From: 3883@sugar.bug (sugarbug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: How to block and nocem incoming messages from known bad actors?
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 11:44:40 -0500
logging-data="4059761"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: sugarbug - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 16:44 UTC

I have three main questions.

{1} In rslight is there a way to prevent the local server from receiving
and forwarding any messages from known bad actors in the 'From' header?

For example this would be the identity of the spammer:

From: Drug Salesman <drug@sales.man>

How would I add to the configuration to block all messages from this
identity offered to my server by peers, and prevent any with the
identity from being forwarded?

{2} Secondly how to nocem them after the fact or to inform other servers
that messages from them should be considered spam?

This way when I see a spam message or get a spam complaint from a user
I can just hopefully add the spammer identity and know it will be
blocked from then on.

{3} Thirdly is there a way to block by keywords and phrases in headers
and message body, such as:

"cheap narcotics"
"webcam girls"

.... etc. ?

The subject matter of the groups I will carry will never justify such
phrases in them and thus keyword filtering would be very appropos.

Re: How to block and nocem incoming messages from known bad actors?

<20230404105723.de55c03fddbae8016c6557b0@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=268&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#268

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 10:57:23 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 17:57 UTC

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 11:44:40 -0500
sugarbug <3883@sugar.bug> wrote:

> I have three main questions.
>
> {1} In rslight is there a way to prevent the local server from receiving
> and forwarding any messages from known bad actors in the 'From' header?
>
> For example this would be the identity of the spammer:
>
> From: Drug Salesman <drug@sales.man>

Create a file in /etc/rslight/banned_names.conf and list one per line
of names you wish to block. Nothing else on the line, just part or all
of what shows up in the From: header

Ex:
drug@sales.man
Drug Salesman
Drug Salesman <drug@sales.man>

Any of the above should block this user.

> How would I add to the configuration to block all messages from this
> identity offered to my server by peers, and prevent any with the
> identity from being forwarded?

The above would block incoming messages. Outgoing should only be from
your own server (since this user's post should have not arrived at your
server to then be forwarded)

> {2} Secondly how to nocem them after the fact or to inform other servers
> that messages from them should be considered spam?
>
> This way when I see a spam message or get a spam complaint from a user
> I can just hopefully add the spammer identity and know it will be
> blocked from then on.

NoCeM uses gpg in it's own dir:
"GNUPGHOME=".$config_dir.".gnupg"
So, /etc/rslight/.gnupg

Using gpg, create your keyring there, and add the public key of nocem
senders you want to honor (including your own). Then, the script
'/etc/rslight/scripts/nocem.php' will verify key when receiving a
nocem message and if you have the key, it should delete the messages.

If you want to generate NoCeM messages, there are some scripts out there
to do so, but I just wrote my own in php. If you want/need my script, let
me know and I'll send you a copy and how I use it.

> {3} Thirdly is there a way to block by keywords and phrases in headers
> and message body, such as:
>
> "cheap narcotics"
> "webcam girls"

This type of filtering I handle with spamassassin. I wrote a script to do
this that is called by cleanfeed. I wrote it for myself, so it's not very
clean, but it works fine.

local.cf needs considerable editing to work well for Usenet instead of email,
but it can do the job fine. I can send you the top portion of my file if you
like where I disable some email specific checks.

--
Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com>