Science may someday discover what faith has always known.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

SubjectAuthor
* CRAP Poll: Useless KeysSpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysAnt
+* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysAnssi Saari
|+* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysH1M3M
||+- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysZaghadka
||`- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keyskyonshi
|`* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysJustisaur
| `* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keyscandycanearter07
|  `* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysSpalls Hurgenson
|   +* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysZaghadka
|   |`- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysSpalls Hurgenson
|   +* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keyscandycanearter07
|   |+- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysDimensional Traveler
|   |`- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysSpalls Hurgenson
|   `* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysAnt
|    `- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keyskyonshi
|+* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keyscandycanearter07
||`* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keyskyonshi
|| +* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keyscandycanearter07
|| |`- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysDimensional Traveler
|| `* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysZaghadka
||  `* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysJustisaur
||   `- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysZaghadka
|`- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysAnssi Saari
+* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysH1M3M
|+- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysZaghadka
|+* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysSpalls Hurgenson
||`- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keyscandycanearter07
|+- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysJustisaur
|`- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keyscandycanearter07
+* Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysZaghadka
|+- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysSpalls Hurgenson
|`- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysAnssi Saari
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysZaghadka
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keyscandycanearter07
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysMike S.
+- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysRin Stowleigh
`- Re: CRAP Poll: Useless KeysRoss Ridge

Pages:12
CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<c1qepi963l3rrgap01m1o58070p1lf0tvk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416844&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416844

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 21:46:37 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 02:46 UTC

Technically, this poll has nothing to do with action games, or games
in general. But since this newsgroup name starts with "comp" and it's
about computers, I think I'm still considered on-topic.

-----------------------------

Today's CRAP Poll is... What is the least used key on your keyboard?
It's a pretty simple question, albeit with one caveat. The question is
about the KEY and not the character, so if you never use the semicolon
but do use the regular colon, then you can't disavow the key that
contains both. The whole key has to be un(der)-used, not just the
character or function it calls.

Some options for you to consider:

:The WinKey
Oh, this fucker! You know how many games it hard-locked
back in the bad-old Win95 days when switching from
full-screen mode wasn't allowed?

:The Context-Menu Key
What the hell does this key do anyway (don't answer,
I actually know). But even if it has a function, does
anyone actually use it?

:The FN key
It doesn't make the computer more fun, that's for sure!*

:The SCRLK key
From back when computers used scrolls, I guess.*

:The PRTSC key
Or printers, for that matter.*

:The PAUSE key
I press it multiple times per day but never get
the much-needed break I deserve!*

:The F12 key
Nobody needs that many Function keys!

:The tilde key
Only cheaters pull up the console anyway!

:The right CTRL key
Why use right CTRL when the left one is just so
much more handy?

:The E key
Liar!

:Some other key
Be specific!

-----------------------------

So, as for myself, it's the silly context menu key (if you don't know
which one that is, it's usually the key between right ALT and right
CTRL. It more or less corresponds to a right-click with the mouse).**
Who needs it when you have a mouse, after all? FN key (which only
exists on my laptops) and right CTRL are pretty underused too. WinKey
gets a lot of use (it's great launching programs, either with a
keyboard shortcut, or pressing it and then typing in the program
name). Prtsc/Scrlk/Pause are all mapped to keyboard shortcuts so they
get a lot of use too. And F12 is my default "load last quicksave"
button in pretty much every game.

My Mac keyboard has an Eject button that never gets used, because the
Mac its plugged into doesn't have an optical drive. But since I almost
never use the Mac, almost all the keys on its board would qualify. ;-)

-----------------------------

So, what's your least used key? Or do you love them all equally, as
the keyboard gods intended?

-------------
* Yes, I know what all these keys REALLY do. Or at least, what they
were originally created for. So save yourself the effort of telling
me.
** Microsoft is intending to repurpose this key to launch its CoPilot
AI thingee on future computers. It's good to know this key will never
be used in the future too!

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<fbCdnQ6exMzHBAr4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416845&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416845

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 05:53:30 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 05:53 UTC

Num Lock and Pause|Break keys on my PC104 clicky keyboards. I still use
scroll lock key with my OmniCube KVM from Y2K!

