Sentient plasmoids are a gas.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control

SubjectAuthor
* need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remoteConnectix
+* Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remoteMike Easter
|`* Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remoteConnectix
| `- Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remoteMike Easter
+* Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remotered floyd
|`* Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remoteAbandoned_Trolley
| `* Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remoteConnectix
|  +- Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remoteChris Elvidge
|  `- Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remoteHenry Crun
`- Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote controlDanS

1
need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control

<sd7and$qd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1114&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1114

From: connexctx1@connect.net (Connectix)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote
control
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 16:12:27 -0400
 by: Connectix - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 20:12 UTC

I'm trying to connect my network card in my laptop with my desktop. The
laptop has 18.04 and the desktop has Win 7. I want to use the Ubuntu
18.04 laptop to control the Win 7 desktop. This will be done via cat6
cable, network card to network card. How to set this up? Also, prefer
if a control program is needed that it is free. Thank you.

Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control

<iloqlnF9re5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1115&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1115

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
control
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 13:40:21 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 20:40 UTC

Connectix wrote:
> I'm trying to connect my network card in my laptop with my desktop.  The
> laptop has 18.04 and the desktop has Win 7.  I want to use the Ubuntu
> 18.04 laptop to control the Win 7 desktop.  This will be done via cat6
> cable, network card to network card.  How to set this up?  Also, prefer
> if a control program is needed that it is free.

Do I understand this situation's connectivity to be that there is NO
router? That these two devices do NOT connect to the internet via a
router or similar device such as a gateway device? And, neither device
has more than one network card? Or what?

Most people w/ two devices want both devices to be able to connect to
the internet and many also want the devices to be able to connect to
each other. This is established via such as a router as the 'center' of
a LAN, local area network.

In that scenario, both of the devices connect to the router and the
router connects to the internet and facilitates the devices connecting
to each other.

--
Mike Easter

Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control

<sd7fcs$s23$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1116&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1116

From: no.spam.here@its.invalid (red floyd)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
control
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 14:32:11 -0700
 by: red floyd - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 21:32 UTC

On 7/20/2021 1:12 PM, Connectix wrote:
> I'm trying to connect my network card in my laptop with my desktop.  The
> laptop has 18.04 and the desktop has Win 7.  I want to use the Ubuntu
> 18.04 laptop to control the Win 7 desktop.  This will be done via cat6
> cable, network card to network card.  How to set this up?  Also, prefer
> if a control program is needed that it is free.  Thank you.

You have two choices.

1) buy a cheap switch and use regular network cables.
2) get a crossover network cable to connect the devices.

Without a router or DHCP server, you will need to manually assign IP
addresses to the machines. For IPv4 connectivity, use a reserved
network, usually 192.168.1.0/255

I'm not familiar enough with IPv6 to discuss how to set up the
networking stacks in the absence of a DHCP server.

Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control

<sd88re$36t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1117&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1117

From: connexctx1@connect.net (Connectix)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
control
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 00:46:37 -0400
 by: Connectix - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 04:46 UTC

On 7/20/21 4:40 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Connectix wrote:
>> I'm trying to connect my network card in my laptop with my desktop.
>> The laptop has 18.04 and the desktop has Win 7.  I want to use the
>> Ubuntu 18.04 laptop to control the Win 7 desktop.  This will be done
>> via cat6 cable, network card to network card.  How to set this up?
>> Also, prefer if a control program is needed that it is free.
>
> Do I understand this situation's connectivity to be that there is NO
> router?  That these two devices do NOT connect to the internet via a
> router or similar device such as a gateway device?  And, neither device
> has more than one network card?  Or what?

One device can connect to the Internet (the laptop) and it is done
through a cat5 cable to the router.

> Most people w/ two devices want both devices to be able to connect to
> the internet and many also want the devices to be able to connect to
> each other.  This is established via such as a router as the 'center' of
> a LAN, local area network.

The Win 7 desktop, which I want to control from the Ubuntu laptop, only
has a network card. With the laptop, if I want the Internet, I can just
unplug the cable from the desktop and plug in the cable from the router.

So, to be clear, just a cat5 cable from laptop network card to desktop
card and then control the desktop from the laptop. The Win 7 desktop
never needs Internet access.

I seemed to get a connection from the laptop earlier, but that's it. I
don't seem able to access the Win desktop so far.

> In that scenario, both of the devices connect to the router and the
> router connects to the internet and facilitates the devices connecting
> to each other.

Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control

<sd8pha$3n5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1118&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1118

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
control
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:31:21 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 09:31 UTC

> You have two choices.
>
> 1) buy a cheap switch and use regular network cables.
> 2) get a crossover network cable to connect the devices.

I believe a lot of network cards / ports can "auto sense" the gender of
the connection, so it's possible that a crossover cable may not be needed.

AT
--
random signature text inserted here

Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control

<sd8sk6$pvg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1119&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1119

From: connexctx1@connect.net (Connectix)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
control
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 06:24:06 -0400
 by: Connectix - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:24 UTC

On 7/21/21 5:31 AM, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

>> You have two choices.
>>
>> 1) buy a cheap switch and use regular network cables.
>> 2) get a crossover network cable to connect the devices.
>>

> I believe a lot of network cards / ports can "auto sense" the gender of
> the connection, so it's possible that a crossover cable may not be needed.
>
> AT

Yes, connection shows up on laptop when cable is plugged in to both
network cards, but not sure of the next step. I see "windows" shown
under network connections, but when I click on it nothing happens.

Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control

<sd8ub8$5hm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1120&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1120

From: chris@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
control
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 11:53:27 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:53 UTC

On 21/07/2021 11:24 am, Connectix wrote:
> On 7/21/21 5:31 AM, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
>>
>>> You have two choices.
>>>
>>> 1) buy a cheap switch and use regular network cables.
>>> 2) get a crossover network cable to connect the devices.
>>>

>> I believe a lot of network cards / ports can "auto sense" the gender
>> of the connection, so it's possible that a crossover cable may not be
>> needed.
>>
>> AT
>
> Yes, connection shows up on laptop when cable is plugged in to both
> network cards, but not sure of the next step. I see "windows" shown
> under network connections, but when I click on it nothing happens.

You need to give each network connection an IP address - e.g
192.168.99.100 and .200 mask 255.255.255.0
Windows: set in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
Ubuntu: set in Network Manager

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control

<q3mlsh-gdm92.ln1@ubuntu.mike-r.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1121&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1121

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
control
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 17:04:09 +0300
 by: Henry Crun - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 14:04 UTC

On 21/07/2021 13:24, Connectix wrote:
> On 7/21/21 5:31 AM, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
>>
>>> You have two choices.
>>>
>>> 1) buy a cheap switch and use regular network cables.
>>> 2) get a crossover network cable to connect the devices.
>>>

>> I believe a lot of network cards / ports can "auto sense" the gender of the connection, so it's possible that a
>> crossover cable may not be needed.
>>
>> AT
>
> Yes, connection shows up on laptop when cable is plugged in to both network cards, but not sure of the next step.  I see
> "windows" shown under network connections, but when I click on it nothing happens.

OK, once the laptop and the desktop are connected to the router
1) Can they both, individially, connect to the Internet (I would say "If not then Google how to do that", but if you've
got no internet you need someone to help you, preferably on-site)
2) Once both are internet-enabled, find their respective IP addresses
3) Easiest: set up a Telnet server on the desktop, and a Telnet client on the laptop to control the desktop from a
terminal session on the laptop, or vice versa for the other way round, N.B. This is not entirely secure!
4) Once the basic setup works, back to Google "How to show Windows desktop on Linux"

P.S. Does the laptop have WiFi ability? Most have, but using would require setting up the router proporly.

HTH

--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/

Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control

<ilqt7jFmtmmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1122&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1122

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
control
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 08:36:18 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 15:36 UTC

Connectix wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Connectix wrote:
>>> I'm trying to connect my network card in my laptop with my desktop.
>>> The laptop has 18.04 and the desktop has Win 7.  I want to use the
>>> Ubuntu 18.04 laptop to control the Win 7 desktop.  This will be done
>>> via cat6 cable, network card to network card.  How to set this up?
>>> Also, prefer if a control program is needed that it is free.
>>
>> Do I understand this situation's connectivity to be that there is NO
>> router?  That these two devices do NOT connect to the internet via a
>> router or similar device such as a gateway device?  And, neither
>> device has more than one network card?  Or what?
>
> One device can connect to the Internet (the laptop) and it is done
> through a cat5 cable to the router.

If there is a router, it can solve what you want to do; because a router
typically is an integrated gateway and switch. Topologically, both the
laptop and desktop can ethernet connect to the router. Occasionally
someone has a gateway device which only has a single ethernet port and
uses wifi for other connxns. If that is the case, I would add an
ethernet switch, which is very economical.

>> Most people w/ two devices want both devices to be able to connect to
>> the internet and many also want the devices to be able to connect to
>> each other.  This is established via such as a router as the 'center'
>> of a LAN, local area network.
>
> The Win 7 desktop, which I want to control from the Ubuntu laptop, only
> has a network card.  With the laptop, if I want the Internet, I can just
> unplug the cable from the desktop and plug in the cable from the router.

If it were me, I would set this up topologically in a 'conventional'
manner with both devices connected to the router. In that
configuration, you can use it 'unconventionally' if you don't want one
or either of them connected to the internet. That is, either/both can
connect to the internet or not, either/both can connect to each other or
not.

> So, to be clear, just a cat5 cable from laptop network card to desktop
> card and then control the desktop from the laptop. The Win 7 desktop
> never needs Internet access.

I would still connect the desktop to the router as the 'route' for the
laptop-desktop connection.

> I seemed to get a connection from the laptop earlier, but that's it.  I
> don't seem able to access the Win desktop so far.

That is a common problem; see some of those other msg/s about IP.

--
Mike Easter

Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control

<XnsAD7A474D42733thisnthatroadrunnern@216.166.97.131>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1141&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1141

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control
From: t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m (DanS)
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 06:00:35 -0500
 by: DanS - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 11:00 UTC

Connectix <connexctx1@connect.net> wrote in

> I'm trying to connect my network card in my laptop with my
> desktop. The laptop has 18.04 and the desktop has Win 7.
> I want to use the Ubuntu 18.04 laptop to control the Win 7
> desktop. This will be done via cat6 cable, network card to
> network card. How to set this up? Also, prefer if a
> control program is needed that it is free. Thank you.

....and nobody asked 'what do you mean by control the Win7 desktop'?

Through a 'remote desktop' scenario? Win7 Home does not accept MS 'Remote
Desktop' connections. Ubuntu does have a 'remote desktop' client that can connect to
Windows computers.

There's also 'TeamViewer' (TV), which you would start a TV session on the Windows PC
and then log onto that Windows PC session from the TV client on the Ubuntu box.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / need to set up a wired Ubuntu 18.04 to Win 7 desktop with remote control