"Thank heaven for startups; without them we'd never have any advances." -- Seymour Cray

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...

SubjectAuthor
* OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...RabidPedagog
`* Re: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...candycanearter07
 `* Re: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...RabidPedagog
  `* Re: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...candycanearter07
   `* Re: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...RabidPedagog
    `- Re: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...candycanearter07

1
OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...

<66MCN.101663$m4d.62521@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10592&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10592

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Subject: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:59:12 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:59 UTC

.... my fingerprint sensor and sound issues were caused by the fact that
when the technicians replaced my keyboard and battery, they seated the
battery atop an audio wire. The fact that the battery was screwed into
place squashed the audio wire which disabled the bass and somehow
shorted the fingerprint sensor. It's amazing what one little wire can do.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...

<uribvf$2k4uj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10627&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10627

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:50:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:50 UTC

On 2024-02-25, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
> ... my fingerprint sensor and sound issues were caused by the fact that
> when the technicians replaced my keyboard and battery, they seated the
> battery atop an audio wire. The fact that the battery was screwed into
> place squashed the audio wire which disabled the bass and somehow
> shorted the fingerprint sensor. It's amazing what one little wire can do.

Well yeah, computer connectors aren't usually built with redundacies.

Re: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...

<xS2DN.60432$9cLc.50555@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10628&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10628

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 11:19:41 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 16:19 UTC

On 2024-02-26 10:50 a.m., candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 2024-02-25, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
>> ... my fingerprint sensor and sound issues were caused by the fact that
>> when the technicians replaced my keyboard and battery, they seated the
>> battery atop an audio wire. The fact that the battery was screwed into
>> place squashed the audio wire which disabled the bass and somehow
>> shorted the fingerprint sensor. It's amazing what one little wire can do.
>
> Well yeah, computer connectors aren't usually built with redundacies.

I can understand how the wire would cause the speakers to disable the
bass but how it affected the fingerprint sensor which is now very
reliable is beyond me.

--
RabidPedagog

Re: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...

<urieag$2kmnr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10629&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10629

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 16:30:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 16:30 UTC

On 2024-02-26, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
> On 2024-02-26 10:50 a.m., candycanearter07 wrote:
>> On 2024-02-25, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
>>> ... my fingerprint sensor and sound issues were caused by the fact that
>>> when the technicians replaced my keyboard and battery, they seated the
>>> battery atop an audio wire. The fact that the battery was screwed into
>>> place squashed the audio wire which disabled the bass and somehow
>>> shorted the fingerprint sensor. It's amazing what one little wire can do.
>>
>> Well yeah, computer connectors aren't usually built with redundacies.
>
> I can understand how the wire would cause the speakers to disable the
> bass but how it affected the fingerprint sensor which is now very
> reliable is beyond me.

Maybe it's something to do with the voltage?

Re: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...

<ct4DN.80320$5Hnd.74081@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10631&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10631

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 13:09:12 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:09 UTC

On 2024-02-26 11:30 a.m., candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 2024-02-26, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well yeah, computer connectors aren't usually built with redundacies.
>>
>> I can understand how the wire would cause the speakers to disable the
>> bass but how it affected the fingerprint sensor which is now very
>> reliable is beyond me.
>
> Maybe it's something to do with the voltage?

That's what I figured. It was either not supplying enough or too much...
either way, it works well now. The computer feels brand new now.

--
RabidPedagog

Re: OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...

<urikoi$2m65c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10632&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10632

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:20:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:20 UTC

On 2024-02-26, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
> On 2024-02-26 11:30 a.m., candycanearter07 wrote:

>>> I can understand how the wire would cause the speakers to disable the
>>> bass but how it affected the fingerprint sensor which is now very
>>> reliable is beyond me.
>>
>> Maybe it's something to do with the voltage?
>
> That's what I figured. It was either not supplying enough or too much...
> either way, it works well now. The computer feels brand new now.

Glad there's a happy ending :D

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / OT: It wasn't Windows or the hardware...