From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Dumas Walker
Subject: RE: Malwarebytes reports
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:24:19 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 00:24 UTC

Re: RE: Malwarebytes reports
By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Wed Jan 31 2024 11:31 am

> > if they did it once, they'll do it again.
> > I wouldn't trust it.
>
> > I just use the built in windows shit.
>
> I was thinking it might have been AVG instead of Avast, but I often get
> those mixed up so there is that.

internet sez:
"
Avast were prosecuted and fined for selling their users' browsing history to a third party. Shortly after the prosecution, Avast were purchased by Norton LifeLock."

then this article
https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/30/21115326/avast-jumpshot-subsidiary-suspended-data-collection-selling-ceo-blog-post

"Just days after Avast's popular antivirus software was revealed to be harvesting browsing data and selling it to advertisers, the company has said that it's shutting down the subsidiary that made it possible. Writing in a blog post, company CEO Ondrej Vlcek says Avast is terminating its Jumpshot subsidiary's data collection and operations "with immediate effect," and doesn't mention any plans to transfer the company's "hundreds" of affected employees, meaning they're likely out of a job."

avast and avg BOTH collected and sold user browser histories.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

RE: Malwarebytes reports

<65BBB74D.5660.dove-int@capcity2.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=927&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#927

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:04:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Dumas Walker - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 15:04 UTC

> internet sez:
(snip)
> avast and avg BOTH collected and sold user browser histories.

Good to know. thanks! Maybe that is why I always confuse the two. :D

* SLMR 2.1a * SYSOP (sih' sawp) n. The guy laughing at your typing.

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP