$3crj4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417518&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417518

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:07:57 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:07 UTC

On 2/27/2024 10:43 AM, Justisaur wrote:
> On 2/27/2024 10:05 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:

>>> Eli Roth is a horror film maker.  I've never played Borderlands so I
>>> have no idea how much "horror" it is.
>
> Not much.  It's Mad Max, with over the top powers and guns mixed with
> D&D.  Probably the closest horror would be The Hills Have Eyes.
>

>> The real horror will be the quality! /probably/
>
> I think that's a given based on the trailer and reactions I've seen
> elsewhere.  I seriously doubt it will get a theatrical release, and even
> if it does, probably won't make it past the first weekend.
>
> The budget is 100 Million, which seems insanely high given the narrow
> appeal and 'director's' previous movies. All I can think is Lionsgate
> needs a tax write off (Shades of Boll.)

Oh, it will get a release. Its already scheduled for August 9. And the
Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX https://www.hsx.com/security/view/BRDLN)
has it earning over $70 million in box office over ~ four weeks.

dirty old man.

Re: Borderlands movie

<79ssti5227uottrqrhfblkc2t0prl2kiko@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417522&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417522

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:40:32 -0500
 by: Xocyll - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 23:40 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:07:53 +0100, kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
>>Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
>>I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
>>what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ
>>
>>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/
>
>Ehn.
>
>I have played the games (and don't really care for them; they're fine,
>but not to my taste), but I don't have much faith in this show.
>
>Not the trailers doesn't look interesting. I can see what the
>producers are going for; a sort of cross between "Guardians of the
>Galaxy" and "Suicide Squad", with a dash of "Kingsmen" for color and a
>squirt of "Mad Max" for setting. The rogues-as-heroes genre is always
>a popular genre, after all.

So, um, "Mad Guardians of the Suicide Kingsmen"?

Never actually heard of kingsmen so no idea what's involved in that.

>But whether the IP has the popularity to carry the movie seems very...
>iffy to me. The style this movie is aping is getting a bit long in the
>tooth (it was novel with "Guardians of the Galaxy") and the crude
>humor (which featured so heavily in the "Suicide Squad" movies) never
>really captured that big of an audience. And there's only so far you
>can drag out the "hahaha all the heroes are assholes to one another"
>cliche before it becomes tired and old hat.

>If the movie were associated with a better-known IP, it /might/ have a
>better chance of drawing out the fad... but its using a license only a
>tiny percentage of people have ever heard of or cares about.
>
>Still... it COULD work. Thank god they decided to go with a movie
>instead of making it a TV series. The genre is endurable for two
>hours, but stretched out over ten hours would be painful.
>
>Still, if I were to go and see it, though, it would be based on the
>appeal of the movie and not because it's "Borderlands". Honestly, I
>think the producers would have been better off just making their own
>thing (that just happened to be weirdly similar to the games) and not
>actually paying for the license. Because I don't think that franchise
>has quite the draw they're hoping for.

The biggest problem I think is that Borderlands shat itself.

Borderlands was good, BL2 and all the rest were shit, instead of the
protagonist being a greedy self centered treasure hunter, suddenly you'd
morphed into a superhero here to save everyone, for no fucking reason
whatsoever.

Why the fuck did "Vault Hunter" change from treasure hunter to
Paladin-Superhero? while the villains go from actual semi realistic
ones to the megatard who names a pony "butt stallion"?

Who the fuck believes that retard could take over an interstellar
corporation?

Making a movie of that shit, doomed to failure.

They must have found some more tax-write-off shit to take advantage of.

They might as well have called it "The Producers" it's so transparently
a cash grab.

Xocyll

Re: Borderlands movie

<bosstit4o1dgaj4c1r5s3qa28kbq4hqvar@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417523&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417523

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:41:40 -0500
 by: Xocyll - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 23:41 UTC

candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
looked up from reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The
Augury is good, the signs say:

>On 2024-02-27, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
>> kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
>> porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>
>>>Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
>>>Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
>>>I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
>>>what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.
>>>
>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ
>>>
>>>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/
>>
>> So Uwe Boll is back?
>>
>> ...but they killed the Tax Credit for making shite movie versions of
>> video games.
>>
>> Xocyll
>
>Oh, isn't that the guy who made the Postal movie?

I have not seen all of his movies.
I know he did a house of the dead movie, a dungeon siege movie and a
bloodrayne movie.

Xocyll

Re: Borderlands movie

<aqsstihvsh1d6dc1b7qketd3d8vvc127qe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417524&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417524

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:46:41 -0500
 by: Xocyll - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 23:46 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>On 2/27/2024 2:46 AM, Xocyll wrote:
>> kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
>> porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>
>>> Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
>>> Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
>>> I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
>>> what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ
>>>
>>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/
>>
>> So Uwe Boll is back?
>>
>> ...but they killed the Tax Credit for making shite movie versions of
>> video games.
>>
>> Xocyll
>
>It's Eli Roth writing/directing, but looking at his directorial resume,
>I don't see anything warranting much more hope than Uwe Boll. More
>hope, yes, but not much more. It can't possibly be Uwe Boll bad can it?

