"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." -- Will Rogers

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

SubjectAuthor
* Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this yearrbowman
+* Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this Chris Ahlstrom
|+- Re: Who's paying you morons to update all the time ?!Joel
|`- Re: Who's paying you morons to update all the time ?!vallor
`* Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this RabidPedagog
 `* Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this candycanearter07
  `* Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this RabidPedagog
   `* Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this candycanearter07
    `* Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this RabidPedagog
     +- Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this Chris Ahlstrom
     +- Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this candycanearter07
     +* Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this DFS
     |`- Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this RabidPedagog
     `- Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this DFS

1
Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<l458jmFcpefU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10635&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10635

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning
later this year
Date: 27 Feb 2024 05:00:38 GMT
 by: rbowman - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 05:00 UTC

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/windows-security-updates-could-
come-with-fewer-reboots-beginning-later-this-year/

Is it possible? Microsoft finally figured out how to patch software
without endless reboots? My Fedora box installs or upgrades packages
almost every day. The Ubuntu box does so less frequently but neither
require a reboot nor does my Debian box at work.

Like the article says what could be better than logging into a Windows box
in the morning to find everything you were working on the night before was
shut down due to a automatic update.

This is the behavior I find most annoying about Windows and it would be a
big step forward if MS finally fixes it. Who knows? They may even be able
to patch Visual Studio 2022 without requiring a 2.2 GB download but I'm
not holding my breathe.

Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<urklhc$36pvm$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10639&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10639

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots
beginning later this year
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 07:45:32 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:45 UTC

rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/windows-security-updates-could-
> come-with-fewer-reboots-beginning-later-this-year/
>
> Is it possible? Microsoft finally figured out how to patch software
> without endless reboots? My Fedora box installs or upgrades packages
> almost every day. The Ubuntu box does so less frequently but neither
> require a reboot nor does my Debian box at work.
>
> Like the article says what could be better than logging into a Windows box
> in the morning to find everything you were working on the night before was
> shut down due to a automatic update.
>
> This is the behavior I find most annoying about Windows and it would be a
> big step forward if MS finally fixes it. Who knows? They may even be able
> to patch Visual Studio 2022 without requiring a 2.2 GB download but I'm
> not holding my breathe.

It takes much longer to install Visual Studio than to install a complete
functioning Linux distro with all the development tools, office tools, etc. you
could ever want.

--
All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"--a strange complaint to come from
the mouths of people who have had to live.

Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<vBlDN.104231$Vrtf.94796@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10641&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10641

later this year
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 08:38:35 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:38 UTC

On 2024-02-27 12:00 a.m., rbowman wrote:
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/windows-security-updates-could-
> come-with-fewer-reboots-beginning-later-this-year/
>
> Is it possible? Microsoft finally figured out how to patch software
> without endless reboots? My Fedora box installs or upgrades packages
> almost every day. The Ubuntu box does so less frequently but neither
> require a reboot nor does my Debian box at work.
>
> Like the article says what could be better than logging into a Windows box
> in the morning to find everything you were working on the night before was
> shut down due to a automatic update.
>
> This is the behavior I find most annoying about Windows and it would be a
> big step forward if MS finally fixes it. Who knows? They may even be able
> to patch Visual Studio 2022 without requiring a 2.2 GB download but I'm
> not holding my breathe.

I would love for them to allow for updates to be done from the command
line. I usually install or upgrade my software using winget and I find
it to be a lot safer, faster and more efficient than the traditional way.

