From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: There Was A New ARMA game?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:09:43 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:09 UTC

So, there I am, scrolling through Steam looking for new (read: CHEAP)
games, and my eye catches on an oddity: "ARMA Reforger", released
November 2023. "What is this," I ask myself. I thought I knew all of
the various ARMA games. "Some sort of new DLC expansion for ARMA 3?"
But no, apparently it's an entirely new game; not quite an ARMA 4 but
something in between. Same basic formula, but with a new engine and
new interface. But its release totally escaped me; I'd heard nothing
about this game until I accidentally bumped into it.

I never was the biggest fan of the ARMA games (or the Operation
Flashpoint games before them). They were the sort of game I could
appreciate for their intent more than their actual implementation. I
just didn't find them fun to play, although I could see why others
might. And over the years I've managed to acquire and play all the
sequels. My opinion of the franchise doesn't really change regardless
of iteration, but I still feel obligated to give each game a try. One
day, I hope, the developers will find the formula that rings true to
me. Until then, I'm happy to keep supporting them as they quest
towards that goal.

Is "ARMA Reforger" that game?

Reviews aren't good, sadly. Apparently the new GUI is a point of
contention with a lot of users; 'consolified' seems to be the general
opinion. 'But worth playing after you apply a bunch of mods,' say
others. I'm torn.

Still, even at its reduced price (currently $25 USD) I'm not willing
to give the game the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure I will pick it up
eventually... but given my historical disappointment and the game's
poor reviews, even a 20% discount on an already cheap game isn't
enough to convince me to buy it.

I wonder what other games got released last year that I didn't
notice...