From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:42:30 -0500
logging-data="14837"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Syber Shock - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 16:42 UTC

How would I delete a single newsgroup from the spool and re-syncronize
just that one group without affecting the others? Do I also need to
delete the message store under articles/ or will rslight know which
messages are already downloaded on the re-sync?

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?

<cbea21cfa0dccef8985e07c1bc8607c8@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=325&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#325

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 17:09:46 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 17:09 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> How would I delete a single newsgroup from the spool and re-syncronize
> just that one group without affecting the others? Do I also need to
> delete the message store under articles/ or will rslight know which
> messages are already downloaded on the re-sync?

The copy of import-db3.php in the newest (php8) version of rslight does
that. This may work on php7 if you wish to try it. Just backup your
spool dir first.

You can find that file from github (php8 branch) here:
https://github.com/novabbs/rocksolid-light/blob/php8/Rocksolid_Light/rslight/scripts/import-db3.php

Usage is to switch to web user (www-data maybe?), then cd to where your
web accessible files are located spoolnews dir: (/var/www/html/spoolnews)

Then, if the group is alt.test:
php /etc/rslight/scripts/import-db3.php -reset alt.test

This removes the article from the article db, the overview, and removes
article number pointers.

Note: You should disable your cron job for rslight and verify spoolnews is not
running before doing this (ps aux | grep spool)

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?

<c32216ac3cdcf3c32421b8ee65247e5b$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=326&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#326

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 14:34:53 -0500
logging-data="1942"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Syber Shock - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:34 UTC

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 17:09:46 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> Syber Shock wrote:
>
> > How would I delete a single newsgroup from the spool and
> > re-syncronize just that one group without affecting the others? Do
> > I also need to delete the message store under articles/ or will
> > rslight know which messages are already downloaded on the re-sync?
>
> The copy of import-db3.php in the newest (php8) version of rslight
> does that. This may work on php7 if you wish to try it. Just backup
> your spool dir first.
>
> You can find that file from github (php8 branch) here:
> https://github.com/novabbs/rocksolid-light/blob/php8/Rocksolid_Light/rslight/scripts/import-db3.php
>
> Usage is to switch to web user (www-data maybe?), then cd to where
> your web accessible files are located spoolnews dir:
> (/var/www/html/spoolnews)
>
> Then, if the group is alt.test:
> php /etc/rslight/scripts/import-db3.php -reset alt.test
>
> This removes the article from the article db, the overview, and
> removes article number pointers.
>
> Note: You should disable your cron job for rslight and verify
> spoolnews is not running before doing this (ps aux | grep spool)

Here's what I've got on my test rig so far ...

I ran the command with -reset alt.astrology on the php 7.4 version I
tested. Afterward no articles are pulled for the group at all, even
after many cronjob cycles.

# cat alt.astrology-lastarticleinfo.dat
O:8:"stdClass":3:{s:4:"from";N;s:4:"date";N;s:4:"name";N;}

# sqlite3 articles-overview.db3
sqlite> select newsgroup from overview where newsgroup like
sqlite> "%astrology%";
sqlite>

A file was automatically created after running the reset command,
'-reset-articles.db3'.

I went in and manually cleaned up and deleted everything related to
alt.astrology and issued the command:

sqlite3 articles-overview.db3 'delete from overview where newsgroup
like "%astrology%";'

And I ran the reset and still no messages are being pulled.

see: https://sybershock.com/forum/random/thread.php?group=alt.astrology

Should I just upgrade to the php8 version and start over? I made a
backup before hacking around with this group to test and I can just
unzip it. But perhaps upgrading and starting over might be better? If I
have to do that I should only have a few minutes of down time, but I'd
rather figure out this problem first in case it shows up in the php8
version, too.

If I copy _only_ the message store in folder
articles/ and {section}.inc.php files to a fresh rslight install will
rslight recognize the existing messages, or will it pull them all over
again?

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?

