Mediocrity finds safety in standardization. -- Frederick Crane

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

SubjectAuthor
* Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
+* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Xocyll
|`* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
| `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Xocyll
|  +- Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
|  `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Zaghadka
|   `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
|    `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Dimensional Traveler
|     `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Xocyll
|      `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Dimensional Traveler
|       +* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
|       |`* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Dimensional Traveler
|       | `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Xocyll
|       |  `- Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
|       +* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Zaghadka
|       |`* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
|       | `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Dimensional Traveler
|       |  `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
|       |   `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Spalls Hurgenson
|       |    `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
|       |     `- Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Dimensional Traveler
|       `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Xocyll
|        `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Dimensional Traveler
|         `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Xocyll
|          `- Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Zaghadka
|+* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Spalls Hurgenson
||+- Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
||`- Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Zaghadka
|`* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Dimensional Traveler
| +- Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
| `* Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Zaghadka
|  +- Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Dimensional Traveler
|  `- Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...candycanearter07
`- Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...Spalls Hurgenson

Pages:12
Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<j1cktitmgnok1r84mtptv247ccgic43qu2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417470&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417470

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 13:22:03 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:22 UTC

So, for a while I've been having this odd problem with my new
computer. Every time I tried to comrpess a file to ZIP with 7Zip, the
archive ended up being corrupt. It only happened with the 7Zip
program, and only with ZIP files (compressing to .7z files, for
instance, worked perfectly). The 7Zip project maintainers were
similarly mystified, and none of their suggestions worked. Was it
hardware failure? Some software incompatibility getting in the way?
Were the stars misaligned? Ohmigod, was it Evul H4x0rZ trying to break
into my file-server to grab all my pictures of cute kitty-cats!?!??

No, turns out it's Intel and their usual quality products.

First announced by RAD Game Tools* (remember them? They used to make
the BINK and SMK video file format used by so many video games!), the
problem mostly affects 13900K/14900K processors. Hey, that's what I
have in my machine! RAD reported it while troubleshooting crashes in
their "Oodle" decompression program, but - as noted "this problem does
not only affect Oodle, and machines that suffer from this instability
will also exhibit failures in standard benchmark and stress test
programs. Any programs which heavily use the processor on many threads
may cause crashes or unpredictable behavior." And, to be fair, it
isn't /entirely/ Intel's fault, since it's the motherboards that are
usually pushing the processor outside its safe operating range. Still,
the fact that replacing the CPU seems to solve the problem for many
indicates Intel isn't completely absolved.

(Fortunately, there are other options, including manually tuning the
system. RAD's bug-report offers a variety of solutions).

While the report specifically mentions how the bug affects
compression/decompression, it is also points out it is probably also
responsible for various other spurious bugs and crashes too. It's only
because that most programs error-test after compressing/decompressing
that it's more obvious there.

So, if you have one of these processors, it's probably worth the read.

Or just get yourself an AMD. ;-)

* Read the dirty details here:
https://www.radgametools.com/oodleintel.htm

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urde9e$1bbos$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417471&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417471

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:58:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:58 UTC

On 2024-02-24, Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, for a while I've been having this odd problem with my new
> computer. Every time I tried to comrpess a file to ZIP with 7Zip, the
> archive ended up being corrupt. It only happened with the 7Zip
> program, and only with ZIP files (compressing to .7z files, for
> instance, worked perfectly). The 7Zip project maintainers were
> similarly mystified, and none of their suggestions worked. Was it
> hardware failure? Some software incompatibility getting in the way?
> Were the stars misaligned? Ohmigod, was it Evul H4x0rZ trying to break
> into my file-server to grab all my pictures of cute kitty-cats!?!??
>
> No, turns out it's Intel and their usual quality products.
>
> First announced by RAD Game Tools* (remember them? They used to make
> the BINK and SMK video file format used by so many video games!), the
> problem mostly affects 13900K/14900K processors. Hey, that's what I
> have in my machine! RAD reported it while troubleshooting crashes in
> their "Oodle" decompression program, but - as noted "this problem does
> not only affect Oodle, and machines that suffer from this instability
> will also exhibit failures in standard benchmark and stress test
> programs. Any programs which heavily use the processor on many threads
> may cause crashes or unpredictable behavior." And, to be fair, it
> isn't /entirely/ Intel's fault, since it's the motherboards that are
> usually pushing the processor outside its safe operating range. Still,
> the fact that replacing the CPU seems to solve the problem for many
> indicates Intel isn't completely absolved.
>
> (Fortunately, there are other options, including manually tuning the
> system. RAD's bug-report offers a variety of solutions).
>
> While the report specifically mentions how the bug affects
> compression/decompression, it is also points out it is probably also
> responsible for various other spurious bugs and crashes too. It's only
> because that most programs error-test after compressing/decompressing
> that it's more obvious there.
>
> So, if you have one of these processors, it's probably worth the read.
>
> Or just get yourself an AMD. ;-)
>

