From: ff@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Subject: Gentoo Amazes Yet Again
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 14:41:50 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 14:41 UTC

I just noticed that the C++ packages "imath" and "openexr" can both
be built with an option called "large-stack."

Presumably, large-stack allows objects to be allocated on the
stack rather than the heap and this is much, much, much faster.

Thus, on Gentoo, I just added the "large-stack" option and the
two above packages were automagically re-built to use the stack.

I pity those poor distro lackeys that must accept their generic
junk.

My Gentoo system is 37% faster and now uses large stack.

Brother, if you ain't using Gentoo then, please, run don't walk
to the nearest psycho ward.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Re: Gentoo Amazes Yet Again

<urdc2l$1aq22$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10564&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10564

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Gentoo Amazes Yet Again
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 13:21:09 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:21 UTC

Farley Flud wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> I just noticed that the C++ packages "imath" and "openexr" can both
> be built with an option called "large-stack."
>
> Presumably, large-stack allows objects to be allocated on the
> stack rather than the heap and this is much, much, much faster.

Actually, a few years ago I did a timing test allocating data on the heap
versus the stack, and the heap was pretty close in time.

There could be some wrinkles in the setup I had, but at the time the
result surprised me. Perhaps my test took up so much time that it masked
the stack/heap times.

> Thus, on Gentoo, I just added the "large-stack" option and the
> two above packages were automagically re-built to use the stack.

IIRC I encountered a geospatial (?) application that required a large
stack. Again, years and years ago so my memory is dim.

> I pity those poor distro lackeys that must accept their generic
> junk.

Ever header of ulimit?

> My Gentoo system is 37% faster and now uses large stack.
>
> Brother, if you ain't using Gentoo then, please, run don't walk
> to the nearest psycho ward.

Where we can talk with you through a glass partition.

> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

My sentiment exactly. :-)

--
Tempt not a desperate man.
-- William Shakespeare, "Romeo and Juliet"

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: Gentoo Amazes Yet Again