<96d9dcb285bb2aabcd9f2eb5a00948ab@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=327&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#327

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:59:02 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:59 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 17:09:46 +0000
> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

>> Syber Shock wrote:
>>
>> > How would I delete a single newsgroup from the spool and
>> > re-syncronize just that one group without affecting the others? Do
>> > I also need to delete the message store under articles/ or will
>> > rslight know which messages are already downloaded on the re-sync?
>>
>> The copy of import-db3.php in the newest (php8) version of rslight
>> does that. This may work on php7 if you wish to try it. Just backup
>> your spool dir first.
>>
>> You can find that file from github (php8 branch) here:
>> https://github.com/novabbs/rocksolid-light/blob/php8/Rocksolid_Light/rslight/scripts/import-db3.php
>>
>> Usage is to switch to web user (www-data maybe?), then cd to where
>> your web accessible files are located spoolnews dir:
>> (/var/www/html/spoolnews)
>>
>> Then, if the group is alt.test:
>> php /etc/rslight/scripts/import-db3.php -reset alt.test
>>
>> This removes the article from the article db, the overview, and
>> removes article number pointers.
>>
>> Note: You should disable your cron job for rslight and verify
>> spoolnews is not running before doing this (ps aux | grep spool)

> Here's what I've got on my test rig so far ...

> I ran the command with -reset alt.astrology on the php 7.4 version I
> tested. Afterward no articles are pulled for the group at all, even
> after many cronjob cycles.

Did you use import-db3.php from the php8 branch, or the copy with your
install? The copy with your install does not support -reset.

> # cat alt.astrology-lastarticleinfo.dat
> O:8:"stdClass":3:{s:4:"from";N;s:4:"date";N;s:4:"name";N;}

That file should be deleted by import-db3.php

> # sqlite3 articles-overview.db3
> sqlite> select newsgroup from overview where newsgroup like
> sqlite> "%astrology%";
> sqlite>

> A file was automatically created after running the reset command,
> '-reset-articles.db3'.

> I went in and manually cleaned up and deleted everything related to
> alt.astrology and issued the command:

> sqlite3 articles-overview.db3 'delete from overview where newsgroup
> like "%astrology%";'

That "should" work.

> And I ran the reset and still no messages are being pulled.

Check /var/spool/rslight/<section>/<text files>, and remove everything
after the group name for alt.astrology in each file:
alt.astrology:5188 becomes:
alt.astrology

> see: https://sybershock.com/forum/random/thread.php?group=alt.astrology

> Should I just upgrade to the php8 version and start over? I made a
> backup before hacking around with this group to test and I can just
> unzip it. But perhaps upgrading and starting over might be better? If I
> have to do that I should only have a few minutes of down time, but I'd
> rather figure out this problem first in case it shows up in the php8
> version, too.

I plan to copy a full backup of news.novabbs.org this weekend to a vm and
try to do that myself. Maybe wait until I see if it works for me.

> If I copy _only_ the message store in folder
> articles/ and {section}.inc.php files to a fresh rslight install will
> rslight recognize the existing messages, or will it pull them all over
> again?

You should be able to copy the entire spool directory, or just the <group>-articles.db3
files to the new site. I would suggest just the .db3 files and then import them,
but I will test that this weekend.

--
Posted on RetroBBS

[solved] Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?

<39759e61996fc426690be7da960063d7$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=328&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#328

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: [solved] Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 17:19:18 -0500
logging-data="15974"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Syber Shock - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 22:19 UTC

