Any given program will expand to fill available memory.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

SubjectAuthor
* Prime Gaming 20 February 2024Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024Justisaur
`* Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024Zaghadka
 +- Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024candycanearter07
 +- Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024David Goodwin
 `* Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024Spalls Hurgenson
  `* Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024Zaghadka
   `* Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024Spalls Hurgenson
    +- Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024Dimensional Traveler
    `* Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024Xocyll
     `- Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024candycanearter07

1
Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

<5jj9ti94nq0rudk7j177kr89nib7fvmihl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417413&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417413

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 11:19:24 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:19 UTC

Time for the bi-weekly disappointment that is Amazon Prime Gaming...

* Tempest 4000
So this one is obvious: it's Tempest revamped for modern
computers. It's more of a bullet hell (or heaven?) than
the original, but you're still locked to the grid. Apparently
the original release was fairly buggy; no idea if this one
is improved. But I suppose if you liked Tempest (and this
game runs) you'll probably like this one too.

* Missile Command: Recharged (via Epic)
Another classic archive remixed for modern sensibilities.
It's a lot less impressive looking than most, though; I've
seen a lot better looking incarnations of the game. But it
seems to capture the vibe of the original game fairly well,
even if it does add a number of new gameplay elements.

* Criminal Archives: Alphabetic Murders CE (via Legacy)
More puzzle than adventure game. Not crazy about the
'cardboard cutout' character art style. But if you like
murder mystery adventures then maybe this will be
your thing.

The sad thing is, this is actually one of Amazon Prime's /better/
selections. The games are all very niche but none of them look
terrible. It still does nothing to encourage me to recommend the
service...

(quick check: did I post this to the correct newsgroup this time? Yes.
Yes I did.)

Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

<ur3960$2njj5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417419&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417419

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:30:22 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:30 UTC

On 2/20/2024 8:19 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Time for the bi-weekly disappointment that is Amazon Prime Gaming...
>
> * Tempest 4000
> So this one is obvious: it's Tempest revamped for modern
> computers. It's more of a bullet hell (or heaven?) than
> the original, but you're still locked to the grid. Apparently
> the original release was fairly buggy; no idea if this one
> is improved. But I suppose if you liked Tempest (and this
> game runs) you'll probably like this one too.

Well I liked Tempest in the arcade, just liked though. It was rare for
me to play it, and I never got very good. I got it. Likelyhood of
playing it while non 0 is infinitesimally close to 0.

> * Missile Command: Recharged (via Epic)
> Another classic archive remixed for modern sensibilities.
> It's a lot less impressive looking than most, though; I've
> seen a lot better looking incarnations of the game. But it
> seems to capture the vibe of the original game fairly well,
> even if it does add a number of new gameplay elements.

Easier to get through Prime than opening up Epic, so I did. Likelyhood
of playing it is significantly lower than Tempest, even though I
probably played MC in the arcade a lot more, and was much better at it.
Who wants to defend against nukes, blowing up the enemies with them
would be much more fun (as introduced in Fallout 3! Oh yes, I know
other games allowed you to use nukes before it, but it was mostly in the
background, not personal ordinance.)

> * Criminal Archives: Alphabetic Murders CE (via Legacy)
> More puzzle than adventure game. Not crazy about the
> 'cardboard cutout' character art style. But if you like
> murder mystery adventures then maybe this will be
> your thing.

Still haven't seen anything from Legacy that would make me bother going
through the account creation process.

> The sad thing is, this is actually one of Amazon Prime's /better/
> selections. The games are all very niche but none of them look
> terrible. It still does nothing to encourage me to recommend the
> service...

Definitely not for the free games. Sure I've gotten a few over the
years, but I'd drop it like a hot potato were it not for it comes with
Prime which the wife has, and by virtue of being married to her I get.

