https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1071&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1071

From: rowlett@access.net (Richard Owlett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
groups
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 05:23:02 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 10:23 UTC

I'm in the midst of a multifaceted update/upgrade process:
1. I now have a new email provider.
2. I've added an additional newsgroup service.
3. My primary machine runs SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on 32 bit Debian 9.13 .
I have started installing SeaMonkey 2.53.17 for another
user on this physical machine to use as a target while learning
how to do things like migrating profiles. I.E. I'm taking the
act of backing up data one step further.

I am not a software person, but would like to contribute. I think a
documentation related path would be appropriate. Before retiring I was
involved in QA/QC, engineering, and end user support in diverse fields.

What would be the appropriate mailing lists and USENET groups?
I'm particularly interested in those with archives -- some of my
problems may have been solved.

TIA

Re: Relevant SeaMonkey documentation oriented mailing lists and USENET groups

<ufu2av$329fi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1074&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1074

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Vito Martinelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
USENET groups
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 13:03:58 +0200
 by: Don Vito Martinelli - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 11:03 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm in the midst of a multifaceted update/upgrade process:
>   1. I now have a new email provider.
>   2. I've added an additional newsgroup service.
>   3. My primary machine runs SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on 32 bit Debian 9.13 .
>      I have started installing SeaMonkey 2.53.17 for another
>      user on this physical machine to use as a target while learning
>      how to do things like migrating profiles. I.E. I'm taking the
>      act of backing up data one step further.
>
> I am not a software person, but would like to contribute. I think a
> documentation related path would be appropriate. Before retiring I was
> involved in QA/QC, engineering, and end user support in diverse fields.
>
> What would be the appropriate mailing lists and USENET groups?
> I'm particularly interested in those with archives -- some of my
> problems may have been solved.
>
> TIA

I'm 90% sure that the only problems you are liable to have migrating
from 2.49.4 to a current version is if you have a Master Password. If
you do have one, I think the way to do it is to get rid of it - under
the 2.49.x level - then migrate and then reestablish it. If you don't
have one (I don't) then you're clear.
I never tried falling back from a 2.53.x version to 2.49.x and I'm not
sure whether that works (without a master password).
If things do go wrong on a fallback, you will have lost your history,
your bookmarks and maybe your passwords.

This was all detailed in the news.mozilla.org newsgroups but they are
pretty much lost to the world now.

Re: Relevant SeaMonkey documentation oriented mailing lists and USENET groups

<ufu5qj$333p4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1078&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1078

From: rowlett@access.net (Richard Owlett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
USENET groups
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 07:03:10 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 12:03 UTC

On 10/08/2023 06:03 AM, Don Vito Martinelli wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I'm in the midst of a multifaceted update/upgrade process:
>>    1. I now have a new email provider.
>>    2. I've added an additional newsgroup service.
>>    3. My primary machine runs SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on 32 bit Debian 9.13 .
>>       I have started installing SeaMonkey 2.53.17 for another
>>       user on this physical machine to use as a target while learning
>>       how to do things like migrating profiles. I.E. I'm taking the
>>       act of backing up data one step further.
>>
>> I am not a software person, but would like to contribute. I think a
>> documentation related path would be appropriate. Before retiring I was
>> involved in QA/QC, engineering, and end user support in diverse fields.
>>
>> What would be the appropriate mailing lists and USENET groups?
>> I'm particularly interested in those with archives -- some of my
>> problems may have been solved.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> I'm 90% sure that the only problems you are liable to have migrating
> from 2.49.4 to a current version is if you have a Master Password.  If
> you do have one, I think the way to do it is to get rid of it - under
> the 2.49.x level - then migrate and then reestablish it.  If you don't
> have one (I don't) then you're clear.

But that's not the question of *THIS* thread.
But does hint at why I'm interested in documentation <chuckle>.

> I never tried falling back from a 2.53.x version to 2.49.x and I'm not
> sure whether that works (without a master password).
> If things do go wrong on a fallback, you will have lost your history,
> your bookmarks and maybe your passwords.

You *CANNOT* go back!
See 1st paragraph of
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.53.17.1/
Illustrates why documentation is important.

> This was all detailed in the news.mozilla.org newsgroups but they are
> pretty much lost to the world now.

Knowledge becoming "lost to the world" is why I wish to contribute to
real documentation, be it formal release notes or various wiki's etc.

information. I want to see it incorporated into find-able documentation.

To restate my question:
"What would be the appropriate documentation related mailing lists and
USENET groups [preferably with archives]?"

TIA

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: Relevant SeaMonkey documentation oriented mailing lists and USENET groups