From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Digital Man
Subject: Filename truncated when uploading via ;UPLOAD at the menu
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 12:30:52 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 20:30 UTC

Hi DM,

I noticed something while doing some testing today. I wanted to upload a file to my filebase on my BBS to test removing files, so I created a text file that I called fakeUpload.txt (and added a string in it that just said "Test"). While logged onto my BBS, on the file menu, I used the ;UPLOAD string command to upload it. When it prompted me for the file description, the filename was truncated to fakeUplo.txt. However, when listing files via JavaScript, it looks like it has the full long filename.

I'm not sure if this is a known issue, but I wanted to let you know.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Filename truncated when uploading via ;UPLOAD at the menu

<61F37E98.3611.sync-js@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=708&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript#708

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Nightfox
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 14:26:48 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Digital Man - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 22:26 UTC

Re: Filename truncated when uploading via ;UPLOAD at the menu
By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Thu Jan 27 2022 07:30 pm

> Hi DM,
>
> I noticed something while doing some testing today. I wanted to upload a
> file to my filebase on my BBS to test removing files, so I created a text
> file that I called fakeUpload.txt (and added a string in it that just said
> "Test").
> While logged onto my BBS, on the file menu, I used the ;UPLOAD string
> command to upload it. When it prompted me for the file description, the
> filename was truncated to fakeUplo.txt. However, when listing files via
> JavaScript, it looks like it has the full long filename.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a known issue, but I wanted to let you know.

No, that's expected. If you use a wider terminal, the full filename can be displayed in listings in the terminal server too. And the [E]xtended info on the files will always show the full filename (or at least, up to 60 or so chars, depending on terminal width).
--
digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #36:
Clearly his taste in women is the same as his taste in lawyers...
Norco, CA WX: 62.1°F, 14.0% humidity, 0 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net