From: nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS (Nelgin)
To: All
Subject: Encoding issue
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 12:42:36 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Nelgin - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 17:42 UTC

Hi all,

I have a problem with character encoding and wonder if someone who deals with this sort of thing more often than I do can help.

On my linux system I have two files that report as "Unicode text, UTF-8 text"
when using file.

While one file correctly displays é (e with an acute accent) the other file displays an A with a tilde above followed by the copyright symbol.

Obviously, other characters are also displayed incorrectly.

I've tried various iterations of iconv to try and correct the output of the misprinting file but with no success.

A hexdump shows that the incorrectly displaying file has the following
c3 83 c2 a9

Whereas the correctly displayed file has
c3 a9

So, I'm open to suggestions on how to fix this using some native program rather than having to do search and replace.

Thanks,
---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com

Encoding issue

<64EF8CE2.11300.dove-lnx@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=85&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#85

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Nelgin
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 11:39:30 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Digital Man - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 18:39 UTC

Re: Encoding issue
By: Nelgin to All on Wed Aug 30 2023 12:42 pm

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with character encoding and wonder if someone who deals
> with this sort of thing more often than I do can help.
>
> On my linux system I have two files that report as "Unicode text, UTF-8
> text" when using file.
>
> While one file correctly displays é (e with an acute accent) the other file
> displays an A with a tilde above followed by the copyright symbol.
>
> Obviously, other characters are also displayed incorrectly.
>
> I've tried various iterations of iconv to try and correct the output of the
> misprinting file but with no success.
>
> A hexdump shows that the incorrectly displaying file has the following
> c3 83 c2 a9

That sounds correct. See table here:
https://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl

> Whereas the correctly displayed file has
> c3 a9

That's also correct.

> So, I'm open to suggestions on how to fix this using some native program
> rather than having to do search and replace.

More background is needed with the problem here as it sounds like both files contain the correct UTF-8 sequence for the Unicode codepoints you're saying are being displayed.
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #20:
Michael Swindell was directly responsible for Synchronet's commercial success
Norco, CA WX: 93.0°F, 33.0% humidity, 1 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net