You own a dog, but you can only feed a cat.

dovenet / Internet / Re: Comcast fees

SubjectAuthor
* Comcast feespoindexter FORTRAN
`* Comcast feesTracker1
 +* Comcast feesNightfox
 |+- Comcast feesMRO
 |`* Comcast feesTracker1
 | `* Comcast feesNightfox
 |  +- Comcast feesMRO
 |  `* Comcast feesTracker1
 |   `- Comcast feesAir
 `* Comcast feespoindexter FORTRAN
  `- Comcast feesTracker1

1
Comcast fees

<6464309F.5277.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=39&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#39

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: All
Subject: Comcast fees
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 06:29:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sat, 13 May 2023 13:29 UTC

Comcast has always charged a "Local Access Fee" and a "Sports
Programming Fee" on their cable packages. If you called them about it,
they make it sound like they're fees they're required to pay that they
pass on to their customers to bring sports and regional TV programming
to their cable customers.

A couple of years ago, they changed their wording buried on their web
site to clarify that it was not government mandated.

I started shopping around different plans, and noticed that they're
charging those fees on internet-only packages - even if you don't have a TV
package!

I'm looking at keeping cable for TV only, and apparently, you need to
rent a cable modem even if you don't have internet service, it sounds
like their X1 TV service uses it? Or, maybe it's needed for the
streaming boxes on other TVs? Not sure, but I couldn't configure a
package online without a cable modem at $14.95/month.

I'd switch in an instant, but my wife watches a couple of cable channels
consistently, and adding a streaming TV service to AT&T fiber doesn't
lower the cost a whole lot. It would buy me symmetric speeds; I'd love
to sync my NAS to the cloud, but the upload at 15 mbps would kill me.

.... Go to an extreme, move back to a more comfortable place
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Comcast fees

<648C4129.3429.dove-internet@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=63&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#63

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:02:01 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Tracker1 - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:02 UTC

Re: Comcast fees
By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Sat May 13 2023 06:29:00

PF> streaming boxes on other TVs? Not sure, but I couldn't configure a
PF> package online without a cable modem at $14.95/month.

You might consider Hulu's TV service, which is decent, but winds up costing as much as cable (or more) depending on your total TV service costs. Hulu's UX is better than the other online TV options I've tried (youtube tv and fubo).

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Comcast fees

<648CAC7B.5894.dove_dove-int@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=67&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#67

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Tracker1
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:39:55 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Nightfox - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:39 UTC

Re: Comcast fees
By: Tracker1 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Jun 16 2023 11:02 am

Tr> You might consider Hulu's TV service, which is decent, but winds up
Tr> costing as much as cable (or more) depending on your total TV service
Tr> costs. Hulu's UX is better than the other online TV options I've tried
Tr> (youtube tv and fubo).

If you use Hulu with ads, one thing I've found is that their commercials are a lot louder than the show volumen. Once the commercials start, it's a bit annoying.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Comcast fees

<648D2BA5.1509.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=68&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#68

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 22:42:29 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 03:42 UTC

Re: Comcast fees
By: Nightfox to Tracker1 on Fri Jun 16 2023 11:39 am

> If you use Hulu with ads, one thing I've found is that their commercials are
> a lot louder than the show volumen. Once the commercials start, it's a bit
> annoying.

boy i wonder where they got that idea from.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Comcast fees

<6490FC94.5309.dove.dove-int@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=69&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#69

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Tracker1
Subject: Re: Comcast fees
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 07:49:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 14:49 UTC

-=> Tracker1 wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Tr> You might consider Hulu's TV service, which is decent, but winds up
Tr> costing as much as cable (or more) depending on your total TV service
Tr> costs. Hulu's UX is better than the other online TV options I've tried
Tr> (youtube tv and fubo).

It'd be interesting to see the bottom line price comparing the two,
after all the fees are added in.

.... It is simply a matter of work
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Comcast fees

<64938482.3436.dove-internet@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=70&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#70

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Nightfox
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:15:14 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Tracker1 - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:15 UTC

Re: Comcast fees
By: Nightfox to Tracker1 on Fri Jun 16 2023 11:39:55

Tr>> You might consider Hulu's TV service, which is decent, but winds up
Tr>> costing as much as cable (or more) depending on your total TV
Tr>> service costs. Hulu's UX is better than the other online TV options
Tr>> I've tried (youtube tv and fubo).