Uwe Boll is not the only shit director in the universe, he's just the
one who never even accidentally made something watchable.

>The movie looks horrible. I usually like Jack Black, but the Claptrap
>(who he voices) scenes are horrendous. Kate Blanchett looks to be
>miscast, and unfortunately looks like the best thing about the movie.

Always hated the cl4ptr4p character in the games; no matter who they
chose to voice it it would be bad.

>I may watch it when it comes to streaming if if shows up on one of the
>channels I get, probably not though.

Some slow Sunday night, when there's fuck all else on, you'll watch it,
you know you will.

I won't, but then I have neither cable TV nor any streaming service.

If it ain't on physical media, or a file I can download to a USB stick,
I will not be watching it.

Sure as hell I won't buy that, and it's not likely I'd download it for
free either since I found everything after Borderlands1 very
disappointing.

Xocyll

Re: Borderlands movie

<m4gutit4rbjqdhc1krjeuqgkl5gtmr6tps@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417528&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417528

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:31:04 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 14:31 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:41:40 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:

>candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
>looked up from reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The
>Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>On 2024-02-27, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
>>> kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
>>> porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>>> So Uwe Boll is back?
>>>
>>> ...but they killed the Tax Credit for making shite movie versions of
>>> video games.
>>>
>>> Xocyll
>>
>>Oh, isn't that the guy who made the Postal movie?
>
>I have not seen all of his movies.
>I know he did a house of the dead movie, a dungeon siege movie and a
>bloodrayne movie.

Are Uwe Boll movies that bad?

The first of his movies I saw was - unwittingly - "Dungeon Siege". I
picked it up, all innocent and unknowing, wondering how they made a
movie from a game so light on plot and setting. (Mostly by inventing
stuff whole cloth). It was not well acted, filmed, written, or
directed. At the end, I noticed the name "Uwe Boll", who already by
then had gotten himself something of a reputation. "Ah," I said. "That
explains much."

But being a sucker for punishment, I then went out and looked for more
of his movies. "Dungeon Siege" was bad, but not in the
'so-bad-its-good way', or the 'they didn't give me anywhere near the
money needed to film this' or even the 'I'm an inexperienced director
who is trying his best' way. It was just... 'I don't care' bad. Were
the rest of his movies the same?

I didn't watch all his movies, but the few I did see? "Far Cry",
"Blood Rayne" and "Alone in the Dark" all exhibited that same lack of
care and respect... both for the source material and the viewers of
the movie. They were sloppily filmed and cut, with no emotion to any
of the scenes. The movies were a struggle to watch, because at no
point was there any sense of fun or excitement (important for the sort
of action-based movies Boll was filming), and - due to the awful
writing and cinematography - no attachment to the characters.

I was going to see "Postal" but I couldn't do that to myself.

Are Uwe Boll movies that bad? Fuck yes they are.

Fortunately, as far as I can tell, Boll has nothing to do with the
"Borderlands" movie. So "Borderlands" may not end up being a very good
movie, nonetheless I'd wager real money it will still be a hell of a
lot better than any thing Boll has ever shit out.

Re: Borderlands movie

<o2luti9b8rvvtl6gec3kg3pmoqaqhngmtt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417531&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417531

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:42:29 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 15:42 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:07:53 +0100, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
kyonshi wrote:

>Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
>Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
>I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
>what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ
>
>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/

I see Kevin Hart, not Jack Black. Much better choice.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Borderlands movie

<u4lutihto3maspt0qqao6ods82pi2sel9r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417532&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417532

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:43:49 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 15:43 UTC

On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:42:29 -0600, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Zaghadka wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:07:53 +0100, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>kyonshi wrote:
>
>>Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
>>Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
>>I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
>>what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by now.
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ
>>
>>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4978420/
>
>I see Kevin Hart, not Jack Black. Much better choice.

Oh, okay. Black is doing voiceover work. Much better choice as well.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Borderlands movie

<2rlutiljma16s46qdrabjji10rpjn5vr4o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417533&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417533

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:56:32 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 15:56 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:13:12 +0200, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Anssi Saari wrote:

>kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Found out today there's a Borderlands movie coming up, starring Cate
>> Blanchett, Jack Black, and Jamie Lee Curtis of all people.
>> I actually haven't played the series at all, but I find it interesting
>> what sort of cast they managed to get for a video game adaption by
>> now.
>
>I'm not that hopeful and the trailer didn't look like much but I think
>I'll probably check it out.

Honestly, anything with Kevin Hart in it I'm down for, looks like a
popcorn muncher, might surprise us, and, if not, looks like the sort of
movie that will fall into the "So bad it's good" grief watch that I
enjoy.

I'm going with some friends. For sure.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Borderlands movie

<nvlutitnqrrmd8lvfhlvcv3st4j8m3h5u3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417534&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417534

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:59:42 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 15:59 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:40:32 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Xocyll wrote:

>The biggest problem I think is that Borderlands shat itself.
>
>Borderlands was good, BL2 and all the rest were shit, instead of the
>protagonist being a greedy self centered treasure hunter, suddenly you'd
>morphed into a superhero here to save everyone, for no fucking reason
>whatsoever.
>
>Why the fuck did "Vault Hunter" change from treasure hunter to
>Paladin-Superhero? while the villains go from actual semi realistic
>ones to the megatard who names a pony "butt stallion"?
>
>Who the fuck believes that retard could take over an interstellar
>corporation?