--
"In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now..." ???Philippians 1:4-5. >8 hrs. of Z with 1 pee brk. 2 cold! 2024 isn't any betta.
| |o o| |

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<sm01qaw2p0f.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416846&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416846

From: anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 09:55:12 +0200
sha1:63WMipDV+i9kwPraaMen4LLauhw=
 by: Anssi Saari - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 07:55 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> writes:

> My Mac keyboard has an Eject button that never gets used, because the
> Mac its plugged into doesn't have an optical drive. But since I almost
> never use the Mac, almost all the keys on its board would qualify. ;-)
>
> -----------------------------
>

> So, what's your least used key? Or do you love them all equally, as
> the keyboard gods intended?

I have a bunch I never use, or almost never.
- Silly context menu key.
- Right CTRL next to it.
- Scroll lock.
- Fn lock. Because of course you got to have an Fn lock if you have an Fn key?
Except, why actually?
- Audio mute. I'd use that sometimes but it's a little low profile key
behind Pause/Break which I didn't remember was there and it's not visible.
- Hey, there's a mic mute there too! That might be useful as well.
- Pause/Break, what does it do again??
- Keyboard mode toggle. It's an idea that seems OK and this keyboard came with
two modes, by default the gaming mode disables the Windows key. It's a
cool idea but apparently I've learned not to hit the Windows key by accident.

Print screen I actually use sometimes for screenshots although usually
windows-shift-s for snipping is more convenient. And I can never
remember which combination takes a screenshot and saves it into a
file but that uses print screen. I think.

Oh, Fn key on this keyboard gives access to some media keys but in
practice I use only volume up and down.

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un8i21$3sad$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416847&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416847

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 10:27:31 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:27 UTC

On 1/5/2024 3:46 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Technically, this poll has nothing to do with action games, or games
> in general. But since this newsgroup name starts with "comp" and it's
> about computers, I think I'm still considered on-topic.
>
> -----------------------------
>
> Today's CRAP Poll is... What is the least used key on your keyboard?

CAPSLOCK. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY IT'S EVEN THERE. NEVER USE IT MYSELF.

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un924f$61vj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416848&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416848

From: wipnoah@gmail.com (H1M3M)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:01:50 +0100
 by: H1M3M - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:01 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> :The WinKey Oh, this fucker! You know how many games it hard-locked
> back in the bad-old Win95 days when switching from full-screen mode
> wasn't allowed?

Accidentally touch it, your Dos game turns into a black screen audio
only nightmare. Sigh. Nowadays it's one of my most used keys. Win+Space
for alternating between the three keyboard layouts I use, Win+P for the
screen modes.

> :The Context-Menu Key What the hell does this key do anyway (don't
> answer, I actually know). But even if it has a function, does anyone
> actually use it?

Oh, that's the name? I usually call it "the right mouse click key".
Useful when I don't have a mouse.

> :The FN key It doesn't make the computer more fun, that's for sure!*

Nothing makes me more miserable than a keyboard where you need to press
the FN to use F1-F12 because without it they are multimedia keys by
default (logitech Mediacenter keyboard with touch pad)

> :The SCRLK key From back when computers used scrolls, I guess.*

Actually very useful in Excel and PowerBi to scroll through the document

> :The PRTSC key Or printers, for that matter.*

> :The PAUSE key I press it multiple times per day but never get the
> much-needed break I deserve!*

This may be the most useless one. I don't think I have ever seen it work.

> :The F12 key Nobody needs that many Function keys!
Dev tools in web browser, screenshots in Steam. Nowadays I use it more
than F5 to open the console and see what is wrong with the current website

> :The tilde key Only cheaters pull up the console anyway!
It's the backlash key in ISO keyboards, so pretty useful.

> :The right CTRL key Why use right CTRL when the left one is just so
> much more handy?
We were discussing this today. If you only have one hand and need to do
CTRL+ALT+DELETE, you are going to neeed it.

> :The E key Liar!
*Looks down at cheap OEM keyboard to see which keys are shinier.

> :Some other key Be specific!

I'm gonna nominate...
:The F1 key
It used to be "Help", but nowadays it's more like a shortcut to
opening Chromium Edge that can't changed. Except for Seamonkey,
Freecommander and it does not open the help on any other application.