> * Read the dirty details here:
> https://www.radgametools.com/oodleintel.htm

Well, that sucks.

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<aa9mtit41soipfe3bekl5u90fgkb42lan8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417477&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417477

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 06:33:30 -0500
 by: Xocyll - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 11:33 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>So, for a while I've been having this odd problem with my new
>computer. Every time I tried to comrpess a file to ZIP with 7Zip, the
>archive ended up being corrupt. It only happened with the 7Zip
>program, and only with ZIP files (compressing to .7z files, for
>instance, worked perfectly). The 7Zip project maintainers were
>similarly mystified, and none of their suggestions worked. Was it
>hardware failure? Some software incompatibility getting in the way?
>Were the stars misaligned? Ohmigod, was it Evul H4x0rZ trying to break
>into my file-server to grab all my pictures of cute kitty-cats!?!??
>
>No, turns out it's Intel and their usual quality products.

So F00F: The Next Generation?

Xocyll

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urfvge$20226$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417478&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417478

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:05:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:05 UTC

On 2024-02-25, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> say:
>
>>So, for a while I've been having this odd problem with my new
>>computer. Every time I tried to comrpess a file to ZIP with 7Zip, the
>>archive ended up being corrupt. It only happened with the 7Zip
>>program, and only with ZIP files (compressing to .7z files, for
>>instance, worked perfectly). The 7Zip project maintainers were
>>similarly mystified, and none of their suggestions worked. Was it
>>hardware failure? Some software incompatibility getting in the way?
>>Were the stars misaligned? Ohmigod, was it Evul H4x0rZ trying to break
>>into my file-server to grab all my pictures of cute kitty-cats!?!??
>>
>>No, turns out it's Intel and their usual quality products.
>
> So F00F: The Next Generation?
>
> Xocyll

What's F00F?

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<jlnntipblaj14t8da56v0aavtes3u1p3h2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417481&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417481

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:44:29 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 00:44 UTC

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 13:22:03 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>So, if you have one of these processors, it's probably worth the read.
>
>Or just get yourself an AMD. ;-)
>

>* Read the dirty details here:
>https://www.radgametools.com/oodleintel.htm

I'm still on a 9900K. Aren't we all getting AI chips when Windows 12
comes out anyway?

Did you hear? 16GB RAM requirement. I guess the AI can't be uninstalled.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<sfunti5m82s61burivrp42bp75juc2cp99@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417482&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417482

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 21:53:30 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 02:53 UTC

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 13:22:03 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

Just an update:

I applied the fixes, and the corrupt archive problem seems to be fixed
(the Intel AVX2 test no longer fails too).

Again, it's technically not entirely Intel's fault (but that makes for
a more attention-grabbing subject line ;-). The problem is caused by
how some motherboards ever-so-slightly push the CPU beyond its
official specs when running under high load conditions. This then
causes the CPU to go out of their functional clock rate and execute
instructions incorrectly. Forcing the motherboard to obey the CPU
strictures and the problem goes away.

But I still assign some responsibility to Intel, both because their
CPUs should have a bit more tolerance to them (especially their x900K
lines, which are purposely sold to be overclocking tolerant) and
because they should have microcode to prevent these sort of
shenanigans from causing problems in the first place.

Still, if you want to instead point the finger squarely at Gigabit,
MSI and ASUS, I totally see your point.

AFAIK, Intel has not yet acknowledge the issue (and my motherboard
vendor hasn't offered an updated BIOS). I'm not sure if this is
problem has been reported elsewhere. I'm not too fashed about it; the
fix was simple, and basically makes my PC work the way I thought it
was running in the first place (like many, I had no idea the
motherboard was secretly overclocking the CPU under high-load
conditions). And I wasn't /really/ seeing very many side-effects from
the problem to begin with.

