From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: A picture or video is worth a thousand words
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 19:03:14 -0500
 by: Joel - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 00:03 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdUXfsMTv7o

"I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as
Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it,
GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but
rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made
useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system
components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

"To address some common comments:
1) I know it's hard to read the text at the 30 second mark. I was
still learning to edit when making this video
2) "what OS/distro is ______?" The installer is for fedora, the next
one is a bunch of rices. This video was made in kdenlive on Ubuntu.
Don't confuse the Distro for the window manager.
3) It's very cool that you use arch btw
4) "I want to use Linux but _____" That's okay! As long as you have an
enjoyable and productive computing experience that's what matters."

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: A picture or video is worth a thousand words

<uqm9r7$3hfmj$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10190&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10190

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: A picture or video is worth a thousand words
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 00:21:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 00:21 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 19:03:14 -0500, Joel wrote:

> "I’d just like to interject for a moment. ... Linux is not an operating
system unto itself ..."

“On top of the operating system is the rest of the system
software. Here we find the command interpreter (shell), window
systems, compilers, editors, and similar application-independent
programs. It is important to realize that these programs are
definitely not part of the operating system, even though they are
typically supplied preinstalled by the computer manufacturer, or
in a package with the operating system if it is installed after
purchase. This is a crucial, but subtle, point. The operating
system is (usually) that portion of the software that runs in
kernel mode or supervisor mode. It is protected from user
tampering by the hardware ...”

-- Tanenbaum & Woodhull, “Operating Systems Design And
Implementation”, third edition, page 3

This is the well-known “Minix book”, without which Linux would probably
not have been created. And it is quite clearly using “operating system”
and “kernel” interchangeably, by saying that userland programs are not
part of the ”operating system”.

So by this definition, Linux is very definitely an “operating system”.