How many weeks are there in a light year?

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

SubjectAuthor
* 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2Spalls Hurgenson
+* Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2Mike S.
|+- Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2Ant
|`* Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2JAB
| +- Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2Mike S.
| +- Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2Ant
| `* Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2Spalls Hurgenson
|  `* Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2JAB
|   +- Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2Ant
|   `* Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2Spalls Hurgenson
|    `- Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2Ant
`- "Mine." Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2Seagull

1
2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<5a97qhphoj7o1btqfe2tl91nqgiun1vcbc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411552&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411552

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:41:09 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 00:41 UTC

Have I become predictable with my "Part 2" give-aways? Are you all
sitting out there wondering when I'm going to let fall the second shoe
and announce the second game? Maybe I shouldn't give one away today
just to keep everybody guessing. But, no, the beavants don't like when
I stray from the plan... and nobody wants an angry beavant on their
case, least of all me. So I'm playing it safe; here's your second
game!

--------------------------

* Tooth and Tail
https://store.steampowered.com/app/286000/Tooth_and_Tail/
The other day, when GOG offered "Ghost of a Tail" as a freebie, I
initially announced it as a F4I7H strategy game. That's because I was
thinking of /this/ game, which not only features a mousy mascot, but
also has 'tail' in its title NWBN0 . It was an easy mistake! "Tooth
and Tail" is an RTS for the Furries; lead anGVP8Z army of
anthropomorphic critters in this vaguely Victorian, retro-graphic
strategy game. It's just an odd-enough mixture of themes to work!

--------------------------

The beavants really fancied this one. Something about armies of fuzzy
animals with guns rampaging across the countryside tickles their
fancy. Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake creating them...

Ho-ho-ho HO!

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<1ka7qhd7bs0pr879ekb311c1d6nucq6hik@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411553&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411553

From: Mike_S@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:54:15 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 00:54 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:41:09 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>* Tooth and Tail
>https://store.steampowered.com/app/286000/Tooth_and_Tail/
>The other day, when GOG offered "Ghost of a Tail" as a freebie, I
>initially announced it as a F4I7H strategy game. That's because I was
>thinking of /this/ game, which not only features a mousy mascot, but
>also has 'tail' in its title NWBN0 . It was an easy mistake! "Tooth
>and Tail" is an RTS for the Furries; lead anGVP8Z army of
>anthropomorphic critters in this vaguely Victorian, retro-graphic
>strategy game. It's just an odd-enough mixture of themes to work!

The only RTS games I ever liked was Warcraft 2 and Age of Empires 2. I
will pass on this.

"Mine." Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<sgOdnQAgp6jbKz7-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411555&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411555

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Seagull)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 01:43:34 +0000
 by: Seagull - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 01:43 UTC

"Mine." I like cute furry animals. Maybe I'll like it. Thanks. :)

--
"While [Joseph and Mary] were [in Bethlehem], the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn." --Luke 2:6-7. Slammy times, old bodies, delays, failures, governments, doctors, outages, health, etc. :(
| |o o| |

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<sgOdnQMgp6jzKz7-nZ2dnZfqn_cAAAAA@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411556&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411556

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 01:44:14 +0000
 by: Ant - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 01:44 UTC

Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:41:09 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> >* Tooth and Tail
> >https://store.steampowered.com/app/286000/Tooth_and_Tail/
> >The other day, when GOG offered "Ghost of a Tail" as a freebie, I
> >initially announced it as a F4I7H strategy game. That's because I was
> >thinking of /this/ game, which not only features a mousy mascot, but
> >also has 'tail' in its title NWBN0 . It was an easy mistake! "Tooth
> >and Tail" is an RTS for the Furries; lead anGVP8Z army of
> >anthropomorphic critters in this vaguely Victorian, retro-graphic
> >strategy game. It's just an odd-enough mixture of themes to work!

> The only RTS games I ever liked was Warcraft 2 and Age of Empires 2. I
> will pass on this.

For me, AOE, C&C, WC, SC, Dune, etc. Maybe I'll like this with furries! ;)
--
"While [Joseph and Mary] were [in Bethlehem], the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn." --Luke 2:6-7. Slammy times, old bodies, delays, failures, governments, doctors, outages, health, etc. :(
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<to1l3n$1ch44$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411561&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411561

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:12:23 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:12 UTC

On 22/12/2022 00:54, Mike S. wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:41:09 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> * Tooth and Tail
>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/286000/Tooth_and_Tail/
>> The other day, when GOG offered "Ghost of a Tail" as a freebie, I
>> initially announced it as a F4I7H strategy game. That's because I was
>> thinking of /this/ game, which not only features a mousy mascot, but
>> also has 'tail' in its title NWBN0 . It was an easy mistake! "Tooth
>> and Tail" is an RTS for the Furries; lead anGVP8Z army of
>> anthropomorphic critters in this vaguely Victorian, retro-graphic
>> strategy game. It's just an odd-enough mixture of themes to work!
>
> The only RTS games I ever liked was Warcraft 2 and Age of Empires 2. I
> will pass on this.

