From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: FREE GAME: 911 Operator
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 11:01:05 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:01 UTC

Last week I asked ChatGPT to write a poem about EpicGames and its
freebies. This week I'm going to write my own. Let's see. Ahem. Here
we go.

Epic games is just like a store
Except that they have no door.
They give you some games for free;
That's really cool, we all agree.
And now they have a shopping cart
So that they don't stand apart
From other stores like competitor Steam
Which have a better development team.
Epic Games: where you get games for free
A place for cheapskates like you and me!

Truly, a masterpiece for the ages and a sure sign that human
creativity will always win out over computer-generated drivel! ;-)

Oh, wait, you're not here for another epic paean about... erm... Epic,
but for the free game? Well, okay. This week we get:

* 911 Operator
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/911-operator-585edd
A management sim where you take on the role of an emergency services
dispatcher, sending out police, fire and medical teams in response to
phone-in calls of distress. Simple in concept and design, it's
surprisingly fun but - at least with my play through - lacks the
longevity I require from games. It's something I enjoyed for an hour
or three and then moved on to something else; an unforgivable sin for
a game you pay money for, but acceptable for a freebie. (Personally,
though, I'm waiting for the inevitable sequel,
"0118-999-881-999-119-725-3 Operator")

(Don't forget to grab the free "First Response" DLC too)

So this was my post about free stuff
Of which we can never get enough.
They're sometimes good, sometimes quite weak
But there's hope they'll be better next week.*
Praise the games, or maybe deride;
Claim the games, or don't, you decide.
But either way, this week's game is still free
Take them or not, doesn't matter to me.
Thus ends my post about free stuff
Of which we can never get enough.

-------------------------
* Yes, I just rhymed "week" with "weak". Let's see a computer manage
that! ;-)

Re: FREE GAME: 911 Operator

<udv8k7$2lqt5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111414908&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111414908

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: FREE GAME: 911 Operator
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:24:56 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:24 UTC

On 9/14/2023 8:01 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Last week I asked ChatGPT to write a poem about EpicGames and its
> freebies. This week I'm going to write my own. Let's see. Ahem. Here
> we go.
>

> Epic games is just like a store
> Except that they have no door.
> They give you some games for free;
> That's really cool, we all agree.
> And now they have a shopping cart
> So that they don't stand apart
> From other stores like competitor Steam
> Which have a better development team.
> Epic Games: where you get games for free
> A place for cheapskates like you and me!
>

> Truly, a masterpiece for the ages and a sure sign that human
> creativity will always win out over computer-generated drivel! ;-)
>
> Oh, wait, you're not here for another epic paean about... erm... Epic,
> but for the free game? Well, okay. This week we get:
>

> * 911 Operator
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/911-operator-585edd
> A management sim where you take on the role of an emergency services
> dispatcher, sending out police, fire and medical teams in response to
> phone-in calls of distress.

As someone who used to support and work with real 911 dispatchers, no
thank you.

dirty old man.

Re: FREE GAME: 911 Operator

<1hadnWT-oJp5pp74nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111414913&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111414913

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:59:16 +0000
 by: Ant - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:59 UTC

I took it, but I doubt I will play it! Thanks. :)

--
"But Jehoshaphat [King of Judah] also said to the king of Israel, 'First seek the counsel of the Lord.'" --1 Kings 22:5. Poopy humpy day mawny so far. Old body still leak salivas, coughs, aches, sneezes, tires, etc. Steam turned 20 yesterday.
| |o o| |

Re: FREE GAME: 911 Operator

<7pj7gi9760f1udvj2kf26nqdsemetc38dr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111414924&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111414924

From: iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 21:28:20 -0600
 by: PW - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 03:28 UTC

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 11:01:05 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Last week I asked ChatGPT to write a poem about EpicGames and its
>freebies. This week I'm going to write my own. Let's see. Ahem. Here
>we go.
>

> Epic games is just like a store
> Except that they have no door.
> They give you some games for free;
> That's really cool, we all agree.
> And now they have a shopping cart
> So that they don't stand apart
> From other stores like competitor Steam
> Which have a better development team.
> Epic Games: where you get games for free
> A place for cheapskates like you and me!
>

>Truly, a masterpiece for the ages and a sure sign that human
>creativity will always win out over computer-generated drivel! ;-)
>
>Oh, wait, you're not here for another epic paean about... erm... Epic,
>but for the free game? Well, okay. This week we get:
>

>* 911 Operator
>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/911-operator-585edd
>A management sim where you take on the role of an emergency services
>dispatcher, sending out police, fire and medical teams in response to
>phone-in calls of distress. Simple in concept and design, it's
>surprisingly fun but - at least with my play through - lacks the
>longevity I require from games. It's something I enjoyed for an hour
>or three and then moved on to something else; an unforgivable sin for
>a game you pay money for, but acceptable for a freebie. (Personally,
>though, I'm waiting for the inevitable sequel,
>"0118-999-881-999-119-725-3 Operator")
>
>(Don't forget to grab the free "First Response" DLC too)
>

> So this was my post about free stuff
> Of which we can never get enough.
> They're sometimes good, sometimes quite weak
> But there's hope they'll be better next week.*
> Praise the games, or maybe deride;
> Claim the games, or don't, you decide.
> But either way, this week's game is still free
> Take them or not, doesn't matter to me.
> Thus ends my post about free stuff
> Of which we can never get enough.

>* Yes, I just rhymed "week" with "weak". Let's see a computer manage
>that! ;-)

I added it. It does look interesting. I have been watching Emergency
and Adam-12 lately :-)

Of course, I will forget about it.

-pw

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: FREE GAME: 911 Operator