:The key that is at the left of Z in an ISO keyboard
All it is useful
for is giving you pinky cramps when trying to reach a shortened Left Shift

:The INS key
Touch it accidentally, and the behaviour in a text processor changes
from insert to overwrite. this was not fun if you never learnt touch
typing and were looking at the keyboard instead of the screen

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un92ie$63u3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416849&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416849

From: wipnoah@gmail.com (H1M3M)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:09:17 +0100
 by: H1M3M - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:09 UTC

Anssi Saari wrote:

> - Fn lock. Because of course you got to have an Fn lock if you have
> an Fn key? Except, why actually?
Keyboards that merge the numbers with the Function keys, like mine. I
could use a Fn Lock key, but because I don't have it, I have an
Autohotkey Script to turn the number row into an FN row depending on
what work I have to do.

> - Keyboard mode toggle. It's an idea that seems OK and this keyboard
> came with two modes, by default the gaming mode disables the Windows
> key. It's a cool idea but apparently I've learned not to hit the
> Windows key by accident.

In some Logitech Gaming keyboards, this was a left/right switch. Useful
in theory, but due to the same reason, I never needed it.

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<am2gpidoio26h9vc5l14uqa1avcfpbnr36@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416850&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416850

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 08:22:16 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:22 UTC

On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 21:46:37 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>Today's CRAP Poll is... What is the least used key on your keyboard?
>It's a pretty simple question, albeit with one caveat. The question is
>about the KEY and not the character, so if you never use the semicolon
>but do use the regular colon, then you can't disavow the key that
>contains both. The whole key has to be un(der)-used, not just the
>character or function it calls.

Right ALT. The hell do you use *that* for? I can't even *reach* right ALT
without awkwardness and/or cramps, let alone have a use for it. Make that
the Copilot, flavor-of-the-month, nonsense key, please.

Menu key is runner up but gets pressed sometimes. Maybe five times in the
last five years if I have mouse troubles and have to go all keyboard to
fix it. It's a good emergency key if you're mouseless for some reason.

Vbox uses right CTRL as the host's "system" key, so that one is useful.

Other semi-useless keys:

Insert: Why would anyone *want* to press this? The only time I ever do so
is by accident, and then it takes 15 seconds to figure out what's
happened. Do we count accidental keypresses as using it? No? Then this is
the most useless key ever because accidental use causes actual HARM.

Pause/Break: Only ever used for Win+PAUSE, to bring up sysinfo. People
look at me like I have a third eye in my forehead when I do this.
Followed by an exclamation of "How did you do that?!"

Extended Logitech key: Email. I never press the email key to bring up my
email program. I can't think of something to remap it to for my
convenience. Maybe Control Panel?

Hey yeah! This actually wasn't CRAP. I just mapped it to my Control Panel
and that *is* of use since there's no Win+?? shortcut any longer and
putting a sequence into the shortcut always gets reset on major update.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<954gpi11bn3av70i2qtt34lmm17hc2nb80@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416851&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416851

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 08:24:18 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:24 UTC

On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:09:17 +0100, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, H1M3M
wrote:

>Anssi Saari wrote:
>
>> - Fn lock. Because of course you got to have an Fn lock if you have
>> an Fn key? Except, why actually?
>Keyboards that merge the numbers with the Function keys, like mine. I
>could use a Fn Lock key, but because I don't have it, I have an
>Autohotkey Script to turn the number row into an FN row depending on
>what work I have to do.

Yeah, it's critical on my laptops because I BIOS map the F keys to be
function, rather than the shortcut control keys. I use function keys far
more often. But sometimes I want those keys (volume up, brightness,
whatever), and then it's much easier on your hands if you can lock it.

I wish my laptops had it, but HP doesn't roll that way.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<3a4gpi1u57djmvel3pqissk2mgj28h20vo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416852&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416852

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 08:27:01 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:27 UTC

On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:01:50 +0100, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, H1M3M
wrote:

>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>
>> :The FN key It doesn't make the computer more fun, that's for sure!*
>>
>Nothing makes me more miserable than a keyboard where you need to press
>the FN to use F1-F12 because without it they are multimedia keys by
>default (logitech Mediacenter keyboard with touch pad)

If that's an external keyboard, you can probably map the inverse in its
control app. Logi Options+ or whatever.

For an actual laptop internal keyboard, you can generally map it in CMOS.
Good luck getting to CMOS; I always have to Google it

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<5i4gpidq9qj73ptvpd6e8jrqev6a7tshgi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416853&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416853

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 08:29:59 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:29 UTC

You skipped right ALT. Probably because you forgot it exists due to its
complete worthlessness.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un949c$6a6t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416854&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416854

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:38:39 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:38 UTC

On 1/5/2024 3:09 PM, H1M3M wrote:
> Anssi Saari wrote:
>
>> - Fn lock. Because of course you got to have an Fn lock if you have an
>> Fn key? Except, why actually?
> Keyboards that merge the numbers with the Function keys, like mine. I
> could use a Fn Lock key, but because I don't have it, I have an
> Autohotkey Script to turn the number row into an FN row depending on
> what work I have to do.

ugh, right, my old laptop has that. it is terrible trying to figure out
what you have to press when you need it RIGHT THIS MOMENT

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<a29gpihp8ano15q2htgijir4q73qiu1bfq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416857&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416857

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 10:54:11 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:54 UTC

On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:01:50 +0100, H1M3M <wipnoah@gmail.com> wrote:

>> :The PAUSE key I press it multiple times per day but never get the
>> much-needed break I deserve!*

>This may be the most useless one. I don't think I have ever seen it work.

I use PAUSE a lot... just not on its own. WinKey+PAUSE opens up the
system information window (or Device Manager on earlier versions),
which is a useful shortcut when troubleshooting.

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<fs9gpilfj2en0naf0kevuohn553mdrrkk6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416858&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416858

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 11:07:07 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 16:07 UTC

On Fri, 05 Jan 2024 08:22:16 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Insert: Why would anyone *want* to press this? The only time I ever do so
>is by accident, and then it takes 15 seconds to figure out what's
>happened. Do we count accidental keypresses as using it? No? Then this is
>the most useless key ever because accidental use causes actual HARM.

I find the INSERT key (and its neighbors, DEL,HOME,END,PGUP,PGDN)
albeit not for their intended functions. They're incredibly useful in
games, where I can map them to semi-frequently used commands. Because
the keys are isolated in their own block, it's easier to jab at them
than if the commands were mapped to some random key amongst the other
alphanumerics.

Functionally, though, INS lost a lot of its native utility once we all
got computer mice and could easily highlight/delete the text we wanted
to replace. I still use the key for its intended purpose on occassion
when I know I've some text I'm going to overwrite and want to keep the
general formatting/layout.

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un9b36$7b2q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416860&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416860

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 08:34:44 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 16:34 UTC

On 1/4/2024 11:55 PM, Anssi Saari wrote:
> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> My Mac keyboard has an Eject button that never gets used, because the
>> Mac its plugged into doesn't have an optical drive. But since I almost
>> never use the Mac, almost all the keys on its board would qualify. ;-)
>>
>> -----------------------------
>>

>> So, what's your least used key? Or do you love them all equally, as
>> the keyboard gods intended?
>
> I have a bunch I never use, or almost never.
> - Silly context menu key.

I didn't even know what this was. I don't think I've ever used it.
I've at least used every other key at some point, ever if it was ages
ago. This is my winner (or loser)

> - Right CTRL next to it.

I use that all the time ctrl-alt-del with the right hand only.

> - Scroll lock.

It's been a couple years,

> - Fn lock. Because of course you got to have an Fn lock if you have an Fn key?
> Except, why actually?

I don't think my current kb has a fn lock. I have used the FN key at
least. It's rare, but I did just this week to set the colors to the
left spectrum for less blue eye-sore in light. Oh work laptop has one,
but it's sub the left shift, not a dedicated key

> - Audio mute. I'd use that sometimes but it's a little low profile key

I don't think I have this one either? Oh, I do on my work laptop, but I
don't remember using that as it's too high up and I don't remember it's
there. I have had to turn it back on when I've (or a customer on
their's) accidentally hit it, literally more trouble than it's worth to
even be on the KB. I do have a mic mute button on a puck on my
headphones, also useful.

> - Pause/Break, what does it do again??

Useful in command windows on occasion, or in dosbox games.

> - Keyboard mode toggle. It's an idea that seems OK and this keyboard came with
> two modes, by default the gaming mode disables the Windows key. It's a
> cool idea but apparently I've learned not to hit the Windows key by accident.

I don't think I have that either.

> Print screen I actually use sometimes for screenshots although usually
> windows-shift-s for snipping is more convenient.