But it sort of annoyed me that ZIP compression in 7Zip was broken, and
knowing both WHY and how to fix it pleases me more than it probably
should. I have mysteries.

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<o9vntihofdnbqk5064qt9k6g7060fc9fk9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417483&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417483

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 22:03:15 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 03:03 UTC

On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:44:29 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 13:22:03 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>I'm still on a 9900K.
A nice chip and - except for specific use-cases - probably overkill
for most stuff. It's amazing how overpowered our CPUs are these days;
even my older Intel i7-2600 rarely was CPU-bound with most games.

That your CPU is immune to the stupid decompression bug is just bonus.
;-)

>Aren't we all getting AI chips when Windows 12
>comes out anyway?

I'm hoping this stupid AI fad dies out before then and Microsoft
decides against the whole AI thing.

And even then, I only upgraded to Windows11 six months ago. I stuck
with Windows7 on my primary PC for waaaaaay longer than I should have.
By the time I upgrade again - assuming I don't go with a SteamOS PC -
Microsoft will probably be on Windows 15, their AI API will be as
deprecated as ActiveX, and instead the new hotness will be....

(rolls dice)

.... hardware accelerated containerization. Or maybe (finally) a VR API
so that non-propietary VR headsets can be used across different
applications.

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urh1p9$2bena$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417485&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417485

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 03:50:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 03:50 UTC

On 2024-02-26, Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:44:29 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 13:22:03 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>

>>I'm still on a 9900K.
> A nice chip and - except for specific use-cases - probably overkill
> for most stuff. It's amazing how overpowered our CPUs are these days;
> even my older Intel i7-2600 rarely was CPU-bound with most games.
>
> That your CPU is immune to the stupid decompression bug is just bonus.
> ;-)
>
>>Aren't we all getting AI chips when Windows 12
>>comes out anyway?
>
> I'm hoping this stupid AI fad dies out before then and Microsoft
> decides against the whole AI thing.

Same, seeing everything add an "AI" feature is driving me a bit crazy

> And even then, I only upgraded to Windows11 six months ago. I stuck
> with Windows7 on my primary PC for waaaaaay longer than I should have.
> By the time I upgrade again - assuming I don't go with a SteamOS PC -
> Microsoft will probably be on Windows 15, their AI API will be as
> deprecated as ActiveX, and instead the new hotness will be....
>
> (rolls dice)
>
> ... hardware accelerated containerization. Or maybe (finally) a VR API
> so that non-propietary VR headsets can be used across different
> applications.

Still might be better than Windows 8(.1)

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urh2vt$2blep$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417486&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417486

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:10:40 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 04:10 UTC

On 2/25/2024 4:44 PM, Zaghadka wrote:
I guess the AI can't be uninstalled.

From your computer or from your brain?

dirty old man.

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<uri5qe$2inc9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417488&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417488

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 14:05:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 14:05 UTC

On 2024-02-26, Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 2/25/2024 4:44 PM, Zaghadka wrote:
> I guess the AI can't be uninstalled.
>>
> From your computer or from your brain?

We're not there.... yet

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<1bertitqqaba89g4fa9nsrhc9p35lmj9g2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417498&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417498

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 05:30:23 -0500
 by: Xocyll - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:30 UTC

candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
looked up from reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The
Augury is good, the signs say:

>On 2024-02-25, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
>> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>> say:
>>
>>>So, for a while I've been having this odd problem with my new
>>>computer. Every time I tried to comrpess a file to ZIP with 7Zip, the
>>>archive ended up being corrupt. It only happened with the 7Zip
>>>program, and only with ZIP files (compressing to .7z files, for
>>>instance, worked perfectly). The 7Zip project maintainers were
>>>similarly mystified, and none of their suggestions worked. Was it
>>>hardware failure? Some software incompatibility getting in the way?
>>>Were the stars misaligned? Ohmigod, was it Evul H4x0rZ trying to break
>>>into my file-server to grab all my pictures of cute kitty-cats!?!??
>>>
>>>No, turns out it's Intel and their usual quality products.
>>
>> So F00F: The Next Generation?
>>
>> Xocyll
>
>What's F00F?

Intel Pentium series 1 had a massive issue where it would crash if it
received F00F - google it.

Didn't affect me, mostly AMD since the 286 (one Cyrix 486.)

