From: utopian.galt@VERT/IUTOPIA (Utopian Galt)
To: MRO
Subject: Linux on old laptop
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 14:06:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Utopian Galt - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 14:06 UTC

> just run windows 10 or windows 7.
>
> by the way, get a ssd and your load time will be very fast.
Cant. The system cant support the ssd drive i paid for, refused to boot
up.

---
■ Talisman ■ Inland Utopia - telnet://iutopia.duckdns.org:2023

Re: Linux on old laptop

<618D6F1B.371.dove-unix@roughneckbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=838&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#838

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Utopian Galt
Subject: Re: Linux on old laptop
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 05:29:31 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Tracker1 - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 12:29 UTC

On 11/8/21 14:06, Utopian Galt wrote:
>> just run windows 10 or windows 7.
>>
>> by the way, get a ssd and your load time will be very fast.
>
> Cant. The system cant support the ssd drive i paid for, refused
> to boot up.

Wild... could probably try clonezilla to copy your old drive to the new
drive. No idea on how/why it wouldn't boot though. (2.5" Sata SSD?)
--
Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
---

Linux on old laptop

<61B4CEB3.233.dove-unix@jayscafe.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=839&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#839

From: jazzy.j@VERT/JAYSCAFE (Jazzy J)
To: Tracker1
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 02:52:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Jazzy J - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 08:52 UTC

-=> Quoting Tracker1 to Utopian Galt <=-

T> On 11/8/21 14:06, Utopian Galt wrote:
>> just run windows 10 or windows 7.
>>
>> by the way, get a ssd and your load time will be very fast.
>
> Cant. The system cant support the ssd drive i paid for, refused
> to boot up.

T> Wild... could probably try clonezilla to copy your old drive to the new
T> drive. No idea on how/why it wouldn't boot though. (2.5" Sata SSD?)
T> --
T> Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com

T> -!-
T> ¡ Synchronet ¡ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

I've got a host of laptops running *buntu 20.04, and my servers. I have a
sole laptop that dual boots with Windows 10 (will be 11 when it is allowed
to upgrade.)

With server management and programming, IMHO, the *nix environment rocks.
Couple that with an installation of VS Code and you'll have quite a system
for a few more years.

Working with Windows, SafeBoot or whatever they are calling their boot
protection scheme must be disabled.

SSDs are the way to go. YMMV, but you
can boot to a live Ubuntu 20.04 USB drive, attach the SSD to the system and
do a dd if=<path to old drive> of=<path to new drive> and it will copy the
image of the old drive to the new. Just make sure the new drive is larger
than the original.

Once dd is finished, open gparted and expand the partition to fill the
drive, using ntfsresize -- I believe that gparted will ask you if you want
to run it -- to resize the ntfs information to match the partition.

Once you boot into Windows, run a chkdisk on it and you should be good to
go.

Good luck and happy computing!

Jazzy J

* AmyBW v2.16 *
.... You can logout any time you like, but you can never leave!

---
■ Synchronet ■ BayouBBS.Net, Ports 23, 6401 and 6402

Re: Linux on old laptop

<61C5AF3B.2876.dove-nix@bbs.mozysswamp.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=841&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#841

From: boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS (Boraxman)
To: Jazzy J
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:18:00 +1100
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Boraxman - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 04:18 UTC

-=> Jazzy J wrote to Tracker1 <=-

JJ> @MSGID: <61B4CEB3.233.dove-unix@jayscafe.net>
JJ> @REPLY: <618D6F1B.371.dove-unix@roughneckbbs.com>
-=> Quoting Tracker1 to Utopian Galt <=-

T> On 11/8/21 14:06, Utopian Galt wrote:
>> just run windows 10 or windows 7.
>>
>> by the way, get a ssd and your load time will be very fast.
>
> Cant. The system cant support the ssd drive i paid for, refused
> to boot up.

T> Wild... could probably try clonezilla to copy your old drive to the new
T> drive. No idea on how/why it wouldn't boot though. (2.5" Sata SSD?)
T> --
T> Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com

T> -!-
T> ¡ Synchronet ¡ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

JJ> I've got a host of laptops running *buntu 20.04, and my servers. I
JJ> have a sole laptop that dual boots with Windows 10 (will be 11 when it
JJ> is allowed to upgrade.)

JJ> With server management and programming, IMHO, the *nix environment
JJ> rocks. Couple that with an installation of VS Code and you'll have
JJ> quite a system for a few more years.

JJ> Working with Windows, SafeBoot or whatever they are calling their boot
JJ> protection scheme must be disabled.

