From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 03:01:17 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Sun, 28 May 2023 03:01 UTC

Turkey presidential election decides if Erdogan should have five more years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65732194?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 7:30 PM
Turks vote in a presidential run-off to decide on their country's future path.
--------------------
Kyiv under new massive Russian drone attack, Vitaliy Klitschko says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-65736730?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 28, 2023, 12:46 AM
The city's mayor says one man is killed in Ukraine's capital, and more than 20 drones are shot down.
--------------------
Coventry City 1-1 Luton Town (5-6 pens): Hatters win shootout to reach Premier League
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65654937?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 7:57 PM
Luton beat Coventry 6-5 on penalties after a 1-1 draw at Wembley to win promotion to the Premier League for the first time.
--------------------
Home Office starts ad campaign to deter Albanian migrants
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65735660?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 11:02 PM
The adverts will say people 'face being detained and removed' if they come to the UK by small boat.
--------------------
Phillip Schofield: Holly Willoughby says she is hurt over affair lies
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65735702?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 7:04 PM
She says he lied to her when she "directly" asked him about rumours of a relationship.
--------------------
Anatomy of a Fall: French thriller wins Cannes Film Festival Palme d'Or prize
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65736234?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 11:18 PM
Filmmaker Justine Triet becomes the third female director ever to win the prestigious prize.
--------------------
Ukraine war: Russian Ambassador Andrei Kelin issues warning of escalation in Ukraine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65720980?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 4:51 PM
Andrei Kelin tells Laura Kuenssberg Russia has "enormous resources" but UK and US weapons are to blame.
--------------------
MPs asked to repay driving fines claimed on expenses
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65736601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 28, 2023, 2:13 AM
Government minister Amanda Solloway claimed an £80 fixed penalty notice in 2020.
--------------------
US debt ceiling: Negotiators agree a deal in principle, Joe Biden says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65736734?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 28, 2023, 2:32 AM
The White House and the Republicans are now ironing out details of a bill to avert a massive default.
--------------------
Seven charged with attempted murder of detective
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-65735929?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 10:19 PM
The detective was shot while putting footballs into his car at a sports complex in Omagh in February.
--------------------
ITV News journalist Emily Morgan dies, aged 45
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65735658?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 7:50 PM
The health and science editor is remembered as a "true trailblazer" and "devoted mother and wife".
--------------------
Ken Paxton: Texas House votes to impeach Trump ally
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65736478?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 11:57 PM
Ken Paxton, Texas' Attorney General, is now suspended from office pending a trial in the state Senate.
--------------------
ChatGPT: US lawyer admits using AI for case research
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65735769?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 10:20 PM
The lawyer told the judge he did not know content from the artificial intelligence could be false.
--------------------
The Papers: 'Phil lied to me' and 'plans to cap food prices'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-65736204?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 10:59 PM
Several of Sunday's papers continue with their coverage of Phillip Schofield's affair.
--------------------
South Africa period poverty: 'I don't want anyone else to use rags for sanitary pads'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-65624739?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 28, 2023, 12:03 AM
South African Tamara Magwashu grew up unable to afford pads or tampons - now she is changing that for others.
--------------------
Katty Kay: A growing case of transatlantic heartburn
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65724013?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 28, 2023, 1:58 AM
European leaders are getting nervous about the US election and shifts in foreign policy.
--------------------
Portugal housing crisis: 'I'll have to move back in with mum'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65485908?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 28, 2023, 2:00 AM
Anger is rising in the Portuguese capital Lisbon, where affordable homes are rarer and rarer.
--------------------
Knebworth House: The stately home making the most of its film credentials
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-65621312?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 11:34 PM
Monarchs, super heroes, and iconic puppets are just some of the characters to have walked its halls.
--------------------
Finley Boden: The parents who 'deceived everyone' to kill their son
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-65264661?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 11:14 PM
Stephen Boden and Shannon Marsden lied to professionals, before murdering 10-month-old Finley.
--------------------
Cairo masterplan threatens ancient City of the Dead
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-65697835?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 11:27 PM
Bodies are exhumed and burial sites are razed to make way for roads and bridges.
--------------------
Week in pictures: 20-26 May 2023
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-65720647?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 11:28 PM
A selection of striking images from around the world, taken over the past seven days.
--------------------
Car swept backwards in raging Spanish floodwaters
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65729775?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 6:30 PM
Video filmed on a phone shows the driver losing control of the car before getting caught in the current.
--------------------
East Kent: A decade of failure in maternity care
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65624925?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 11:04 PM
Why has an NHS Trust failed to improve maternity care after a near-decade of failure?
--------------------
Luton Town fans celebrate 'absolute scenes' Premier League promotion
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-65736244?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 10:34 PM
Luton Town fans are celebrating victory over Coventry City that secured Premier League promotion.
--------------------
Why Australia decided to quit its vaping habit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-65522841?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 28, 2023, 2:11 AM
Recent measures cracking down on e-cigarettes are much needed, teachers and public health experts say.
--------------------
Cadbury Flake too crumbly for 99s, moan ice cream sellers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-65604580?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 5:06 AM
Cadbury Flake makers' Mondelēz International say action is being taken to address the crumbly issue.
--------------------
PC who investigated Wayne Couzens receives hate messages
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65722487?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 7:56 PM
Ex-officer barred for misconduct says she been made a "scapegoat" for failings over Sarah Everard's murder.
--------------------
Bike in Cardiff crash was birthday present for victim, 15
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65714633?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 9:48 PM
Harvey Evans and best friend Kyrees Sullivan died in a crash while riding an electric bike.
