From: barryedwingilmour@gmail.com (Barryedwin1)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: hide toolbar grippies | grippy bars
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 18:50:39 +0800
 by: Barryedwin1 - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 10:50 UTC

There is a setting in the Browser window 'Preferences' Dialogue ~
"Appearance > Hide Toolbar Grippies"
that has an unforeseen side-effect ~

I occasionally collapse the top-toolbars completely, to get maximum
information at full size without shrink-zooming to make it fit in a frame.
I never noticed the toolbar-grippies and the grippy-bars were missing,
and don't recall previously encountering this "hide grippies" setting.

I collapsed the toolbars via top toolbar menu "View > Show/Hide" which
also collapsed the top toolbar menu ~ as expected.

Not only does this "Hide Toolbar Grippies" setting - hide the grippies,
but it also hides the grippy-bars (background) as well, so there is
nothing left to click-on in order to recall the Show/Hide menu.

Unchecking the 'Preferences' "Appearance | Hide Toolbar Grippies" box
via the Mail/Newsgroup, address_Book, Composer or Chatzilla Preference
windows - doesn't bring back the Browser grippies or toolbars.
(Each 'Preferences' instance, seems to only work on the window it is
opened in).

I had to resort to deleting all my local-profile except News and Mail,
and overwrite the profile from a recent backup, which did restore the
full complement of top Browser-window toolbars, All mail and news
messages etcetera.

Unchecking the 'Preferences' Dialogue ~ "Appearance > Hide Toolbar
Grippies" using the rebuilt profile, also restored the grippies and
their vertical grippy-bars' backgrounds (enabling the mouse right-click
to again expose the Show/Hide Toolbar menu).

For me at-least, from now on, I have to remember to uncheck that
'Preferences' Dialogue ~ "Appearance > Hide Toolbar Grippies" box, which
is now an extra step in updating SeaMonkey. HTH ~ Barry

Re: hide toolbar grippies | grippy bars

<knimnvFu65eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1032&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1032

From: frgrahl@gmx.net (frg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: hide toolbar grippies | grippy bars
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:50:07 +0200
 by: frg - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:50 UTC

Barryedwin1 wrote:
> There is a setting in the Browser window 'Preferences' Dialogue ~ "Appearance
> > Hide Toolbar Grippies"
> that has an unforeseen side-effect ~
>
> I occasionally collapse the top-toolbars completely, to get maximum
> information at full size without shrink-zooming to make it fit in a frame.
> I never noticed the toolbar-grippies and the grippy-bars were missing, and
> don't recall previously encountering this "hide grippies" setting.
>
> I collapsed the toolbars via top toolbar menu "View > Show/Hide" which also
> collapsed the top toolbar menu ~ as expected.
>
> Not only does this "Hide Toolbar Grippies" setting - hide the grippies, but it
> also hides the grippy-bars (background) as well, so there is nothing left to
> click-on in order to recall the Show/Hide menu.
>
> Unchecking the 'Preferences' "Appearance | Hide Toolbar Grippies" box via the
> Mail/Newsgroup, address_Book, Composer or Chatzilla Preference windows -
> doesn't bring back the Browser grippies or toolbars.
> (Each 'Preferences' instance, seems to only work on the  window it is opened in).
>
> I had to resort to deleting all my local-profile except News and Mail, and
> overwrite the profile from a recent backup, which did restore the full
> complement of top Browser-window toolbars, All mail and news messages etcetera.
>
> Unchecking the 'Preferences' Dialogue ~ "Appearance > Hide Toolbar Grippies"
> using the rebuilt profile, also restored the grippies and their vertical
> grippy-bars' backgrounds (enabling the mouse right-click to again  expose the
> Show/Hide Toolbar menu).
>
> For me at-least, from now on, I have to remember to uncheck that 'Preferences'
> Dialogue ~ "Appearance > Hide Toolbar Grippies" box, which is now an extra
> step in updating SeaMonkey. HTH ~ Barry

Menu bar is toggled with F10 under Linux and Windows so you can always show
it easy.

