From: bill@spikowski.com (Bill Spikowski)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Password managers
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:28:27 -0400
 by: Bill Spikowski - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:28 UTC

For years I have used LastPass with the Seamonkey browser on windows computers.

It has been getting more difficult all the time, since the only LastPass extension that works with SM version 2.53.12 is their version 3.3.4, which is hard to find and has its own issues.

LastPass is changing various of their rules, and this seems a good time for me to move on.

Seems there are lots of competitors now that will work on (most) browsers and (most) smartphones.

I tried to install 1password and ran into the same problem as Lastpass (firefox browser extension won't install on SM 2.53.12).

I then looked at Bitwarden, which seems similar but whose firefox extension installs just fine on Seamonkey 2.53.12.

Have others here successfully used Bitwarden with Seamonkey and with android phones?

Re: Password managers

<uf2f52$3bd3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1041&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1041

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: Password managers
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:50:56 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 23:50 UTC

Bill Spikowski wrote:
> For years I have used LastPass with the Seamonkey browser on windows
> computers.
>
> It has been getting more difficult all the time, since the only
> LastPass extension that works with SM version 2.53.12 is their
> version 3.3.4, which is hard to find and has its own issues.
>
> LastPass is changing various of their rules, and this seems a good
> time for me to move on.
>
> Seems there are lots of competitors now that will work on (most)
> browsers and (most) smartphones.
>
> I tried to install 1password and ran into the same problem as
> Lastpass (firefox browser extension won't install on SM 2.53.12).
>
> I then looked at Bitwarden, which seems similar but whose firefox
> extension installs just fine on Seamonkey 2.53.12.
>
> Have others here successfully used Bitwarden with Seamonkey and with
> android phones?

I haven't really played with tight integration of a third-party password
manager and Seamonkey. I'm content with KeePass, and it does what I
want, including that it's not a cloud service.

If you want closer integration than what KeePass does with its autotype
function, then you're generally going to have to rely on an extension.
I've done a little of this with KeePassXC and Firefox, but didn't spend
enough time with it that I could be comfortable with how it works.

For Seamonkey, we're now long past where any serious development is
happening to extensions, and even if you find something that works with
Seamonkey, it's going to be several years old. I'm not sure I want to
trust that with password data.

If you don't do KeePass, then I think your best bet in Seamonkey is
going to be in saving stuff through the Mozilla password manager --
*with* a strong password defined. If you have a master password, then
your content is encrypted, and fairly well protected. If you don't have
a master password, then all that content is pretty easily accessed, and
I have a tool from NirSoft that can dump all unencrypted passwords.

Unfortunately, the password manager in Seamonkey won't do anything for
sharing with an Android. What I do with my own passwords is that I
consider my KeePass store to be authoritative, although there are a
handful of frequently-used passwords that I will let Seamonkey keep
copies of. From there, I have Keepass2Android on my phone, and I
occasionally copy my KeePass store from my computer to my phone. I
don't need passwords on my phone often enough that I need to get new
copies of the KeePass store there.

No, it's not as convenient as synchronizing through a cloud-based
service, but it does what I want.

Smith

Re: Password managers

<uf3ua7$3mpmr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1044&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1044

From: bill@spikowski.com (Bill Spikowski)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:15:49 -0400
 by: Bill Spikowski - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 13:15 UTC

NFN Smith wrote:
> Bill Spikowski wrote:
>> For years I have used LastPass with the Seamonkey browser on windows
>> computers.
>>
>> It has been getting more difficult all the time, since the only
>> LastPass extension that works with SM version 2.53.12 is their
>> version 3.3.4, which is hard to find and has its own issues.
>>
>> LastPass is changing various of their rules, and this seems a good
>> time for me to move on.
>>
>> Seems there are lots of competitors now that will work on (most)
>> browsers and (most) smartphones.
>>
>> I tried to install 1password and ran into the same problem as
>> Lastpass (firefox browser extension won't install on SM 2.53.12).
>>
>> I then looked at Bitwarden, which seems similar but whose firefox
>> extension installs just fine on Seamonkey 2.53.12.
>>
>> Have others here successfully used Bitwarden with Seamonkey and with
>> android phones?
>
> I haven't really played with tight integration of a third-party password manager and Seamonkey. I'm content with KeePass, and it does what I want, including that it's not a cloud service.
>
> If you want closer integration than what KeePass does with its autotype function, then you're generally going to have to rely on an extension. I've done a little of this with KeePassXC and Firefox, but didn't spend enough time with it that I could be comfortable with how it works.
>
> For Seamonkey, we're now long past where any serious development is happening to extensions, and even if you find something that works with Seamonkey, it's going to be several years old.  I'm not sure I want to trust that with password data.
>
> If you don't do KeePass, then I think your best bet in Seamonkey is going to be in saving stuff through the Mozilla password manager -- *with* a strong password defined.  If you have a master password, then your content is encrypted, and fairly well protected. If you don't have a master password, then all that content is pretty easily accessed, and I have a tool from NirSoft that can dump all unencrypted passwords.
>
> Unfortunately, the password manager in Seamonkey won't do anything for sharing with an Android.  What I do with my own passwords is that I consider my KeePass store to be authoritative, although there are a handful of frequently-used passwords that I will let Seamonkey keep copies of.  From there, I have Keepass2Android on my phone, and I occasionally copy my KeePass store from my computer to my phone.  I don't need passwords on my phone often enough that I need to get new copies of the KeePass store there.
>
> No, it's not as convenient as synchronizing through a cloud-based service, but it does what I want.
>
> Smith

Thanks for the suggestion on KeePass -- I hadn't heard of it!

