In specifications, Murphy's Law supersedes Ohm's.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"

SubjectAuthor
* FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"Spalls Hurgenson
+* Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"Zaghadka
|`- Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"Justisaur
+* Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"kyonshi
|+- Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"Justisaur
|`- Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"candycanearter07
`- Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"Mike S.

1
FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"

<na7asipe2berq95s4sf2f5h303lj2qhnj5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417256&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417256

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 13:28:59 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:28 UTC

Epic-Gives-Away-Games-Again Thursday is back! It feels like a whole
week since it was last here. But now we get more games! We like free
games, don't we?

And what are we getting this time?

* Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/doki-doki-literature-club-plus
A very weird visual-novel / dating sim / horror game. It's reputedly a
VERY good game, with the horror elements cleverly woven into the
game's more mundane aspects. But you really have to enjoy visual novel
style games first, and if that genre isn't your bag, then everything
else isn't going to make the game anymore fun for you. If you've never
played a visual novel, give this one a try to see if you like them;
it's one of the best. But if you've already made up your mind about
the genre, this isn't going to change your opinion.

* Lost Castle
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/lost-castle-abb2e2
An action-RPG with procedurally generated dungeons and retro graphics.
It's self-described as 'super cute', which is never a winner for me.
It looks too much like the sort of game you'd see on Facebook for me
to want to invest any time in it. It's probably fine, but it's not
what I'm looking for.

That's all today. Now we have to wait another whole week before the
next freebies! I HATE waiting!

Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"

<vhnasip33aj0l2ucbr402u32ml17uuvukf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417259&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417259

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 17:08:50 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 23:08 UTC

On Thu, 08 Feb 2024 13:28:59 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>* Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!
>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/doki-doki-literature-club-plus
>A very weird visual-novel / dating sim / horror game. It's reputedly a
>VERY good game, with the horror elements cleverly woven into the
>game's more mundane aspects. But you really have to enjoy visual novel
>style games first, and if that genre isn't your bag, then everything
>else isn't going to make the game anymore fun for you. If you've never
>played a visual novel, give this one a try to see if you like them;
>it's one of the best. But if you've already made up your mind about
>the genre, this isn't going to change your opinion.

My daughter is a crazy fan of this game. If you were ever interested in a
complete send-up of japanese "dating" games, this is the one. There are
also some very unique twists, which I won't spoil. Trust me. They're
good.

So, it's an experience worth having. If you absolutely abhor visual
novels, you still might like this, but I'd probably give it a pass. But
you *really* have to hate them. Othewise, spend a few hours, and watch
out for Monica. She's a live wire.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"

<uq3p75$276eg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417263&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417263

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:47:49 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 23:47 UTC

On 2/8/2024 3:08 PM, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2024 13:28:59 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>

>> * Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/doki-doki-literature-club-plus
>> A very weird visual-novel / dating sim / horror game. It's reputedly a
>> VERY good game, with the horror elements cleverly woven into the
>> game's more mundane aspects. But you really have to enjoy visual novel
>> style games first, and if that genre isn't your bag, then everything
>> else isn't going to make the game anymore fun for you. If you've never
>> played a visual novel, give this one a try to see if you like them;
>> it's one of the best. But if you've already made up your mind about
>> the genre, this isn't going to change your opinion.
>
> My daughter is a crazy fan of this game. If you were ever interested in a
> complete send-up of japanese "dating" games, this is the one. There are
> also some very unique twists, which I won't spoil. Trust me. They're
> good.
>
> So, it's an experience worth having. If you absolutely abhor visual
> novels, you still might like this, but I'd probably give it a pass. But
> you *really* have to hate them. Othewise, spend a few hours, and watch
> out for Monica. She's a live wire.

I don't think I've ever really played a visual novel dating sim. I did
briefly play one 8-bit demo or something that was given away, Monster
dating or something, or maybe it had a bunch of micro transactions to
unlock all the people you can date. Obviously it didn't leave much of
an impact as I can't even find me posting about it, which I'm usually
really good at looking up.

Unless you count BG3 as a dating sim :)

I hear this one mentioned all the time, and I have been surprised by a
number of games I didn't really think were my style lately. I'll try to
remember to try it after I'm done with my PS3+ streaming expires again.

At least it's something I can be bothered to go to epic for free.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"

<uq4ps1$2i6uf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417266&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417266

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 10:05:05 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 09:05 UTC

On 2/8/2024 7:28 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Epic-Gives-Away-Games-Again Thursday is back! It feels like a whole
> week since it was last here. But now we get more games! We like free
> games, don't we?
>
> And what are we getting this time?
>

> * Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/doki-doki-literature-club-plus
> A very weird visual-novel / dating sim / horror game. It's reputedly a
> VERY good game, with the horror elements cleverly woven into the
> game's more mundane aspects. But you really have to enjoy visual novel
> style games first, and if that genre isn't your bag, then everything
> else isn't going to make the game anymore fun for you. If you've never
> played a visual novel, give this one a try to see if you like them;
> it's one of the best. But if you've already made up your mind about
> the genre, this isn't going to change your opinion.
>

> * Lost Castle
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/lost-castle-abb2e2
> An action-RPG with procedurally generated dungeons and retro graphics.
> It's self-described as 'super cute', which is never a winner for me.
> It looks too much like the sort of game you'd see on Facebook for me
> to want to invest any time in it. It's probably fine, but it's not
> what I'm looking for.
>

> That's all today. Now we have to wait another whole week before the
> next freebies! I HATE waiting!