FRG

Re: hide toolbar grippies | grippy bars

<uf1e5n$34eco$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1034&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1034

From: barryedwingilmour@gmail.com (Barryedwin1)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 22:28:06 +0800
 by: Barryedwin1 - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:28 UTC

frg wrote on 27/9/23 8:50 pm:
> Barryedwin1 wrote:
>> There is a setting in the Browser window 'Preferences' Dialogue ~
>> "Appearance  > Hide Toolbar Grippies"
>> that has an unforeseen side-effect ~
>>
>> I occasionally collapse the top-toolbars completely, to get maximum
>> information at full size without shrink-zooming to make it fit in a
>> frame.
>> I never noticed the toolbar-grippies and the grippy-bars were missing,
>> and don't recall previously encountering this "hide grippies" setting.
>>
>> I collapsed the toolbars via top toolbar menu "View > Show/Hide" which
>> also collapsed the top toolbar menu ~ as expected.
>>
>> Not only does this "Hide Toolbar Grippies" setting - hide the
>> grippies, but it also hides the grippy-bars (background) as well, so
>> there is nothing left to click-on in order to recall the Show/Hide menu.
>>
>> Unchecking the 'Preferences' "Appearance | Hide Toolbar Grippies" box
>> via the Mail/Newsgroup, address_Book, Composer or Chatzilla Preference
>> windows - doesn't bring back the Browser grippies or toolbars.
>> (Each 'Preferences' instance, seems to only work on the  window it is
>> opened in).
>>
>> I had to resort to deleting all my local-profile except News and Mail,
>> and overwrite the profile from a recent backup, which did restore the
>> full complement of top Browser-window toolbars, All mail and news
>> messages etcetera.
>>
>> Unchecking the 'Preferences' Dialogue ~ "Appearance > Hide Toolbar
>> Grippies" using the rebuilt profile, also restored the grippies and
>> their vertical grippy-bars' backgrounds (enabling the mouse
>> right-click to again  expose the Show/Hide Toolbar menu).
>>
>> For me at-least, from now on, I have to remember to uncheck that
>> 'Preferences' Dialogue ~ "Appearance > Hide Toolbar Grippies" box,
>> which is now an extra step in updating SeaMonkey. HTH ~ Barry
>
>  Menu bar is toggled with F10 under Linux and Windows so you can always
> show it easy.
>
> FRG

Sorry ~ I forgot to mention I had tried Fn toggling already, and it
wouldn't work once I had lost all my toolbars. Only seems to work when
at least one of the top toolbars is present. (Maybe a typo, but it's F11
under Linux, not F10). HTH Barry

Re: hide toolbar grippies | grippy bars

<kniu4vFro1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1035&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1035

From: frgrahl@gmx.net (frg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:56:31 +0200
 by: frg - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:56 UTC

Barryedwin1 wrote:
> frg wrote on 27/9/23 8:50 pm:
>> Barryedwin1 wrote:
>>> There is a setting in the Browser window 'Preferences' Dialogue ~
>>> "Appearance  > Hide Toolbar Grippies"
>>> that has an unforeseen side-effect ~
>>>
>>> I occasionally collapse the top-toolbars completely, to get maximum
>>> information at full size without shrink-zooming to make it fit in a frame.
>>> I never noticed the toolbar-grippies and the grippy-bars were missing, and
>>> don't recall previously encountering this "hide grippies" setting.
>>>
>>> I collapsed the toolbars via top toolbar menu "View > Show/Hide" which also
>>> collapsed the top toolbar menu ~ as expected.
>>>
>>> Not only does this "Hide Toolbar Grippies" setting - hide the grippies, but
>>> it also hides the grippy-bars (background) as well, so there is nothing
>>> left to click-on in order to recall the Show/Hide menu.
>>>
>>> Unchecking the 'Preferences' "Appearance | Hide Toolbar Grippies" box via
>>> the Mail/Newsgroup, address_Book, Composer or Chatzilla Preference windows
>>> - doesn't bring back the Browser grippies or toolbars.
>>> (Each 'Preferences' instance, seems to only work on the  window it is
>>> opened in).
>>>
>>> I had to resort to deleting all my local-profile except News and Mail, and
>>> overwrite the profile from a recent backup, which did restore the full
>>> complement of top Browser-window toolbars, All mail and news messages
>>> etcetera.
>>>
>>> Unchecking the 'Preferences' Dialogue ~ "Appearance > Hide Toolbar
>>> Grippies" using the rebuilt profile, also restored the grippies and their
>>> vertical grippy-bars' backgrounds (enabling the mouse right-click to again
>>> expose the Show/Hide Toolbar menu).
>>>
>>> For me at-least, from now on, I have to remember to uncheck that
>>> 'Preferences' Dialogue ~ "Appearance > Hide Toolbar Grippies" box, which is
>>> now an extra step in updating SeaMonkey. HTH ~ Barry
>>
>>   Menu bar is toggled with F10 under Linux and Windows so you can always
>> show it easy.
>>
>> FRG
>
> Sorry ~ I forgot to mention I had tried Fn toggling already, and it wouldn't
> work once I had lost all my toolbars. Only seems to work when at least one of
> the top toolbars is present. (Maybe a typo, but it's F11 under Linux, not
> F10). HTH Barry

F11 gets you in and out of full screen. I tried with F10 and no toolbars
showing and it worked for me. Unless you are in full screen with F11.

