When a camel flies, no one laughs if it doesn't get very far!

dovenet / Synchronet Baja / Captcha

SubjectAuthor
* CaptchaLord Blackfair
`* CaptchaMRO
 +* CaptchaDigital Man
 |`* CaptchaMRO
 | `* CaptchaDigital Man
 |  `- CaptchaMRO
 `* CaptchaLord Blackfair
  `* CaptchaMRO
   `- CaptchaLord Blackfair

1
Captcha

<610B4E69.8.dove-syncbaja@blackf.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=61&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#61

From: lord.blackfair@VERT/BLACKF (Lord Blackfair)
To: All
Subject: Captcha
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 15:35:21 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: Lord Blackfair - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 19:35 UTC

Got it running, had to tweak some things.
made it start before anything else. then load the login matrix as a xtrn_prog.

#Captcha program by Keith Cunningham edit to how you would like
INT R
STR A
random r 999999
CLS
#menu "Gate"
Print "\r\n Welcome to Lord Blackfair's Captcha for Synchronet BBS v4.00\r\n"
Print "\r\n To Prove you are not a BOT please enter [ The Number ] below.\r\n"

print R
Print " "
GETLINE A 6
COMPARE R A
IF_false
goto wrong
PAUSE
#Print "Welcome to The BBS!!!"

end_if
goto start
:wrong
Print "\r\nThat is not correct, Please try again.\r\n"
pause
goto home
:start
Print "Welcome to The BBS!!!"
exec_xtrn matrix

Lord Blackfair (Blackfair's Manor) blackf.synchro.net

---
■ Synchronet ■ Blackfair's Manor - blackf.synchro.net

Captcha

<610BF393.2517.syncbaja@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=62&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#62

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Lord Blackfair
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 02:20:03 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: MRO - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 07:20 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: Lord Blackfair to All on Wed Aug 04 2021 10:35 pm

> Got it running, had to tweak some things.
> made it start before anything else. then load the login matrix as a
> xtrn_prog.

so you have something for the bots to sit there and perhaps loop back if they enter any input.

and your users have to enter a long number each time.

i would rethink that.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Captcha

<610C33BB.4411.bajaprog@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=63&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#63

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 04:53:47 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: Digital Man - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 11:53 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: MRO to Lord Blackfair on Thu Aug 05 2021 09:20 am

> Re: Captcha
> By: Lord Blackfair to All on Wed Aug 04 2021 10:35 pm
>
> > Got it running, had to tweak some things.
> > made it start before anything else. then load the login matrix as a
> > xtrn_prog.
>

> so you have something for the bots to sit there and perhaps loop back if
> they enter any input.
>
> and your users have to enter a long number each time.
>
> i would rethink that.

If his goal is to experiment with/learn Baja, then he's achieving that. If the goal is keep bots from tieing up nodes, there's much easier solutions. If the goal is prevent bots from trying to authenticate with a username and password (why?), there's easier solutions (e.g. just prompt for a specific key, like ESC).

Actually letting a bot send a username and password is a good way to detect and auto-block them and that support is built-into SBBS:
https://wiki.synchro.net/howto:block-hackers
--
digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #1:
Development began in 1990 of the (unnamed at the time) Synchronet BBS software.
Norco, CA WX: 89.5°F, 40.0% humidity, 4 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Captcha

<610C90D9.10.dove-syncbaja@blackf.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=64&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#64

From: lord.blackfair@VERT/BLACKF (Lord Blackfair)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 14:31:05 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: Lord Blackfair - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 18:31 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: MRO to Lord Blackfair on Thu Aug 05 2021 09:20 am

> Re: Captcha
> By: Lord Blackfair to All on Wed Aug 04 2021 10:35 pm
>
> > Got it running, had to tweak some things.
> > made it start before anything else. then load the login matrix as a
> > xtrn_prog.
I could always rewite it so that a user has to press a key, but so far its working and i get no complaints yet.

