From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-m8n-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Subject: Libertas Marketplace
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 20:38:53 +0000
To: rocksolid.shared.i2p
 by: AnonUser - Wed, 16 Oct 2019 20:38 UTC

To: rocksolid.shared.i2p
I just stumbled across mentions of the Libertas marketplace so I looked it
up what it is or was and decided the whole thing was interesting enough to
share here. It looks like it was an illegal marketplace primarily run on
Tor which was under constant DDoS attacks, presumably by law enforcement
and maybe even competing marketplaces.

The admin released a statement claiming that all marketplaces running and
not under DDoS have been hijacked and are being run covertly by law
enforcement to catch criminals. To solve the DDoS problem, the guy then
decided to move the marketplace to I2P which is a lot more optimized for
hidden services and can't be DDoSd.

The switch to I2P solved the DDoS problems but then the guy decided to
shut it down a few months later because not enough people were able to get
I2P running because it was apparently too complicated for them. I don't
know, but I find I2P pretty easy to use. Maybe I2P just needs something
out of the box like the Tor browser that just works without any critical
thinking required to get it more popular.

I2P developers are working on an I2P browser, but no idea how good that is.
--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: Libertas Marketplace

<3dd3e65c6ae721d58556e62d65c1f654$1@dkzerogt6z6ybhcj.onion>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=145&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#145

From: trww@rslight.i2p (trww)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Subject: Re: Libertas Marketplace
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 22:06:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: trww - Wed, 16 Oct 2019 22:06 UTC

>are being run covertly by law enforcement to catch criminals

that would not surprise me.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Libertas Marketplace

<09026c85d40343ce43fa899a6a69cc61$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=146&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#146

From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:56:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonUser - Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:56 UTC

AnonUser wrote:

> To: rocksolid.shared.i2p
> I just stumbled across mentions of the Libertas marketplace so I looked it
> up what it is or was and decided the whole thing was interesting enough to
> share here. It looks like it was an illegal marketplace primarily run on
> Tor which was under constant DDoS attacks, presumably by law enforcement
> and maybe even competing marketplaces.

> The admin released a statement claiming that all marketplaces running and
> not under DDoS have been hijacked and are being run covertly by law
> enforcement to catch criminals. To solve the DDoS problem, the guy then

There are a certain number of tor users that just like to ddos anything
they can find. I've run tor sites and all were subjected to this, I just
expect it now. It's hard to say if it's his competetors or just people who
like to break things.

> decided to move the marketplace to I2P which is a lot more optimized for
> hidden services and can't be DDoSd.

> The switch to I2P solved the DDoS problems but then the guy decided to
> shut it down a few months later because not enough people were able to get
> I2P running because it was apparently too complicated for them. I don't
> know, but I find I2P pretty easy to use. Maybe I2P just needs something
> out of the box like the Tor browser that just works without any critical
> thinking required to get it more popular.

I2P isn't complicated, but it's more than one step. Install i2prouter,
then set your browser to use the proxy. Just two steps, but one too many
for some people. If they make it past that, some can't understand the
addressbook and wonder why all sites can't be found.

> I2P developers are working on an I2P browser, but no idea how good that is.

I think until this happens I2P and Freenet will remain small networks.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Libertas Marketplace

<qoceo3$qtv$1@i2pn2.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=147&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#147

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 09:29:18 -0400
 by: trw - Fri, 18 Oct 2019 13:29 UTC

>I2P isn't complicated, but it's more than one step.

Also, to give a user experience similar to tor, you should have a well integrated router which means practically that you need to run it 24/7 on a fast connection.
So not so good for laptops which are in standby sometimes, and not good at all for all tablets and mobile devices. So there goes more than 50% of your potential user base out the window.
But in my mind it is not about this darknet vs that darknet anyway, the best is to combine as many of them as possible.
Posted on def3

Re: Libertas Marketplace

<42c8d1ebd907f91dc3a9d12612f5659e$1@retrobbs.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=148&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#148

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-n5o-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 17:17:06 +0000
To: trw
 by: AnonUser - Fri, 18 Oct 2019 17:17 UTC

To: trw
>Also, to give a user experience similar to tor, you should have a well
integrated router which means practically that you need to run it 24/7 on a
fast connection.

I do not believe this is the case any more, if you use I2PD. It is true
that the Java version takes a good 3-5 minutes to get warm, but the C++
implementation is up and running within 30 seconds. At least that is my
experience which led me to switch from the Java to the C++ implementation.
--
Posted on RetroBBS