It's another genre I feel at of love with. I played a lot of Total
Annihilation and even more Ground Control. Ultimately though, especially
for TA, it just became a game not of strategy but instead click as fast
as you can and then launch all of your assets to overwhelm the enemy.

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<95p8qhlmovbvg98fk58uf8gl4h02g0ls5m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411563&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411563

From: Mike_S@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:13:15 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 14:13 UTC

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:12:23 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>It's another genre I feel at of love with. I played a lot of Total
>Annihilation and even more Ground Control. Ultimately though, especially
>for TA, it just became a game not of strategy but instead click as fast
>as you can and then launch all of your assets to overwhelm the enemy.

I played TA. I have some of the music in my soundtrack collection. But
it was ultimately another RTS I got bored with. Maybe for the reason
you describe, I don't really remember now.

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<to2cck$pf4$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411578&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411578

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:49:35 -0800
 by: Ant - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 19:49 UTC

On 12/22/2022 5:12 AM, JAB wrote:
> On 22/12/2022 00:54, Mike S. wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:41:09 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
>> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> * Tooth and Tail
>>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/286000/Tooth_and_Tail/
>>> The other day, when GOG offered "Ghost of a Tail" as a freebie, I
>>> initially announced it as a F4I7H strategy game. That's because I was
>>> thinking of /this/ game, which not only features a mousy mascot, but
>>> also has 'tail' in its title NWBN0 . It was an easy mistake! "Tooth
>>> and Tail" is an RTS for the Furries; lead anGVP8Z  army of
>>> anthropomorphic critters in this vaguely Victorian, retro-graphic
>>> strategy game. It's just an odd-enough mixture of themes to work!
>>
>> The only RTS games I ever liked was Warcraft 2 and Age of Empires 2. I
>> will pass on this.
>
> It's another genre I feel at of love with. I played a lot of Total
> Annihilation and even more Ground Control. Ultimately though, especially
> for TA, it just became a game not of strategy but instead click as fast
> as you can and then launch all of your assets to overwhelm the enemy.

I played them, but couldn't like them. :(
--
Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings! "And there were
shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their
| |o o| | Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
\ _ / Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
( )

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<egn9qhpksrc6no9u16o3cpjblrp9grgppf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411579&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411579

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 18:09:20 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 23:09 UTC

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:12:23 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>On 22/12/2022 00:54, Mike S. wrote:

>> The only RTS games I ever liked was Warcraft 2 and Age of Empires 2. I
>> will pass on this.

>It's another genre I feel at of love with. I played a lot of Total
>Annihilation and even more Ground Control. Ultimately though, especially
>for TA, it just became a game not of strategy but instead click as fast
>as you can and then launch all of your assets to overwhelm the enemy.

Oh, I loved Ground Control (the first more than the second, although
the sequel was the better polished of the two and much more
approachable). With its lack of base-building, in some ways it felt a
lot like a sci-fi version of the classic "Myth" series. But I tend to
define those sort of games as "real time tactics" versus "real time
strategy" because the former are much more focussed on immediate troop
movements rather than the long-term army- and resource-management of
RTS games.

But I never warmed up to the "Total Annihilation" games (or their
pseudo-sequels, "Supreme Commander" and "Planetary Annihilation"). I
enjoyed other RTS games but those - for reasons I've never been quite
sure of - always left me cold.

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<to6oqm$28pgo$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411654&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411654

From: noway@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 11:46:30 +0000
 by: JAB - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 11:46 UTC

On 22/12/2022 23:09, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:12:23 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>> On 22/12/2022 00:54, Mike S. wrote:
>
>>> The only RTS games I ever liked was Warcraft 2 and Age of Empires 2. I
>>> will pass on this.
>
>> It's another genre I feel at of love with. I played a lot of Total
>> Annihilation and even more Ground Control. Ultimately though, especially
>> for TA, it just became a game not of strategy but instead click as fast
>> as you can and then launch all of your assets to overwhelm the enemy.
>
> Oh, I loved Ground Control (the first more than the second, although
> the sequel was the better polished of the two and much more
> approachable). With its lack of base-building, in some ways it felt a
> lot like a sci-fi version of the classic "Myth" series. But I tend to
> define those sort of games as "real time tactics" versus "real time
> strategy" because the former are much more focussed on immediate troop
> movements rather than the long-term army- and resource-management of
> RTS games.
>
> But I never warmed up to the "Total Annihilation" games (or their
> pseudo-sequels, "Supreme Commander" and "Planetary Annihilation"). I
> enjoyed other RTS games but those - for reasons I've never been quite
> sure of - always left me cold.