--------------------
University strikes: what impact will marking boycott have?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-59415694?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 11:53 PM
Some final year students may not graduate this summer, with UCU members refusing to mark exams.
--------------------
Sudan conflict: Hospital attacks potential war crimes, BBC told
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-65718968?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 4:45 PM
Mounting evidence seen by the BBC suggests that medical facilities are being targeted by both sides.
--------------------
Beautiful South singer Paul Heaton pays for festival drinks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-65729844?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 8:42 AM
Paul Heaton pays for fans' drinks at a festival after doing the same to mark his 60th birthday.
--------------------
'I used to own the car that crashed into Downing St gates'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65724848?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 3:16 PM
Journalist Jonny McFarlane recognised the silver Kia Ceed when he saw it on the news on Friday.
--------------------
Hugh Grant gets court go-ahead to sue publisher of Sun
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65721073?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 4:32 PM
The High Court rules the actor can bring action over phone-tapping, but not for alleged voicemail hacking.
--------------------
Madeleine McCann search analysis 'will take several weeks'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65726737?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 3:44 PM
German prosecutors say it will take time to examine materials recovered from this week's search in Portugal.
--------------------
Lambs stolen from King's Sandringham estate still missing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-65727267?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 4:16 PM
Three women arrested on suspicion of taking the lambs from a field are released on bail.
--------------------
Action urged to cut gas cooker health risks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65722603?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 26, 2023, 3:03 PM
Gas cookers harm the environment and have been linked to respiratory disease, campaigners warn.
--------------------
Premier League: What should you look out for on the final day?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65722277?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 9:53 PM
The 2022-23 Premier League season finishes on Sunday - and the battle to avoid relegation looks set to provide the main drama.
--------------------
Tears and tributes as Luton reach Premier League
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65736225?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 9:03 PM
Luton's Jordan Clark says boss Rob Edwards told them to win the Championship play-off final for Tom Lockyer after the defender collapsed during the game.
--------------------
Emma Hayes: Relief season over as 'hardest yet' ends in Chelsea winning WSL title
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65735885?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 7:44 PM
Emma Hayes has got used to that winning feeling, but Chelsea's latest Women's Super League title - their fourth in a row - brought a new sense of relief.
--------------------
Leigh Wood wins WBA featherweight world title by beating Mauricio Lara
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65734481?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 11:32 PM
Leigh Wood gains revenge on Mauricio Lara to claim the WBA featherweight belt vacated by the Mexican after he failed to make weight.
--------------------
Lawrence Okolie v Chris Billam-Smith: Bournemouth's Billam-Smith wins WBO cruiserweight title
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65725808?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 11:01 PM
Chris Billam-Smith becomes the new WBO cruiserweight champion as he dethrones former gym-mate Lawrence Okolie on a memorable night in Bournemouth.
--------------------
WSL highlights: Chelsea beat Reading to win Women's Super League title
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/65733386?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 11:46 PM
Chelsea win the Women's Super League for a fourth successive season with a 3-0 final-day victory at Reading, who are relegated.
--------------------
Monaco Grand Prix: No Fernando Alonso fairytale, but there's an F1 bromance in the air
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/65733596?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 27, 2023, 7:52 PM
Monaco, a fantasy land of opulence and excess, almost delivers a fairytale in a gripping qualifying session.
--------------------
When will we start seeing energy bill deals again?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65712145?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 25, 2023, 11:47 PM
With bills set to drop from July, fixed deals could be due to make a comeback, say experts.
--------------------
Mortgage deals: Five new products aiming to beat interest rates rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65628980?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 20, 2023, 11:13 PM
As interest rates rise, some lenders are offering no-deposit mortgages and removing the "stress test".
--------------------
Mortgage calculator: how much will my mortgage go up?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63474582?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 10, 2023, 4:43 PM
Use our calculator to find out how much mortgage payments could go up for your household.
--------------------
Energy price cap: What is it and will bills continue to go down?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58090533?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 25, 2023, 12:40 PM
The cap which sets typical household energy bills is expected to drop sharply from July.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 25, 2023, 8:30 AM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
Tips on how to save energy at home and help the planet
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58967580?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 20, 2021, 10:58 AM
What can homeowners do to reduce their energy consumption?
--------------------
Cost of living: How can I save money on my food shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 5, 2022, 12:40 PM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
Food prices: How the humble shopping list is saving us money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65103377?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 2, 2023, 12:41 AM
Soaring food prices mean some families are missing meals and desperate for deals, but preparation can help.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 24, 2023, 6:17 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
Why food bills aren't shrinking - five things to know
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65632019?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 21, 2023, 11:04 PM
Prices in the shops remain much higher than a year ago, despite falls in energy and food costs.
--------------------
Cost-of-living payments: Who is getting them and when?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592496?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 25, 2023, 8:49 AM
Low-income households, pensioners and some disabled people will get extra help with energy bills.
--------------------
Debt: What do I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 23, 2023, 2:45 PM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
Why inflation is falling but prices are still rising
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 24, 2023, 6:51 AM
We report this percentage every month but here are three things you may not know.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is the cost of living rising?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 24, 2023, 8:37 AM
The rate at which prices are rising remains high, driven by soaring food prices.
Five ways to save money on your packed lunch
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65312394?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 26, 2023, 11:05 PM
As the cost of food continues to rise, we hear some top tips on making savings at lunchtime.

Click here to read the complete article