From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Digital Man
Subject: bbs.edit_msg() - Empty message
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:38:02 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Nightfox - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:38 UTC

Hi DM,

Today I noticed there's a bbs.edit_msg() function that was added in Synchronet 3.18. I tried calling that with a header for an existing message in a sub-board. When my editor came up, it was empty. Should it be editing the existing message contents?

I'm running today's Synchronet build (March 23, 2022) for Windows.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

bbs.edit_msg() - Empty message

<623BBF21.3653.sync-js@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=739&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript#739

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Nightfox
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 10:45:21 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Digital Man - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:45 UTC

Re: bbs.edit_msg() - Empty message
By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Wed Mar 23 2022 04:38 pm

> Hi DM,
>
> Today I noticed there's a bbs.edit_msg() function that was added in
> Synchronet 3.18. I tried calling that with a header for an existing message
> in a sub-board. When my editor came up, it was empty. Should it be editing
> the existing message contents?

Yes, that's how I use it in msglist.js:

bbs.edit_msg(list[current]);

And that list[] value is a returned object from MsgBase.get_msg_header().

> I'm running today's Synchronet build (March 23, 2022) for Windows.

Me too. :-)
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #64:
R0DENT = Derogatory reference to a young BBS user of the 1990's
Norco, CA WX: 80.7°F, 21.0% humidity, 11 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

bbs.edit_msg() - Empty message

<623BE16F.3586.dove_sync_js@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=740&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript#740

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Digital Man
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 13:11:43 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Nightfox - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 20:11 UTC

Re: bbs.edit_msg() - Empty message
By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Mar 23 2022 05:45 pm

>> Today I noticed there's a bbs.edit_msg() function that was added in
>> Synchronet 3.18. I tried calling that with a header for an existing
>> message in a sub-board. When my editor came up, it was empty. Should
>> it be editing the existing message contents?

DM> Yes, that's how I use it in msglist.js:

DM> bbs.edit_msg(list[current]);

DM> And that list[] value is a returned object from MsgBase.get_msg_header().

I'm also passing it an object from MsgBase.get_msg_header(). Does it need to have expanded fields or anything?

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

bbs.edit_msg() - Empty message

<623BE524.3587.dove_sync_js@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=741&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript#741

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Digital Man
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 13:27:32 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Nightfox - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 20:27 UTC

Re: bbs.edit_msg() - Empty message
By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Wed Mar 23 2022 08:11 pm

>>> Synchronet 3.18. I tried calling that with a header for an existing
>>> message in a sub-board. When my editor came up, it was empty.
>>> Should it be editing the existing message contents?

DM>> Yes, that's how I use it in msglist.js:

DM>> bbs.edit_msg(list[current]);

DM>> And that list[] value is a returned object from
DM>> MsgBase.get_msg_header().

I got it to work. It seems the MsgBase object associated with the header needs to still be open for it to work (even though you aren't passing the MsgBase object to edit_msg()).

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

bbs.edit_msg() - Empty message

<623BF18C.3656.sync-js@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=742&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript#742

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Nightfox
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:20:28 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Digital Man - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 21:20 UTC

Re: bbs.edit_msg() - Empty message
By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Wed Mar 23 2022 08:11 pm

> Re: bbs.edit_msg() - Empty message
> By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Mar 23 2022 05:45 pm
>
> >> Today I noticed there's a bbs.edit_msg() function that was added in
> >> Synchronet 3.18. I tried calling that with a header for an existing
> >> message in a sub-board. When my editor came up, it was empty. Should
> >> it be editing the existing message contents?
>
> DM> Yes, that's how I use it in msglist.js:
>
> DM> bbs.edit_msg(list[current]);
>
> DM> And that list[] value is a returned object from
> DM> MsgBase.get_msg_header().
>
> I'm also passing it an object from MsgBase.get_msg_header(). Does it need
> to have expanded fields or anything?

Nope.
--
digital man (rob)

Rush quote #71:
He's not concerned with yesterday, he knows constant change is here today
Norco, CA WX: 69.1°F, 33.0% humidity, 4 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net