On a clear disk you can seek forever.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Locking the suggestions on a new tab?

SubjectAuthor
* Locking the suggestions on a new tab?micky
+* Locking the suggestions on a new tab?Stan Brown
|`- Locking the suggestions on a new tab?micky
+* Locking the suggestions on a new tab?Andy Burns
|`- Locking the suggestions on a new tab?micky
`* Locking the suggestions on a new tab?Brian Gregory
 `- Locking the suggestions on a new tab?micky

1
Locking the suggestions on a new tab?

<bahugip6f009gglntu48po7pbeuveelp46@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1005&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1005

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Locking the suggestions on a new tab?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:09:39 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:09 UTC

When you open a new tab, there is a searh box and 8 suggested webpages.

Two are sponsored and 6 it picks from those the user often uses.

Is there a way to lock the six in so they stay the same even if my usage
doesn't live up to their standards? I have a good selection now and
I want to keep it.

BTW, I think you can delete one or both sponsored links, but I don't
know if you can permanently replace them with your own.

Re: Locking the suggestions on a new tab?

<MPG.3f78eb5abc629489901a5@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1007&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1007

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Locking the suggestions on a new tab?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 13:33:08 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:33 UTC

On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:09:39 -0400, micky wrote:

> When you open a new tab, there is a searh box and 8 suggested webpages.
>
> Two are sponsored and 6 it picks from those the user often uses.
>
> Is there a way to lock the six in so they stay the same even if my usage
> doesn't live up to their standards? I have a good selection now and
> I want to keep it.
>

> BTW, I think you can delete one or both sponsored links, but I don't
> know if you can permanently replace them with your own.

You can save the new-tab page, edit it to remove the
two you don't want, save it under a new name (somewhere
other than your profile), then in the Home section of
Settings, under New Windows and Tabs, select Custom URL
and enter the URL of the saved page. For example, mine
is on drive E:, and its URL is
file:///e:/sb/bookmark/0.htm

Caution:
file:, not http: or https:
three slashes, not two
/ slashes in the path rather than backslashes.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA
https://BrownMath.com/

Re: Locking the suggestions on a new tab?

<7llugipqi7srt19jqfcago9buvm4pv54r5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1009&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1009

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:21:59 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:21 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 23 Sep 2023 13:33:08 -0700, Stan
Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:09:39 -0400, micky wrote:
>>
>> When you open a new tab, there is a searh box and 8 suggested webpages.
>>
>> Two are sponsored and 6 it picks from those the user often uses.
>>
>> Is there a way to lock the six in so they stay the same even if my usage
>> doesn't live up to their standards? I have a good selection now and
>> I want to keep it.
>>

>> BTW, I think you can delete one or both sponsored links, but I don't
>> know if you can permanently replace them with your own.
>
>You can save the new-tab page, edit it to remove the
>two you don't want, save it under a new name (somewhere
>other than your profile), then in the Home section of
>Settings, under New Windows and Tabs, select Custom URL
>and enter the URL of the saved page. For example, mine
>is on drive E:, and its URL is
>file:///e:/sb/bookmark/0.htm
>
>Caution:
>file:, not http: or https:
>three slashes, not two

Yes, one could eaisly miss these.

>/ slashes in the path rather than backslashes.

This is great. I'll do it.

And Usenet is great, the perfect answer in 24 minutes. Bah on webpages.

Re: Locking the suggestions on a new tab?

<kn98atFdfgoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1010&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1010

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 23:49:02 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:49 UTC

micky wrote:

> When you open a new tab, there is a searh box and 8 suggested webpages.
> Two are sponsored and 6 it picks from those the user often uses.
> Is there a way to lock the six in so they stay the same

Ever notice the little ellipsis that appears when you hover over each of
the six icons? Also a settings cog in the top right corner?

Re: Locking the suggestions on a new tab?

<knb7n0Fn2v7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1011&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1011

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:50:40 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 16:50 UTC

On 23/09/2023 21:09, micky wrote:
> When you open a new tab, there is a searh box and 8 suggested webpages.
>
> Two are sponsored and 6 it picks from those the user often uses.
>
> Is there a way to lock the six in so they stay the same even if my usage
> doesn't live up to their standards? I have a good selection now and
> I want to keep it.

Each one has a menu. Three dots show when you hover the mouse cursor
over them. Click the dots and one thing on that menu is "Pin" which
keeps that shortcut in its current position.

If you want a shortcut to something in particular to appear you could
either edit and change a shortcut that you don't want, or just access it
by typing its URL and usually very soon, if not immediately, it will get
a shortcut. URLs you only access via Bookmarks will not be automatically
given a shortcut.

> BTW, I think you can delete one or both sponsored links, but I don't
> know if you can permanently replace them with your own.

You can dismiss them (from the menu).

Or, more permanent, you can turn sponsored shortcuts off in:
Main menu / Settings / Home / Firefox Home Content / Shortcuts

That's the limit of what I know.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Locking the suggestions on a new tab?

<ig11hidt812uemgahh95c9n6vihc6rfjf2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1012&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1012

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:56:45 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 18:56 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sat, 23 Sep 2023 23:49:02 +0100, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> When you open a new tab, there is a searh box and 8 suggested webpages.
>> Two are sponsored and 6 it picks from those the user often uses.
>> Is there a way to lock the six in so they stay the same
>
>Ever notice the little ellipsis that appears when you hover over each of
>the six icons?

Oh, yeah. I guess I forgot that one can pin them.

>Also a settings cog in the top right corner?

That I didn't notice. I removed the sponsored links and when I put them
back one that I wanted, Home Depot, was gone. Jokes on me.

But you can also increase the number of lines, so I made it 3.

Thanks.

Re: Locking the suggestions on a new tab?

<s0s8hit4j2713v9jg50krijb9eodaqghmm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1054&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1054

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:11:04 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 18:11 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:50:40 +0100, Brian
Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

>On 23/09/2023 21:09, micky wrote:
>> When you open a new tab, there is a searh box and 8 suggested webpages.
>>
>> Two are sponsored and 6 it picks from those the user often uses.
>>
>> Is there a way to lock the six in so they stay the same even if my usage
>> doesn't live up to their standards? I have a good selection now and
>> I want to keep it.
>
>Each one has a menu. Three dots show when you hover the mouse cursor
>over them. Click the dots and one thing on that menu is "Pin" which
>keeps that shortcut in its current position.
>
>If you want a shortcut to something in particular to appear you could
>either edit and change a shortcut that you don't want, or just access it
>by typing its URL and usually very soon, if not immediately, it will get
>a shortcut. URLs you only access via Bookmarks will not be automatically
>given a shortcut.
>

>> BTW, I think you can delete one or both sponsored links, but I don't
>> know if you can permanently replace them with your own.
>
>You can dismiss them (from the menu).
>
>Or, more permanent, you can turn sponsored shortcuts off in:
>Main menu / Settings / Home / Firefox Home Content / Shortcuts
>
>That's the limit of what I know.

A lot more than I knew. Thanks a lot.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Locking the suggestions on a new tab?