Vulcans never bluff. -- Spock, "The Doomsday Machine", stardate 4202.1

rocksolid / Rocksolid Nodes Help / Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

SubjectAuthor
* any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?vga256
+- any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?Syber Shock
`* any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?Retro Guy
 `* any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?vga256
  `* any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?vga256
   `* any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?Retro Guy
    `* any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?vga256
     +- any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?vga256
     `* any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?Retro Guy
      `* any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?vga256
       `* any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?vga256
        `* any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?vga256
         `- any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?vga256

1
any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<3e883b5dee069329b645a84c884270a7@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=362&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#362

From: vga@vga256.com (vga256)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 17:05:39 +0000
 by: vga256 - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 17:05 UTC

Retro guy,

I found out about RSL on news.software.nntp after I spent a week trying to configure inn2. I'm extremely impressed with what you've done - it combines a lot of the best parts of 90s bbs software and a usenet backend.

I ported the linux installer script to macOS-style directories, as well as made bug fixes to a few scripts as I fought my way through installing it. Took a couple of days, but I now have a working implementation on macOS 10.14.x. I've forked it to build my own custom implementation so I can add some new features, as well as fix the minor bugs I came across.

Would you be interested in reviewing a few pull requests for RSL?

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<597c1c6a60009d91c74ed12222091031$1@sybershock.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=363&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#363

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 14:17:19 -0500
logging-data="226562"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org";
posting-account="TzG3Hl99Aa0Fgb506WreKRgRTO2mG9+aGjVDifyfNqo";
 by: Syber Shock - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 19:17 UTC

On Sat, 1 Jul 2023 17:05:39 +0000
vga@vga256.com (vga256) wrote:

> Retro guy,
>
> I found out about RSL on news.software.nntp after I spent a week
> trying to configure inn2. I'm extremely impressed with what you've
> done - it combines a lot of the best parts of 90s bbs software and a
> usenet backend.
>
> I ported the linux installer script to macOS-style directories, as
> well as made bug fixes to a few scripts as I fought my way through
> installing it. Took a couple of days, but I now have a working
> implementation on macOS 10.14.x. I've forked it to build my own
> custom implementation so I can add some new features, as well as fix
> the minor bugs I came across.
>
> Would you be interested in reviewing a few pull requests for RSL?

I am curious. Did you clone origin and check out a new branch for
MacOS? I'd like to have a look if you have a public repo link.

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<80b037d632ae0469a790f1f10d74f439@rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=364&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#364

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 20:14:20 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 20:14 UTC

vga256 wrote:

> Retro guy,

> I found out about RSL on news.software.nntp after I spent a week trying to configure inn2. I'm extremely impressed with what you've done - it combines a lot of the best parts of 90s bbs software and a usenet backend.

> I ported the linux installer script to macOS-style directories, as well as made bug fixes to a few scripts as I fought my way through installing it. Took a couple of days, but I now have a working implementation on macOS 10.14.x. I've forked it to build my own custom implementation so I can add some new features, as well as fix the minor bugs I came across.

> Would you be interested in reviewing a few pull requests for RSL?

Very nice, porting to macOS is interesting. I don't have access to macOS (other than stealing my wife's work laptop) to test it.

I would be very interested in seeing your modifications and fixes. Are you running on php 8.2?

--
Retro Guy

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<0cb688c4204519efc8f34ad1c47588e3@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=365&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#365

From: vga@vga256.com (vga256)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 00:49:31 +0000
 by: vga256 - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 00:49 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Very nice, porting to macOS is interesting. I don't have access to macOS (other than stealing my wife's work laptop) to test it.
> I would be very interested in seeing your modifications and fixes. Are you running on php 8.2?

Yes - I'm running running 8.2.7, nginx 1.23.2, letsencrypt, and the current version of RSL. There are still some outstanding tweaks I need to make to the installer script before I can submit a PR.

