The clothes have no emperor. -- C. A. R. Hoare, commenting on ADA.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Which to buy?

SubjectAuthor
* Which to buy?Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Which to buy?Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: Which to buy?rms
|`* Re: Which to buy?rms
| `- Re: Which to buy?Spalls Hurgenson
`* Re: Which to buy?PW
 `- Re: Which to buy?Spalls Hurgenson

1
Which to buy?

<b5ajri5hucnvl7iilq1tsu4ebhb3agjsmj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417125&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417125

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Which to buy?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:02:21 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 02:02 UTC

Both "The Callisto Protocol" and the "Dead Space" remake are on sale.
Both are on my wishlist.
And it's been a while since I bought a new game.

On the one hand, we have "The Callisto Protocol", which looks
interesting, even if it is an obvious clone of "Dead Space". But its
Indie pedigree also makes it look the less polished product.

On the other hand, "Dead Space" is a remake, and - as much as I
enjoyed the original game - buying it again a second time just for
some slight added graphical fidelity doesn't sit right with me.

So... do I get the new but imperfect game or the game I know I like
but have already played that's just a graphics overhaul?

It's gonna be one of the two, but which one should I go with? Choices,
choices...

Re: Which to buy?

<upcbel$1brk8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417126&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417126

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Which to buy?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 18:31:52 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 02:31 UTC

On 1/30/2024 6:02 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Both "The Callisto Protocol" and the "Dead Space" remake are on sale.
> Both are on my wishlist.
> And it's been a while since I bought a new game.
>
> On the one hand, we have "The Callisto Protocol", which looks
> interesting, even if it is an obvious clone of "Dead Space". But its
> Indie pedigree also makes it look the less polished product.
>
> On the other hand, "Dead Space" is a remake, and - as much as I
> enjoyed the original game - buying it again a second time just for
> some slight added graphical fidelity doesn't sit right with me.
>
> So... do I get the new but imperfect game or the game I know I like
> but have already played that's just a graphics overhaul?
>
> It's gonna be one of the two, but which one should I go with? Choices,
> choices...

Isn't situations like this why we still have coins?

dirty old man.

Re: Which to buy?

<upcguv$1cihb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417127&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417127

From: rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:05:49 -0700
 by: rms - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 04:05 UTC

>Both "The Callisto Protocol" and the "Dead Space" remake are on sale.

I own both but haven't gotten to Callisto -- or actually I played through
Dead Space 3x (to see the alternate ending) on EAPlayPro, don't own it. DS
is highly polished, with no bugs, and has lots of fun weapon choices to play
with, while Callisto is short and linear so they say. I'd say pick DS now,
and Callisto next sale.

rms

Re: Which to buy?

<upch2c$1ciql$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417128&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417128

From: rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:07:38 -0700
 by: rms - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 04:07 UTC

$20 for the deluxe edition is great deal tho, I'd just get both!
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-callisto-protocol-deluxe

rms

Re: Which to buy?

<kj0mri51v3ubcsk0bd1khbu6eqalb2arla@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417136&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417136

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 21:47:07 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 02:47 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:07:38 -0700, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>$20 for the deluxe edition is great deal tho, I'd just get both!
>https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-callisto-protocol-deluxe

I went with "Callisto", largely because it's something new. I've
already played "Dead Space" (multiple times) and I'd rather a
different experience than rehash a known game, even one I enjoyed.
Especially since I still find the original "Dead Space" quite
playable, and paying a second time for what is - in essence - the same
as something I already own.

(Plus, better the money to a smaller developer than EA, and I really
dislike using Origin. Eventually I'll pick it up, I'm sure (heck, the
sale goes on for another week or two!), but it's not a high priority).

The deluxe edition is also available directly from Steam at the same
price. As much as I like HumbleBundle* I decided not to use them as a
middle-man since they wouldn't save me any money. ;-)

-----------------
* side note regarding Humble: Despite not wanting any of the games
from HumbleChoice this month, I stupidly kept putting off 'cancelling'
the monthly purchase until, inevitably, I forgot about it. Yesterday I
got an email telling me that I'd just bought all the games. No fault
to Humble, though; had I simply gone to the website and clicked a
button, they wouldn't have charged me. But now I have a bunch of
not-so-good games added to my library. <sigh>

Re: Which to buy?

<ja6mriputvmljtl2l36u0a6oruvl53ue15@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417138&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417138

From: iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 21:10:14 -0700
 by: PW - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 04:10 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:02:21 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Both "The Callisto Protocol" and the "Dead Space" remake are on sale.
>Both are on my wishlist.
>And it's been a while since I bought a new game.
>
>On the one hand, we have "The Callisto Protocol", which looks
>interesting, even if it is an obvious clone of "Dead Space". But its
>Indie pedigree also makes it look the less polished product.
>
>On the other hand, "Dead Space" is a remake, and - as much as I
>enjoyed the original game - buying it again a second time just for
>some slight added graphical fidelity doesn't sit right with me.
>
>So... do I get the new but imperfect game or the game I know I like
>but have already played that's just a graphics overhaul?
>
>It's gonna be one of the two, but which one should I go with? Choices,
>choices...

*--

I don't understand why you don't have or are not choosing DS3!?

I think it is fantastic like the other two.

Have you read the reviews on The Callisto Protocol Spalls?

-pw

Re: Which to buy?

<kkenri9lm9pf0k8mm5sp66olmcfih1e3i2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111417140&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111417140

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 10:48:59 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 15:48 UTC

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 21:10:14 -0700, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:02:21 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Both "The Callisto Protocol" and the "Dead Space" remake are on sale.

>I don't understand why you don't have or are not choosing DS3!?
>I think it is fantastic like the other two.

>Have you read the reviews on The Callisto Protocol Spalls?

I've played all the (original) Dead Space games (including the ones on
mobile and console).

I'd hardly say "Dead Space 3" was fantastic, though. It was a big
departure from the originals, turning more into a corridor shooter
than the horror-survival of the previous titles. It's attempt to be a
co-op shooter and the shoehorned-in microtransactions (pay real money
to collect resources faster!) weren't welcome changes either. It
wasn't terrible, but it was probably the weakest of the bunch.

"Dead Space 2" wiped the floor with it. IMHO, obviously (but the fact
that the franchise died after episode 3 seems pretty indicative ;-)

But regardless of which game in the series was the best, the biggest
reason I chose "Callisto Protocol" was because I already had played
"Dead Space", and slightly-improved graphics aren't really a tempting
reason for me to pay out for what is otherwise an identical game. And
while reviews of "Callisto Protocol" aren't entirely positive, they
largely agree the game - warts aside - is a good "Dead Space" clone,
even if not quite up to the standards of the game its imitating. And I
generally prefer to reward new games over paying for rehashes and
remakes.