Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket. -- George Orwell

rocksolid / General / Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.org

SubjectAuthor
* Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.orgBill W
+* Re: Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.orgSyber Shock
|`* Re: Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.orgRetro Guy
| `- Re: Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.orgSyber Shock
`- Re: Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.orgRetro Guy

1
Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.org

<u2a7s9$idc$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=841&group=rocksolid.shared.general#841

From: nothing@nowhere.com (Bill W)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.admin.peering,rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.org
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 23:04:52 -0500
sha1:pmajqYv9aIkjpYQHtWQ5YwHf3+U= sha256:AlkJMTaaSF5EDuo6DgoUGIhtejE6wXSKiocsVYr9doM=
 by: Bill W - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 04:04 UTC

I sent three emails over the past three days to admin @ novabbs.org
with a cc to administrator & root at novabbs.org and I haven't heard a peep
back so I figured I might get a hold of the admin through here maybe.

I went to the suggested account creation site
http://novabbs.org/common/register.php

That asked for four things
Username (although I don't see anywhere where that username is ever used).
Email address (which is supposed to be the username in your nntp server).
Password (which is supposed to be the password in your nntp server setup).
And then a confirmation code from the email reply that is immediately sent.
When I entered that confirmation code, the site said my username was
created but I don't see anywhere else where the username is used yet.

Then I followed the nntp newsreader setup instructions at this site
http://novabbs.org/common/nodelist.php

Then I tried to post to news.novabbs.org:119 & news.novabbs.org:563 and
both failed with an authentication error. This happened for the past 3 days
on a post to a well known text newsgroups, so maybe it takes a few weeks
for the free account to be created? Or maybe I did something wrong?

What's the first (of two) usernames in the registration for anyway?

I used a username of my full email address as the nntp username.
And I used the password that I created at registration time.

What else do I need to do to post to a typical text newsgroup like this?
Thanks!

Re: Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.org

<0a0ffd8e6e1b453fa3341d713351fe13$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=842&group=rocksolid.shared.general#842

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.admin.peering,rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 23:44:14 -0500
logging-data="30080"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Syber Shock - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 04:44 UTC

On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 23:04:52 -0500
Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I sent three emails over the past three days to admin @ novabbs.org
> with a cc to administrator & root at novabbs.org and I haven't heard
> a peep back so I figured I might get a hold of the admin through here
> maybe.

<snip>

> I used a username of my full email address as the nntp username.

Your email address is not the username. The username is just the
username you signed up for. Try with that. I tested it and I have no
problem authenticating to the server at novabbs.org.

The admin has some major stuff going on and probably has not been able
to check his messages. You may not hear from him for several days at a
time.

If you created a account at novabbs.org you must use the news server
'news.novabbs.org.' Your username is just the username, not the full
email address. Authentication will fail if using the email address in
lieu of username.

Try logging into the web portal with the username and see if that
works. Then try your NNTP client with the username (not the email
address).

If you created a account at novabbs.org, and by chance you are are
trying to authenticate at i2pn.org or rocksolidbbs.com it won't work.
You must authenticate on the news server for the domain on which you
created the account.

If all this fails again check the network log in your news reader and
report any errors here.

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.org

<b4334a2a1c7a840767b28a0322fd16f9@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=843&group=rocksolid.shared.general#843

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.admin.peering,rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 06:25:34 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 06:25 UTC

Bill W wrote:

> I sent three emails over the past three days to admin @ novabbs.org
> with a cc to administrator & root at novabbs.org and I haven't heard a peep
> back so I figured I might get a hold of the admin through here maybe.

Strange, the only email I've seen is:
April 25, 2023 at 8:39 PM (MST)
To: admin@novabbs.org

which I replied to:
April 25, 2023 at 8:52 PM (MST)
To: (your email address)

Where I replied, "Please log into the news server with your username, not emai address."
(yes, I replied with the typo, lol)

> What else do I need to do to post to a typical text newsgroup like this?
> Thanks!

Posting here your questions is probably the best choice in the future.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.org

<21c435e976e52ccfa91af640a554da63@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=844&group=rocksolid.shared.general#844

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.admin.peering,rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 06:27:13 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 06:27 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 23:04:52 -0500
> Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:

>> I sent three emails over the past three days to admin @ novabbs.org
>> with a cc to administrator & root at novabbs.org and I haven't heard
>> a peep back so I figured I might get a hold of the admin through here
>> maybe.

> <snip>

>> I used a username of my full email address as the nntp username.

> Your email address is not the username. The username is just the
> username you signed up for. Try with that. I tested it and I have no
> problem authenticating to the server at novabbs.org.

> The admin has some major stuff going on and probably has not been able
> to check his messages. You may not hear from him for several days at a
> time.

> If you created a account at novabbs.org you must use the news server
> 'news.novabbs.org.' Your username is just the username, not the full
> email address. Authentication will fail if using the email address in
> lieu of username.

> Try logging into the web portal with the username and see if that
> works. Then try your NNTP client with the username (not the email
> address).

> If you created a account at novabbs.org, and by chance you are are
> trying to authenticate at i2pn.org or rocksolidbbs.com it won't work.
> You must authenticate on the news server for the domain on which you
> created the account.

> If all this fails again check the network log in your news reader and
> report any errors here.

Thank you for helping this user. It's nice to have a community willing to
assist other users :)

--
Retro Guy

Re: Shoutout to the nntp server admin at the novabbs.org

<b7dd26884747b17d9aa92355a8e5d262$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=845&group=rocksolid.shared.general#845

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 03:59:22 -0500
logging-data="19951"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Syber Shock - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 08:59 UTC

On Wed, 26 Apr 2023 06:27:13 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

<snip>
> Thank you for helping this user. It's nice to have a community
> willing to assist other users :)

You already did all the work. We all get to cash in. Profit!

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com