Xocyll

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urkrum$38grr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417501&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417501

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:35:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:35 UTC

On 2024-02-27, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
> candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
> looked up from reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The
> Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>On 2024-02-25, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
>>> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
>>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>> say:

>>> So F00F: The Next Generation?
>>>
>>> Xocyll
>>
>>What's F00F?
>
> Intel Pentium series 1 had a massive issue where it would crash if it
> received F00F - google it.
>
> Didn't affect me, mostly AMD since the 286 (one Cyrix 486.)
>
> Xocyll

Never heard of that, sounds neat.

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<lp9stih06c2hdrerdgnpk63hd86cadnsat@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417510&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417510

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:27:15 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:27 UTC

On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 22:03:15 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>>Aren't we all getting AI chips when Windows 12
>>comes out anyway?
>
>I'm hoping this stupid AI fad dies out before then and Microsoft
>decides against the whole AI thing.

It isn't just a fad. Businesses are withdrawing from the cloud (it's been
in the news lately) and Microsoft and others built out a lot of capacity
on spec. Capacity that will be a big loss if it's dark. They want to fill
it with AI.

Meanwhile, ham-handedness is rampant. I use Edge at work, and I got rid
of Copilot on the taskbar. It was a highly obfuscated setting, but Google
is your friend. Know what they did? They put an unremovable "sidebar"
button in Edge. When you click it, it reveals Copilot which is on the new
sidebar by default. So I removed Copilot from there but the button is
still eating up screen real estate. You click it and a blank sidebar
shows up.

I predict AI promotion is going to be worse than OneDrive.

I'm pretty sure they put that sidebar button in, with no switch to remove
it, because their metrics were telling them the (I suspect staggering)
number of people who removed the Copilot button. I'll bet money the
market has spoken.

But they *need* this, so screw the metrics. Those are only used as a
justification for removing useful features, not to react to customer
disapproval of unnecessary ones.

In any event, it's all coming to Windows 11, too. Windows 12 is mostly
going to be selling new machines with a dedicated AI processor I think.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<jcasti10kdcfvrt6gae60hc0p2ef5i53gk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417511&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417511

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:28:08 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:28 UTC

On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:10:40 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>On 2/25/2024 4:44 PM, Zaghadka wrote:
>I guess the AI can't be uninstalled.
>>
> From your computer or from your brain?

Are you calling me a pseudointellectual sir, or a robot?

(*throws down white glove*)

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<5hastil64a1nqenu6vrmrrvtpol1576l6c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417512&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417512

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:30:50 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:30 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 05:30:23 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Xocyll wrote:

>candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
>looked up from reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The
>Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>On 2024-02-25, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
>>> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
>>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>> say:

>>> So F00F: The Next Generation?
>>>
>>> Xocyll
>>
>>What's F00F?
>
>Intel Pentium series 1 had a massive issue where it would crash if it
>received F00F - google it.
>
>Didn't affect me, mostly AMD since the 286 (one Cyrix 486.)

Ooh. I knew Motorola 68000s had an HCF instruction. I didn't realize
Pentium had one.

Hilarious.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urlf7v$3crj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417516&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417516

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:04:17 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:04 UTC

On 2/27/2024 10:28 AM, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:10:40 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>
>> On 2/25/2024 4:44 PM, Zaghadka wrote:
>> I guess the AI can't be uninstalled.
>>>
>> From your computer or from your brain?
>
> Are you calling me a pseudointellectual sir, or a robot?
>
> (*throws down white glove*)

Can I call you a pseudo-intellectual robot?

:P

dirty old man.

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urlf9k$3csp5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417517&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417517

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:05:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:05 UTC

On 2024-02-27, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 05:30:23 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Xocyll wrote:
>
>>candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
>>looked up from reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The
>>Augury is good, the signs say:

>>>What's F00F?
>>
>>Intel Pentium series 1 had a massive issue where it would crash if it
>>received F00F - google it.
>>
>>Didn't affect me, mostly AMD since the 286 (one Cyrix 486.)
>>
> Ooh. I knew Motorola 68000s had an HCF instruction. I didn't realize
> Pentium had one.
>
> Hilarious.