JJ> SSDs are the way to go. YMMV, but you
JJ> can boot to a live Ubuntu 20.04 USB drive, attach the SSD to the system
JJ> and do a dd if=<path to old drive> of=<path to new drive> and it will
JJ> copy the image of the old drive to the new. Just make sure the new
JJ> drive is larger than the original.

JJ> Once dd is finished, open gparted and expand the partition to fill the
JJ> drive, using ntfsresize -- I believe that gparted will ask you if you
JJ> want to run it -- to resize the ntfs information to match the
JJ> partition.

JJ> Once you boot into Windows, run a chkdisk on it and you should be good
JJ> to go.

JJ> Good luck and happy computing!

JJ> Jazzy J

JJ> * AmyBW v2.16 *
JJ> ... You can logout any time you like, but you can never leave!
JJ>
JJ> ---
JJ> = Synchronet = BayouBBS.Net, Ports 23, 6401 and 6402

My Laptop is a Thinkpad T43, and I'm running Debian Bullseye. Works Ok, except
the HDD doesn't start properly when cool. Can't find an IDE SSD for that
machine.

Linux is a great way to get extra lifespan out of an old machine.

.... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
■ Synchronet ■ MS & RD BBs - bbs.mozysswamp.org

Re: Linux on old laptop

<61C9C0AE.376.dove-unix@roughneckbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=844&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#844

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Boraxman
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 23:33:34 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Tracker1 - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 06:33 UTC

On 12/24/21 04:18, Boraxman wrote:
>>> Cant. The system cant support the ssd drive i paid for, refused
>>> to boot up.
>>
>> Wild... could probably try clonezilla to copy your old drive to the
>> new drive. No idea on how/why it wouldn't boot though. (2.5" Sata
>> SSD?)
>
> My Laptop is a Thinkpad T43, and I'm running Debian Bullseye. Works
> Ok, except the HDD doesn't start properly when cool. Can't find an
> IDE SSD for that machine.
>
> Linux is a great way to get extra lifespan out of an old machine.

Gotcha, didn't realize it was quite that old... *might* be able to try a
newer drive via USB boot assuming the bios on that old device supports
it. May also be able to find a PCMCIA adapter if there's one on the
laptop. No idea on drivers for that though.

Looks like it's USB 2.0 ... so 30-60 MBps transfer rate... just about
any USB 2-3 external drive should be able to make that, probably as fast
as your internal hdd, or a hair slower. Again, assuming it will boot to
USB at all.

A decent USB 3.x thumb drive could also work... 64gb drives are
relatively cheap at this point, but random io vs. sustained io is kind
of a crap shoot, but most should handle it... or USB<->sata hdd/ssd.
Don't know that there's much reason to go ssd over hdd given the
bandwidth limits, but wouldn't hurt and should have a longer lifetime.
--
Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
---
� Synchronet � Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Re: Linux on old laptop

<61CBE788.2881.dove-nix@bbs.mozysswamp.org>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=846&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#846

From: boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS (Boraxman)
To: Tracker1
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 08:31:00 +1100
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Boraxman - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:31 UTC

-=> Tracker1 wrote to Boraxman <=-

Tr> @MSGID: <61C9C0AE.376.dove-unix@roughneckbbs.com>
Tr> @REPLY: <61C5AF3B.2876.dove-nix@bbs.mozysswamp.org>
Tr> On 12/24/21 04:18, Boraxman wrote:
>>> Cant. The system cant support the ssd drive i paid for, refused
>>> to boot up.
>>
>> Wild... could probably try clonezilla to copy your old drive to the
>> new drive. No idea on how/why it wouldn't boot though. (2.5" Sata
>> SSD?)
>
> My Laptop is a Thinkpad T43, and I'm running Debian Bullseye. Works
> Ok, except the HDD doesn't start properly when cool. Can't find an
> IDE SSD for that machine.
>
> Linux is a great way to get extra lifespan out of an old machine.

Tr> Gotcha, didn't realize it was quite that old... *might* be able to try
Tr> a newer drive via USB boot assuming the bios on that old device
Tr> supports it. May also be able to find a PCMCIA adapter if there's one
Tr> on the laptop. No idea on drivers for that though.

Tr> Looks like it's USB 2.0 ... so 30-60 MBps transfer rate... just about
Tr> any USB 2-3 external drive should be able to make that, probably as
Tr> fast as your internal hdd, or a hair slower. Again, assuming it will
Tr> boot to USB at all.

Tr> A decent USB 3.x thumb drive could also work... 64gb drives are
Tr> relatively cheap at this point, but random io vs. sustained io is kind
Tr> of a crap shoot, but most should handle it... or USB<->sata hdd/ssd.
Tr> Don't know that there's much reason to go ssd over hdd given the
Tr> bandwidth limits, but wouldn't hurt and should have a longer lifetime.

No CD/DVD Rom?