---------------------

The free prime games on Luna are mostly without note again. One
somewhat caught my eye:

Inertial Drift, A racing game with 80's cell-shaded art looking a bit
between Borderlands and Far-Cry Blood Dragon. It uses twin stick
controls - left for steering and right for auto-drift. I always hate
drifting, perhaps that will make it better? I Might try it out later.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

<hibatihucrilhv5msgujp7qm3f94h8hsus@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417420&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417420

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:58:06 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:58 UTC

Cool! Now I have both "Fallout" and "Fallout Classic" on GOG.com. And I
don't think there's any difference.

Does this count as 1/2 game for the purposes of The Number?

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

<ur3b2m$2nv69$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417421&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417421

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 17:02:46 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 23:02 UTC

On 2/20/24 16:58, Zaghadka wrote:
> Cool! Now I have both "Fallout" and "Fallout Classic" on GOG.com. And I
> don't think there's any difference.
>
> Does this count as 1/2 game for the purposes of The Number?

Sure, you're the judge.

Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

<MPG.4040139443ddafe398968c@news.zx.net.nz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417423&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417423

From: david+usenet@zx.net.nz (David Goodwin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:05:44 +1300
 by: David Goodwin - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 01:05 UTC

In article <hibatihucrilhv5msgujp7qm3f94h8hsus@4ax.com>,
zaghadka@hotmail.com says...

> Cool! Now I have both "Fallout" and "Fallout Classic" on GOG.com. And I
> don't think there's any difference.

Yeah, I wondered about that. I'd guess if one were to download both and
diff them they'd be identical and the only difference is who GOG sent
money to when a purchase was made.

Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

<po4ctit7r9h90f46j8o4smoekt6c9g8smh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417428&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417428

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:19:20 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:19 UTC

On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:58:06 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Cool! Now I have both "Fallout" and "Fallout Classic" on GOG.com. And I
>don't think there's any difference.
>
>Does this count as 1/2 game for the purposes of The Number?

Apparently the only difference is that "Classic" has OSX support. So
if you own regular "Fallout" on GOG, you only get the x86 version. If
you own "Classic", you get that too, but can also download an OSX
version.

Oh, and on GOG the "Classic" version has more extras (I think; some HD
wallpaper and extra 'avatars').

How it is counted in terms of The Number has led to several holy wars
in the past. If I own the same game on different digital platforms,
does it count as one game or two? What if I also own it on CD or
floppy? Or if I own the same game on different platforms? Or a
not-identical port to another platform? The scripture, sadly, is
unclear and I certainly am not going to get involved in that sort of
thing again. Being burned at the stake for heresty once was enough for
me! ;-)

Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

<p3petidkmc7mv5nfthrubl98fnfrgju9nk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417441&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417441

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:16:28 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 15:16 UTC

On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:19:20 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>How it is counted in terms of The Number has led to several holy wars
>in the past. If I own the same game on different digital platforms,
>does it count as one game or two? What if I also own it on CD or
>floppy? Or if I own the same game on different platforms? Or a
>not-identical port to another platform? The scripture, sadly, is
>unclear and I certainly am not going to get involved in that sort of
>thing again. Being burned at the stake for heresty once was enough for
>me! ;-)

Indeed. The going on 15-years' war over whether Duke Nukem Forever is an
increase in The Number or grounds for immediate excommunication is
legendary. The toll it has taken is massive.

On "The Great Schism" of 2011, I remain with the orthodoxy. It counts.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

<i07ftid9l5qtfheiiu1k18b0amr8rmk7ed@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417454&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417454

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 14:12:06 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:12 UTC

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:16:28 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:19:20 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>>How it is counted in terms of The Number has led to several holy wars
>>in the past. If I own the same game on different digital platforms,
>>does it count as one game or two? What if I also own it on CD or
>>floppy? Or if I own the same game on different platforms? Or a
>>not-identical port to another platform? The scripture, sadly, is
>>unclear and I certainly am not going to get involved in that sort of
>>thing again. Being burned at the stake for heresty once was enough for
>>me! ;-)

>Indeed. The going on 15-years' war over whether Duke Nukem Forever is an
>increase in The Number or grounds for immediate excommunication is
>legendary. The toll it has taken is massive.
>On "The Great Schism" of 2011, I remain with the orthodoxy. It counts.

