Message from Our Sponsor on ttyTV at 13:58 ...

computers / comp.misc / Re: Go statement considered harmful

SubjectAuthor
* Go statement considered harmfulEli the Bearded
+* Re: Go statement considered harmfulHope Rouselle
|`- Re: Go statement considered harmfulHope Rouselle
`- Re: Go statement considered harmfulHope Rouselle

1
Go statement considered harmful

<eli$2107121640@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=727&group=comp.misc#727

From: *@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Go statement considered harmful
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:40:41 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:40 UTC

This is an older (2018) blog post about a concurrency method the author
has implemented as a Python library. There's nothing inherently Python
about the method, and the title makes reference to the command used in
Go (golang) for creating new threads while also referencing the famous
Dijkstra piece. Along the way it has a detour through FLOW-MATIC[*] for
anyone who really doesn't understand _what_ Dijkstra was complaining
about in "Goto Considered Harmful".

Notes on structured concurrency, or: Go statement considered harmful

https://vorpus.org/blog/notes-on-structured-concurrency-or-go-statement-considered-harmful/

It's a pretty good read and persuasive about issues with current
concurrency.

Elijah
------
[*] with the same code example as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOW-MATIC

Re: Go statement considered harmful

<86o89xo4kk.fsf@jevedi.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1065&group=comp.misc#1065

From: hrouselle@jevedi.com (Hope Rouselle)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Go statement considered harmful
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 11:19:07 -0300
 by: Hope Rouselle - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 14:19 UTC

Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> writes:

> This is an older (2018) blog post about a concurrency method the author
> has implemented as a Python library. There's nothing inherently Python
> about the method, and the title makes reference to the command used in
> Go (golang) for creating new threads while also referencing the famous
> Dijkstra piece. Along the way it has a detour through FLOW-MATIC[*] for
> anyone who really doesn't understand _what_ Dijkstra was complaining
> about in "Goto Considered Harmful".
>
> Notes on structured concurrency, or: Go statement considered harmful
>
> https://vorpus.org/blog/notes-on-structured-concurrency-or-go-statement-considered-harmful/
>
> It's a pretty good read and persuasive about issues with current
> concurrency.

Wow. I never realized you were a programmer professor-level, say. I
will read it and share with you my understanding of it. But gimme some
time.

Re: Go statement considered harmful

<86fsv8nxzk.fsf@jevedi.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1066&group=comp.misc#1066

From: hrouselle@jevedi.com (Hope Rouselle)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 07:53:35 -0300
 by: Hope Rouselle - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 10:53 UTC

Hope Rouselle <hrouselle@jevedi.com> writes:

> Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> writes:
>
>> This is an older (2018) blog post about a concurrency method the author
>> has implemented as a Python library. There's nothing inherently Python
>> about the method, and the title makes reference to the command used in
>> Go (golang) for creating new threads while also referencing the famous
>> Dijkstra piece. Along the way it has a detour through FLOW-MATIC[*] for
>> anyone who really doesn't understand _what_ Dijkstra was complaining
>> about in "Goto Considered Harmful".
>>
>> Notes on structured concurrency, or: Go statement considered harmful
>>
>> https://vorpus.org/blog/notes-on-structured-concurrency-or-go-statement-considered-harmful/
>>
>> It's a pretty good read and persuasive about issues with current
>> concurrency.
>
> Wow. I never realized you were a programmer professor-level, say. I
> will read it and share with you my understanding of it. But gimme some
> time.

I printed it out yesterday, twice. Couldn't get the font larger. Paper
is now obsolete and, therefore, ignored? :-D

Re: Go statement considered harmful

<86sfz2g1ky.fsf@jevedi.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1072&group=comp.misc#1072

From: hrouselle@jevedi.com (Hope Rouselle)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 14:16:45 -0300
 by: Hope Rouselle - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 17:16 UTC

Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> writes:

> This is an older (2018) blog post about a concurrency method the author
> has implemented as a Python library. There's nothing inherently Python
> about the method, and the title makes reference to the command used in
> Go (golang) for creating new threads while also referencing the famous
> Dijkstra piece. Along the way it has a detour through FLOW-MATIC[*] for
> anyone who really doesn't understand _what_ Dijkstra was complaining
> about in "Goto Considered Harmful".
>
> Notes on structured concurrency, or: Go statement considered harmful
>
> https://vorpus.org/blog/notes-on-structured-concurrency-or-go-statement-considered-harmful/
>
> It's a pretty good read and persuasive about issues with current
> concurrency.

Really good read. Thank you. It hasn't been easy to find good reads
like that. I keep on reading good stuff, but usually they are papers
from decades ago.

Very nice summary of the meaning of these various concurrency primitives
out there in so many different languages. Also appreciated the
connection back to the sources --- Dijkstra /et alia/.

Why do I like it? I think it's because the author is concerned with
*clarity*, *generality*, guarantees. Sometimes it seems nobody cares
about these things.

What did I miss? I didn't see any mention to continuations.