From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Firewatch - on sale on Steam
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 14:10:32 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 19:10 UTC

"Firewatch" is now available on Steam for $2 USD.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/383870/Firewatch/

I don't normally point out games just for being on sale. It's one
thing if they're free but on sale? If I did that I'd be posting a lot
more than I usually do... and I probably post too much already. But
I'm making an exception in this case. It's not only because it's a
really good sale 90% off is hard to beat!). It's not only because it's
a critically reviewed game. Mostly because it's a game I happen to
like a lot, and I think it deserves to get more recognition from
people who haven't played it yet.

It's understandable why it might get overlooked. "Firewatch" falls
squarely into "walking sim" territory and a lot of people look askance
at a genre where there's no real challenge. This isn't a game with
difficult puzzles or monsters you have to kill. You won't be making
any death-defying leaps or sneaking past guards to get somewhere
you're not supposed to be. It's not even about exploring vast
territories and finding something new over every hill. I totally
understand why a lot of people look at this game trying to figure out
what to do and say, "Why bother?"

Well, I could point out that its conversation system is quite
impressive from a technical standpoint (artistically, it's quite good
too, with some excellent voice-acting). The dialogue reacts very
realistically to not only WHAT you say, but when you say it... or even
if you don't say anything at all.

I could mention the beautiful - if somewhat stylistic - artistry of
the game's maps and wilderness. If you like hiking and nature, the
saturated greens and reds of the Wyoming forests and hills are
probably going to appeal to you.

It's also nice to play a game you can't, well, game. There is no
'winning' "Firewatch". You can't manipulate your way to a different
ending. It's a story, and none of your choices are going to change
anything except how you experience that tale. It's a low-pressure
entertainment, where you can unwind and enjoy it without worrying if
you missed an important secret or if your character build isn't
optimized, or if you can twitch fast enough to dodge the next
bullet-hell attack. It's a great change of pace from the usual.

But really, this is a game about its characters, and it uses them in a
very well-told story dealing with loss and grief. It's a very human
story, and it's touching and heartfelt without feeling too corny. Its
interactions - and the choices you can make - all feel very realistic
and down to earth. It's a wonderful change of pace from the hyperbolic
characterizations in other games.

And it's only $2 USD. So give the game a shot. It's well worth the
price of admission.