On the other hand, I'm a member of a splinter group of the schismatics
who believe it's all a moot point, since a righteous Number would
never allow the creation of a game as terrible as DNF, and therefore
there never was a game to be counted.

Prepare the pitchforks and torches! ;-P

Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

<ur9br8$clhj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417458&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417458

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:52:44 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 05:52 UTC

On 2/22/2024 11:12 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:16:28 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:19:20 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>> How it is counted in terms of The Number has led to several holy wars
>>> in the past. If I own the same game on different digital platforms,
>>> does it count as one game or two? What if I also own it on CD or
>>> floppy? Or if I own the same game on different platforms? Or a
>>> not-identical port to another platform? The scripture, sadly, is
>>> unclear and I certainly am not going to get involved in that sort of
>>> thing again. Being burned at the stake for heresty once was enough for
>>> me! ;-)
>
>> Indeed. The going on 15-years' war over whether Duke Nukem Forever is an
>> increase in The Number or grounds for immediate excommunication is
>> legendary. The toll it has taken is massive.
>> On "The Great Schism" of 2011, I remain with the orthodoxy. It counts.
>
> On the other hand, I'm a member of a splinter group of the schismatics
> who believe it's all a moot point, since a righteous Number would
> never allow the creation of a game as terrible as DNF, and therefore
> there never was a game to be counted.
>
> Prepare the pitchforks and torches! ;-P

At the moment I'm of the splinter splinter group that is preparing pitch
torches and forks.

dirty old man.

Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

<968mtihsah2k16bbl6spu4r20ei5sr33qn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417475&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417475

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 06:13:43 -0500
 by: Xocyll - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 11:13 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:16:28 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:19:20 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>>How it is counted in terms of The Number has led to several holy wars
>>>in the past. If I own the same game on different digital platforms,
>>>does it count as one game or two? What if I also own it on CD or
>>>floppy? Or if I own the same game on different platforms? Or a
>>>not-identical port to another platform? The scripture, sadly, is
>>>unclear and I certainly am not going to get involved in that sort of
>>>thing again. Being burned at the stake for heresty once was enough for
>>>me! ;-)
>
>>Indeed. The going on 15-years' war over whether Duke Nukem Forever is an
>>increase in The Number or grounds for immediate excommunication is
>>legendary. The toll it has taken is massive.
>>On "The Great Schism" of 2011, I remain with the orthodoxy. It counts.
>
>On the other hand, I'm a member of a splinter group of the schismatics
>who believe it's all a moot point, since a righteous Number would
>never allow the creation of a game as terrible as DNF, and therefore
>there never was a game to be counted.
>
>Prepare the pitchforks and torches! ;-P

Torchforks and Pitchers (because being an angry mob is thirsty work.)

Xocyll

Re: Prime Gaming 20 February 2024

<urfvge$20226$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417479&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417479

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:05:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:05 UTC

On 2024-02-25, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> say:
>
>>On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:16:28 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:
>
>>>Indeed. The going on 15-years' war over whether Duke Nukem Forever is an
>>>increase in The Number or grounds for immediate excommunication is
>>>legendary. The toll it has taken is massive.
>>>On "The Great Schism" of 2011, I remain with the orthodoxy. It counts.
>>
>>On the other hand, I'm a member of a splinter group of the schismatics
>>who believe it's all a moot point, since a righteous Number would
>>never allow the creation of a game as terrible as DNF, and therefore
>>there never was a game to be counted.
>>
>>Prepare the pitchforks and torches! ;-P
>
> Torchforks and Pitchers (because being an angry mob is thirsty work.)
>
> Xocyll

And those torchforks are heavy!