Dating Sim games are one of those things that have largely passed me by
except by cultural osmosis. I know the principles mostly because I was
reading manga that played with the tropes (chiefly The World God Only
Knows, which is surprisingly engaging for a story about an anti-social
pro-dating sim gamer who is forced to use his skills in real life).

I did try to play the KFC dating game before, unfortunately besides the
rather outrageous topic and pretty good look of the production, the
actual game part of this was pretty linear and boring so I gave up soon.

*I Love You, Colonel Sanders! A Finger Lickin’ Good Dating Simulator
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121910/I_Love_You_Colonel_Sanders_A_Finger_Lickin_Good_Dating_Simulator/
Welcome to the most delicious dating simulator ever created. Do you have
what it takes to be the business partner of and win the heart of the
most famous chicken salesman of all time? Play to find out! Go ahead,
Colonel Sanders is waiting.

Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"

<uq5jfe$2mu66$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417269&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417269

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 08:22:05 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 16:22 UTC

On 2/9/2024 1:05 AM, kyonshi wrote:
> On 2/8/2024 7:28 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>
>> Epic-Gives-Away-Games-Again Thursday is back! It feels like a whole
>> week since it was last here. But now we get more games! We like free
>> games, don't we?
>>
>> And what are we getting this time?
>>

>> * Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/doki-doki-literature-club-plus
>> A very weird visual-novel / dating sim / horror game. It's reputedly a
>> VERY good game, with the horror elements cleverly woven into the
>> game's more mundane aspects. But you really have to enjoy visual novel
>> style games first, and if that genre isn't your bag, then everything
>> else isn't going to make the game anymore fun for you. If you've never
>> played a visual novel, give this one a try to see if you like them;
>> it's one of the best. But if you've already made up your mind about
>> the genre, this isn't going to change your opinion.
>>

>> * Lost Castle
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/lost-castle-abb2e2
>> An action-RPG with procedurally generated dungeons and retro graphics.
>> It's self-described as 'super cute', which is never a winner for me.
>> It looks too much like the sort of game you'd see on Facebook for me
>> to want to invest any time in it. It's probably fine, but it's not
>> what I'm looking for.
>>

>> That's all today. Now we have to wait another whole week before the
>> next freebies! I HATE waiting!
>
> Dating Sim games are one of those things that have largely passed me by
> except by cultural osmosis. I know the principles mostly because I was
> reading manga that played with the tropes (chiefly The World God Only
> Knows, which is surprisingly engaging for a story about an anti-social
> pro-dating sim gamer who is forced to use his skills in real life).
>
> I did try to play the KFC dating game before, unfortunately besides the
> rather outrageous topic and pretty good look of the production, the
> actual game part of this was pretty linear and boring so I gave up soon.
>
> *I Love You, Colonel Sanders! A Finger Lickin’ Good Dating Simulator
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121910/I_Love_You_Colonel_Sanders_A_Finger_Lickin_Good_Dating_Simulator/
> Welcome to the most delicious dating simulator ever created. Do you have
> what it takes to be the business partner of and win the heart of the
> most famous chicken salesman of all time? Play to find out! Go ahead,
> Colonel Sanders is waiting.

Ridiculously silly looking, just my type of game, it's also free! Added
to my library.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"

<1o3dsitf7ei3f89bj8u2vflircrr5dmaa2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417276&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417276

From: Mike_S@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 15:46:40 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 20:46 UTC

On Thu, 08 Feb 2024 13:28:59 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>* Lost Castle
>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/lost-castle-abb2e2
>An action-RPG with procedurally generated dungeons and retro graphics.
>It's self-described as 'super cute', which is never a winner for me.
>It looks too much like the sort of game you'd see on Facebook for me
>to want to invest any time in it. It's probably fine, but it's not
>what I'm looking for.

I like the genre and I like the graphics. That is all the incentive I
need to try out a freebie like this one. Thanks Spalls.

Re: FREE GAMES: "Doki Doki Literature Club" and "Lost Castle"

<uqdek1$1jhv3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417289&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417289

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 09:48:16 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:48 UTC

On 2/9/24 03:05, kyonshi wrote:
> On 2/8/2024 7:28 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>
>> Epic-Gives-Away-Games-Again Thursday is back! It feels like a whole
>> week since it was last here. But now we get more games! We like free
>> games, don't we?
>>
>> And what are we getting this time?
>>

>> * Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/doki-doki-literature-club-plus
>> A very weird visual-novel / dating sim / horror game. It's reputedly a
>> VERY good game, with the horror elements cleverly woven into the
>> game's more mundane aspects. But you really have to enjoy visual novel
>> style games first, and if that genre isn't your bag, then everything
>> else isn't going to make the game anymore fun for you. If you've never
>> played a visual novel, give this one a try to see if you like them;
>> it's one of the best. But if you've already made up your mind about
>> the genre, this isn't going to change your opinion.
>>

>> * Lost Castle
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/lost-castle-abb2e2
>> An action-RPG with procedurally generated dungeons and retro graphics.
>> It's self-described as 'super cute', which is never a winner for me.
>> It looks too much like the sort of game you'd see on Facebook for me
>> to want to invest any time in it. It's probably fine, but it's not
>> what I'm looking for.
>>

>> That's all today. Now we have to wait another whole week before the
>> next freebies! I HATE waiting!
>
> Dating Sim games are one of those things that have largely passed me by
> except by cultural osmosis. I know the principles mostly because I was
> reading manga that played with the tropes (chiefly The World God Only
> Knows, which is surprisingly engaging for a story about an anti-social
> pro-dating sim gamer who is forced to use his skills in real life).

Same, I never got into Dating Sims or really the VisNovel genre in
general. With the exception of Phoenix Wright.