What the scientists have in their briefcases is terrifying. -- Nikita Khruschev

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.

SubjectAuthor
* Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.Lester Thorpe
+- Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.DFS
+* Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.Chris Ahlstrom
|`- Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.candycanearter07
+- Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.Physfitfreak
+- Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.Stéphane CARPENTIER
`- Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.DFS

1
Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.

<17b7acad67295fdd$49$3424490$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10636&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10636

From: lt@gnu.rocks (Lester Thorpe)
Subject: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 09:00:44 +0000
 by: Lester Thorpe - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 09:00 UTC

The control of windows in a GUI is of fundamental importance.

Does focus occur when the mouse enters a window or when it
receives a mouse click? Upon gaining focus is a window raised
or does it remain in the background? Can raising a window
be controlled with the mouse or keyboard?

Proper window control is critical for an efficient user GUI
experience, and FVWM3, and probably most other GUIs, on GNU/Linux
allows complete user control of focus, raising, and other window
behaviors.

What about Microslop?

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Sorry. There's none. That's NO user control. Click on a window
and it will gain focus and be raised. That is the ONLY behavior.

One can dig into that monstrosity known as the Windows registry
to set some value somewhere that will allow focus on entry (with
raising) but that is all -- and the result will have serious side
effects.

On GNU/Linux window control is effortless and permits versatile
window behavior.

Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI quickly becomes seriously
frustrating. Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI is junk.

Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.

<YNjDN.466496$Wp_8.50228@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10637&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10637

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 06:35:22 -0500
 by: DFS - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:35 UTC

On 2/27/2024 4:00 AM, Liability Larry wrote:

<snip frustration>

> Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI quickly becomes seriously
> frustrating. Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI is junk.

All that really matters to you is:

Each Tuesday am it's Windows Feeb boots
"Free Software" means nothing in the face of big loot

Now git! You have a full day of Windows GUI processing ahead of you.

Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.

<urkld2$36pvm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10638&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10638

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 07:43:14 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:43 UTC

Lester Thorpe wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> The control of windows in a GUI is of fundamental importance.
>
> Does focus occur when the mouse enters a window or when it
> receives a mouse click? Upon gaining focus is a window raised
> or does it remain in the background? Can raising a window
> be controlled with the mouse or keyboard?
>
> Proper window control is critical for an efficient user GUI
> experience, and FVWM3, and probably most other GUIs, on GNU/Linux
> allows complete user control of focus, raising, and other window
> behaviors.
>
> What about Microslop?
>
> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!
>
> Sorry. There's none. That's NO user control. Click on a window
> and it will gain focus and be raised. That is the ONLY behavior.
>
> One can dig into that monstrosity known as the Windows registry
> to set some value somewhere that will allow focus on entry (with
> raising) but that is all -- and the result will have serious side
> effects.

Wrongo butt-breath!

Control Panel / Ease of Access Center / Make the mouse easier to use /
Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse

I tried that for awhile, but the problem is that, unlike in Fluxbox,
the time delay is so small as render the automatic focus extremely annoying.

> On GNU/Linux window control is effortless and permits versatile
> window behavior.
>
> Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI quickly becomes seriously
> frustrating. Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI is junk.

Generally, yes. Certainly compared to Fluxbox.

--
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is, knows how deep a debt
of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our race. He

Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.

<urkrbu$38cki$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10642&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10642

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:25:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:25 UTC

On 2024-02-27, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
> Lester Thorpe wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> The control of windows in a GUI is of fundamental importance.
>>
>> Does focus occur when the mouse enters a window or when it
>> receives a mouse click? Upon gaining focus is a window raised
>> or does it remain in the background? Can raising a window
>> be controlled with the mouse or keyboard?
>>
>> Proper window control is critical for an efficient user GUI
>> experience, and FVWM3, and probably most other GUIs, on GNU/Linux
>> allows complete user control of focus, raising, and other window
>> behaviors.
>>
>> What about Microslop?
>>
>> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!
>>
>> Sorry. There's none. That's NO user control. Click on a window
>> and it will gain focus and be raised. That is the ONLY behavior.
>>
>> One can dig into that monstrosity known as the Windows registry
>> to set some value somewhere that will allow focus on entry (with
>> raising) but that is all -- and the result will have serious side
>> effects.
>
> Wrongo butt-breath!
>
> Control Panel / Ease of Access Center / Make the mouse easier to use /
> Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse
>
> I tried that for awhile, but the problem is that, unlike in Fluxbox,
> the time delay is so small as render the automatic focus extremely annoying.