Ni> If you use Hulu with ads, one thing I've found is that their commercials
Ni> are a lot louder than the show volumen. Once the commercials start, it's a
Ni> bit annoying.

Yeah, most of the live tv does include ads, and you can't skip on a lot of them. I mostly just sail the high sees, but the Hulu UX gets family approval. I rarely use it myself.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Re: Comcast fees

<649384D8.3437.dove-internet@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=71&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#71

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:16:40 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Tracker1 - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:16 UTC

Re: Re: Comcast fees
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Tracker1 on Mon Jun 19 2023 07:49:00

PF> -=> Tracker1 wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-
Tr>> You might consider Hulu's TV service, which is decent, but winds up
Tr>> costing as much as cable (or more) depending on your total TV
Tr>> service costs. Hulu's UX is better than the other online TV options
Tr>> I've tried (youtube tv and fubo).

PF> It'd be interesting to see the bottom line price comparing the two,
PF> after all the fees are added in.

From what I recall it's mostly a toss up, or a hair more expensive for Hulu, only that the UX is better imo. I don't use either, mostly pay for what I do to avoid the guilt when I download, that and family prefers Hulu.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Comcast fees

<64947181.5899.dove_dove-int@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=72&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#72

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Tracker1
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 09:06:25 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:06 UTC

Re: Comcast fees
By: Tracker1 to Nightfox on Wed Jun 21 2023 11:15 pm

Ni>> If you use Hulu with ads, one thing I've found is that their commercials
Ni>> are a lot louder than the show volumen. Once the commercials start, it's
Ni>> a bit annoying.

Tr> Yeah, most of the live tv does include ads, and you can't skip on a lot of
Tr> them. I mostly just sail the high sees, but the Hulu UX gets family
Tr> approval. I rarely use it myself.

Yes, many of them have ads; what I was saying was that Hulu has the ad volume louder than the content you're watching. Other streaming services don't do that.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Comcast fees

<6495B7FA.1512.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=73&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#73

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 10:19:22 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:19 UTC

Re: Comcast fees
By: Nightfox to Tracker1 on Thu Jun 22 2023 09:06 am

> Yes, many of them have ads; what I was saying was that Hulu has the ad
> volume louder than the content you're watching. Other streaming services
> don't do that.

areyousureaboutthatMEME.mp4

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Comcast fees

<649B6C0F.3440.dove-internet@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=74&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#74

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Nightfox
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 23:09:03 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Tracker1 - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 23:09 UTC

Re: Comcast fees
By: Nightfox to Tracker1 on Thu Jun 22 2023 09:06:25

Ni> Yes, many of them have ads; what I was saying was that Hulu has the ad
Ni> volume louder than the content you're watching. Other streaming services
Ni> don't do that.

Didn't realize others didn't do that. Since regular TV did it, just assumed it was the ad content itself. All the better to catch my own TV whales...

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Comcast fees

<64B4D14C.3439.dove-internet@endofthelinebbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=75&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#75

From: air@VERT/EOTLBBS (Air)
To: Tracker1
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 00:27:40 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Air - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 05:27 UTC

Re: Comcast fees
By: Tracker1 to Nightfox on Tue Jun 27 2023 23:09:03

> Re: Comcast fees
> By: Nightfox to Tracker1 on Thu Jun 22 2023 09:06:25
>
> Ni> Yes, many of them have ads; what I was saying was that Hulu has the ad volume louder than the content you're watching. Other streaming services don't do that.
>
> Didn't realize others didn't do that. Since regular TV did it, just assumed it was the ad content itself. All the better to catch my own TV whales...
>

> --
> Michael J. Ryan
> +o roughneckbbs.com
> tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
>
> ---
> ■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Good Day!

I work for a cable operator in a video deparment similar to Comcast, I work for Charter Communications. The reality is that live TV Fees from providers are fully getting out of hand. As an exaple, ABC, who the owner is Disney, as a channel normally asks about 6 dollars per subscriber. Disney also forces that most packages that include ESPN must also include Disney channel which increases costs to customers. My suggestion is either go full streaming services or maybe consider options like Youtube TV or Fubo, but tbqh, pricing sometimes can be similar.

One suggestion is to start looking into the FAST offerings from options like Tubi and Pluto as a Psuedo cable service
---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com