I have used print screen, but I usually forget it's there too, and bring
up snipping tool now.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un9bfo$7b2q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416861&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416861

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 08:41:28 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 16:41 UTC

On 1/5/2024 6:01 AM, H1M3M wrote:

> :The INS key
> Touch it accidentally, and the behaviour in a text processor changes
> from insert to overwrite. this was not fun if you never learnt touch
> typing and were looking at the keyboard instead of the screen

I have used it for it's intended purpose but that's about 1 time per
1000 I've somehow changed to overwrite and need to change it back.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un9mof$8ug3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416862&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416862

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:53:51 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 19:53 UTC

On 1/4/24 20:46, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Technically, this poll has nothing to do with action games, or games
> in general. But since this newsgroup name starts with "comp" and it's
> about computers, I think I'm still considered on-topic.
>
> -----------------------------
>
> Today's CRAP Poll is... What is the least used key on your keyboard?
> It's a pretty simple question, albeit with one caveat. The question is
> about the KEY and not the character, so if you never use the semicolon
> but do use the regular colon, then you can't disavow the key that
> contains both. The whole key has to be un(der)-used, not just the
> character or function it calls.
>
> Some options for you to consider:
>
> :The WinKey
> Oh, this fucker! You know how many games it hard-locked
> back in the bad-old Win95 days when switching from
> full-screen mode wasn't allowed?

Probably Win-Key, since I use Linux and haven't bound it to anything.

> :The Context-Menu Key
> What the hell does this key do anyway (don't answer,
> I actually know). But even if it has a function, does
> anyone actually use it?

I don't even have a context menu key so ha!

> :The FN key
> It doesn't make the computer more fun, that's for sure!*

I use the media buttons on my laptop (at least the volume ones) a lot,
and I have the FnLock on so the keys act like Function keys by default so

> :The SCRLK key
> From back when computers used scrolls, I guess.*

No ScrollLock key either! somehow

> :The PRTSC key
> Or printers, for that matter.*

I have it bound to screenshot.

> :The PAUSE key
> I press it multiple times per day but never get
> the much-needed break I deserve!*

No Pause key.

> :The F12 key
> Nobody needs that many Function keys!

Maybe F12? I can't think of any specific application that uses it.. But
I'm sure it's invaluable to someone.

> :The tilde key
> Only cheaters pull up the console anyway!

It's so much faster to use tilde than typing out $HOME.

> :The right CTRL key
> Why use right CTRL when the left one is just so
> much more handy?

Some keybinds (Like ctrl+alt+arrow) are easier to do with the right
control, plus you can do it with one hand!

> :The E key
> Liar!

E is the most common letter in English, I think? Soo... yea.

> :Some other key
> Be specific!
>
> -----------------------------
>
> So, as for myself, it's the silly context menu key (if you don't know
> which one that is, it's usually the key between right ALT and right
> CTRL. It more or less corresponds to a right-click with the mouse).**
> Who needs it when you have a mouse, after all? FN key (which only
> exists on my laptops) and right CTRL are pretty underused too. WinKey
> gets a lot of use (it's great launching programs, either with a
> keyboard shortcut, or pressing it and then typing in the program
> name). Prtsc/Scrlk/Pause are all mapped to keyboard shortcuts so they
> get a lot of use too. And F12 is my default "load last quicksave"
> button in pretty much every game.
>
> My Mac keyboard has an Eject button that never gets used, because the
> Mac its plugged into doesn't have an optical drive. But since I almost
> never use the Mac, almost all the keys on its board would qualify. ;-)
>
> -----------------------------
>

> So, what's your least used key? Or do you love them all equally, as
> the keyboard gods intended?
>

> -------------
> * Yes, I know what all these keys REALLY do. Or at least, what they
> were originally created for. So save yourself the effort of telling
> me.
> ** Microsoft is intending to repurpose this key to launch its CoPilot
> AI thingee on future computers. It's good to know this key will never
> be used in the future too!

For once, MS is employing consistency!

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un9mut$8ug3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416863&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416863

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:57:17 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 19:57 UTC

On 1/5/24 10:34, Justisaur wrote:
> On 1/4/2024 11:55 PM, Anssi Saari wrote:
>> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> My Mac keyboard has an Eject button that never gets used, because the
>>> Mac its plugged into doesn't have an optical drive. But since I almost
>>> never use the Mac, almost all the keys on its board would qualify. ;-)
>>>
>>> -----------------------------
>>>

>>> So, what's your least used key? Or do you love them all equally, as
>>> the keyboard gods intended?
>>
>> I have a bunch I never use, or almost never.
>> - Silly context menu key.
>
> I didn't even know what this was.  I don't think I've ever used it. I've
> at least used every other key at some point, ever if it was ages ago.
> This is my winner (or loser)

I think it's bound either Right Click or it moves your focus to the File
menu.