The other bugs are just snags I stumbled upon as I worked my way through the install and configuration. Will provide you with a git repo as soon as I've got the fixes documented properly.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<cf7bb2a5eab132efdeff722751cb8568@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=366&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#366

From: vga@vga256.com (vga256)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 03:44:52 +0000
 by: vga256 - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 03:44 UTC

Update: Here is the repo with a few commits I've made. Welcome to any feedback - hopefully the commit messages help make sense of them.

https://github.com/vga-256/tomo-rslight

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<900acfa5d98c2255dc3c2af1c41c2338@rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=367&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#367

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 18:08:23 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 18:08 UTC

vga256 wrote:

> Update: Here is the repo with a few commits I've made. Welcome to any feedback - hopefully the commit messages help make sense of them.

Thanks for the efforts! I plan to apply most of this and appreciate it.

Here are my thoughts:

* Used freeBSD install script as base, and modified it to use macOS-s…
Thanks for this install script!

* At least under macOS (but possibly elsewhere?), config.inc.php must…
I believe this will break $title. It will always use the title prefix
from rslight.inc.php, and not display the rest ( - computers - <etc> )
config.inc.php is sourced in files using head.inc, but after calling
head.inc.
Does it not work the way it is on macOS? What error does it throw, if any?

* fixed bracket use for variable $ssltime
Good catch, thanks!

* bugfix: $ssldir was not being set in cron.php despite being used by…
Looks good. Should we set this in config.inc.php, so it is only set
one time in one file? nntp-ssl.php and cron.php both source config.inc.php

* bug fix: if the no_verify field was blank, e-mail verifications wou…
I was aware of this bug, but never got around to doing anything about it
Thanks!

* Added login failure output.
Looks good!

* upload.php now checks for user login instead of prompting for a login
I originally forced a login as is done when posting or checking mail, but
you're right, for upload it's probably ok to just check if logged in.

* Removed "Logged in as", as this information is no longer necessary
Should we maybe leave this for the occasion someone may have more than
one account? This may help avoid uploading under the wrong username.

--
Retro Guy

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<dc8a1a49de2281464ada24380783d024@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=368&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#368

From: vga@vga256.com (vga256)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 04:32:14 +0000
 by: vga256 - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 04:32 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Thanks for the efforts! I plan to apply most of this and appreciate it.

My pleasure. You've written one hell of a good package, and I hope these tweaks can add some user-friendly QoL improvements.

> Here are my thoughts:

> * At least under macOS (but possibly elsewhere?), config.inc.php must…
> I believe this will break $title. It will always use the title prefix
> from rslight.inc.php, and not display the rest ( - computers - <etc> )
> config.inc.php is sourced in files using head.inc, but after calling
> head.inc.
> Does it not work the way it is on macOS? What error does it throw, if any?

I have no idea why I was seeing this error earlier - I reverted the commit, and everything works fine. I'll keep an eye out for it - perhaps it only appeared after a fresh install? Either way, it's fine now. Thanks.

> * bugfix: $ssldir was not being set in cron.php despite being used by…
> Looks good. Should we set this in config.inc.php, so it is only set
> one time in one file? nntp-ssl.php and cron.php both source config.inc.php

Yup that would be even better. Good catch. I'm still getting used to the variable locations and config files. I will probably make a lot of these kinds of errors until I've got a better sense of how it's all glued together.

> * Removed "Logged in as", as this information is no longer necessary
> Should we maybe leave this for the occasion someone may have more than
> one account? This may help avoid uploading under the wrong username.

Good point - I hadn't thought of that. Will restore that one.

I've just added a few more commits. It took me the better part of the day to figure out exactly how $config_name/groups.txt is loaded, cached, and reloaded. I've added a new script the allows for manually forcing a reload.

My goal with adding this function is building towards user (or admin)-created groups from the web interface. e.g. like reddit, people can create their own groups. This probably doesn't fit into RSL's core functionality, but the commits are there if you're interested in adding something like that.