Lord Blackfair (Blackfair's Manor) blackf.synchro.net

---
■ Synchronet ■ Blackfair's Manor - blackf.synchro.net

Captcha

<610CA1CE.2519.syncbaja@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=65&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#65

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Digital Man
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 14:43:26 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: MRO - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 19:43 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: Digital Man to MRO on Thu Aug 05 2021 11:53 am

> Re: Captcha
> By: MRO to Lord Blackfair on Thu Aug 05 2021 09:20 am
>
> > Re: Captcha
> > By: Lord Blackfair to All on Wed Aug 04 2021 10:35 pm
>
> > > Got it running, had to tweak some things.
> > > made it start before anything else. then load the login matrix as a
> > > xtrn_prog.
>

> > so you have something for the bots to sit there and perhaps loop back if
> > they enter any input.
>
> > and your users have to enter a long number each time.
>
> > i would rethink that.
>
> If his goal is to experiment with/learn Baja, then he's achieving that. If
> the goal is keep bots from tieing up nodes, there's much easier solutions.
> If the goal is prevent bots from trying to authenticate with a username and
> password (why?), there's easier solutions (e.g. just prompt for a specific
> key, like ESC).
>
> Actually letting a bot send a username and password is a good way to detect
> and auto-block them and that support is built-into SBBS:
> https://wiki.synchro.net/howto:block-hackers

and in my case i block all the ones that fail my challenge code. so, eventually the .can file gets so huge it slows down synchronet.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Captcha

<610CA86B.4414.bajaprog@vert.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=66&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#66

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 13:11:39 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: Digital Man - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 20:11 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: MRO to Digital Man on Thu Aug 05 2021 09:43 pm

> and in my case i block all the ones that fail my challenge code. so,
> eventually the .can file gets so huge it slows down synchronet.

Maybe you should rethink that design then.
--
digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #117:
Synchronet v1b r0 (for MS-DOS) was released on September 25, 1992
Norco, CA WX: 77.1°F, 54.0% humidity, 3 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Captcha

<610D39BD.2522.syncbaja@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=67&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#67

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Lord Blackfair
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 01:31:41 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: MRO - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 06:31 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: Lord Blackfair to MRO on Thu Aug 05 2021 09:31 pm

> Re: Captcha
> By: MRO to Lord Blackfair on Thu Aug 05 2021 09:20 am
>
> > Re: Captcha
> > By: Lord Blackfair to All on Wed Aug 04 2021 10:35 pm
>
> > > Got it running, had to tweak some things.
> > > made it start before anything else. then load the login matrix as a
> > > xtrn_prog.
> I could always rewite it so that a user has to press a key, but so far its
> working and i get no complaints yet.

i complained.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Captcha

<610D39D0.2523.syncbaja@bbses.info>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=68&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#68

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Digital Man
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 01:32:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: MRO - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 06:32 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: Digital Man to MRO on Thu Aug 05 2021 08:11 pm

> Re: Captcha
> By: MRO to Digital Man on Thu Aug 05 2021 09:43 pm
>
> > and in my case i block all the ones that fail my challenge code. so,
> > eventually the .can file gets so huge it slows down synchronet.
>
> Maybe you should rethink that design then.

i just trim it down every year.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Captcha

<610DB0BF.16.dove-syncbaja@blackf.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=69&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja#69

From: lord.blackfair@VERT/BLACKF (Lord Blackfair)
To: MRO
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 10:59:27 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
 by: Lord Blackfair - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 14:59 UTC

Re: Captcha
By: MRO to Lord Blackfair on Fri Aug 06 2021 08:31 am

> Re: Captcha
> By: Lord Blackfair to MRO on Thu Aug 05 2021 09:31 pm
>
> > Re: Captcha
> > By: MRO to Lord Blackfair on Thu Aug 05 2021 09:20 am
>
> > > Re: Captcha
> > > By: Lord Blackfair to All on Wed Aug 04 2021 10:35 pm

> > I could always rewite it so that a user has to press a key, but so far
> > its working and i get no complaints yet.
>

> i complained.
Yes you did. And you have a right to.