>> - Right CTRL next to it.
>
> I use that all the time ctrl-alt-del with the right hand only.
>
>> - Scroll lock.
>
> It's been a couple years,
>
>> - Fn lock. Because of course you got to have an Fn lock if you have an
>> Fn key?
>>    Except, why actually?
>
> I don't think my current kb has a fn lock.  I have used the FN key at
> least.  It's rare, but I did just this week to set the colors to the
> left spectrum for less blue eye-sore in light.  Oh work laptop has one,
> but it's sub the left shift, not a dedicated key
>
>> - Audio mute. I'd use that sometimes but it's a little low profile key
>
> I don't think I have this one either?  Oh, I do on my work laptop, but I
> don't remember using that as it's too high up and I don't remember it's
> there.  I have had to turn it back on when I've (or a customer on
> their's) accidentally hit it, literally more trouble than it's worth to
> even be on the KB.   I do have a mic mute button on a puck on my
> headphones, also useful.
>
>> - Pause/Break, what does it do again??
>
> Useful in command windows on occasion, or in dosbox games.

You could always rebind it probably.

>> - Keyboard mode toggle. It's an idea that seems OK and this keyboard
>> came with
>>    two modes, by default the gaming mode disables the Windows key. It's a
>>    cool idea but apparently I've learned not to hit the Windows key by
>> accident.
>>

> I don't think I have that either.
>
>> Print screen I actually use sometimes for screenshots although usually
>> windows-shift-s for snipping is more convenient.
>
> I have used print screen, but I usually forget it's there too, and bring
> up snipping tool now.

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un9n03$8ug3$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416864&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416864

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:57:55 -0600

On 1/5/24 03:27, kyonshi wrote:
> On 1/5/2024 3:46 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>
>> Technically, this poll has nothing to do with action games, or games
>> in general. But since this newsgroup name starts with "comp" and it's
>> about computers, I think I'm still considered on-topic.
>>
>> -----------------------------
>>
>> Today's CRAP Poll is... What is the least used key on your keyboard?
>
> CAPSLOCK. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY IT'S EVEN THERE. NEVER USE IT MYSELF.

Is this supposed to be ironic or are you actually holding down the Shift
key for everything?

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un9n5e$948c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416865&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416865

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:59:18 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 19:59 UTC

On 1/5/24 09:54, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:01:50 +0100, H1M3M <wipnoah@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> :The PAUSE key I press it multiple times per day but never get the
>>> much-needed break I deserve!*
>
>> This may be the most useless one. I don't think I have ever seen it work.
>
> I use PAUSE a lot... just not on its own. WinKey+PAUSE opens up the
> system information window (or Device Manager on earlier versions),
> which is a useful shortcut when troubleshooting.

Good to know! If I need it, of course.

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un9n90$948c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416866&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416866

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:02:39 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:02 UTC

On 1/5/24 08:01, H1M3M wrote:
> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> :The Context-Menu Key What the hell does this key do anyway (don't
>> answer, I actually know). But even if it has a function, does anyone
>> actually use it?
>
> Oh, that's the name? I usually call it "the right mouse click key".
> Useful when I don't have a mouse.

I'm pretty sure Windows has a mode for controlling the mouse with your
keyboard? The only bad thing is it relies on your numpad, so if you
don't have one then too bad.

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un9nh5$93n9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416868&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416868

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 21:07:04 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:07 UTC

On 1/5/2024 8:57 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 1/5/24 03:27, kyonshi wrote:
>> On 1/5/2024 3:46 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>>
>>> Technically, this poll has nothing to do with action games, or games
>>> in general. But since this newsgroup name starts with "comp" and it's
>>> about computers, I think I'm still considered on-topic.
>>>
>>> -----------------------------
>>>
>>> Today's CRAP Poll is... What is the least used key on your keyboard?
>>
>> CAPSLOCK. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY IT'S EVEN THERE. NEVER USE IT MYSELF.
>
> Is this supposed to be ironic or are you actually holding down the Shift
> key for everything?

it was in fact a poor attempt at a joke

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un9nru$948c$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416869&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416869

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:12:45 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:12 UTC

On 1/5/24 14:07, kyonshi wrote:
> On 1/5/2024 8:57 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:

>>> CAPSLOCK. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY IT'S EVEN THERE. NEVER USE IT MYSELF.
>>
>> Is this supposed to be ironic or are you actually holding down the
>> Shift key for everything?
>
> it was in fact a poor attempt at a joke

Oh, ok!