So wait... you played Borderlands games for the story and the character
development?

I think you missed the point entirely. BL2 was a blast in co-op even
after though screwed up the drops.

Yeah, Handsome Jack might get on your nerves. I get that. Luckily, he's
only a small part of the game.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Borderlands movie

<k91vti59ldmuhs6anmcdqgbuifjuelr56m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417540&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417540

From: Mike_S@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 14:12:42 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 19:12 UTC

On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:59:42 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>So wait... you played Borderlands games for the story and the character
>development?

I don't think I have ever played any video game for the story or
character development. But certainly not Borderlands.

Re: Borderlands movie

<uro3c9$295o$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417547&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417547

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:00:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:00 UTC

Mike S <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote at 19:12 this Wednesday (GMT):
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:59:42 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>So wait... you played Borderlands games for the story and the character
>>development?
>
> I don't think I have ever played any video game for the story or
> character development. But certainly not Borderlands.

I've played a few, Phoenix Wright and Hypnospace Outlaw come to mind.

Re: Borderlands movie

<urqss2$qgni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417583&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417583

From: rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:27:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ross Ridge - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:27 UTC

Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Oh, okay. Black is doing voiceover work. Much better choice as well.

Jack Black as Claptrap is the only casting choice I disagree with.
I don't have anything against Black, but I'd have much prefered they
just use same voice actor from the games.

Not that it really matters. I'm not a big fan of movies anyways so will
probably never bother watching it. At worst I'll just have to put up
with some ads on TV with a weird sounding Claptrap.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Re: Borderlands movie

<bb12uidum1b48cfvs7r5lftn845pne4vt0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417585&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417585

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:30:09 -0500
 by: Xocyll - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:30 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:41:40 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>>candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
>>looked up from reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The
>>Augury is good, the signs say:

>>>Oh, isn't that the guy who made the Postal movie?
>>
>>I have not seen all of his movies.
>>I know he did a house of the dead movie, a dungeon siege movie and a
>>bloodrayne movie.
>
>Are Uwe Boll movies that bad?
>
>The first of his movies I saw was - unwittingly - "Dungeon Siege". I
>picked it up, all innocent and unknowing, wondering how they made a
>movie from a game so light on plot and setting. (Mostly by inventing
>stuff whole cloth). It was not well acted, filmed, written, or
>directed. At the end, I noticed the name "Uwe Boll", who already by
>then had gotten himself something of a reputation. "Ah," I said. "That
>explains much."

Name of the King,"starring" Jason Stathem.

>But being a sucker for punishment, I then went out and looked for more
>of his movies. "Dungeon Siege" was bad, but not in the
>'so-bad-its-good way', or the 'they didn't give me anywhere near the
>money needed to film this' or even the 'I'm an inexperienced director
>who is trying his best' way. It was just... 'I don't care' bad. Were
>the rest of his movies the same?

Not seen them all but the ones I have were pretty bad.

There was a massive tax credit for movie makers in Germany, and Uwe
Boll's movie were basically made to take advantage of them and no other
reason.

Apparently at the time Germany had an interesting incentive for
investment in the movie industry. Pay no tax on investments.

IE you invest 1 million in Uwe's film, it makes money (brand and name
recognition and other factors pretty much guarantee it), you get your
million back, only now it's a tax exempt million.

Looked it up, right now over 277,826 EUR you pay 45% income tax rate in
Germany

So invest in a Boll movie and save that 45% on every bit invested and
returned - that's $450,000 on every million they no longer lost.

Uwe pretty much single handedly got this Tax loophole closed with his
prolific output of made-for-tax-reasons movies.

Another source said, like in the Producers, it was intended to fail.
If the movie didn't make money, their investment was written off their
taxes at 100%, rather than capped off at a certain amount like in most
countries.

So they could "invest" their way into the next tax bracket down and save
money overall.

Xocyll

Re: Borderlands movie

<sm0a5niichc.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417590&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417590

From: anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 10:26:55 +0200
sha1:fWpHOa0YAwsKtkFm+3hqq+aFxcw=
 by: Anssi Saari - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:26 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> writes:

> Eli Roth is a horror film maker. I've never played Borderlands so I
> have no idea how much "horror" it is.

Not really horror at all, it's what they call a looter shooter. So,
shoot a lot of enemies, collect loot, rinse and repeat. What plot there
is pretty much went down the toilet in the second game already. Well,
unless you feel bad writing is horror in itself. In fact, Borderlands 3
has a somewhat horror flavored theme in the Guns, Love, and Tentacles
DLC.

I don't think I've seen any Uwe Boll movies. But the "movie based on
game" formula has been something like "take some things from the game,
add some weird stuff that alienates people who like the game." End
result, an unpopular movie.