Do not underestimate the value of print statements for debugging.

computers / comp.sys.tandy / Spam in the group

SubjectAuthor
* Spam in the groupBlack Epyon
`* Re: Spam in the groupBob Campbell
 `* Re: Spam in the groupbill
  `* Re: Spam in the groupBob Campbell
   `- Re: Spam in the groupbill

1
Spam in the group

<da59c08e-f7f8-481c-b323-fad02f86db50n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=100&group=comp.sys.tandy#100

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 07:01:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Spam in the group
From: Blackepyon01@yahoo.ca (Black Epyon)
 by: Black Epyon - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:01 UTC

Anybody with admin privileges able to ban Marry Najar, Vigdis Rupard, and Easter Rumley? They've been spamming download links for the past couple months. Likely bot accounts.

Re: Spam in the group

<XNqcnWWJRek4BPP4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=101&group=comp.sys.tandy#101

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Subject: Re: Spam in the group
From: none@none.none (Bob Campbell)
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 03:31:49 +0000
 by: Bob Campbell - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 03:31 UTC

Black Epyon <Blackepyon01@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Anybody with admin privileges able to ban Marry Najar, Vigdis Rupard, and
> Easter Rumley? They've been spamming download links for the past couple
> months. Likely bot accounts.

LOL, good one.

Seriously, there are no admins here. This is usenet. No one is “in
charge”. Anything goes. It’s up to you to filter out the shit.

Re: Spam in the group

<ktmaf8F9ajU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=102&group=comp.sys.tandy#102

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:22:41 -0500
 by: bill - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:22 UTC

On 12/4/2023 10:31 PM, Bob Campbell wrote:
> Black Epyon <Blackepyon01@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> Anybody with admin privileges able to ban Marry Najar, Vigdis Rupard, and
>> Easter Rumley? They've been spamming download links for the past couple
>> months. Likely bot accounts.
>>

> LOL, good one.
>
> Seriously, there are no admins here. This is usenet. No one is “in
> charge”. Anything goes. It’s up to you to filter out the shit.

That's not really true. All of the SPAM is coming from Google Groups.
The admins for the machines providing connections to Google should pull
the plug. That's how USENET works.

bill

Re: Spam in the group

<xsycnZUJB9kNH-v4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=103&group=comp.sys.tandy#103

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
From: none@none.none (Bob Campbell)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 03:31:28 +0000
 by: Bob Campbell - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 03:31 UTC

bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/4/2023 10:31 PM, Bob Campbell wrote:
>> Black Epyon <Blackepyon01@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>> Anybody with admin privileges able to ban Marry Najar, Vigdis Rupard, and
>>> Easter Rumley? They've been spamming download links for the past couple
>>> months. Likely bot accounts.
>>>

>> LOL, good one.
>>
>> Seriously, there are no admins here. This is usenet. No one is “in
>> charge”. Anything goes. It’s up to you to filter out the shit.
>>

> That's not really true. All of the SPAM is coming from Google Groups.
> The admins for the machines providing connections to Google should pull
> the plug. That's how USENET works.

You must be new to usenet. Again, there are no admins here. There are no
moderators here. Spam has been coming from Google Groups for many years.
Your spam is someone else’s free speech.

Filter it out on your end. Or just ignore it. No one at Google is going
to “pull the plug” on anything just because you are offended. It would
take millions of complaints to Google, and there just aren’t that many
people reading this stuff these days.

IOW, just get over it. Tell Thunderbird to ignore/delete anything coming
from Google Groups. Problem solved.

Also, you need to understand that this stuff comes and goes. The people
spamming here are also new to usenet. They think that millions of people
will see this stuff and it will help their business. The fact is that
there are very few people on the planet who know that usenet even exists.
Plus, most regulars with experience are already ignoring everything that
comes from Google Groups.

Plus, this group is basically dead anyway. The result is that maybe 10
people are seeing this shit. So after a few weeks the spammers go away.

Re: Spam in the group

<ktopapF2la0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=104&group=comp.sys.tandy#104

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 10:48:33 -0500
 by: bill - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:48 UTC

On 12/10/2023 10:31 PM, Bob Campbell wrote:
> bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> LOL, good one.
>>>
>>> Seriously, there are no admins here. This is usenet. No one is “in
>>> charge”. Anything goes. It’s up to you to filter out the shit.
>>>

>> That's not really true. All of the SPAM is coming from Google Groups.
>> The admins for the machines providing connections to Google should pull
>> the plug. That's how USENET works.
>
> You must be new to usenet.

New? I have been on USENET since the days it ran over POTS.

> Again, there are no admins here.

Of course there are admins. Who do you think runs the servers?

> There are no
> moderators here. Spam has been coming from Google Groups for many years.
> Your spam is someone else’s free speech.

Free speech has nothing to do with it.

> Filter it out on your end. Or just ignore it. No one at Google is going
> to “pull the plug” on anything just because you are offended. It would
> take millions of complaints to Google, and there just aren’t that many
> people reading this stuff these days.

It's not Google who should pull the plug. It's the servers who provide
Google with a connection to USENET. I admined a major USENET site for
over 20 years (Top 20 for many of them). There have always been rules.
And one of them was the admins responsibility to not allow SPAM coming
from their site.

Look up "USENET Death Penalty"
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/U/Usenet-Death-Penalty.html

bill