With tomo, I'm aiming for creating a reddit-like distributed forum system, with group creation & moderation tools.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<c3b317fe2794ad66a745b4f84e40d6a1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=369&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#369

From: vga@vga256.com (vga256)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 04:48:36 +0000
 by: vga256 - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 04:48 UTC

vga256 wrote:
>> * At least under macOS (but possibly elsewhere?), config.inc.php must…
>> I believe this will break $title. It will always use the title prefix
>> from rslight.inc.php, and not display the rest ( - computers - <etc> )
>> config.inc.php is sourced in files using head.inc, but after calling
>> head.inc.
>> Does it not work the way it is on macOS? What error does it throw, if any?

> I have no idea why I was seeing this error earlier - I reverted the commit, and everything works fine. I'll keep an eye out for it - perhaps it only appeared after a fresh install? Either way, it's fine now. Thanks.

Ha, of course 2 minutes after I hit send, the error returned. It occurs in common/nodelist.php:
------
Warning: Undefined variable $title in /common/head.inc on line 6

Deprecated: htmlspecialchars(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in common/head.inc on line 6

Warning: Undefined variable $config_dir in common/head.inc on line 11
--------

I imagine this is because nodelist.php does not have its own include "config.inc.php"; at the top of the file, prior to head.inc being included.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<4482a1fc5a5df906be7ffbfcd96380f7@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=370&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#370

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 17:14:55 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 17:14 UTC

vga256 wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

> I've just added a few more commits. It took me the better part of the day to figure out exactly how $config_name/groups.txt is loaded, cached, and reloaded. I've added a new script the allows for manually forcing a reload.

> My goal with adding this function is building towards user (or admin)-created groups from the web interface. e.g. like reddit, people can create their own groups. This probably doesn't fit into RSL's core functionality, but the commits are there if you're interested in adding something like that.

Your commits are looking good. I'm glad you can read my code, lol.

* newsportal.php now allows a force reload of groups.txt, by suppling…
… (force_reload=true) as the third parameter to groups_read();

The parameter 'load' is only set to 1 from the same place you are setting the new parameter. We should probably just mod newsportal.php to skip the cache if load===1, then no need for a new parameter. So, 'load' does exactly what you're trying to achieve, except it did use a cache if exists, we can just remove that, or better yet, set a variable to define whether to use the cache or not.

* post.php now checks for existing user login. If the user is logged
…in, they are not presented with username/password fields

I'm currently sitting in hospital getting drugs dumped into my body, so my brain may be a bit messed up right now, but I can't see where $logged_in is being set.

This I would also, at least on my end, would use a variable to decide whether to do this. Maybe a secondary config file? I've been considering that for a while now.

* Added include "config.inc.php" include so head.inc can load properly.

Looks good. nodelist is from an old text file (pre-rslight), so I never really did anything to improve it. It could use some work.

> With tomo, I'm aiming for creating a reddit-like distributed forum system, with group creation & moderation tools.

That sounds awesome. I would love to see an implementation of rslight used this way.

BTW, I only recently addressed making sure local only groups work ok. I was very focused on shared nntp groups (obviously), but over the past month or so put effort into testing local groups with no $remote_server.

--
Retro Guy

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<2275ada8c706af49f3e8206af215ae74@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=371&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#371

From: vga@vga256.com (vga256)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:22:18 +0000
 by: vga256 - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:22 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Your commits are looking good. I'm glad you can read my code, lol.

Yup it's been straightforward - I appreciate that you've commented it throughout. The real grief comes with what I imagine is Florian's old code - a mix of german and english, difficult to parse! :D I've been slowly replacing german variables with their english equivalents, but it's slow work.

> The parameter 'load' is only set to 1 from the same place you are setting the new parameter. We should probably just mod newsportal.php to skip the cache if load===1, then no need for a new parameter. So, 'load' does exactly what you're trying to achieve, except it did use a cache if exists, we can just remove that, or better yet, set a variable to define whether to use the cache or not.

That's a good point. I wasn't sure if I was going to break something elsewhere by changing the caching behaviour with (load == 1), so I added another variable to play it safe. I like the idea of having a cache, and being able to force reloads is helpful, rather than enabling/disabling it completely.

> I'm currently sitting in hospital getting drugs dumped into my body, so my brain may be a bit messed up right now, but I can't see where $logged_in is being set.

that one's being set on lines 331-348 of my post.php commit:
<?php
if ($logged_in)
{

> That sounds awesome. I would love to see an implementation of rslight used this way.