It sounds like your approach with Android would work for me. But what about with other browsers on a PC? I primarily use the Seamonkey browser, but with so many sites not working on SM anymore, I'm constantly switching to other browsers for those sites -- so I need access to my passwords from those other browsers. Also I need access when I'm traveling and working from my laptop. Would I have easy access to KeePass in those situations

Re: Password managers

<uf47g1$3oidf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1047&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1047

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:52:31 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:52 UTC

Bill Spikowski wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion on KeePass -- I hadn't heard of it!
>
> It sounds like your approach with Android would work for me. But what
> about with other browsers on a PC? I primarily use the Seamonkey
> browser, but with so many sites not working on SM anymore, I'm
> constantly switching to other browsers for those sites -- so I need
> access to my passwords from those other browsers. Also I need access
> when I'm traveling and working from my laptop. Would I have easy access
> to KeePass in those situations

Because KeePass isn't normally integrated with a browser (although there
are extensions that can be used with Firefox), it's actually ideal for
using with multiple browsers.

In KeePass, if you right-click on a password entry, you can choose
which browser you want to use, whether your default browser, or any
other that you have installed.

For me, knowing the number of sites that struggle with Seamonkey, I make
fairly frequent use of others (especially Firefox, and a copy of Edge
that I've made extensive reviews of privacy settings). If I know a
particular site struggles with Seamonkey and it requires a login, I
frequently will go to the site's login page via KeePass.

KeePass also is useful for non-browser use, if you have other
applications that require a user ID and password. In my case, I can save
login credentials (including certs) that I use in PuTTY for SSH
connections to a couple of servers. View the entry in KeePass, press
CTRL-U and PuTTY is opened and I'm logged into that server.

Smith

Re: Password managers

<wohRM.186190$_Lv6.178569@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1048&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1048

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: dave.r.yeo@gmail.com (Dave Yeo)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:58:19 -0700
 by: Dave Yeo - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:58 UTC

Bill Spikowski wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion on KeePass -- I hadn't heard of it!
>
> It sounds like your approach with Android would work for me. But what
> about with other browsers on a PC? I primarily use the Seamonkey
> browser, but with so many sites not working on SM anymore, I'm
> constantly switching to other browsers for those sites -- so I need
> access to my passwords from those other browsers. Also I need access
> when I'm traveling and working from my laptop. Would I have easy access
> to KeePass in those situations

I use a Keepass variant, the database is compatible with various forks
of Keepass and there is always the options of copying the user/password
to the clipboard and pasting it into another browser as well as copying
the database to different computers. Just have to worry about keeping
them in sync
Dave

Re: Password managers

<uf48gf$3opht$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1049&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1049

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:09:49 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:09 UTC

Dave Yeo wrote:
> I use a Keepass variant, the database is compatible with various forks
> of Keepass and there is always the options of copying the user/password
> to the clipboard and pasting it into another browser as well as copying
> the database to different computers. Just have to worry about keeping
> them in sync
> Dave

KeePassXC is the most common variant on computers. Unlike stock KeePass
that is Windows only, KeePassXC also supports Windows and MacOS. The
visual layout is a little cleaner, and not as many power user functions,
although a couple of things built in to KeePassXC that standard KeePass
requires plugins for.

Since I make some use of both Linux and Mac, I use KeePassXC there, and
I also have a copy of KeePassXC that I have on Windows that I use
occasionally. Both are able to interact with the same password store
file, without difficulty.

To me, there are two differences between the two that are especially
important:

- I haven't see capacity for drag-and-drop in KeePassXC. With KeePass,
you can drag password into a prompt, and you don't have to use Ctrl-C to
copy that password into your clipboard.

- KeePass has a synchronize function that I really like. My primary
copy of my password store is on my computer, but I keep a copy on my
LAN, where I can get to it with any computer that has access. When I
make changes to either copy, the sync function works well to synchronize
the two copies. When I update my phone, it's the LAN copy that I copy
to the phone.

I haven't really tried it but if you have tethered your phone to your
computer correctly, enough that you can browse the phone's file system
from the computer, it may be possible to use the KeePass sync function
there, although if you don't do it frequently, it may be easy enough to
simply copy the KeePass store.

Smith

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: Password managers