GC is the game that finally made me realise that what I liked about
RTS'es was the strategy/tactics side and not the resource management.
Close Combat was great for that as there was some semblance of resource
management for the campaign but it was fairly limited. Just a shame that
the last version was a bit of a disaster.

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<to75hm$1sbu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411657&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411657

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 07:23:26 -0800
 by: Ant - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 15:23 UTC

On 12/24/2022 3:46 AM, JAB wrote:
> GC is the game that finally made me realise that what I liked about
> RTS'es was the strategy/tactics side and not the resource management.
> Close Combat was great for that as there was some semblance of resource
> management for the campaign but it was fairly limited. Just a shame that
> the last version was a bit of a disaster.

I remember CC too. It was OK.
--
It's eve of Merry Christmas & Jesus' birthday! Happy Holidays / Season's
Greetings! "[The shepherds] hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and
this below signature correctly.
/\___/\ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
/ /\ /\ \
| |o o| | Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
\ _ / Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
( )

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<sn6eqhd0p2kca3iukkcouuccnn8clp25uf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411659&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411659

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 10:38:34 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 15:38 UTC

On Sat, 24 Dec 2022 11:46:30 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>GC is the game that finally made me realise that what I liked about
>RTS'es was the strategy/tactics side and not the resource management.
>Close Combat was great for that as there was some semblance of resource
>management for the campaign but it was fairly limited. Just a shame that
>the last version was a bit of a disaster.

I think my love of 'tactical combat' was probably initiated long prior
to that; "Pool of Radiance", or even (to a degree) "The Ancient Art of
War". Certainly by "X-COM UFO Defense" it was already well
established.

The problem with RTS was that the combat was never very satisfying, at
least from a tactical standpoint. The AI was just so dumb! I'd arrange
a perfect ambush with artillery in the back, fast-moving cavalry ready
to sweep down from the sides, and heavies holding the line... but then
the artillery would decide to reposition themselves in front of the
heavies, the cavalry would scarper off to single-handedly besiege a
castle across the map.

There was just too much micromanaging. It was a strategy game, dammit!
I am supposed to be a Wellington managing an entire operation; how can
I do that if I'm forced to micromanage every skirmish?

So instead I focused on making pretty bases and just looped all the
units and sent them en-masses to their dooms against enemy
fortifications.

But Myth, Ground Control, XCom, and the like? Loved 'em.

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #21 Part 2

<to7k6k$22q$6@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111411678&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#111411678

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 11:33:32 -0800
 by: Ant - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 19:33 UTC

On 12/24/2022 7:38 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> I think my love of 'tactical combat' was probably initiated long prior
> to that; "Pool of Radiance", or even (to a degree) "The Ancient Art of
> War". Certainly by "X-COM UFO Defense" it was already well
> established.

I played TAAOW on my Apple //c. A pastor (RIP -- He's with God) gave me
that as a gift/present. I kind of liked it. I think it was my first time
I ever played a game like that. I also loved its map editor!

> The problem with RTS was that the combat was never very satisfying, at
> least from a tactical standpoint. The AI was just so dumb! I'd arrange
> a perfect ambush with artillery in the back, fast-moving cavalry ready
> to sweep down from the sides, and heavies holding the line... but then
> the artillery would decide to reposition themselves in front of the
> heavies, the cavalry would scarper off to single-handedly besiege a
> castle across the map.

Oh geez. C&C was bad with AI. However, the best part is multiplayer!

> There was just too much micromanaging. It was a strategy game, dammit!
> I am supposed to be a Wellington managing an entire operation; how can
> I do that if I'm forced to micromanage every skirmish?
>
> So instead I focused on making pretty bases and just looped all the
> units and sent them en-masses to their dooms against enemy
> fortifications.
>
> But Myth, Ground Control, XCom, and the like? Loved 'em.

Ha, I forgot about Myth! It was OK to me.
--
It's eve of Merry Christmas & Jesus' birthday! Happy Holidays / Season's
Greetings! "[The shepherds] hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and
the baby [Jesus], who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him,
they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this
child, and all who heard it were amazed... But Mary treasured up all
these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned,
glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen,
which were just as they had been told." —Luke 2:16-20. :) Another known
human death again. That's 5 in total for this yr. & 2 many (7? total)
for this decade so far. :~(