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:59:02 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> Syber Shock wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 17:09:46 +0000
> > retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> >> The copy of import-db3.php in the newest (php8) version of rslight
> >> does that. This may work on php7 if you wish to try it. Just backup
> >> your spool dir first.
> >>
> >> You can find that file from github (php8 branch) here:
> >> https://github.com/novabbs/rocksolid-light/blob/php8/Rocksolid_Light/rslight/scripts/import-db3.php
> >>
> >> Usage is to switch to web user (www-data maybe?), then cd to where
> >> your web accessible files are located spoolnews dir:
> >> (/var/www/html/spoolnews)
> >>
> >> Then, if the group is alt.test:
> >> php /etc/rslight/scripts/import-db3.php -reset alt.test
> >>
> >> This removes the article from the article db, the overview, and
> >> removes article number pointers.
> >>
> >> Note: You should disable your cron job for rslight and verify
> >> spoolnews is not running before doing this (ps aux | grep spool)
>
> > Here's what I've got on my test rig so far ...
>
> > I ran the command with -reset alt.astrology on the php 7.4 version I
> > tested. Afterward no articles are pulled for the group at all, even
> > after many cronjob cycles.
>
> Did you use import-db3.php from the php8 branch, or the copy with your
> install? The copy with your install does not support -reset.
>
> > # cat alt.astrology-lastarticleinfo.dat
> > O:8:"stdClass":3:{s:4:"from";N;s:4:"date";N;s:4:"name";N;}
>
> That file should be deleted by import-db3.php
>
> > # sqlite3 articles-overview.db3
> > sqlite> select newsgroup from overview where newsgroup like
> > sqlite> "%astrology%";
> > sqlite>
>
> > A file was automatically created after running the reset command,
> > '-reset-articles.db3'.
>
> > I went in and manually cleaned up and deleted everything related to
> > alt.astrology and issued the command:
>
> > sqlite3 articles-overview.db3 'delete from overview where newsgroup
> > like "%astrology%";'
>
> That "should" work.
>
> > And I ran the reset and still no messages are being pulled.
>
> Check /var/spool/rslight/<section>/<text files>, and remove everything
> after the group name for alt.astrology in each file:
> alt.astrology:5188 becomes:
> alt.astrology

There was a numerical mismatch between the count in the two files. I
think this might have been hanging it up. I don't know how I messed
that up! Deleting the counts fixed it and rslight started pulling the
group again.
> > see:
> > https://sybershock.com/forum/random/thread.php?group=alt.astrology
>
> > Should I just upgrade to the php8 version and start over? I made a
> > backup before hacking around with this group to test and I can just
> > unzip it. But perhaps upgrading and starting over might be better?
> > If I have to do that I should only have a few minutes of down time,
> > but I'd rather figure out this problem first in case it shows up in
> > the php8 version, too.
>
> I plan to copy a full backup of news.novabbs.org this weekend to a vm
> and try to do that myself. Maybe wait until I see if it works for me.

That should be fun. Order a pizza maybe to wait for that big archive to
compile? Or drunk text your wife emoji and lamer coded love letters
while she is sitting in the next room? ;)
> > If I copy _only_ the message store in folder
> > articles/ and {section}.inc.php files to a fresh rslight install
> > will rslight recognize the existing messages, or will it pull them
> > all over again?
>
> You should be able to copy the entire spool directory, or just the
> <group>-articles.db3 files to the new site. I would suggest just the
> .db3 files and then import them, but I will test that this weekend.

Maybe I will poke around to see what else I can break. ^oo^

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: [solved] Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?

<5a609977e583bfe306161d1beee1c61b@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=329&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#329

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: [solved] Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in
rslight?
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 18:27:12 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 18:27 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:59:02 +0000
> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

>> Check /var/spool/rslight/<section>/<text files>, and remove everything
>> after the group name for alt.astrology in each file:
>> alt.astrology:5188 becomes:
>> alt.astrology

> There was a numerical mismatch between the count in the two files. I
> think this might have been hanging it up. I don't know how I messed
> that up! Deleting the counts fixed it and rslight started pulling the
> group again.

The local_groups.txt should contain the highest "local" article number
for the groups and <server>:<port>.txt should contain the last (highest)
retrieved article number from server. I wouldn't expect the two files
to have matching numbers for a group.

>> > see:
>> > https://sybershock.com/forum/random/thread.php?group=alt.astrology
>>
>> > Should I just upgrade to the php8 version and start over? I made a
>> > backup before hacking around with this group to test and I can just
>> > unzip it. But perhaps upgrading and starting over might be better?
>> > If I have to do that I should only have a few minutes of down time,
>> > but I'd rather figure out this problem first in case it shows up in
>> > the php8 version, too.
>>
>> I plan to copy a full backup of news.novabbs.org this weekend to a vm
>> and try to do that myself. Maybe wait until I see if it works for me.

> That should be fun. Order a pizza maybe to wait for that big archive to
> compile? Or drunk text your wife emoji and lamer coded love letters
> while she is sitting in the next room? ;)

Lol, I've done it before, and I just start it and go to bed :)

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: [solved] Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?

<9ee60d266d46de58a3d594ba8ec377a0@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=331&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#331

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
rslight?
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 04:20:02 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 2 May 2023 04:20 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Syber Shock wrote:

>> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:59:02 +0000
>> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

>>> I plan to copy a full backup of news.novabbs.org this weekend to a vm
>>> and try to do that myself. Maybe wait until I see if it works for me.

