"Any excuse will serve a tyrant." -- Aesop

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: Question about setting up secondary news server accountI

SubjectAuthor
* Question about setting up secondary news server accountIRichard Owlett
+- Question about setting up secondary news server accountIDon Vito Martinelli
`* Question about setting up secondary news server accountIDaniel65
 `* Question about setting up secondary news server accountIRichard Owlett
  `- Question about setting up secondary news server accountIDaniel65

1
Question about setting up secondary news server accountI

<G9-dnZvDiuNG4YD4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1057&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1057

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Subject: Question about setting up secondary news server accountI
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 09:55:23 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 14:55 UTC

I encountered some temporary problems with my connection to Supernews.

I just set up an eternal-september.org account.

Is there a quick/simple way to select the same newsgroup subscriptions
as I already have with Supernews?
Or do I have to plod thru selecting them one-by-one? Tedious and error
prone.

TIA

Re: Question about setting up secondary news server accountI

<ufk1jh$c8p3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1058&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1058

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Vito Martinelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:50:09 +0200
 by: Don Vito Martinelli - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 15:50 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote:
> I encountered some temporary problems with my connection to Supernews.
>
> I just set up an eternal-september.org account.
>
> Is there a quick/simple way to select the same newsgroup subscriptions
> as I already have with Supernews?
> Or do I have to plod thru selecting them one-by-one? Tedious and error
> prone.
>
> TIA

How many subscriptions are we talking about here? I migrated six to
Eternal September and then added four eternal-september.* groups
(config, test, info and support).
With just six newsgroups the process was pretty painless, if you supply
a keyword (such as "seamonkey") you will be offered all groups
containing "seamonkey" in their names.

Re: Question about setting up secondary news server accountI

<ufm2h4$t5jq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1059&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1059

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:18:11 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:18 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote on 5/10/23 1:55 am:
> I encountered some temporary problems with my connection to Supernews.
>
> I just set up an eternal-september.org account.
>
> Is there a quick/simple way to select the same newsgroup subscriptions
> as I already have with Supernews?
> Or do I have to plod thru selecting them one-by-one? Tedious and error
> prone.
>
> TIA

Richard, in your news account, you should find a TEXT file called (in my
example) news.eternal-september.org.rc which contains a line of data for
each newsgroup that I check out on the E-S server and then, against each
newsgroup name, the message numbers of those messages in each group
which you have read or, at least, marked as read.

If you see, for example, 'alt.comp.software.seamonkey:
1-46792,46794-46878,46880-47361' against one of the newsgroups that
means that, in that particular newsgroup (alt.comp.software.seamonkey),
there are only two message between message 1 and message 47,361 that you
haven't read, messages 46793 and 46878. If you had read all the messages
in that newsgroup you would see '1-47361' (or what ever the number of
the last message in that newsgroup is).

Each news-server that you subscribe to will have its own ".rc" file and
each newsgroup that you subscribe to on that news-server will have its
own seperate line HOWEVER if the line is very long, it may APPEAR to be
on several lines but, if you open your text-viewer screen wide enough,
the data for each newsgroup *IS* on one line.

And *NOTE* THE '.rc' FILE IS A *TEXT ONLY* FILE so don't use a
Word-processor to examine the '.rc' file or, especially, to *SAVE* the
'.rc' file, use a TEXT ONLY program such a KWrite or Notepad or similar.
Proper Word-processors stuff up the formatting with-in the file, making
it unusable for SeaMonkey

HTH
--
Daniel

Re: Question about setting up secondary news server accountI

<bCOdncIg3OuNIYP4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1060&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1060

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 08:37:20 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 13:37 UTC

On 10/05/2023 05:18 AM, Daniel65 wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote on 5/10/23 1:55 am:
>> I encountered some temporary problems with my connection to Supernews.
>>
>> I just set up an eternal-september.org account.
>>
>> Is there a quick/simple way to select the same newsgroup subscriptions
>> as I already have with Supernews?
>> Or do I have to plod thru selecting them one-by-one? Tedious and error
>> prone.
>>
>> TIA
>>
> Richard, in your news account, you should find a TEXT file called (in my
> example) news.eternal-september.org.rc which contains a line of data for
> each newsgroup that I check out on the E-S server and then, against each
> newsgroup name, the message numbers of those messages in each group
> which you have read or, at least, marked as read.
>
> If you see, for example, 'alt.comp.software.seamonkey:
> 1-46792,46794-46878,46880-47361' against one of the newsgroups that
> means that, in that particular newsgroup (alt.comp.software.seamonkey),
> there are only two message between message 1 and message 47,361 that you
> haven't read, messages 46793 and 46878. If you had read all the messages
> in that newsgroup you would see '1-47361' (or what ever the number of
> the last message in that newsgroup is).
>
> Each news-server that you subscribe to will have its own ".rc" file and
> each newsgroup that you subscribe to on that news-server will have its
> own seperate line HOWEVER if the line is very long, it may APPEAR to be
> on several lines but, if you open your text-viewer screen wide enough,
> the data for each newsgroup *IS* on one line.
>
> And *NOTE* THE '.rc' FILE IS A *TEXT ONLY* FILE so don't use a
> Word-processor to examine the '.rc' file or, especially, to *SAVE* the
> '.rc' file, use a TEXT ONLY program such a KWrite or Notepad or similar.
> Proper Word-processors stuff up the formatting with-in the file, making
> it unusable for SeaMonkey
>
> HTH

Thank you for taking my problem statement literally.
Don saw no big deal with transferring a half-dozen groups.
I, a senior citizen with ADHD, wanted a structured method to transfer
over a dozen.

After taking a long break and a cup of coffee, I realized I was
conflating my newsgroup task with an unrelated email issue.

I found my solution by examining the news.supernews.com directory of my
news account and noting that each newsgroup had an associated ".msf"
file. There were 28 files listed with 15 files having a current
modification date. [i.e. currently active]
Using a command line of
ls *.msf -tln --time-style "+ %m-%d-%Y " |cut -c -40
yielded an easily edited list yielding the the names of currently active
groups.

Examining news.supernews.com.rc yielded a list of 33 groups.
The significance of the additional 5 groups unknown.

Thanks again.

Re: Question about setting up secondary news server accountI

<ufok23$1fkum$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1061&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1061

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:29:41 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 09:29 UTC

--
Daniel