--
RabidPedagog

Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<urkrla$38e65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10643&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10643

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
beginning later this year
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:30:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:30 UTC

On 2024-02-27, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
> On 2024-02-27 12:00 a.m., rbowman wrote:
>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/windows-security-updates-could-
>> come-with-fewer-reboots-beginning-later-this-year/
>>
>> Is it possible? Microsoft finally figured out how to patch software
>> without endless reboots? My Fedora box installs or upgrades packages
>> almost every day. The Ubuntu box does so less frequently but neither
>> require a reboot nor does my Debian box at work.
>>
>> Like the article says what could be better than logging into a Windows box
>> in the morning to find everything you were working on the night before was
>> shut down due to a automatic update.
>>
>> This is the behavior I find most annoying about Windows and it would be a
>> big step forward if MS finally fixes it. Who knows? They may even be able
>> to patch Visual Studio 2022 without requiring a 2.2 GB download but I'm
>> not holding my breathe.
>
> I would love for them to allow for updates to be done from the command
> line. I usually install or upgrade my software using winget and I find
> it to be a lot safer, faster and more efficient than the traditional way.

It's MS, so I'm not holding my breath.

Re: Who's paying you morons to update all the time ?!

<ojtrtihbi5qmao9ma8japafio1vjj2qmpn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10644&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10644

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Who's paying you morons to update all the time ?!
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 09:50:08 -0500
 by: Joel - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:50 UTC

"Relf" <Usenet@Jeff-Relf.Me> wrote:

>Who's paying you morons to update all the time ?! That's what I want to know.

I like to run the latest released software, not cling to an old
version.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<bjnDN.348162$vFZa.113468@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10645&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10645

later this year
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:35:32 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 15:35 UTC

On 2024-02-27 9:30 a.m., candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 2024-02-27, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
>> On 2024-02-27 12:00 a.m., rbowman wrote:
>>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/windows-security-updates-could-
>>> come-with-fewer-reboots-beginning-later-this-year/
>>>
>>> Is it possible? Microsoft finally figured out how to patch software
>>> without endless reboots? My Fedora box installs or upgrades packages
>>> almost every day. The Ubuntu box does so less frequently but neither
>>> require a reboot nor does my Debian box at work.
>>>
>>> Like the article says what could be better than logging into a Windows box
>>> in the morning to find everything you were working on the night before was
>>> shut down due to a automatic update.
>>>
>>> This is the behavior I find most annoying about Windows and it would be a
>>> big step forward if MS finally fixes it. Who knows? They may even be able
>>> to patch Visual Studio 2022 without requiring a 2.2 GB download but I'm
>>> not holding my breathe.
>>
>> I would love for them to allow for updates to be done from the command
>> line. I usually install or upgrade my software using winget and I find
>> it to be a lot safer, faster and more efficient than the traditional way.
>
> It's MS, so I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, they're not likely to develop something which more advanced users
might enjoy using. If it's not point and click, Microsoft has little
interest in it. However, considering how much work they put into
PowerTools, you would expect them to try harder with the simpler
commands used in a Command Prompt session.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: Who's paying you morons to update all the time ?!

<url2gs$3887t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10649&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10649

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 16:27:08 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 16:27 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 05:05:28 -0800 (Seattle), "Relf"
<Usenet@Jeff-Relf.Me> wrote in <Jeff-Relf.Me@Feb.27--5.05am.Seattle.2024>:

> Who's paying you morons to update all the time ?! That's what I want to
> know.

You didn't specify an OS.

Are you talking about Linux updates? They don't get
in the way and are fairly painless.

Try and say that about Windows updates...

--
-v

Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<url7lr$3b4h0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10652&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10652

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
beginning later this year
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:55:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:55 UTC

On 2024-02-27, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
> On 2024-02-27 9:30 a.m., candycanearter07 wrote:

>>> I would love for them to allow for updates to be done from the command
>>> line. I usually install or upgrade my software using winget and I find
>>> it to be a lot safer, faster and more efficient than the traditional way.
>>
>> It's MS, so I'm not holding my breath.
>
> Yeah, they're not likely to develop something which more advanced users
> might enjoy using. If it's not point and click, Microsoft has little
> interest in it. However, considering how much work they put into
> PowerTools, you would expect them to try harder with the simpler
> commands used in a Command Prompt session.

Well, they're pushing Powershell way harder nowadays.

Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<hEpDN.104393$Vrtf.37225@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10654&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10654

later this year
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:14:37 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:14 UTC

On 2024-02-27 12:55 p.m., candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 2024-02-27, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:

>>> It's MS, so I'm not holding my breath.
>>
>> Yeah, they're not likely to develop something which more advanced users
>> might enjoy using. If it's not point and click, Microsoft has little
>> interest in it. However, considering how much work they put into
>> PowerTools, you would expect them to try harder with the simpler
>> commands used in a Command Prompt session.
>
> Well, they're pushing Powershell way harder nowadays.

Mayve this is an unpopular opinion but I can't stand PowerShell.

--
RabidPedagog

Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<urlbfv$3br4e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10660&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10660

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
beginning later this year
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:00:14 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 19:00 UTC

RabidPedagog wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2024-02-27 12:55 p.m., candycanearter07 wrote:

>>> Yeah, they're not likely to develop something which more advanced users
>>> might enjoy using. If it's not point and click, Microsoft has little
>>> interest in it. However, considering how much work they put into
>>> PowerTools, you would expect them to try harder with the simpler
>>> commands used in a Command Prompt session.
>>
>> Well, they're pushing Powershell way harder nowadays.
>
> Mayve this is an unpopular opinion but I can't stand PowerShell.

It is quite powerful, but I find the verb-noun format a bit stilted. I still
prefer BAT files, they do all I've ever needed.

Well, almost. That's why I install Git Bash on Windows.

--
A morgue is a morgue is a morgue. They can paint the walls with aggressively
cheerful primary colors and splashy bold graphics, but it's still a holding

Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<urleg2$3cn7v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10662&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10662

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
beginning later this year
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 19:51:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 19:51 UTC

On 2024-02-27, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
> On 2024-02-27 12:55 p.m., candycanearter07 wrote:

>>> Yeah, they're not likely to develop something which more advanced users
>>> might enjoy using. If it's not point and click, Microsoft has little
>>> interest in it. However, considering how much work they put into
>>> PowerTools, you would expect them to try harder with the simpler
>>> commands used in a Command Prompt session.
>>
>> Well, they're pushing Powershell way harder nowadays.
>
> Mayve this is an unpopular opinion but I can't stand PowerShell.

I 100% agree, it just feels too different in syntax to cmd or bash.
The weird command structure and terrible color palette doesn't help
either.

Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<ZCsDN.5$hN14.4@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10668&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10668

later this year
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 16:38:05 -0500
 by: DFS - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 21:38 UTC

On 2/27/2024 1:14 PM, RabidPedagog wrote:

> Mayve this is an unpopular opinion but I can't stand PowerShell.

Do you actually know enough about it to form that opinion?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/learn/ps101/00-introduction?view=powershell-7.4

Overall it's a clunky language, but very powerful.

Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<lKsDN.7$hN14.0@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10669&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10669

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
later this year
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 16:45:57 -0500
 by: DFS - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 21:45 UTC

On 2/27/2024 1:14 PM, RabidPedagog wrote:

> Mayve this is an unpopular opinion but I can't stand PowerShell.

Do you actually know enough about it to form that opinion?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/learn/ps101/00-introduction?view=powershell-7.4

Overall it's a clunky language, but very powerful.

Re: Windows security updates could come with fewer reboots beginning later this year

<EXvDN.1763$hN14.1560@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10688&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10688

later this year
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:24:49 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:24 UTC

On 2024-02-27 4:38 p.m., DFS wrote:
> On 2/27/2024 1:14 PM, RabidPedagog wrote:
>

>> Mayve this is an unpopular opinion but I can't stand PowerShell.
>

> Do you actually know enough about it to form that opinion?
>
> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/learn/ps101/00-introduction?view=powershell-7.4
>
> Overall it's a clunky language, but very powerful.

I know it's great, I just think that it's mostly cumbersome.