False advertising, my computer did not combust :(

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urlffd$3ctpp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417519&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417519

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:08:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:08 UTC

On 2024-02-27, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:10:40 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>
>>On 2/25/2024 4:44 PM, Zaghadka wrote:
>>I guess the AI can't be uninstalled.
>>>
>> From your computer or from your brain?
>
> Are you calling me a pseudointellectual sir, or a robot?
>
> (*throws down white glove*)

I think its implying that there's going to be a AI brain implant in the
future, unfortunately.

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urlqcs$3f7q8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417520&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417520

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 15:14:38 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 23:14 UTC

On 2/27/2024 12:05 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 2024-02-27, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 05:30:23 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>> Xocyll wrote:
>>
>>> candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
>>> looked up from reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The
>>> Augury is good, the signs say:

>>> Intel Pentium series 1 had a massive issue where it would crash if it
>>> received F00F - google it.
>>>
>>> Didn't affect me, mostly AMD since the 286 (one Cyrix 486.)
>>>
>> Ooh. I knew Motorola 68000s had an HCF instruction. I didn't realize
>> Pentium had one.
>>
>> Hilarious.
>
> False advertising, my computer did not combust :(

You didn't use enough lighter fluid!

dirty old man.

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<32ssti1unef487qkr3479g00481cviu243@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417521&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417521

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:30:01 -0500
 by: Xocyll - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 23:30 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> looked up from reading the
say:

>On 2/27/2024 12:05 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> On 2024-02-27, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ooh. I knew Motorola 68000s had an HCF instruction. I didn't realize
>>> Pentium had one.
>>>
>>> Hilarious.
>>
>> False advertising, my computer did not combust :(
>
>You didn't use enough lighter fluid!

Lighter fluid? You amateur, you combust a computer with thermite!

Xocyll

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urm6ec$3haci$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417525&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417525

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:40:16 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 02:40 UTC

On 2/27/2024 3:30 PM, Xocyll wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> say:

>>> False advertising, my computer did not combust :(
>>
>> You didn't use enough lighter fluid!
>
> Lighter fluid? You amateur, you combust a computer with thermite!

Most people can't make their own thermite. Lighter fluid is easy and
legal to acquire. ;)

dirty old man.

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urmciu$3m3a5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417526&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417526

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 04:25:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 04:25 UTC

On 2024-02-28, Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 2/27/2024 3:30 PM, Xocyll wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> looked up from reading the
>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>> say:
>>
>>> On 2/27/2024 12:05 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
[snip]

>>> You didn't use enough lighter fluid!
>>
>> Lighter fluid? You amateur, you combust a computer with thermite!
>>
> Most people can't make their own thermite. Lighter fluid is easy and
> legal to acquire. ;)

/most/ people. And please dont burn your computer :)

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urmghq$3modr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417527&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417527

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 21:32:46 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 05:32 UTC

On 2/27/2024 8:25 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 2024-02-28, Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> On 2/27/2024 3:30 PM, Xocyll wrote:
>>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> looked up from reading the
>>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>> say:

> [snip]

>>> Lighter fluid? You amateur, you combust a computer with thermite!
>>>
>> Most people can't make their own thermite. Lighter fluid is easy and
>> legal to acquire. ;)
>
> /most/ people. And please dont burn your computer :)

I have a heart monitor installed. When I die, my computer burns!

:P

dirty old man.

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<qukutil1saa96sl6m05900p10439t6cmo1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417530&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417530

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:40:36 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 15:40 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:40:16 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>On 2/27/2024 3:30 PM, Xocyll wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> looked up from reading the
>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>> say:

>>> You didn't use enough lighter fluid!
>>
>> Lighter fluid? You amateur, you combust a computer with thermite!
>>
>Most people can't make their own thermite. Lighter fluid is easy and
>legal to acquire. ;)

They mostly don't burn their computers up with thermite... mostly.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...

<urnq9k$9is$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417538&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417538

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 17:25:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 17:25 UTC

On 2024-02-28, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:40:16 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>
>>On 2/27/2024 3:30 PM, Xocyll wrote:
>>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> looked up from reading the
>>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>> say:

[snip]

>>> Lighter fluid? You amateur, you combust a computer with thermite!
>>>
>>Most people can't make their own thermite. Lighter fluid is easy and
>>legal to acquire. ;)
>
> They mostly don't burn their computers up with thermite... mostly.

Mostly :)
~~i could write a comic about that actually~~

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Intel CPU Bugs strike again...