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<un9qag$9hru$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416870&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416870

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 12:54:42 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:54 UTC

On 1/5/2024 12:12 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 1/5/24 14:07, kyonshi wrote:

>>> Is this supposed to be ironic or are you actually holding down the
>>> Shift key for everything?
>>
>> it was in fact a poor attempt at a joke
>
> Oh, ok!

"I don't know what a bullhorn is or how to use one", he shouted through
a bullhorn.

dirty old man.

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<u8rgpitvs1lhdalc6o9ahs2fu33cu32gke@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416871&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416871

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 14:57:38 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:57 UTC

On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 21:07:04 +0100, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
kyonshi wrote:

>On 1/5/2024 8:57 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:

>>> CAPSLOCK. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY IT'S EVEN THERE. NEVER USE IT MYSELF.
>>
>> Is this supposed to be ironic or are you actually holding down the Shift
>> key for everything?
>
>it was in fact a poor attempt at a joke

Jokes are funnier when you're not SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS
UNTIL YOU START FOAMING AT THE MOUTH AND FALLING OVER BACKWARDS! :^D

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: CRAP Poll: Useless Keys

<4rnipi5314eg01vgmqol4es6eiug10iubm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416875&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416875

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 09:29:31 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 14:29 UTC

On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:57:17 -0600, candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net>
wrote:

>On 1/5/24 10:34, Justisaur wrote:

>>> I have a bunch I never use, or almost never.
>>> - Silly context menu key.
>>
>> I didn't even know what this was.  I don't think I've ever used it. I've
>> at least used every other key at some point, ever if it was ages ago.
>> This is my winner (or loser)
>
>I think it's bound either Right Click or it moves your focus to the File
>menu.

(long pointlessly pedantic ramble)

More specifically, it opens the context menu.

So, let's go back to 1995. Microsoft has just released Windows 95. A
big thing about Windows95 - one of the features Microsoft crowed about
- was how its OS (or desktop, at least) was 'object oriented'. In DOS,
everything was program oriented; you opened the program, then opened
the file, then did whatever you needed, then closed the file and moved
onto the next one. And it wasn't just files that had to be manipulated
this way; configuration settings required you to open separate apps
too.

Windows95 was supposed to be transformational in this regard. Need to
open a file? Just double-click on the file itself and its associated
program would open. Use the file frequently? Point a shortcut to the
file - not the program! - and drag it to your desktop. Etc.

But more than that, you would be able to manipulate files and settings
easily and conveniently using 'context menus' that let you access
features - including by not limited to copying, pasting, renaming, and
printing - without going through the associated program. As the name
implies, the menu that popped up would change depending on the context
of what you clicked. The context menu of a WAV file might have a
"play" option; a DOC file might have print, etc.

Microsoft was /really/ excited about this feature. So much so that
they wanted everybody to be able to use it... including people who
might not be comfortable with a mouse, or whose mouse only had one
button (yes, those were still common, if not the majority, on PCs in
1995). So they convinced hardware manufacturers to add the context
menu key to keyboards (it was also a way of advertising how 'modern'
Windows95 was; you needed a new keyboard to maximize its utility! That
old IBM Model M just wouldn't cut it for something as high-end as
Windows95! ;-).

Where it was promptly ignored by users. Partly because it was in an
inconvenient place, but mostly because the people who were most likely
to use it also owned a two-button mouse and it was just simpler to
right click.

(Side note: there are a distressing number of computer users - of all
ages - who still haven't discovered right-click functionality. It
hurts my brain whenever I encounter them.)

So technically, the context menu button is NOT the equivalent of a
right-mouse click. It almost never will act as a right-mouse click in
applications that use the right-mouse for something else. Rather, it
is a key that Explorer (and many Windows apps) maps to 'open context
menu'), which is also mapped to the right mouse button. But they're
really completely different signals.

(Another side note: SHIFT-F10 usually works too. Click on your desktop
and try it!)

Myself, I use it very rarely... but I /have/ used it. Sometimes, when
the mouse is broken or not plugged in, it comes in handy. But even
Microsoft seems to think its pretty useless, seeing as they are
apparently changing its functionality to launch the CoPilot AI
asssistant in future versions of Windows.

>> I have used print screen, but I usually forget it's there too, and bring
>> up snipping tool now.

PRTSCR for taking a screenshot of the whole desktop, ALT-PRTSCR for
just the active window. I rarel