I'm really aiming to keep my fork rslight-compatible at the NNTP level (e.g. keep all of RSL's custom headers) to ensure peering compatibility between servers. I'm still working out how exactly peering might work when it comes to local vs. remote groups.

> BTW, I only recently addressed making sure local only groups work ok. I was very focused on shared nntp groups (obviously), but over the past month or so put effort into testing local groups with no $remote_server.

Ah ha.. I noticed a few calls to local_groups.txt and I was wondering how I might take advantage of that. Exactly the functionality I needed!

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<22b7d33b9f995d10463097cfa40c02de@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=372&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#372

From: vga@vga256.com (vga256)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:26:25 +0000
References: <3e883b5dee069329b645a84c884270a7@news.novabbs.org> <80b037d632ae0469a790f1f10d74f439@rocksolidbbs.com> <0cb688c4204519efc8f34ad1c47588e3@news.novabbs.org> <cf7bb2a5eab132efdeff722751cb8568@news.novabbs.org> <900acfa5d98c2255dc3c2af1c41c2338@rocksolidbbs.com> <dc8a1a49de2281464ada24380783d024@news.novabbs.org> <4482a1fc5a5df906be7ffbfcd96380f7@news.novabbs.org> <2275ada8c706af49f3e8206af215ae74@news.novabbs.org>
 by: vga256 - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:26 UTC

>> I'm currently sitting in hospital getting drugs dumped into my body, so my brain may be a bit messed up right now, but I can't see where $logged_in is being set.

oops just realized I misunderstood you. I'm setting $logged_in using ./rocksolid/auth.inc, which is included on line 57.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<8de1ba61aca96b57b21af06b2ef175bc@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=373&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#373

From: vga@vga256.com (vga256)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:37:54 +0000
References: <3e883b5dee069329b645a84c884270a7@news.novabbs.org> <80b037d632ae0469a790f1f10d74f439@rocksolidbbs.com> <0cb688c4204519efc8f34ad1c47588e3@news.novabbs.org> <cf7bb2a5eab132efdeff722751cb8568@news.novabbs.org> <900acfa5d98c2255dc3c2af1c41c2338@rocksolidbbs.com> <dc8a1a49de2281464ada24380783d024@news.novabbs.org> <4482a1fc5a5df906be7ffbfcd96380f7@news.novabbs.org> <2275ada8c706af49f3e8206af215ae74@news.novabbs.org> <22b7d33b9f995d10463097cfa40c02de@news.novabbs.org>
 by: vga256 - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:37 UTC

update: ha, and now I know why it was so confusing - I hadn't pushed auth.inc.php up to github. thanks for pointing this out.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: any interest in RSL bug fix PRs?

<4831fc2e5db53c75331bc9326121e949@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=381&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#381

From: vga@vga256.com (vga256)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 02:59:44 +0000
References: <3e883b5dee069329b645a84c884270a7@news.novabbs.org> <80b037d632ae0469a790f1f10d74f439@rocksolidbbs.com> <0cb688c4204519efc8f34ad1c47588e3@news.novabbs.org> <cf7bb2a5eab132efdeff722751cb8568@news.novabbs.org> <900acfa5d98c2255dc3c2af1c41c2338@rocksolidbbs.com> <dc8a1a49de2281464ada24380783d024@news.novabbs.org> <4482a1fc5a5df906be7ffbfcd96380f7@news.novabbs.org> <2275ada8c706af49f3e8206af215ae74@news.novabbs.org> <22b7d33b9f995d10463097cfa40c02de@news.novabbs.org> <8de1ba61aca96b57b21af06b2ef175bc@news.novabbs.org>
 by: vga256 - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 02:59 UTC

Updates:
newsportal.php now has reload_groups() which works great. No more relying upon cron.php, which takes the nntp server offline, to reload the groups
create_groups.php: web front that allows users to create groups on their own. it's still very rough, but i'll build it out over the next few days. i'll be building a user permissions/levels management system soon, to help facilitate that.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light