>> That should be fun. Order a pizza maybe to wait for that big archive to
>> compile? Or drunk text your wife emoji and lamer coded love letters
>> while she is sitting in the next room? ;)

> Lol, I've done it before, and I just start it and go to bed :)

I have a copy of novabbs.org running in a KVM to test upgrade. All seems
ok, but I'll let it run a bit longer.

I did find that one of my raspberry pi's that I used for testing didn't really
like a fully loaded site like novabbs.org. It was a bit (a lot) too slow to
handle the load. In the KVM it's working fine.

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: [solved] Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?

<b824d2a5c18f203473f332f3859ebbfd$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=332&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#332

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 16:23:27 -0500
logging-data="23886"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Syber Shock - Tue, 2 May 2023 21:23 UTC

On Tue, 2 May 2023 04:20:02 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:
>
> > Syber Shock wrote:

> >> That should be fun. Order a pizza maybe to wait for that big
> >> archive to compile? Or drunk text your wife emoji and lamer coded
> >> love letters while she is sitting in the next room? ;)
>
> > Lol, I've done it before, and I just start it and go to bed :)
>
> I have a copy of novabbs.org running in a KVM to test upgrade. All
> seems ok, but I'll let it run a bit longer.
>
> I did find that one of my raspberry pi's that I used for testing
> didn't really like a fully loaded site like novabbs.org. It was a bit
> (a lot) too slow to handle the load. In the KVM it's working fine.

I plan to upgrade rslight hopefully next weekend. Currently I'm
working on a smol project that will expose the article spool to a
pretty-named, pretty-printed plaintext site, so I can then point
gopher, gemini and other plaintext tools to it. Then I will soak
sunlight and grip grass.

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com

Re: [solved] Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?

<9541bb5faf107d795f23a00c78ac8582@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=333&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#333

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
rslight?
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 22:22:49 +0000
References: <9d8eff75d3fb04e8074a85cfd6d1f88d$1@sybershock.com> <cbea21cfa0dccef8985e07c1bc8607c8@rocksolidbbs.com> <c32216ac3cdcf3c32421b8ee65247e5b$1@sybershock.com> <96d9dcb285bb2aabcd9f2eb5a00948ab@rocksolidbbs.com> <39759e61996fc426690be7da960063d7$1@sybershock.com> <5a609977e583bfe306161d1beee1c61b@rocksolidbbs.com> <9ee60d266d46de58a3d594ba8ec377a0@rocksolidbbs.com> <b824d2a5c18f203473f332f3859ebbfd$1@sybershock.com>
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 2 May 2023 22:22 UTC

Syber Shock wrote:

> On Tue, 2 May 2023 04:20:02 +0000
> retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

>> Retro Guy wrote:

>> > Lol, I've done it before, and I just start it and go to bed :)
>>
>> I have a copy of novabbs.org running in a KVM to test upgrade. All
>> seems ok, but I'll let it run a bit longer.
>>
>> I did find that one of my raspberry pi's that I used for testing
>> didn't really like a fully loaded site like novabbs.org. It was a bit
>> (a lot) too slow to handle the load. In the KVM it's working fine.
>>

> I plan to upgrade rslight hopefully next weekend. Currently I'm
> working on a smol project that will expose the article spool to a
> pretty-named, pretty-printed plaintext site, so I can then point
> gopher, gemini and other plaintext tools to it. Then I will soak
> sunlight and grip grass.

Sounds good. Please make sure to get the latest commits when you do so,
as I've added quite a few the past couple of days.

RetroBBS seems ok, and I plan to apply to novabbs.org this week. The test
site is working fine in my kvm.

Please make sure to make a complete backup first :)

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: [solved] Re: How to delete a group and re-sync in rslight?

<f2e738d89a683ee17daad25df5b03244$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=334&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#334

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 19:52:46 -0500
logging-data="26276"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Syber Shock - Wed, 3 May 2023 00:52 UTC

On Tue, 2 May 2023 22:22:49 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

<snip>

> Please make sure to make a complete backup first :)

Back data ascii up!

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com