Obviously I was either onto something, or on something. -- Larry Wall on the creation of Perl

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on Steam

SubjectAuthor
* Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on SteamMetal Guru
+* Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on SteamSpalls Hurgenson
|`* Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on SteamDimensional Traveler
| `* Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on SteamSpalls Hurgenson
|  `* Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on SteamDimensional Traveler
|   `- Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on SteamXocyll
`- Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on Steamrms

1
Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on Steam

<um862r$2e2ue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416593&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416593

From: metalguru.usa@proton.me (Metal Guru)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on Steam
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 02:46:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Metal Guru - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 02:46 UTC

Claim DLC and included base game here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/277754/The_Game_of_Gnomes/

Then check your library, game and DLC will be there:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/Train_Simulator_Classic/

Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on Steam

<t4lgoi5lomre8h85e3d8l71qj63cel0ks1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416605&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416605

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:00:08 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 16:00 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 02:46:51 -0000 (UTC), "Metal Guru"
<metalguru.usa@proton.me> wrote:

>Claim DLC and included base game here:
>
>https://store.steampowered.com/app/277754/The_Game_of_Gnomes/
>
>Then check your library, game and DLC will be there:
>
>https://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/Train_Simulator_Classic/

It's a yearly thing, the giving away of "Train Simulator Classic" on
Steam. Usually, they're a bit more gracious with the free DLC though.
Over the years, I've managed to accumulate 52 DLC packs for the game
without paying a cent.

(Well, 53 now.)

I'm not a particular fan of "Train Simulator", but for people who
enjoy that sort of thing, I suppose it's a good game. But the
publisher's business model is absolutely gross. They give away an
extremely stripped down base game, but to get all the DLC would
literally cost THOUSANDS of dollars. It's disgustingly predatory.

Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on Steam

<um9ols$2l3lr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416612&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416612

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:10:21 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 17:10 UTC

On 12/24/2023 8:00 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 02:46:51 -0000 (UTC), "Metal Guru"
> <metalguru.usa@proton.me> wrote:
>

>> Claim DLC and included base game here:
>>
>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/277754/The_Game_of_Gnomes/
>>
>> Then check your library, game and DLC will be there:
>>
>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/Train_Simulator_Classic/
>

> It's a yearly thing, the giving away of "Train Simulator Classic" on
> Steam. Usually, they're a bit more gracious with the free DLC though.
> Over the years, I've managed to accumulate 52 DLC packs for the game
> without paying a cent.
>
> (Well, 53 now.)
>
> I'm not a particular fan of "Train Simulator", but for people who
> enjoy that sort of thing, I suppose it's a good game. But the
> publisher's business model is absolutely gross. They give away an
> extremely stripped down base game, but to get all the DLC would
> literally cost THOUSANDS of dollars. It's disgustingly predatory.

Like Euro Truck Simulator and the US version of that? ;)

dirty old man.

Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on Steam

<43sgoil7p0u5bjdgtni892e3abvktiv4l0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416615&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416615

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:59:12 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 17:59 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:10:21 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 12/24/2023 8:00 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>> I'm not a particular fan of "Train Simulator", but for people who
>> enjoy that sort of thing, I suppose it's a good game. But the
>> publisher's business model is absolutely gross. They give away an
>> extremely stripped down base game, but to get all the DLC would
>> literally cost THOUSANDS of dollars. It's disgustingly predatory.

>Like Euro Truck Simulator and the US version of that? ;)

Shut up! I don't need your facts and logic to point out my hypocrisy!
;-)

But... yes. And with "TheHunter: Call of the Wild" too, which is also
a game where I sadly own too much DLC. Although, honestly, "Train
Simulator" is far-and-above worse than all those games combined. Its
DLC content is shallow, small and poorly made*, and there's waaaay too
much of it. At least with most of SCS's Truck Sim DLC, I'm usually
satisfied with what they provide.

I still find it all sort of predatory. Remember when you bought a game
and you got a full game?**

------------------------
* "The food here is terrible... and such small portions too!"
** Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on Steam

<umb38o$2uncf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416630&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416630

From: rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 22:17:10 -0700
 by: rms - Mon, 25 Dec 2023 05:17 UTC

Got it! Thx Metal Guru!

rms

Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on Steam

<umb73p$2v1i0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416632&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416632

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 22:22:53 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 25 Dec 2023 06:22 UTC

On 12/24/2023 9:59 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:10:21 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> On 12/24/2023 8:00 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>

>>> I'm not a particular fan of "Train Simulator", but for people who
>>> enjoy that sort of thing, I suppose it's a good game. But the
>>> publisher's business model is absolutely gross. They give away an
>>> extremely stripped down base game, but to get all the DLC would
>>> literally cost THOUSANDS of dollars. It's disgustingly predatory.
>

>> Like Euro Truck Simulator and the US version of that? ;)
>
> Shut up! I don't need your facts and logic to point out my hypocrisy!
> ;-)
>
> But... yes. And with "TheHunter: Call of the Wild" too, which is also
> a game where I sadly own too much DLC. Although, honestly, "Train
> Simulator" is far-and-above worse than all those games combined. Its
> DLC content is shallow, small and poorly made*, and there's waaaay too
> much of it. At least with most of SCS's Truck Sim DLC, I'm usually
> satisfied with what they provide.
>
> I still find it all sort of predatory. Remember when you bought a game
> and you got a full game?**

Well, I remember getting add-on's that today would be called DLCs for
Wing Commander which was, um, 30+ years ago soooo, only barely.

> ------------------------
> * "The food here is terrible... and such small portions too!"
> ** Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Its amazing a plot of land can remember anything.

dirty old man.

Re: Train Simulator Classic and The Game of Gnomes DLC FREE on Steam

<6lpooip342hpk0leqkhs1gakbcr8bglna0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111416709&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111416709

From: Xocyll@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 13:03:29 -0500
 by: Xocyll - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 18:03 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> looked up from reading the
say:

>On 12/24/2023 9:59 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:10:21 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Like Euro Truck Simulator and the US version of that? ;)
>>
>> Shut up! I don't need your facts and logic to point out my hypocrisy!
>> ;-)
>>
>> But... yes. And with "TheHunter: Call of the Wild" too, which is also
>> a game where I sadly own too much DLC. Although, honestly, "Train
>> Simulator" is far-and-above worse than all those games combined. Its
>> DLC content is shallow, small and poorly made*, and there's waaaay too
>> much of it. At least with most of SCS's Truck Sim DLC, I'm usually
>> satisfied with what they provide.
>>
>> I still find it all sort of predatory. Remember when you bought a game
>> and you got a full game?**
>>
>Well, I remember getting add-on's that today would be called DLCs for
>Wing Commander which was, um, 30+ years ago soooo, only barely.

Yeah but those addons were an entire new campaign.
For WC1+2 anyway, never had 3 or 4.
Privateer's addon also added quite a bit of extra play as I recall.

Xocyll