FRG

Re: hide toolbar grippies | grippy bars

<uf1li0$363ae$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1036&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1036

From: barryedwingilmour@gmail.com (Barryedwin1)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 00:34:05 +0800
 by: Barryedwin1 - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:34 UTC

frg wrote on 27/9/23 10:56 pm:
> Barryedwin1 wrote:
>> frg wrote on 27/9/23 8:50 pm:

>>>   Menu bar is toggled with F10 under Linux and Windows so you can
>>> always show it easy.
>>>
>>> FRG
>>
>> Sorry ~ I forgot to mention I had tried Fn toggling already, and it
>> wouldn't work once I had lost all my toolbars. Only seems to work when
>> at least one of the top toolbars is present. (Maybe a typo, but it's
>> F11 under Linux, not F10). HTH Barry
>>

> F11 gets you in and out of full screen. I tried with F10 and no toolbars
> showing and it worked for me. Unless you are in full screen with F11.
>
> FRG

I'm officially bamboozled now, because after opening and closing
SeaMonkey a few times, everything again works as expected!
For a while there, Fn10 was only opening and closing the File menu while
the top toolbar was open, and not doing anything with the toolbars
closed, but now something has fixed itself.
Many thanks for taking scarce time to check this Frank. Much appreciated
and sorry for the noise. Barry.

Re: hide toolbar grippies | grippy bars

<lB%QM.33962$%_f1.7532@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1038&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1038

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:43:08 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 19:43 UTC

Barryedwin1 wrote:
> frg wrote on 27/9/23 10:56 pm:
>> Barryedwin1 wrote:

>>> Sorry ~ I forgot to mention I had tried Fn toggling already,
>>> and it wouldn't work once I had lost all my toolbars. Only
>>> seems to work when at least one of the top toolbars is
>>> present. (Maybe a typo, but it's F11 under Linux, not F10).
>>> HTH Barry
>>>

>> F11 gets you in and out of full screen. I tried with F10 and
>> no toolbars showing and it worked for me. Unless you are in
>> full screen with F11.
>>
>> FRG
>
> I'm officially bamboozled now, because after opening and
> closing SeaMonkey a few times, everything again works as expected!
> For a while there, Fn10 was only opening and closing the File
> menu while the top toolbar was open, and not doing anything
> with the toolbars closed, but now something has fixed itself.
> Many thanks for taking scarce time to check this Frank. Much
> appreciated and sorry for the noise. Barry.

On my windows 10 machine with latest seamonkey 64 (2.53.17.1),
the F11 toggles full screen, as expected, but F10 does
absolutely nothing nothing except move the focus to the "file"
button on the menu bar. Maybe each installation has it's own
mind :)

Re: hide toolbar grippies | grippy bars

<knjl69F4i81U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1039&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1039

From: frgrahl@gmx.net (frg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 23:29:45 +0200
 by: frg - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 21:29 UTC

Hank Rogers wrote:
> Barryedwin1 wrote:
>> frg wrote on 27/9/23 10:56 pm:

>>> F11 gets you in and out of full screen. I tried with F10 and no toolbars
>>> showing and it worked for me. Unless you are in full screen with F11.
>>>
>>> FRG
>>
>> I'm officially bamboozled now, because after opening and closing SeaMonkey a
>> few times, everything again works as expected!
>> For a while there, Fn10 was only opening and closing the File menu while the
>> top toolbar was open, and not doing anything with the toolbars closed, but
>> now something has fixed itself.
>> Many thanks for taking scarce time to check this Frank. Much appreciated and
>> sorry for the noise. Barry.
>
> On my windows 10 machine with latest seamonkey 64 (2.53.17.1), the F11 toggles
> full screen, as expected, but F10 does absolutely nothing nothing except move
> the focus to the "file" button on the menu bar.  Maybe each installation has
> it's own mind  :)

Hide the menu bar and then F10 will show it. Otherwise it does exactly do this
e.g. only select the first item in the menu bar. Under Windows it will show
the bar even after F11 switched to full screen. Not sure if this is the same
in Linux.

FRG