What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expect generally happens. -- Bengamin Disraeli

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Not to always pick on the big guys - Gloomhavem

SubjectAuthor
* Not to always pick on the big guys - GloomhavemJAB
+* Re: Not to always pick on the big guys - GloomhavemSpalls Hurgenson
|+- Re: Not to always pick on the big guys - Gloomhavemcandycanearter07
|`- Re: Not to always pick on the big guys - GloomhavemJAB
`- Re: Not to always pick on the big guys - GloomhavemPW

1
Not to always pick on the big guys - Gloomhavem

<uecci0$2d2dn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111414988&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111414988

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Not to always pick on the big guys - Gloomhavem
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:51:41 +0100
 by: JAB - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:51 UTC

They released a big update (lot's of bug fixes and a few new features)
and the General Discussions section on Steam has been somewhat active
with a lot of reports of this is now unplayable. On a positive note, a
dev. has created a pinned thread to say please report all you problems
with tickets so we can get a hotfix released as soon as possible.

Re: Not to always pick on the big guys - Gloomhavem

<fvkjgitmihn6m981j7g142o51drm59b81i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111414991&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111414991

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Not to always pick on the big guys - Gloomhavem
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:11:25 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:11 UTC

On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:51:41 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>They released a big update (lot's of bug fixes and a few new features)
>and the General Discussions section on Steam has been somewhat active
>with a lot of reports of this is now unplayable. On a positive note, a
>dev. has created a pinned thread to say please report all you problems
>with tickets so we can get a hotfix released as soon as possible.

I'm much more forgiving of problems with that with smaller publishers.
Not only don't they have the same resources to adequately test their
patches, but they often are under a lot more financial pressure to
release. Companies like Activision - or Blizzard or Raven or King
Digital or Infinity Ward - have enough savings that a week or month
(or year!) long delay won't sink the company. That's not true of many
smaller developers, funded directly by their owners, where a small
delay might literally cost them their house.

So while I'd happily review-bomb Electronic Arts - or Respawn or
PopCap or Maxis - for pushing out a buggy game or patch on day-one,
I'd be much more patient with a smaller developer. Especially if it is
obvious they are working on the problem.

TL;DR: the patch released yesterday, the game's getting review-bombed
on Steam, and I think it's unfair. ;-)

Re: Not to always pick on the big guys - Gloomhavem

<qbojgitj4mbbqpar9at1058irtcdsjs1kd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111414992&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111414992

From: iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:00:34 -0600
 by: PW - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 18:00 UTC

On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:51:41 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>They released a big update (lot's of bug fixes and a few new features)
>and the General Discussions section on Steam has been somewhat active
>with a lot of reports of this is now unplayable. On a positive note, a
>dev. has created a pinned thread to say please report all you problems
>with tickets so we can get a hotfix released as soon as possible.

*--

I have it. Bought it a long time ago but never triied it (surprise!
:-)). But I did write myself a note last week to play it!

Funny!

-pw

Re: Not to always pick on the big guys - Gloomhavem

<uecum6$2gdrj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111414993&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111414993

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:01:09 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 20:01 UTC

On 9/19/23 13:00, PW wrote:

> I'm much more forgiving of problems with that with smaller publishers.
> Not only don't they have the same resources to adequately test their
> patches, but they often are under a lot more financial pressure to
> release. Companies like Activision - or Blizzard or Raven or King
> Digital or Infinity Ward - have enough savings that a week or month
> (or year!) long delay won't sink the company. That's not true of many
> smaller developers, funded directly by their owners, where a small
> delay might literally cost them their house.

Plus, how much they actually care about the mistakes. The big companies
make these big mistakes so many times in a row that it feels wrong.

Re: Not to always pick on the big guys - Gloomhavem

<ueedfn$2sa4h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111414994&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111414994

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:19:46 +0100
 by: JAB - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:19 UTC

On 19/09/2023 18:11, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:51:41 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>
>> They released a big update (lot's of bug fixes and a few new features)
>> and the General Discussions section on Steam has been somewhat active
>> with a lot of reports of this is now unplayable. On a positive note, a
>> dev. has created a pinned thread to say please report all you problems
>> with tickets so we can get a hotfix released as soon as possible.
>

> I'm much more forgiving of problems with that with smaller publishers.
> Not only don't they have the same resources to adequately test their
> patches, but they often are under a lot more financial pressure to
> release. Companies like Activision - or Blizzard or Raven or King
> Digital or Infinity Ward - have enough savings that a week or month
> (or year!) long delay won't sink the company. That's not true of many
> smaller developers, funded directly by their owners, where a small
> delay might literally cost them their house.
>
> So while I'd happily review-bomb Electronic Arts - or Respawn or
> PopCap or Maxis - for pushing out a buggy game or patch on day-one,
> I'd be much more patient with a smaller developer. Especially if it is
> obvious they are working on the problem.
>

> TL;DR: the patch released yesterday, the game's getting review-bombed
> on Steam, and I think it's unfair. ;-)

I tend to agree although from the sounds of things it looks like they've
really dropped the ball on this one for whatever reasons. My view has
always been though I can accept mistakes, almost however bad, as long as
the company owns up to it being a mistake and they they are very
proactive in fixing whatever is wrong.

Why this happened, not sure but there is speculation that getting it
running on consoles was outsourced and this is what they ended up with.
That could tie in with corner cutting to get it out there by a set date
no matter what.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Not to always pick on the big guys - Gloomhavem