I think there might also be an option to scroll on a window
without focusing it?

>> On GNU/Linux window control is effortless and permits versatile
>> window behavior.
>>
>> Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI quickly becomes seriously
>> frustrating. Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI is junk.
>
> Generally, yes. Certainly compared to Fluxbox.

Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.

<urlb32$mdaq$5@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10658&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10658

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:53:23 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:53 UTC

On 2/27/2024 3:00 AM, Lester Thorpe wrote:
> The control of windows in a GUI is of fundamental importance.
>
> Does focus occur when the mouse enters a window or when it
> receives a mouse click? Upon gaining focus is a window raised
> or does it remain in the background? Can raising a window
> be controlled with the mouse or keyboard?
>
> Proper window control is critical for an efficient user GUI
> experience, and FVWM3, and probably most other GUIs, on GNU/Linux
> allows complete user control of focus, raising, and other window
> behaviors.
>
> What about Microslop?
>
> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!
>
> Sorry. There's none. That's NO user control. Click on a window
> and it will gain focus and be raised. That is the ONLY behavior.
>
> One can dig into that monstrosity known as the Windows registry
> to set some value somewhere that will allow focus on entry (with
> raising) but that is all -- and the result will have serious side
> effects.
>
> On GNU/Linux window control is effortless and permits versatile
> window behavior.
>
> Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI quickly becomes seriously
> frustrating. Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI is junk.

I've used Alt+Tab for eons in Windows to choose and change between
windows that are open.

Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.

<65e23756$0$8244$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10919&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10919

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 01 Mar 2024 20:15:18 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 20:15 UTC

Le 27-02-2024, Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> a écrit :
> The control of windows in a GUI is of fundamental importance.

Yes.

> Does focus occur when the mouse enters a window or when it
> receives a mouse click?

Neither of that. I don't want the focus changed when I move my mouse. I
want to control the focus myself and my mouse shouldn't interfere. My
mouse is not there to manage my applications but to be used by them. So
thanks, but no thanks. My keyboard is at least an hundred times more
efficient than my mouse. So I don't want any of those configurations.

> Upon gaining focus is a window raised

No.

> or does it remain in the background?

Neither. I have nothing in the background.

> Can raising a window be controlled with the mouse or keyboard?

I don't know and I don't care. I have no window which needs to be raised
so I have nothing to control.

> Proper window control is critical for an efficient user GUI
> experience,

Yes.

> and FVWM3, and probably most other GUIs, on GNU/Linux
> allows complete user control of focus, raising, and other window
> behaviors.

If you need to raise the focus, it means your windows are overlapping.
So it means you have to lose some time to manage them instead of using
them. So it's bad. And you shouldn't be too proud of managing poorly
your windows when you say it's critical.

> What about Microslop?

It's bad. But your way doesn't look better to me.

> On GNU/Linux window control is effortless and permits versatile
> window behavior.

Yes, but your way of using fvwm3 (I don't know if fvwm3 is bad or if you
are unable to manage it correctly) doesn't comply to your request.

> Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI quickly becomes seriously
> frustrating. Compared to GNU/Linux the Microslop GUI is junk.

In fact, you shouldn't be too proud of being unable to do better than
Windows when it's possible.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Window Control Linux: Great. Microslop: Terribly Poor.

<65e49274$0$2130794$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11029&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11029

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:08:38 -0500
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
 by: DFS - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 15:08 UTC

On 2/27/2024 4:00 AM, Ludicrous Larry Piet wrote:

> The control of windows in a GUI is of fundamental importance.

Left side: "Be a MAN, not a fucking GUI pussy."

Right side: "Joe [editor] is bound to the console and I prefer a GUI."